Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification

A video of the E3 2014 stage demo for Star Citizen is up on GameSpot where Chris Roberts presents Cloud Imperium Games' upcoming crowd-funded space combat game as it's being seen at the trade show. A post to the RSI Community Forums notes that the specs that show up at the 7:38 mark are incorrect, as there are no plans for a Mac OS X edition of the game. Developer Ben Lesnick clarifies: "Linux yes. Mac/OSX not at the time," and speculates: "(I think that Gamespot must have pulled that from the WIkipedia, which is seems to be perennially incorrect about this.)" Platform clarifications aside, the video offers almost 20 minutes on the game, showing what's currently playable.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Elite Dangerous... Jun 16, 2014, 01:11 Ant

No Linux port planned for Elite Dangerous after chatting with him in person at E3 for my friend (he made me go there, ha!). Mac OS X port will be a few weeks after Windows' release. I was bummed that SC wasn't shown for me to check out in person.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 19:45 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:32:
If Mac owners want Star Citizen, they should buy a pc.

Fixed it for you.

26. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 18:05 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:16:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:14:
I will say that Mr. Roberts is looking quite tan, giving credence to Cutter's contention that he's spent all the money on a yacht, hookers, and blow, and spends most of his time cruising the Lesser Antilles.

Bandana
I am sure that tan came from all the monitor screens as he sits in front of them coding

Oh that must be it. Seeing how far ahead of schedule they are and all. Mea culpa, mea culpa....

Angel

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 15:12 theyarecomingforyou

Flo wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:39:
Can anyone tell me what you get when you shell out 60$ (?) for the final retail copy (in 2017 or so...).
I'm totally confused by all this insurance & online universe thing.
You'll get the base game, which includes Squadron 42 (the singleplayer portion of the game), Arena Commander (the simulator portion of the game) and Star Citizen (also known as the Persistent Universe). You won't get any ships but playing through S42 will earn you enough credits to buy a starter ship like the Aurora or Mustang. You'll be able to earn all ships in-game via normal play or steal them if you're a pirate.

As for insurance, it's pretty much a non-entity. Basically it works like real life - if you have insurance and you damage your ship you will get a replacement. It will cost a nominal amount, as will the landing fees for hangars. You'll easily be able to earn enough credits to buy insurance through playing the game normally. Further, if you're really worried you'll be able to buy a limited amount of credits with real money. LTI (lifetime insurance) was offered as a perk for early backers and was given more importance than was warranted.

Accusations have been made that the game effectively amounts to P2W but the reality is that there isn't one "best" ship. Some people will want to race from one point to another and avoid combat, so will opt for something like the M50; others will want to take on other ships in dogfighting, so will opt for the Hornet; some people will want to play cooperatively with others, so will opt for something like the Idris; others will want to transport cargo, so will opt for the Banu Merchantman; others will want to cruise around in their own luxury yacht, so will opt for the 890 Jump.

There is no one definitive ship. Plus it simply reflects real life - some people will be able to afford massive ships, others will be happy with something really basic. There is also the guild system, which allows people to join a group that offers protection and perks. Personally I don't think anything will beat the satisfaction of a group of players with basic ships teaming up to take down a capital ship, of earning the best ships through skill rather than through your bank account.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 14:24 Jackplug

I believe that this game is gonna end up a P2W in the end with all its micro-transactions!  

23. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:49 Fibrocyte

WaltC wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:56:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:54:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:58:
...just...lol...
Most of the Macs use Intel integrated graphics, so it really isn't a platform to consider :p

The Intel Iris 5200 plays many games just fine on my macbook pro. Is it the ultimate gaming rig? Of course not, but I can certainly still game on it.

What you call "gaming" and what I call "gaming" are no doubt two entirely different things...;)

Probably the only Mac sold today that would be capable of running the games I play would be a Mac Pro--and even that is "maybe." And, most of those games would have to be run under Windows via Bootcamp because 95%+ of the games I play are not OpenGL and have not been ported to OS X at all.

Basically, today, building your own box is the only way to go--you can build one that's less expensive than any of the OEMs will build and sell you, and you'll have higher-quality components, with better factory warranties, as well (especially an overpriced brand like Alienware, for instance.) Business is booming in the PC DIY market--just take a gander at the hundreds of options of motherboards, power supplies, gpus, ram DIMMs, hard drives and the like that sell on Amazon. If Amazon wasn't moving a ton of them they wouldn't be listed--indeed, it would be hard to find companies selling PC components individually if there weren't millions of steady buyers globally.

Gaming, of course, is for *desktops*--doesn't matter whether you're talking Macbooks or Windows laptops, desktops are *the* way to go for gaming (not to mention they'll do everything else better, too--with only one exception: running on batteries. Desktops don't that well at all...;))

Intel integrated graphics are the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to the support of games--which is exactly why many Windows laptops feature a second gpu to be used exclusively for gaming--either an AMD or nVidia gpu, alongside the Intel igp. The Intel igp is simply insufficient for any task other than low-power operation on batteries--ie, cell-phone-like gaming support.

Our ideas of gaming aren't different. I primarily game on a gaming PC that I built and re-create with new hardware every few years.

However, I travel a lot for work and play those same games on my laptop because it is capable. Yes, I'm using bootcamp to get to Windows because there typically isn't OS X support but it would be great if I didn't have to.

Also, MBPs have the option for a secondary Nvidia video card. Though my particular model only has the Iris.

The two games I'm playing right now at a comfortable FPS with decent visuals are Wildstar and Diablo 3.

22. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:42 BIGtrouble77

ViRGE wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:31:
I don't believe CryEngine 3 is even available on Mac OS X, is it? CIG can't do a Mac version until they have Mac capabilities available upstream.
It is possible that SC team is aware of an OSX port of CryEngine that they intend to support, but can't commit publicly to it.

21. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:39 Flo

Can anyone tell me what you get when you shell out 60$ (?) for the final retail copy (in 2017 or so...).
I'm totally confused by all this insurance & online universe thing.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

20. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:34 theyarecomingforyou

I'm loving Arena Commander at the moment. SLI is still borked but running the game in a window gets around that. In fact I've had such a great time playing it that I decided to take advantage of the cross-chassis upgrades to upgrade my Aurora to a Hornet, via the 300i (so I could play all three ships) - I'll probably upgrade to the Freelancer or Redeemer when multi-crew ships are added.

Obviously the game is far from polished and it will change substantially between now and launch but what they have at the moment is very impressive.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:19 Flak

Darks wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:12:
This is what happens when dev teams get lazy and copy and paste another games specs and forget to edit out things like Max OS X.

This is what happens when posters get lazy and don't even bother to read beyond the headline.

18. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:16 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 13:14:
I will say that Mr. Roberts is looking quite tan, giving credence to Cutter's contention that he's spent all the money on a yacht, hookers, and blow, and spends most of his time cruising the Lesser Antilles.

Bandana
I am sure that tan came from all the monitor screens as he sits in front of them coding

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:14 jdreyer

Bandana

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

16. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:13 Gib007

PC Master Race cannot allow Mac OS X on the list. Bah!  

15. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:12 Flo

...just...lol...
Most of the Macs use Intel integrated graphics, so it really isn't a platform to consider :p
My Macbook Pro has a Geforce 750m GT
Of course I bootcamp into Win 8.1 for gaming

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

14. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:12 Drayth

WaltC wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:56:
What you call "gaming" and what I call "gaming" are no doubt two entirely different things...;)

This (and the rest of Walt's post).

13. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:10 jdreyer

ViRGE wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:31:
I don't believe CryEngine 3 is even available on Mac OS X, is it? CIG can't do a Mac version until they have Mac capabilities available upstream.

I was going to say that Chris Roberts must hate Apple as much as I do, but I think you have the right of it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

12. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 12:56 WaltC

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:54:
...just...lol...

The Intel Iris 5200 plays many games just fine on my macbook pro. Is it the ultimate gaming rig? Of course not, but I can certainly still game on it.

Probably the only Mac sold today that would be capable of running the games I play would be a Mac Pro--and even that is "maybe." And, most of those games would have to be run under Windows via Bootcamp because 95%+ of the games I play are not OpenGL and have not been ported to OS X at all.

Basically, today, building your own box is the only way to go--you can build one that's less expensive than any of the OEMs will build and sell you, and you'll have higher-quality components, with better factory warranties, as well (especially an overpriced brand like Alienware, for instance.) Business is booming in the PC DIY market--just take a gander at the hundreds of options of motherboards, power supplies, gpus, ram DIMMs, hard drives and the like that sell on Amazon. If Amazon wasn't moving a ton of them they wouldn't be listed--indeed, it would be hard to find companies selling PC components individually if there weren't millions of steady buyers globally.

Gaming, of course, is for *desktops*--doesn't matter whether you're talking Macbooks or Windows laptops, desktops are *the* way to go for gaming (not to mention they'll do everything else better, too--with only one exception: running on batteries. Desktops don't that well at all...;))

Intel integrated graphics are the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to the support of games--which is exactly why many Windows laptops feature a second gpu to be used exclusively for gaming--either an AMD or nVidia gpu, alongside the Intel igp. The Intel igp is simply insufficient for any task other than low-power operation on batteries--ie, cell-phone-like gaming support.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

11. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 12:12 Darks

This is what happens when dev teams get lazy and copy and paste another games specs and forget to edit out things like Max OS X.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

10. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 11:54 Fibrocyte

...just...lol...

9. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 11:39 Wildone

The interviewer looks really bored  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo