Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF Early Access Possible

Karl Magnus Troedsson talks about the possibility of offering future games in the Battlefield series as Early Access titles, reports GameInformer.com after chatting with the DICE general manager at E3. Arguably this is adding a name to how the series has always been created, as Battlefield games have traditionally shipped with a fair share of bugs. Here's word:

Throughout the conversation, Troedsson referenced an increased desire to involve the community in the development process. "We have nothing to announce, but we are having discussions when it comes to [early access]," Troedsson told us. "It comes not from a business perspective, but more from a perspective of if it would help us have a stable launch of the game."

Conversations haven't yet progressed to involve price point, and if DICE were to do it, players would be involved in the conversation about whether to proceed. "We would ask our players in a controlled way," Troedsson says. "We probably wouldn't open the floodgates for everyone, but we might do it for geographical territories or people who bought the last game. Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 14, 2014, 20:44 xXBatmanXx

Anyone else have BF games just PEG their GPU and make it overheat? This fuggin game - it has to be the terrible code t hese games have in it. I fire it up and within 10 minutes I am over 90C on my 660Ti.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 23:43 jdreyer

Wut Bats sed.

Also too: bots

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 21:27 raVen

That way they can get all the network problems fixed 3mo after they ship instead of 6mo.
WHERE DO I NOT SIGN UP. oh here. (BF3 had enough problems I just watched the BF4 fiasco from a far.)

28. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 21:03 harlock

played for an hour or so.. doesnt really feel like BF to me - more like an XTREME! version of CS or something.. except the cars - that adds a weird element to the mix

im digging it overall, altho the one map they are using is sorta meh

been playing Insurgency for a while now, so its a huge change from that kinda style

this is like a FPS produced by michael bay.. sone people will hate it, but i like that over-the-top shit

btw the performance is liquid smooth at all high settings, (consistently >60fps) on my 560ti.. wasnt expecting that

27. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 19:16 xXBatmanXx

Played for a bit today - it is floaty and feels like a BETA. Not sure why, it is a reskinned BF4....lag comp is in there HUGE. You would think they would have that built in already.

oh well. Pass for me. Cool concept, looks kind of cartoony, the colors are flat, don't' have detail, and they use a very pastel looking palette....and there was a guy that was 24-1 and he snapped on me 180 like no one's biz....just don't see how that is possible - so obviously they have no haxors protection.

Console garb?

I really enjoyed BF2, and BFBC2 was pretty awesome as well. Bought into 3 and 4 late at a huge discount - I am done with this. Just like CoD. Done and Done.

It is a slap in the face to ask for this much money up front with their current rack record. Get back to the basics of privately owned servers, 5.00-15.00 booster packs that had ACTUAL CONTENT, and quit pumped out garbage every year. Until then, I think they can all but write off the PC crowd. Sales of COD for pc were abysmal, I am assuming this will be the same.

/no coffee...half asleep....spelling sucks.....not even sure i have complete sentences...ohwell....point got through.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2014, 21:15.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 19:11 entr0py

harlock wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 18:40:
entr0py wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:36:
They may have a trendy new name for it, but haven't they been practicing "pay for beta" for over a decade now? I seem to remember one of the only ways to get into the Battlefield 2 beta was to buy a paid FilePlanet membership.

thats weird because i havent preordered or bought it, but i just got an email that said:
BOOM, IT'S GAME TIME!
You're in! You've got access to the Battlefield Hardline closed beta

I was talking about Battlefield 2, the game from 2005. But yeah, seems like Visceral Games is more reasonable than DICE when it comes to betas. This was an interview with DICE's general manager, they're not the ones developing Hardline.

25. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 18:40 harlock

entr0py wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:36:
They may have a trendy new name for it, but haven't they been practicing "pay for beta" for over a decade now? I seem to remember one of the only ways to get into the Battlefield 2 beta was to buy a paid FilePlanet membership.

thats weird because i havent preordered or bought it, but i just got an email that said:
BOOM, IT'S GAME TIME!
You're in! You've got access to the Battlefield Hardline closed beta

24. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 17:33 Julio

It just keeps making better sense to wait for the inevitable $5 or less BF sale.  

23. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 15:36 Verno

Hah that makes too much sense Elf. What they will do instead - BF Hardline $60 + $60 premium. EA would probably do a Kickstarter on it too if they thought they could get away with it.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

22. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 15:36 entr0py

They may have a trendy new name for it, but haven't they been practicing "pay for beta" for over a decade now? I seem to remember one of the only ways to get into the Battlefield 2 beta was to buy a paid FilePlanet membership. And more recently it's tied to a preorder or buying some other crappy game you don't really want (like metal of honor).

I'm guessing the only new thing about this is that they take ALL your money upfront. At least with a preorder you can cancel it if you choose to.

21. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:57 The Half Elf

It's utter bullshit. Anyone remember the video for BF3 showing they had a ton more QA testers (and whoever was the best got to wear the crappy headwear)?
BF4 comes out and it's a cluster fuck to the point they had to publicly announce that they halted all other DICE projects to 'finish' BF4.

You offer your next BF game at 29.99 for early access as a bonus to help fix the game before launch and I'd be onboard.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:40 Rattlehead

Arguably this is adding a name to how the series has always been created, as Battlefield games have traditionally shipped with a fair share of bugs
I was basically typing this

19. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:19 HorrorScope

Overall this sounds like a good idea. They need to improve quality, this will allow it and when ready they can release. The "when ready" part though needs to be adhered to.

As for if you like early access or not, if they are clear on what you are buying that is all that is ever needed. Someone can charge you a $1000 for a pinch of dirt, if they are clear and you understand what you are buying into.... well that is capitalism.

18. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:16 jamiedj99

hardline beta was a bit of a scam on the first come first serve. i got a friend who applyed like a good 7 hours before me and i got in and he didnt.  

17. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:14 SpectralMeat

Flak wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:10:
*If EA ever does early access you can bet your ass they'll charge more for early access, want BF5 early access? Only $99.99! Financing options are available!
while supplies last

Steam: SpectralMeat

16. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:10 Flak

Battlefield 4 was the last straw for (most) of us long-standing Battlefield series fans from people I've chatted with over the past year.

Seeing Battlefield Hardline pre-order for $69.99 was an affirmation that Battlefield is officially dead. The fact that Hardline is a glorified expansion pack/mod at best aside, how they can price this game HIGHER than BF4 less than a calender year between games goes to show how EA has now fully adopted the Activision 'milk it until it's dry' motto.

It's been a fun ride DICE but your once beloved baby is now an objectionable degenerate that no one with any dignity respects in the least.

Expect a Bad Company 3 announcement the week after Hardline drops, 'early access' and everything!*

*If EA ever does early access you can bet your ass they'll charge more for early access, want BF5 early access? Only $99.99! Financing options are available!

15. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 13:07 jdreyer

Atomic wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:31:
Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:33:
Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products

Well that's a first. I guess at least they're making it official now that when you buy a Battlefield title at launch, you're buying something barely worthy of a 'beta' tag.

Yea, I thought it pretty telling to admit that quality is not a normal part of their business.

Well, it's hard to have good quality when you have a huge scope and hard deadlines like "Holiday 20xx." They're incompatible.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 12:52 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 10:32:
You already release games in early access so naming them such is a step in the right direction...

I was going to say the same thing. All DICE games are early access anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 12:37 Verno

So its the status quo then?  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

12. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 12:31 Atomic

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:33:
Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products

Well that's a first. I guess at least they're making it official now that when you buy a Battlefield title at launch, you're buying something barely worthy of a 'beta' tag.

Yea, I thought it pretty telling to admit that quality is not a normal part of their business.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo