Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible

A CapcomUnity E3 2014 Dead Rising 3 PC Twitch broadcast offers a look at the upcoming PC edition of Dead Rising 3 (thanks NeoGAF). Capcom says PC owners will be able to unlock the game's set 30 FPS limitation, but they should do so at their own risk, because they don't know what will happen (and are apparently too terrified to try). "When we started the PC project we knew we weren't gonna be able to guarantee anything above 30 frames-per-second. We're not gonna stop you from uncapping the frame rate, but we can't guarantee the experience," they explain. "We just really don't know what's gonna happen. You might see some weird stuff with physics, some weird stuff with zombies."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 13, 2014, 05:50 The Magician

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:13:
They don't know what happens with uncapped FPS? I'll tell you what happens, higher FPS. What else would happen? Nothing is the only other option.

That's like a carpenter saying I built a closet and never opened the door, who knows what could be behind it? An astral portal? The ocean? Nope a small dark area.

Love the name and image, happen to be listening to that album right as I read this thread.

Actually, lots of things could happen. Since games must necessarily clock pretty much everything based on their frame rate, as opposed to real time, it would be damn near impossible to determine what will happen as soon as you throw a different input into all the math behind the scenes. You could easily end up with camera issues, physics issues, animation issues, pretty much everything in the game could fail spectacularly. Maybe awesomely. Maybe horrifically.

Frankly, though, this just shows what I think we already know -- Capcom doesn't give one flying f**k about PC users. Every Capcom PC port that I've played has been absolute trash, far worse than the games themselves were. As a developer, I'd be embarrassed to have my name on a Capcom PC port.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 21:30 descender

Never been killed by a room full of cups and plates flying at 900mph in Skyrim? Turn off vsync for a while :p  

19. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 19:39 Overon

I still remember the Dead Rising trailer that got everyone's hopes up. And the game turned out be meh. And why would we think that Dead Rising 3 would be any better? Locking 30 fps and saying that's acceptable is silly and the apologists can fuck right off with that notion. I vote no, with my wallet.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2014, 19:50.

18. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 17:55 KilrathiAce

Is this some kind of comedy/parody PR from Capcom? I hope so because if they were serious then someone there needs a new job.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

17. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 17:55 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:19:
They don't know what happens with uncapped FPS? I'll tell you what happens, higher FPS. What else would happen? Nothing is the only other option.

That's like a carpenter saying I built a closet and never opened the door, who knows what could be behind it? An astral portal? The ocean? Nope a small dark area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDA37BmvNwM

Fair enough, I haven't seen a game personally, but I see it is possible. Leave it to EA.

16. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 17:00 entr0py

Weird stuff with zombies you say? Sign me up.

Also, nice example nin. I can't wait to see the broken physics while plowing through a horde of zombies at 60fps.

15. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 15:19 nin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDA37BmvNwM

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 15:13 HorrorScope

13. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 13:06 DangerDog

So these "next gen" consoles are already dragging down the PC's capabilities, sounds like a lazy port.  

12. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 12:52 Rhett

Just ploppin' this out with a shovel, eh?  

11. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 12:23 ASeven

"This game is optimized for 30 fps on PC."

Holy shit, he said this with a serious tone.

10. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:32 Creston

It's not that they're too terrified to try, it's that they have zero testers within their company, and the rest of them have no clue how to actually troubleshoot something.

9. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:31 ViRGE

TheEmissary wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:10:
Sounds like portions of the engine are tied to framerate assumptions. Remember on the new Need for Speed game when you uncap the framerate I think that is what they are afraid would happen. I don't know why this is still an issue as the graphical frame rate doesn't have to be tied to the physics simulation speed.
It's much, much easier if you do. Having the simulation decoupled from rendering introduces some additional complexity and performance concerns, things which developers can forgo on the consoles since it's a fixed platform.

Games that are locked at 30Hz are fairly rare, but you'd be surprised at the number of games that are similarly locked at 60Hz. Assassin's Creed, Rage/Wolfenstein, etc. In an ideal world this shouldn't be happening, but as you can tell we live in a world that's far from ideal.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2014, 20:31.

8. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:15 HoSpanky

ViRGE wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:40:
Asmodai wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:59:
Ffs, they couldn't find a work experience kid somewhere that would come hang out for the day, play the game unlocked and say "well, this is the shit that happened."??

I bet they know exactly what's going to happen. But it's also budgeted as a straight port, so there's no time and funding to try to fix any bugs that occur when the physics engine operates above 30Hz.

In which case this is most decent thing they can do. If they can't fix it they can at least leave it unlocked as a YMMV option.

If they don't plan on spending the money to port it properly, I don't plan on spending the money to buy it properly. Another $5 steam sale purchase in a year.

I don't expect a completely rebuilt game. The stuff they're adding for the pc version of GTA V is well above expectations. I expect to be able to bump up framerate and resolution, and mouse/keyboard friendly controls. Anything on top of that is icing, but this 30fps physics lock is just idiotic.

7. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:10 TheEmissary

Sounds like portions of the engine are tied to framerate assumptions. Remember on the new Need for Speed game when you uncap the framerate I think that is what they are afraid would happen. I don't know why this is still an issue as the graphical frame rate doesn't have to be tied to the physics simulation speed.

Its not the greatest news to be hearing about the port but Its not the worst thing ever. At least we are getting the game at all.

6. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 10:40 ViRGE

Asmodai wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:59:
Ffs, they couldn't find a work experience kid somewhere that would come hang out for the day, play the game unlocked and say "well, this is the shit that happened."??

I bet they know exactly what's going to happen. But it's also budgeted as a straight port, so there's no time and funding to try to fix any bugs that occur when the physics engine operates above 30Hz.

In which case this is most decent thing they can do. If they can't fix it they can at least leave it unlocked as a YMMV option.

5. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 10:33 StaTik

They might see some weird stuff with my wallet staying in my pocket.
Porting to PC? Do it right or just don't do it at all.

4. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 09:59 Asmodai

3. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 09:47 nin

If they're migrating some games to steam, while leaving others (say DR2: OTR that I own) with GFMFWL, I'm not sure why I should give them more money.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 09:47 descender

Wow, let's rush out and buy this! Rolleyes2

I know exactly what's going to happen when you publicly admit you didn't playtest your own game at all...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo