Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

VR Game The Assembly Announced

The Assembly website announces The Assembly, an upcoming game from nDreams (Xi) designed specifically as a virtual reality experience, targeting PCs using Oculus Rift headsets and PS4s with Project Morpheus support (thanks All Games Beta). They are accepting newsletter signups, offer an E3 trailer, and provide the following outline of what to expect:

We're delighted to be announcing The Assembly at E3, where we have revealed our first trailer and shown off an early demo of the game itself. The Assembly is coming to PS4 (with Project Morpheus support) and PC (with Oculus Rift support) and has been designed from the ground up to be a perfect VR adventure experience. The Assembly is on track to be available at launch with both these headsets. We'll aim to update this site fairly regularly with new information and articles about the game. In the meantime, please sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with all the exciting VR projects that we're working on!

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 13, 2014, 03:28 saluk

Same. Horror = ugh. Not quite horror, but I recently played this time travel demo where one of the scenarios puts you in a flat in 1941 right before the planes fly over london. Really basic graphics and sounds, but it was enough to cause a real reaction in me enough that I had to take off the headset.

With great power comes great responsibility devs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 19:49 jdreyer

Earlyworm wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:00:
Quboid wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 17:08:

I already hate horror games in my DK1. That shit's just not enjoyable.

I couldn't agree more.. I am really not excited about all those horror games after I tried a few on my DK1 (e.g. Affected)
They were simply too much for me - it was too real!

Mwahahaha! In 5 years they'll be 4K, and you'll be totally enclosed visually and aurally with 7.1 surround sound headphones! Ignore that warm feeling in your pants.

It's as close in our lifetimes as we'll get to jacking into the Matrix.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 19:26 Quboid

Earlyworm wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:00:

I couldn't agree more.. I am really not excited about all those horror games after I tried a few on my DK1 (e.g. Affected)

Eurotruck simulator was however fantastic.. except for the low resolution of DK1.

Resolution aside, that's where it excels. Any cockpit based game is ideal as your body is in sync with your "body".

Playing War Thunder, a mediocre online flight sim, it's just a joy to be able to look around. It felt more natural immediately than TrackIR ever did and the innate ability to just know where straight ahead is (from the angle of your neck) makes such a difference, and is such an advantage. I honest don't know if non-VR flight sims can ever really appeal any more.

I highly recommend Solar System Explorer if you have a Rift. It's a wonderful demonstration of how sims can embrace VR.

- Quboid

12. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 18:00 Earlyworm

Eurotruck simulator was however fantastic.. except for the low resolution of DK1.

11. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 17:09 Fion

First of many VR-only titles coming down the pipeline I'm sure. THe most amazing thing about modern VR is how it interacts with the visual cortex. Even though what you see doesn't look real, your brain interprets it as real. So I totally believe the guy on Joystick screamed like a child playing a horror game.

It's why I would love a superman or spiderman style game, flying or swinging through a city, saving people. Set up a nearby oscillating fan and the immersion would be incredible.

10. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 17:08 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:35:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:15:
Yeah, I really feel that VR is probably the biggest revolution in PC gaming since the invention of accelerated graphics. In the same way that accelerated graphics brought FPS games to the forefront while relegating the adventure and turn-based strategy genres (among others) to the back burner, it will cause a renaissance in sim, sim-lite, driving, and horror games.

Horror especially. Don't remember if it was linked to here but Joystiq did a an Oculus enabled preview of Alien Isolation and apparently it made the guy scream like a little girl. I remember reading about the audience reactions from the first movie. Since then we've become desensitized to a lot of that stuff and I think VR is a good way to reverse that.

- Quboid

9. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 15:35 NegaDeath

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:15:
Yeah, I really feel that VR is probably the biggest revolution in PC gaming since the invention of accelerated graphics. In the same way that accelerated graphics brought FPS games to the forefront while relegating the adventure and turn-based strategy genres (among others) to the back burner, it will cause a renaissance in sim, sim-lite, driving, and horror games.

Horror especially. Don't remember if it was linked to here but Joystiq did a an Oculus enabled preview of Alien Isolation and apparently it made the guy scream like a little girl. I remember reading about the audience reactions from the first movie. Since then we've become desensitized to a lot of that stuff and I think VR is a good way to reverse that.

8. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 15:34 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:19:
I was hoping for a learning game with the title that it has. I never learned much chemistry. I wasn't good with abstract thought, but if I could actually see what they're talking about and manipulate it in front of me, I bet that I could have picked up more of it.

Would you say chemistry Borred you?

7. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 13:19 Bill Borre

I was hoping for a learning game with the title that it has. I never learned much chemistry. I wasn't good with abstract thought, but if I could actually see what they're talking about and manipulate it in front of me, I bet that I could have picked up more of it.  

6. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 13:15 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:31:
Id much use the Rift with Skyrim. Or DCS. Or Project Cars. Or Il2:BOS, or etc. etc. etc. etc....

Yeah, I really feel that VR is probably the biggest revolution in PC gaming since the invention of accelerated graphics. In the same way that accelerated graphics brought FPS games to the forefront while relegating the adventure and turn-based strategy genres (among others) to the back burner, it will cause a renaissance in sim, sim-lite, driving, and horror games. And I think it will even spawn new genres, like maybe an "exploration" genre similar to the old adventure titles, but much more immersive. And I'm sure some creative & smart people will figure out uses for it we haven't even considered. I'm pretty stoked about it.

5. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 12:41 Task

what in the world is this... mad scientist VR simulator?  

4. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 10:52 Wildone

3. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 09:49 InBlack

Wildone wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:44:
You can already..

My point, exactly!

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 09:44 Wildone

You can already..  

1. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 09:31 InBlack

Id much use the Rift with Skyrim. Or DCS. Or Project Cars. Or Il2:BOS, or etc. etc. etc. etc....  

I have a nifty blue line!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo