Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Carmack-Free QuakeCon

Though John Carmack offered to speak at QuakeCon in spite of his departure from id Software, it turns out the id co-founder will not be speaking at this year's installment in the gaming gathering. It seems logical that the lawsuit over his work between id Software parent Zenimax and his new employer Oculus VR factors into it, but whatever the reason, Mr. Carmack tweeted the following explanation: "Since the question keeps getting asked -- no, I am not going to be at Quakecon this year. My 2.5 hr talk at SMU should still be released."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 13, 2014, 22:17 raVen

Aww! Finally when my schedule is clear and I have cash to go, there's no point.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 13, 2014, 14:27 Jackplug

No Carmack talk!!, No point in going! QuakeCon is Carmack, take him away and all you will have is a mass link up!  

13. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 13, 2014, 11:55 pagb

ViRGE wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 20:03:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 19:48:
So we are not going to have to listen eight hours of techno graphics driver memory utilization texture swapping storage
Correct. It was the best part of the show by far. Carmack knows so much, and unlike so few engine developers is willing to share it and is articulate enough to do so effectively.
...and he actually pulls it out in a way I can understand it!

12. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2014, 08:45 nin

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 06:05:
So we are not going to have to listen eight hours of techno graphics driver memory utilization texture swapping storage techno bable self congratulatory arrogant egotistic vain BULLSHIT??? Seriously??

^This because of this---> "Since the question keeps getting asked -- no, I am not going to be at Quakecon this year."

Par for the course with him.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2014, 06:05 LibertyOrDeath

So we are not going to have to listen eight hours of techno graphics driver memory utilization texture swapping storage techno bable self congratulatory arrogant egotistic vain BULLSHIT??? Seriously??

^This because of this---> "Since the question keeps getting asked -- no, I am not going to be at Quakecon this year."

10. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 13, 2014, 00:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

*sheds tear.

The end of an era. Of course he'll probably be back next year.

9. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 13, 2014, 00:13 BobBob

The captain has left the ship.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 23:21 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 22:50:
{Kosh} And so it ends {/Kosh}

{Delenn}...in fire, but not in darkness...{/Delenn}

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2014, 11:38.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

7. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 22:50 Creston

{Kosh} And so it ends {/Kosh}

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 20:47 Rigs

I still want that monitor, Carmack!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

5. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 20:13 Wallshadows

Lets talk about mega textures!  

4. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 20:07 Parias

Nuts, Carmack was pretty much the only reason I still paid any attention at all to QuakeCon.  

3. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 20:03 ViRGE

So we are not going to have to listen eight hours of techno graphics driver memory utilization texture swapping storage
Correct. It was the best part of the show by far. Carmack knows so much, and unlike so few engine developers is willing to share it and is articulate enough to do so effectively.

2. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 19:48 [VG]Reagle

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

1. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 19:13 Cutter

So there's no more point in going is what they're really saying.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2014, 20:50.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo