Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ TM to Return

Nordic Games announces the THQ brand will live on, as they have purchased the name of the defunct publisher, and will publish future titles under the brand in the grand tradition of other revived monikers like Atari and Westinghouse. "It was kind of surprise to some industry veterans and players that we were the winner of the auction of the THQ titles," explains Nordic General Manager Klemens Kruezer to Polygon. "The challenging fact is nobody has ever heard about Nordic Games before [the THQ auction]. There were so many articles with the headlines ‘Who the f**k is Nordic Games?’ We said, okay they were right." This transition has already begun, as the THQ Facebook page has an update from Nordic about the return of the MX vs. ATV series.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 23:36 Jerykk

THQ is obviously not a Dell or a Coca Cola in terms of branding, and I would never try to say they are, but I think in the video game industry THQ was recognized enough so that someone like Nordic is justified for looking at the label as a step up the recognition ladder. Circling back to your point about making good games, they will obviously have to do that for the THQ name to help them long term.

I don't feel like the THQ brand is renowned enough to sway casual consumers. Casual consumers probably don't even know who made incredibly popular games like GTA, CoD or Madden. THQ went out of business because most people didn't care about them or their games so I just don't see any value in their brand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 17:34 saluk

It does make a certain kind of sense to publish former THQ IP under the same name.  

11. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 16:52 Rattlehead

Tanto Edge wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 16:45:
Rattlehead wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:42:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:18:
Waste of time. If you want people to recognize your name, release good games. Taking the name of an established publisher won't automatically garner goodwill (see Infogrames).
Why? In the end it's all about revenue, and if sticking to an old moniker will help give brand name recognition, then why not?

Honestly: Would you buy a THQ game? I wouldn't buy a THQ game.
Yes, THQ published some of my favorite games of last gen.

10. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 16:45 Tanto Edge

Waste of time. If you want people to recognize your name, release good games. Taking the name of an established publisher won't automatically garner goodwill (see Infogrames).
Why? In the end it's all about revenue, and if sticking to an old moniker will help give brand name recognition, then why not?

Honestly: Would you buy a THQ game? I wouldn't buy a THQ game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 16:31 Jivaro

While I personally agree with you Jerykk, I only agree because I, like you, happen to keep up with things like this in this industry. The overwhelming vast majority of the customer base does not keep up with such things and it is that majority to which name recognition can be crucial. This is a business tactic that spans across virtually every industry and is proven to be effective.

I know this isn't really a comparable situation but humor me: If Michael Dell were ever completely bought out from Dell Computers, would the new owners change the name? Not a chance in hell. Will Coke or Pepsi products ever not say Coke or Pepsi somewhere on them? Of course not, they are always going to have that little label on them somewhere. Same for Anheiser-Busch. (sp?)

THQ is obviously not a Dell or a Coca Cola in terms of branding, and I would never try to say they are, but I think in the video game industry THQ was recognized enough so that someone like Nordic is justified for looking at the label as a step up the recognition ladder. Circling back to your point about making good games, they will obviously have to do that for the THQ name to help them long term.

8. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 15:19 Slashman

THQ published more than its share of decent games.

It was just really badly managed. If I had a choice, I'd still take them over Activision any day of the week.

7. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 14:46 Cutter

Iurand wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 14:05:
Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:52:
And if THQ were so great they wouldn't have folded, would they?

You prefer Activision?

What does one thing have to do with the other? THQ is gone and Actiblizz is swimming in cash.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 14:05 Iurand

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:52:

You prefer Activision?

5. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 13:42 Rattlehead

4. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 12:52 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 12:18 Jerykk

2. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 11:35 Creston

Normally I'd say "Who cares what name you release something under?" but in the case of Nordic Games, it does make sense. THQ is far more well-known than they are.

1. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 09:46 nin

in the grand tradition of other revived monikers like Atari

grrrr...every time the marketing goons try and claim ownership of Atari's classic history, I want to scream.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo