Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up

The Mojang blog follows up on the recent dustup over commercial Minecraft server operation with a clarification of their position of what server operators are allowed to do. Here are the does and don'ts:

You are allowed to accept donations
You are allowed to accept donations from players. You can thank them publicly or in-game, but canít give preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.

You are allowed to provide in-game advertising or sponsorship opportunities
You are allowed to put adverts in your Minecraft worlds to help with costs. If used within reason, adverts and sponsorship can be appropriate ways to fund a server.

You are allowed to sell in-game items so long as they donít affect gameplay
We donít mind you selling items in game, but they must be purely cosmetic. Pets, hats, and particle effects are OK, but swords, invincibility potions, and man-eating pigs are not. We want all players to be presented with the same gameplay features, whether they decide to pay or not.

There is one exception to this rule Ė capes! We have a lot of fun making cool capes for extra-special members of our community and Minecon attendees. Weíd like to keep them as exclusive as possible. So, yeah, no capes please, even if youíre giving them away for free.

You cannot charge real-world cash for in-game currency
We donít mind in-game currencies which are earned through playing, but you are not allowed to sell them for real-world cash. Remember Ė if the stuff you sell affects gameplay, weíre not cool with it.

Donít pretend to be us. Provide your customers with loads of info
If you do decide to monetise your server, you must clearly state that the purchase is not associated with Mojang, declare who the money is going to, and provide a purchase history and contact details. You should also check the legality of selling digital items in your specific region.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 13, 2014, 06:04 Cpmartins

Whatever they do to enforce this, can easily be modded out. The only thing they can do is block the offending servers from their official forums lists.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 23:04 Jivaro

gotcha, thanks.  

3. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 21:02 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:37:
I am not a Minecraft player so my understanding of how the servers work etc is limited. I tried it, loved the concept and have been in awe of what people have done with it, but I myself never got into it despite having bought it on 3 platforms because 3 nieces and a nephew love it. Does Mojang actually have a technical/physical way of enforcing any of this or is just the threat of legal action that is supposed to carry some sort of weight?
They don't have a technical means at the moment, so it's purely a legal threat. But if it became an issue they could always develop one. This is still a game under full time active development, after all.

2. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 19:51 Wallshadows

The first rule reminds me of when you would visit Wirt in the first Diablo. You're not paying for the item, you're giving it to him as a gesture of goodwill and the item just happens to be there.

..or something like that.

1. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 18:37 Jivaro

I am not a Minecraft player so my understanding of how the servers work etc is limited. I tried it, loved the concept and have been in awe of what people have done with it, but I myself never got into it despite having bought it on 3 platforms because 3 nieces and a nephew love it. Does Mojang actually have a technical/physical way of enforcing any of this or is just the threat of legal action that is supposed to carry some sort of weight?  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo