Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details

The Steam listing for the newly announced edition of Grand Theft Auto V coming to Windows this fall. This offers a bit more on how the open-world action game will take advantage of more powerful systems, including more cars, as the original console versions have the traffic density of the Dakotas in spite of being set in a fictionalized version of the parking lot that is Los Angeles. Word is: "Grand Theft Auto V for PC will take full advantage of the power of PC to deliver across-the-board enhancements including increased resolution and graphical detail, denser traffic, greater draw distances, upgraded AI, new wildlife, and advanced weather and damage effects for the ultimate open world experience."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 16, 2014, 10:57 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:26:
Bludd wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:13:
If GTA V PC follows Max Payne 3 PC in the technical department, it will not be GTA IV all over again.

Yup. Added bonus is that MP3 and GTA5 run on the same engine, so that should help.

I can't imagine that Rockstar would go to the effort of doing a PC version with all these upgraded things (showing they actually ARE putting effort into it), and then just half-ass the performance part again like they did with 4.

Then again, it IS the game industry, and half-ass'ing shit seems to be the way to do things...

I believe that GTAIV was the first PC title to use the RAGE engine that powers all of these, and it would be a safe bet, given how much better MP3 performs, that we should expect much better performance in GTAV when it is released.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 22:43 Rigs

Slashman wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 19:55:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:17:
Kosumo wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:01:
Can you Americans hurry up and finish your summer already, go on, move your fall forward, you know you want too!

After the winter we had in NA? No chance in hell! Much as I want this I'm more than content for fall to be delayed as long as possible this year. We're still thawing out and need the heat!

What's this winter you speak of? Must be something we don't get here in the Caribbean. Evilgrin

*Looks outside to thermometer* - 82F at 10:15pm...fuuuuck me! And it's only the middle of June?! Crying

I'm with nin on the whole open-world thing, I'm a total addict! Minecraft, GTA-SA/4/5, Oblivion/Skyrim, JustCause, ETS2, DriverSanFran...anything I can get my hands on, and if it's in space, all the better!

The one thing I'm really looking forward to and hope they implement soon is real dynamic weather and cloud formation. None of this skybox/parallax bullshit. Real, honest to god dynamic clouds with dynamic storms. I was just thinking about this tonight how it would be awesome if *R somehow implemented a big storm, like a hurricane, to hit SA/LS during the game day, like with the occasional storms and rain/lightning, but more severe. Maybe have radio warnings and reports, road closures, storm surge that floods the beach and shore areas and then have the Army/National Guard come out to police the area, giving you the opportunity to plan heists based on the weather forecast. Wouldn't that kick ass?! Everyone evacuating so you lay low somewhere and hide until everyone is gone and then do a heist/robbery during the storm? That would rock! Or maybe severe thunderstorms and tornadoes? Again, with warnings over the radio and sirens blaring. (Yes, I'm a weather fanatic, too!)

I've been waiting a long time for a weather-related game to come out. Maybe an updated SimEarth? Where you can see the impact of multiple hurricane strikes on a region over a period of years or centuries? Watch a storm like the one in HALO: REACH form dynamically from birth to dissipation? *shivers*

Man, I wish (...I wish I was little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat, And a six-four 'pala...)

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

34. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 19:55 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:17:
Can you Americans hurry up and finish your summer already, go on, move your fall forward, you know you want too!

After the winter we had in NA? No chance in hell! Much as I want this I'm more than content for fall to be delayed as long as possible this year. We're still thawing out and need the heat!

What's this winter you speak of? Must be something we don't get here in the Caribbean. Evilgrin

33. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 18:20 nin

I blame Hoop - he has the winter currently and won't release it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 18:17 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 18:01 Kosumo

30. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 17:15 nin

Rhett wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 17:12:
Dacron wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:10:
nin wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:01:
Rhett wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 14:47:
Please don't push that absolutely vile Rockstar Social Club bullshit on us this time.. It's done so much damage already, with GTA 4 and Max Payne 3. :/

It wasn't required on the consoles, but it was extremely handy in tracking missions and showing what neat stuff you'd not found yet, including where they were on the map...

You also got free singleplayer garages, and access to extra cars (The GTR equivalent, elegy RH8) for signing up for Rockstar Social... I know my singleplayer garages are packed with high $$$ rides. Well, multiplayer too (adder... entity xf... comet.... and another 6... god it's all so purdy)

I won't refute that it tracks everything and puts all kinds of info at easy access, but the DRM itself was terrible. It locked a lot of people out of Max Payne 3 (PC) for over a month before they decided to fix it, for example. Had issues with it in multiplayer, as well, because fuck it.. why not have 3 DRM mechanics on top of eachother? (GFWL + R* Social Club + Steam) -- Hopefully the loss of GFWL will alleviate some of those issues, but Social Club left a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, I'll put it this way: There's nothing Social Club showed you that you couldn't find in the menus (stats) or on any guide/walkthough online.

I liked it, but I can totally understand your position, and would prefer it be optional for everyone.

29. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 17:12 Rhett

Dacron wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:10:
Please don't push that absolutely vile Rockstar Social Club bullshit on us this time.. It's done so much damage already, with GTA 4 and Max Payne 3. :/

It wasn't required on the consoles, but it was extremely handy in tracking missions and showing what neat stuff you'd not found yet, including where they were on the map...

You also got free singleplayer garages, and access to extra cars (The GTR equivalent, elegy RH8) for signing up for Rockstar Social... I know my singleplayer garages are packed with high $$$ rides. Well, multiplayer too (adder... entity xf... comet.... and another 6... god it's all so purdy)

I won't refute that it tracks everything and puts all kinds of info at easy access, but the DRM itself was terrible. It locked a lot of people out of Max Payne 3 (PC) for over a month before they decided to fix it, for example. Had issues with it in multiplayer, as well, because fuck it.. why not have 3 DRM mechanics on top of eachother? (GFWL + R* Social Club + Steam) -- Hopefully the loss of GFWL will alleviate some of those issues, but Social Club left a bad taste in my mouth.

28. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 16:45 Xero

I don't think it'll have a problem running on PC. Isn't the engine just a modified GTA 4 engine? A few more bells and whistles including additional bells and whistles to make use of PC hardware.
I think we have plenty of hardware out right now to handle it just fine. In fact I think we have hardware that is even beyond this game... We do have Unreal Engine 4...

Currently playing: Skyrim

27. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 15:22 saluk

harlock wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:02:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:41:
This game is going to run very poorly on PC, just like GTA IV did when it came out. I still remember tweaking GTA IV for days on end and I had a pretty beastly machine at the time. It took a few more generations of hardware to max it out at relatively high and consistent FPS. It will look amazing, but I bet it will be at very low FPS. It runs pretty good on an old xbox 360, but that's with most of the graphics options toned down. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing for such an old console. In a few years, we'll be able to run it on max settings but I doubt that many people will be able to at launch.

for some reason i get the feeling rockstar wont be repeating that mistake

it could just be wishful thinking, but i dont know.. gotta keep in mind this gen consoles are almost exactly the same as gaming pc architecture, unlike last gen

it would be nice to see some footage of it running on pc tho

Yeah I really doubt it will be as bad as IV. Modern PCs run IV just fine, and I don't see V as pushing the tech that much more that it would be a problem. It's also a different era of console-pc ports, most companies have gotten a lot better at it since then.

26. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 15:10 Dacron

25. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 15:01 nin

24. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 14:47 Rhett

23. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 13:24 Frags4Fun

jomisab wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:16:
harlock wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:42:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:32:
I've heard rumors that the next gen of video cards will have at least 6 GB of video memory as a standard. That's not exactly good news for those of us who have invested in SLI/Crossfire systems that may be obsolete in the near future.

this ties in to my conspiracy theory about why so many new games were delayed or held back until next year, right around when these cards will start shipping

on a side note, a 6gb gfx card sounds sweet as hell.. ive been waiting for the new stuff for a long while now, saving up and slumming it with my ancient 560ti

The 6GB version of the 780 is tempting, but I have 2 GB 680 now, and so I'll hold off for the 880.

You may be correct about your conspiracy theory, harlock. I have a feeling that we may see some changes to PC gaming architecture even beyond increased VRAM.

jomisab, I'm also using GTX 680's 2 GB (SLI w/triple monitor). They work great except that they lack adequate VRAM and the last few games have made me think about upgrades. I should probably sell them before they become obsolete. /sigh

22. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 13:16 jomisab

harlock wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:42:
I've heard rumors that the next gen of video cards will have at least 6 GB of video memory as a standard. That's not exactly good news for those of us who have invested in SLI/Crossfire systems that may be obsolete in the near future.

this ties in to my conspiracy theory about why so many new games were delayed or held back until next year, right around when these cards will start shipping

on a side note, a 6gb gfx card sounds sweet as hell.. ive been waiting for the new stuff for a long while now, saving up and slumming it with my ancient 560ti

The 6GB version of the 780 is tempting, but I have 2 GB 680 now, and so I'll hold off for the 880.

21. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 12:42 harlock

20. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 11:49 Cutter

Is there some particular reason they're not offering a firm date yet?  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 11:34 nin

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:29:
nin wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:03:
Pop in was evident, especially on a certain mission where you had to fly a plane low to the ground near the lake, and this one giant tree would pop in half a second in front of you, causing the plane to blow up (holy shit that one was frustrating).

GGGNNNNNGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! THAT FUCKING TREE!!!

I hit it the first time and had no idea what happened. Did I just not see it? WTF?

The second time I flew to the exact same spot and, eyes wide, so as not to blink, it teleported in right in front of me - "AH-HA MOTHERFUCKER! I SAW THAT!!!!!!"

edit: I think there were even reddit posts titled "That tree" or the like, and you knew exactly what it was before reading it. It was that bad...

18. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 11:32 Frags4Fun

harlock wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:02:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:41:
This game is going to run very poorly on PC, just like GTA IV did when it came out. I still remember tweaking GTA IV for days on end and I had a pretty beastly machine at the time. It took a few more generations of hardware to max it out at relatively high and consistent FPS. It will look amazing, but I bet it will be at very low FPS. It runs pretty good on an old xbox 360, but that's with most of the graphics options toned down. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing for such an old console. In a few years, we'll be able to run it on max settings but I doubt that many people will be able to at launch.

for some reason i get the feeling rockstar wont be repeating that mistake

it could just be wishful thinking, but i dont know.. gotta keep in mind this gen consoles are almost exactly the same as gaming pc architecture, unlike last gen

it would be nice to see some footage of it running on pc tho

The thing that worries me about the new consoles is the use of shared memory (VRAM and System RAM are shared). That could prove to be a huge problem for current gaming PC's. We've already seen how poorly Watch Dogs runs on PC as a result of this shared memory (among other reasons). People are saying that video cards will need 6+ GB of VRAM in order to run ports from the new consoles unless the devs of each game go the extra mile to re-optimize the games with PC architecture in mind. We've all seen how poorly many of the ports from console to PC have been done in the past and I expect that to only get worse. I have some hope that GTA V won't have this problem since it wasn't originally designed for these new consoles but I guess we won't know for sure until it's released.

17. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 11:31 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:29:
The chat was fine, are you sure the rest of us weren't just drunk?

I didn't like the codec they used on the PS3, the PS4 voice chat is vastly improved.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo