Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website announces Star Citizen has hit the $46 million milestone in crowd-sourced funding less than a week after passing the $45 million mark (thanks 88fingers and MammonLord). Chairman Roberts offers details on the "Updated Scanning Software" this adds to the space combat game, and reveals the winner of last week's poll for their next commercial. He caps things off with a new poll, which asks whether they should continue to offer stretch goals, as he explains in this excerpt:

This brings me to the topic of stretch goals. When we started the Star Citizen campaign, the purpose of the stretch goals was to make things we had imagined but didn’t think we could afford possible: adding capital ship systems, studying procedural generation, hiring additional artists to build more ships at once and the like. The additional funding continues to expand the scope of the game and make what we’re doing possible… but it’s becoming more and more difficult to quantify that with more stretch goals (and to explain that to the rest of the world, which likes to focus only on how much money we’ve made.)

My preference would be to use these letters going forward to update you on what we’re already doing with the money; sharing additional parts of Star Citizen’s development. We would also continue to award flare and other extras to our backers as we hit milestones, whether they’re funding or schedule-related. If we discover additional technologies or come up with new elements to the game’s design we want to incorporate, we’ll let you know about those as they happen. But this is a decision for the community: let me know what you think in the poll below.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 14, 2014, 01:14 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:24:
Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:00:
Phasenoise wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:13:
Stretch goal for 47M - Peter Molyneaux joins up to design stretch goals.

That made me choke on my water.

It's Friday. Why are you still drinking water? Break out the Scotch!

Never drink Scotch while reading comments. Otherwise you waste good Scotch when someone makes a funny.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 15:29 BobBob

Cabezone wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 01:17:
If you go through Cutters history you'll find they're all well thought out...he's highly intellectual and has a great sense of humor.

Fixed.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2014, 15:37.

41. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 15:24 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:00:

It's Friday. Why are you still drinking water? Break out the Scotch!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

40. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 13:58 Comet

InBlack wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:01:
Comet wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 08:38:
Stopping the stretch goals won't stop people from pledging. Obviously it makes little sense to stop accepting funds. They continue to attract more people simply because people are interested in a cinematic space Sim. Besides, the most important module of all, the dogfighting module is out so people can evaluate for themselves.
What I don't understand in some of the opinions expressed is why some think that they will fail simply because of the huge amount of money they have raised.
Why more money necessarily means failure?

Its not that more money = failure. Its the ridiculous strechgoals that seem to spell, BAD MISMANAGEMENT. You cant keep adding features to a project once production has started in earnest. Your programmers will hate you and you will end up behind schedule and with crappy software. You have heard of featurecreep I take it? Well this is it. And then some.

But they're not adding new features. There is no feature creep.
For instance the Arena Commander was promised at the $16 Million stretch goal. Honestly, Arena Commander is not a new feature. It's simply a way to test gameplay scenarios. Elite Dangerous is doing the same with the different combat scenarios demos.
Fact is, their just doing what anyone would do. Accept money for long term goals and company sustainability. They're aiming for a similar development system as Eve Online that has existed for more than 14 years.
Basically you do the core game and instead of doing a new Star Citizen in 5-8 years they simply build on top of the existing one.

In fact, everything they've been showing as stretch goals is minor stuff that was going to be in the game in the first place... Think about it. Unlocking star systems? The plan is to have 100 systems in the first place. Their just announcing systems that were already planned.
There are ambitious stretch goals. For instance the R&D team that will look into procedural generation. But this are long term goals that will only come a long time after the games release.
I'm not inventing anything. When the game reached $20 Million CIG stated this :
"there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game."

Also when they reached $39 Million they stated :
"Now it’s time to look a little further in the future!
Star Citizen isn’t just about the game we launch with...we want to build Star Citizen in a way that the experience will be fresh in five years, ten years and into the foreseeable future.
This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen."

The game has long been funded. They'll probably reach the target functionality on time for an expected release sometime in 2016 (for Star Citizen). 2015 for Squadron 42. And I can assure you that not all features will be in it.
They will have the basic functionality that makes any MMO an MMO.
You know, guild system (organizations), player driven economy, events system and so on.
Take a good look at the stretch goals, then compare that with the typical MMO like Guild Wars 2 or Eve Online.
Any MMO is as complex as Star Citizen and usually take about 4-5 years to make. The game is in it's second year of development. So two more years to go. (2016 release date as expected)
By the way. The game will surely be delayed. (what big budget game doesn't get delayed?)

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2014, 05:45.

39. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 12:00 Creston

38. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:35 Harrowing

saluk wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 03:37:
Deciding to end stretch goals - smart. Putting that decision up to a vote - signifies everything wrong with how this project is being run.

No one is steering the ship.

The fat-wallet horde that gets excited about a helmet-flip is steering the ship.

37. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:29 Jamil20

He wants to stop, because they're not needed any more to generate revenue. Nobody has been pledging for these stretch goals in a while. People are paying to buy the virtual ships. They made 1 million this week by putting up for sale 3 new variations of an existing ship.  

36. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:28 InBlack

Tumbler wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:16:
It would be crazy to stop offering stretch goals. The goals are currently in game items like a scanner kit and engine tuner. Things I would assume cost very little credits and take almost no time to make internally.

No offense Tumbler, but from that post I can see that you know next to nothing about programming or project development.

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:19 SpectralMeat

Tumbler wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:16:
It would be crazy to stop offering stretch goals. The goals are currently in game items like a scanner kit and engine tuner. Things I would assume cost very little credits and take almost no time to make internally.
Do you seriously think that the funding these guys are getting because of the stretch goals offered?
Gee I really want an in game towel, we are so close to reach that other million, here is another $1,000.
I'd much rather see them focus on the game and deliver on that than waste time with stupid in game nick nacks that are useless.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:16 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

33. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:13 Phasenoise

32. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:04 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 08:25:
That is finally some good thinking from CR.
Why he put that up for voting is beyond me though, it is so obvious he should stop the stretch goals and focus on finishing the core game.

I think that he wants an excuse, any excuse to keep the money rolling in. This is why he put it up for a vote, its rather obvious how the rabid fanbois are going to vote...

31. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:01 InBlack

Comet wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 08:38:
Stopping the stretch goals won't stop people from pledging. Obviously it makes little sense to stop accepting funds. They continue to attract more people simply because people are interested in a cinematic space Sim. Besides, the most important module of all, the dogfighting module is out so people can evaluate for themselves.
What I don't understand in some of the opinions expressed is why some think that they will fail simply because of the huge amount of money they have raised.

Its not that more money = failure. Its the ridiculous strechgoals that seem to spell, BAD MISMANAGEMENT. You cant keep adding features to a project once production has started in earnest. Your programmers will hate you and you will end up behind schedule and with crappy software. You have heard of featurecreep I take it? Well this is it. And then some.

30. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 08:38 Comet

29. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 08:25 SpectralMeat

That is finally some good thinking from CR.
Why he put that up for voting is beyond me though, it is so obvious he should stop the stretch goals and focus on finishing the core game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 07:49 Mr. Tact

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 22:46:
where is this mythical ignore button? I can never find it.
Click on the username link. Then on their page is another link to ignore them.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 07:41 dj LiTh

Havent given 1$, and i certainly wont until this game gets released, and reviewed.  

26. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 07:21 KilrathiAce

I expect best toilet flush animation in all of gaming.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

25. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 03:37 saluk

Deciding to end stretch goals - smart. Putting that decision up to a vote - signifies everything wrong with how this project is being run.

No one is steering the ship.

24. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 03:23 InBlack

Hang on? CR thinks they should just concentrate on making a game with the funds they already have? What is this? Common Sense?? No that cant be right, here light that cigar with another grand. Its time to discover new and completely unecessary aditions that this project sorely needs! Ahoy Silver!!! AWAY!!!!  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo