Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up

After some pretty significant blowback from Ubisoft's initial assertion that cutting a female protagonist option from Assassin's Creed Unity was "a reality of game development" based on limited resources, Kotaku has a new statement from Ubisoft that no longer implies this would take up too much of their development resources, but rather highlights the diversity of their developers, their other games, and some of the supporting cast in Unity:

We recognize the valid concern around diversity in video game narrative. Assassin's Creed is developed by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs and we hope this attention to diversity is reflected in the settings of our games and our characters.

Assassin's Creed Unity is focused on the story of the lead character, Arno. Whether playing by yourself or with the co-op Shared Experiences, you the gamer will always be playing as Arno, complete with his broad range of gear and skill sets that will make you feel unique.

With regard to diversity in our playable Assassins, we've featured Aveline, Connor, Adewale and Altair in Assassin's Creed games and we continue to look at showcasing diverse characters. We look forward to introducing you to some of the strong female characters in Assassin's Creed Unity.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 20:16 eRe4s3r

Razumen wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 17:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:51:
Numinar wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 08:45:
For Newt I always assumed the smartass aliens were using her as bait to get a spaceship to come pick them up. Worked!

Heh that's true.... but are Aliens that intelligent? I doubt it, otherwise they'd not have infected Ripley in Aliens 3 with a queen, knowing fully well that's the host who was the most likely to prevent hatching any way possible

Who knows, I doubt facehuggers have much more of an inclination towards anything besides finding a host, and whatever type of alien is born is more likely determined biologically by the need of the alien group at the moment. They needed a new queen so perhaps they're biologically hardwired to create one regardless of the situation.

It still also begs the question how ripley even got infected and the 2 others killed... was another fully grown alien aboard the Sulaco? Because a face hugger alone couldn't possibly have caused an internal fire on a space-ship.... and then how did an alien even know what to do there without a queen? In Alien 1 it seemed like without a queen and clear targets Aliens are quite docile unless attacked or disturbed.

And would they even have noticed humans in stasis pods? How? Aren't these things supposed to keep you in stasis, so how would aliens even know that the thing they are seeing is a human? ;/
So much stuff that was confusing in the later movies...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 20:05 Wallshadows

They likely couldn't get to Newt because of her ability to live among the garbage and crawl spaces within the compound. Ain't no Xenomorphs got time fo dat!  

17. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 17:31 Razumen

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:51:
For Newt I always assumed the smartass aliens were using her as bait to get a spaceship to come pick them up. Worked!

Heh that's true.... but are Aliens that intelligent? I doubt it, otherwise they'd not have infected Ripley in Aliens 3 with a queen, knowing fully well that's the host who was the most likely to prevent hatching any way possible

Who knows, I doubt facehuggers have much more of an inclination towards anything besides finding a host, and whatever type of alien is born is more likely determined biologically by the need of the alien group at the moment. They needed a new queen so perhaps they're biologically hardwired to create one regardless of the situation.

16. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 12:51 eRe4s3r

15. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 12:45 gilly775

I could care less honestly..just don't understand why anyone gives a flying flip that a female isn't in a game....esp. since there was a playable female character earlier.  

14. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 11:37 Verno

gilly775 wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:00:
So why aren't people bitching at the countless thousands of other games that don't have a playable female character?

They usually do but lets say they start, will that make you feel better?

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 11:00 gilly775

So why aren't people bitching at the countless thousands of other games that don't have a playable female character?  

12. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 10:33 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:53:
However, I thought it was pretty lame that you couldn't even play a female character in the co-op stuff. But now I see that everyone just plays their own SP character in the co-op, so in essence it's four Arno's that are joining up. So I guess from that perspective it still makes sense. A bit.

Yeah. After reading more about this "controversy", although I would of enjoyed a female lead, I completely understand why what isn't really viable since given the historical nature of the games as female lead would have vastly different story than a male lead. Makes their comment about animations being too much work more viable as they are just using clones of Arno for the co-op to begin with.

Same could be said why they didn't include a dwarf assassin, dog assassin, handicapabale assassin or Shiva assassin. Too much more animation work, but I'm sure they wanted to.

11. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 08:45 Numinar

10. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 08:30 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 23:03:
Ellen Ripley man, now there is an badass Alien destroyer.

But hey we can have both male and female centric characters in this day and age. Its off the slate for AC - I imagine next time there will be a female lead in an AC game besides that one New Orleans one with the African American woman.

Some, but not all of my games I've started just female characters, but I don't liken it to "I'm imagining I am them" and make them Bootylicious - I imagine it as I am reading a visual novel about a female character and I am guiding their story.

In ME, DA:O, I only had female characters. In pretty much every Elder Scrolls game my character is an old evil elf hag, and boy is she not pretty on the eyes. Other games like Diablo or KoTR 1/2 I played first as the male character, then a second time as female character.

Alien game where we play as Newt would also be pretty kick-ass... still don't get how she survived that long.. and still angry at director for killing her THAT cheaply in Aliens 3

9. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 04:31 Icewind

Seems pretty cut-and-dried to me. The protagonist is male, and as such, when you take your protagonist into a multiplayer game, that character is still Arno. Four Arno clones working in tandem. I don't see the problem here.  

8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 00:54 Slick

NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:48:
It's funny, if they said "We couldn't really devote the resources." to any other cut feature, people would say "Okay" and move on. But here everyones throwing a big ol' fit without thinking it through even a little bit.

I bet most of these fucks haven't even played AC: Liberation either.

As I said in the previous thread, beyond the art assets needed, to set the story in historical times means to do credit to a female protagonist you need to recognize what it was to be a female in historical times. You can't just copy and paste a female into a male's storyline without sacrificing that. AC adds fantastical elements to the past, but it doesn't subtract all the dirt to make it an idealized utopia either.

Liberation is about a mixed race female Assassin. Freedom Cry is about a black former slave Assassin. And both of those stories examined the Assassin order from that perspective.

Yes, they could have done another female Assassin game, and maybe they will again. But when they do I'm guessing it'll be another game about a female Assassin. One they can add to their lore instead of just being a non-canon variant on a male character.

pretty much.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 23:51 harlock

im a proud european american  

6. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 23:03 Task

Ellen Ripley man, now there is an badass Alien destroyer.

But hey we can have both male and female centric characters in this day and age. Its off the slate for AC - I imagine next time there will be a female lead in an AC game besides that one New Orleans one with the African American woman.

Some, but not all of my games I've started just female characters, but I don't liken it to "I'm imagining I am them" and make them Bootylicious - I imagine it as I am reading a visual novel about a female character and I am guiding their story.

In ME, DA:O, I only had female characters. In pretty much every Elder Scrolls game my character is an old evil elf hag, and boy is she not pretty on the eyes. Other games like Diablo or KoTR 1/2 I played first as the male character, then a second time as female character.

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8

5. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 21:58 Wallshadows

Just take the heat now rather than later when your cookie cutter Angelina Jolie-inspired, shit-tier character gets seriously panned.

Angelina Jolie and the Tomb Raider movies have pretty much erased all the hard work Sigourney Weaver, Sarah Michelle Geller and Linda Hamilton put in to making strong female characters on all mediums of entertainment. Joss Whedon tried to fix this with Gina Torres and Summer Glau but Fox pulled the god damn plug and had another chance with the Wonder Woman movie until that too got cancelled so now we're left with all the left overs with hard bodies and flat writing.

I don't even know if I am ranting about the right thing. I just got caught on a tangent and I rode it in to town.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 22:05.

4. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 21:53 Creston

I don't really care that they don't have a female protagonist in the SP campaign, though it would have been cool. And I can understand not doing the "both ways" like Bioware does.

However, I thought it was pretty lame that you couldn't even play a female character in the co-op stuff. But now I see that everyone just plays their own SP character in the co-op, so in essence it's four Arno's that are joining up. So I guess from that perspective it still makes sense. A bit.

3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 21:48 NKD

It's funny, if they said "We couldn't really devote the resources." to any other cut feature, people would say "Okay" and move on. But here everyones throwing a big ol' fit without thinking it through even a little bit.

I bet most of these fucks haven't even played AC: Liberation either.

As I said in the previous thread, beyond the art assets needed, to set the story in historical times means to do credit to a female protagonist you need to recognize what it was to be a female in historical times. You can't just copy and paste a female into a male's storyline without sacrificing that. AC adds fantastical elements to the past, but it doesn't subtract all the dirt to make it an idealized utopia either.

Liberation is about a mixed race female Assassin. Freedom Cry is about a black former slave Assassin. And both of those stories examined the Assassin order from that perspective.

Yes, they could have done another female Assassin game, and maybe they will again. But when they do I'm guessing it'll be another game about a female Assassin. One they can add to their lore instead of just being a non-canon variant on a male character.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 21:13 Victor Grunn

The translation here seems to be 'we're going to cut exactly what we said we'd cut - but now we're going to word it far more diplomatically!'

Which will probably work as far as backlash is concerned.

Gaming Trend Staff Writer: http://www.gamingtrend.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorGrunn
Amateur game dev: http://victorgrunn.newgrounds.com
Gtalk contact: Victorgrunn

1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 20:37 Cutter

*sniff* Makes you want to hold hands and sing 'We Are The World', doesn't it? *sniff*

Crying

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo