Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus VR Era Projections

Ars Technica interviews Oculus Rift CEO Brendan Iribe, talking about the next steps in bringing their Ovulus VR headsets to market. He talks of how the influx of Facebook money will help speed take up by allowing them to sell early units closer to cost, and will also make for better hardware in the version two headsets. He says they hope to release the first consumer version by the end of next year, and they see things really taking off a year or two after that with the release of the second consumer version:

It's only after that first consumer version has been out for a year or two that Oculus will be ready to release its second consumer version, Iribe says. That's when he sees VR and the Rift really starting to reach their full potential, market-wise. "That's when we'll get these incredible, holy grail [games], the killer app for VR," he said. "And that's when we think the scale will really goal, and hopefully you'll get many millions of people into VR, playing great games and other stuff."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:18:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:15:
Most people don't play PC games.

Yeah, those 65 million people on Steam don't mean a thing.

You took it out of context totally.

Most people don't play PC games - but enough do to make it viable. Most people won't strap a TV to their face* - which seemingly means it can't be viable.

* AFAIK there's no real disagreement here and the "Anyone who says different" is largely a figment of Cutter's imagination.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 20:01 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:18:

And you were expecting what exactly?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 19:53 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:38:
This has got to be the biggest scam in the history of gaming. Its right up there with 3D TV. This shti is just going to make people throw up....

Wait wait I thought Star Citizen was the biggest scam in the history of gaming.

Goddamn it I'm confused now. My hatred has a premium and I can only hate so many things with a blazing intensity.

26. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 18:18 HorrorScope

25. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 16:53 Quboid

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:25:
I'm still baffled at all the interest there is for this while 3D Vision, which is arguably a superior and much more versatile system, remains largely an underground thing.

The Rift is more than 3D - as an output device it gives you much wider, more natural fields of view but even more significant is how it acts as an input device: head tracking adds a lot to games, particularly cockpit based ones.

- Quboid

24. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 15:59 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:38:

It's not the 3d that this is about, although even on the DK1 (The only one I've tried) it is so natural you stop thinking about it.

It's that you are IN THE GAME. Except you are wearing ski goggles.

My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't wrap around your entire peripheral vision, but it's still way more than a triple monitor setup. But apart from that, you are totally in the game. Only thing missing when I played Lunar Flight was the leaning forward to look down/over the lower windows of the capsule, and thats in now. This will fucking rip in Elite/Star Citizen/No mans sky. (Any game in which your body is sitting really).

Is it the future of gaming? Maybe, maybe not... but it's the future for enthusiasts that put immersion near the top of their list, which is what anyone who wants frames/pixel density/surround sound is into.

Will probably end in more games that are fun without constant murder as well just due to how freaky it kind of feels and how awesome just looking at shit is.

Yeah, as I posted on another thread earlier today (one that no one is looking at ):

Yeah, I really feel that VR is probably the biggest revolution in PC gaming since the invention of accelerated graphics. In the same way that accelerated graphics brought FPS games to the forefront while relegating the adventure and turn-based strategy genres (among others) to the back burner, it will cause a renaissance in sim, sim-lite, driving, and horror games. And I think it will even spawn new genres, like maybe an "exploration" genre similar to the old adventure titles, but much more immersive. And I'm sure some creative & smart people will figure out uses for it we haven't even considered. I'm pretty stoked about it.

23. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 15:55 jdreyer

I'm still baffled at all the interest there is for this while 3D Vision, which is arguably a superior and much more versatile system, remains largely an underground thing. Personally I'm done with 2D, it has about as much relevance in gaming for me as black & white. Even the hand drawn games like Rayman are meant to be played in 3D now.

Links?

22. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 14:18 Dmitri_M

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:47:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 07:56:
They have to (and obviously will) increase resolution. The current devkit is unusable in the sort of titles current TrackIR users play. In racing games you can hardly make out the track 50 meters from the car. It's like playing Doom at 320x240. Flight sims? ArmA? No way.. It's fine for simplistic one off tech demos but nothing else.

For me the decision to wait for the first consumer release is easy. Even the "1080p" of DK2 won't be enough (since the image is split it isn't true 1080p, closer too 800 to 900 or so pixels per eye).

Yeah, which is why I'm so conflicted. Do I get the lower qual DK2 this year, or the superior CV1 in 18-24 months from now? DK2 should be good enough? Seems like a loooong time to wait.

DK1's higher resolution will probably be enough for most sim games. I'm just happy to wait

The Rift is awesome and I will definitely be getting one at some point.

21. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 13:38 Numinar

I'm still baffled at all the interest there is for this while 3D Vision, which is arguably a superior and much more versatile system, remains largely an underground thing. Personally I'm done with 2D, it has about as much relevance in gaming for me as black & white. Even the hand drawn games like Rayman are meant to be played in 3D now.

It's not the 3d that this is about, although even on the DK1 (The only one I've tried) it is so natural you stop thinking about it.

It's that you are IN THE GAME. Except you are wearing ski goggles.

My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't wrap around your entire peripheral vision, but it's still way more than a triple monitor setup. But apart from that, you are totally in the game. Only thing missing when I played Lunar Flight was the leaning forward to look down/over the lower windows of the capsule, and thats in now. This will fucking rip in Elite/Star Citizen/No mans sky. (Any game in which your body is sitting really).

Is it the future of gaming? Maybe, maybe not... but it's the future for enthusiasts that put immersion near the top of their list, which is what anyone who wants frames/pixel density/surround sound is into.

Will probably end in more games that are fun without constant murder as well just due to how freaky it kind of feels and how awesome just looking at shit is.

20. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 13:25 Mr. Anisotonic

19. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 12:47 jdreyer

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 07:56:
They have to (and obviously will) increase resolution. The current devkit is unusable in the sort of titles current TrackIR users play. In racing games you can hardly make out the track 50 meters from the car. It's like playing Doom at 320x240. Flight sims? ArmA? No way.. It's fine for simplistic one off tech demos but nothing else.

For me the decision to wait for the first consumer release is easy. Even the "1080p" of DK2 won't be enough (since the image is split it isn't true 1080p, closer too 800 to 900 or so pixels per eye).

Yeah, which is why I'm so conflicted. Do I get the lower qual DK2 this year, or the superior CV1 in 18-24 months from now? DK2 should be good enough? Seems like a loooong time to wait.

18. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 07:56 Dmitri_M

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2014, 08:12.

17. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 04:08 InBlack

You got it all wrong Cutter. All Oculus CV1 needs to do at this point is canibalize the Track IR consumers, and they got that shit covered hands down.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 03:10 djinn

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:43:
They know that there are problems, but they're working on fixing them. PC Gamer's Cory Banks threw up using DK1, but was able to use DK2 for a few hours without issue.

I had no problems with my brief interaction with DK1, except for strafing. For whatever reason that made me feel super queasy. I guess the human system of balance and movement is so finely tuned I'm wondering if that's a problem that can be solved at all, especially with the disconnect of visual input vs lack of physical forces.

Not nay saying - just cautiously optimistic.

15. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 00:04 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 11, 2014, 23:32 Frijoles

entr0py wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:06:
Yeah now that you mention it, "near cost" makes sense for a console where they make most of their money on games and licensing, but what revenue would Oculus get aside from hardware sales?

They want to create a digital distribution system in VR, similar to Steam. So similar they hired one of the main people behind Steam. If they get a cut of those sales, that would certainly help. On the other hand, Steam already has VR mode. I think Oculus wanted to vet the games a bit better though and only allow VR games in it. I've used VirtualReality.io for downloading some games It was pretty sweet. Haven't tried Steam yet in VR mode though, oddly enough.

13. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 11, 2014, 22:25 HorrorScope

entr0py wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:06:
Yeah now that you mention it, "near cost" makes sense for a console where they make most of their money on games and licensing, but what revenue would Oculus get aside from hardware sales?

Oculus is now Facebook, it what would Facebook get. This thing isn't just going to be for games, like a pc. You'll be able to buy one and use it just for games. But Facebook is looking at the social aspect of this, getting their product out there they feel they can secure their position longer term.

12. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 11, 2014, 22:15 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:39:
Most people are not going to strap a TV to their face. Period.

Most people don't play PC games. I don't care about most people, that is now Facebook's problem. I'm open that this think may not work and open to that it will work. I'm not going to be Henry "Old Poop" Fonda for no good reason. I'm somewhat confident this works because there is now a lot of people, putting money down developing VR (not just Oculus) and they wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't impressive. There are thousands that have bought the dev kit, in general even with its weak specs it has bowled them over. I'm going with their word at this time over a Poo Poo'ers.

It does hit mass levels if it can be used in things that you can now do, but for a lot less being there virtually.

Taking quite a while to get to market though, but I agree with it has to be right for it to stick.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 22:24.

11. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 11, 2014, 22:06 entr0py

It's a troubling thought because they must have some plan for profitability. And making it into a closed platform would really kill the community that's springing up.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 22:11.

10. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 11, 2014, 21:45 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:35:
I was appalled at first with the FB acquisition of OR, but I've come around after doing some research and reading. It sounds like Mark is a fan of VR, and similarly to how one of us might plop down a couple hundred for a few ships to support Star Citizen, Mark plopped down a couple billion to accelerate and support OR. Obviously FB is more involved than that, but I don't see this as a purely business based decision to try and make OR the platform of choice for FB. It feels like there was something fanboyesque about this purchase.

Had that been the case, he'd have (or should have) used his own funds. He didn't. he bought them with FB cash, which means OR is now beholden to Facebook's shareholders. And if FB shareholders feel that OR isn't going to fast enough, or isn't making enough money, they're going to bitch and/or meddle.

The idea of selling near cost is cute, but shareholders don't accept the idea of selling near cost.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo