Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
1 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 12, 2014, 15:16 jdreyer

I thought this article was really interesting. Typically, content producers are very oligarchical / monopolistic, and are in the drivers seat for dictating how/when/how much to retailers. Each movie, of course, is unique such that substitute products are hard to accept (what is similar enough to LotR or Avengers that you could choose it over these two films, for example?) Additionally, studios often (usually illegally) collaborate on prices, percentages, etc. further weakening the retailer's position. They know if Walmart doesn't accept their terms, they can still sell a ton at Costco, Target, and everywhere else. Amazon, however, has come to dominate content and media sales that they can actually fight the studios, publishers, etc. on equal footing. Amazon is far from a perfect company, but the studios have been in the driver's seat for so long (Hello 90 year copyrights and 40 year old songs and movies that still cost the same as new ones!) that I'm happy someone can finally challenge them.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo