Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears

The Obsidian Forums have word that Pillars of Eternity is nearing the transition from the alpha stage to beta testing, providing "an update about the general state of affairs for each department on the project now that we are getting ready to head into our Beta period." They outline the status of various systems, and conclude with the following: "Overall, the project is coming together nicely. We have a ton of work that still needs to be done, but the team is starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. There are no major roadblocks ahead of us at this point and now it's a focus on getting as much polish done as we can before our final release candidate." Thanks nin.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 15:00 JediPunisher

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:43:
Gee, you only had to drop $140 to have access to the beta. Rolleyes

Well, I dropped $150 for the boxed CE w/playing cards, so I guess that entitles me to beta access. Smug
But others shouldn't fret... You'll have beta access soon enough... Obsidian loves to release betas at retail. Wiseguy

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 12:47 Optional Nickname!

As a privileged beta tester, the UI and other interactive elements will be my focus. The artistry, story, and other design choices I will happily leave to the designers or to other testers.

The UI: icons, text and boxes, portraits and inventory items. How those items scale and interact and present information in different resolutions is critical.

As resolutions and widescreen grow in size, the respective UI elements must scale with them but most games fail completely in that regard and we are left with unreadable text and too small non-descript icons.

So far PoE seems to be exactly what we are hoping for, let's hope the unity engine is robust enough for what I described above.

17. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 11:58 Gustang

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 06:23:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:43:
I have no desire personally to play a beta for any RPG really, and I can't really see why people would pay that much to be in ANY beta, let alone one where you can ruin the experience for yourself so totally(story, mechanics, etc.)

I agree, really I don't see a point in beta testing something I've already bought. I can wait for the final game.

Yeah, I question the wisdom of it in retrospect, but I got caught up in the heat of the moment! Besides, early beta key access was available as a $25 add-on, which effectively doubled my pledge. FWIW, I chose not to pay the $10 to get early access to Wasteland 2 for the same reasons you state (why pay more to play what amounts to a broken game).

Anyway, I wanted to show support for new turn-based stuff of that level. The way some of these kickstarter campaigns shifted to Steam basically ruined any taste I had for it. That and the lengthy Steam backlog of games I haven't been able to spend time with yet.

16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 09:25 Verno

Awesome, one of the few things I kickstarted, hopefully this starts coming together now.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

15. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 09:17 Axis

There was a time not long ago that alpha/beta was based entirely on an application process that asked the right questions, and if you got in and didn't participate in the way you were expected then you were revoked access -- that's the only way to get 'dedicated' testers - and it worked a treat.

Now as for Divinity Original Sin... cannot.. I say.. I say.. I cannot wait! Game is gonna be huge.

Yours truly,

Axis

14. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 08:11 eRe4s3r

VxChemical wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 03:11:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:13:
jimnms wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:33:
PoE's Beta is included at $110 tiers and up. Originally Divinity: Original Sin's Alpha access was going to be limited to the $135+ tiers, and they too sell early access on Steam. So what is your point?

D:OS alpha and beta was available to lower tier digital only backers as well.. not just $110 and up

They were made available to all original KS backers.

I backed Original Sin but haven't recieved any key for steam.

You need to go to LarianVault
https://www.larianvault.com/

And do your thingy there... it should have told you via email to finalize your pledge...

13. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 06:23 Julio

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:43:
I have no desire personally to play a beta for any RPG really, and I can't really see why people would pay that much to be in ANY beta, let alone one where you can ruin the experience for yourself so totally(story, mechanics, etc.)

I agree, really I don't see a point in beta testing something I've already bought. I can wait for the final game.

12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 05:04 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:43:

And of course, like InXile they're going to milk it selling beta slots. I really regret giving either of them a dime. At least Larian appreciates their backers.

There's a good reason to create a high barrier of entry for beta testing. It ensures that only the most dedicated players become involved and that's pretty important. You need to have players who are not only willing to try and break the game but also able to submit detailed bug reports and constructive feedback. A small group of good testers is much more useful than a large group of bad testers. Beta testing is not a demo. It is an essential phase of development that can make the difference between a good game and a bad one.

11. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 03:11 VxChemical

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:02:
PoE's Beta is included at $110 tiers and up. Originally Divinity: Original Sin's Alpha access was going to be limited to the $135+ tiers, and they too sell early access on Steam. So what is your point?

D:OS alpha and beta was available to lower tier digital only backers as well.. not just $110 and up

I backed Original Sin but haven't recieved any key for steam.

10. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 00:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ah, looking forward to the final release of this game, one of the few Kickstarter projects I backed.

9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 00:02 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 00:01 Cutter

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:58:
nin wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:44:

What do you mean? He's not being positive?

I'm not sure Halsy has ever been positive, but he's been even less lately.

Don't you assholes ever tire of trolling? Wouldn't you be happier at some shithole like Kotaku where that sort of childish behavior is encouraged?

Middlefinger

7. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 22:28 HorrorScope

We are getting caught up in a lot of these beta costs lately. Yeah it's a bit rich for sure and I won't be playing in those games. But the main thing is it is coming along, hopefully it will be good and we can buy it at regular costs when the time comes.  

6. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 22:13 eRe4s3r

5. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 21:58 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:44:

I'm not sure Halsy has ever been positive, but he's been even less lately.

4. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 21:44 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 21:41 Creston

Woohoo!  

2. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 21:33 jimnms

Steam Profile

1. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 11, 2014, 20:43 Cutter

And of course, like InXile they're going to milk it selling beta slots. I really regret giving either of them a dime. At least Larian appreciates their backers.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo