Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III to "Heal" Broken Achievements

Blizzard announces the deployment of some back-end updates for Diablo III intended to remedy how some players have not been awarded achievements for which they've already qualified. Here's part of the explanation:

Without going too deep into the technical details, basically what we did was implement a system that looks at your account upon login to try and identify any achievements for which you have fulfilled all the criteria, but have not been awarded the actual achievement. If the system identifies a broken achievement, the server will attempt to immediately “heal” your broken achievement and grant it to you. I say “try” because each server will only attempt to run a certain number of instances of this healing operation at one time. What this means is it may take several logins to heal any achievements that are broken on your account in this way. This is expected behavior, and just because you haven’t seen any changes to your achievements just yet, doesn’t mean that the fix did not work for you at all.

I know that many of you have been waiting for this for a long time, but it is somewhat likely that this fix may not resolve every single achievement issue that every player has. This particular fix is specifically targeted at achievements with tracked criteria (basically this means requirements that were tracked with checkboxes). Also as I said above, this fix may not take effect for everyone immediately. What this means is that we are going to need to let the dust settle over the next few days to see what other types of issues remain.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 18:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Poor Diablo 3. The engine is so good, I would have loved to see a MedianXL type mod for this game, offline.

I still play a bit, but from what they are telling us about Seasons, that'll most likely be the final straw for me. No way do I have the patience to relevel 6 characters from scratch each season just to get legendaries, or wait 3-6 months to get those legendaries in non-Season.

More on topic, not really an achievement guy myself, but this kind of 'fix' really makes me curious as to the metric shit-ton of data the servers must compile on each played character/account. Some of these achievements have been broken since release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 18:29 Primalchrome

For me, Achievements serve three purposes... Sometimes they're just recognition of a milestone, which I note and move along. Others recognize skill like lining up a 3 boat shot with a railgun in Leviathan or a pentakill in League of Legends. Finally....sometimes it's interesting to look through achievements and realize there is a different way to accomplish something or play a game. There have been a fair number of games I've gone back to just to revisit a scenario and solve it with a different tactic or piece of equipment.  

15. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 18:25 Creston

PHJF wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:15:
The biggest joke of all?

I can't play today. Disconnecting 5-15 minutes after starting any game. But, hey, at least somebody gets their achievements, right? Maybe there should be one for reaching 10,000 disconnects.

It's the benefits of always-online, dude!

14. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 17:15 PHJF

The biggest joke of all?

I can't play today. Disconnecting 5-15 minutes after starting any game. But, hey, at least somebody gets their achievements, right? Maybe there should be one for reaching 10,000 disconnects.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 16:59 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 09:26:
They went way overboard, there are so many achievements in Diablo 3 that its kinda stupid and overwhelming. I just ignore them.

Agreed 100%. I keep getting them and don't bother looking at why. Plus, I hate achievements you get for simply doing story modes, other than maybe one for completing the whole thing.

I also don't care about achievements on platforms I'll rarely use. Battle.net achievements? When I'm done with D3 I'll uninstall it, so why do I care?

Lastly, I think XBL did this right, which is impressive considering they were basically first. Achievements tie to a number of points. Your points follow you around. Something particularly hard may be 50 points, something easy may be 10. This quantifies achievements, and makes them universal across games. Suddenly getting an achievement feels a bit more meaningful, because you have a score which is an extremely pointless and nerdy bragging right. Again, meaningless but quantifiable. And you can compare games with your friends, seeing who did more of what.
It makes me care much more about achievements, though still not much. But at least a bit. And makes achieving them feel a bit gratifying.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 16:51 Luke

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 12:25:
InBlack wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 09:21:
Achievements? Why do developers think that people give a shit about those anyway?

You are confused about the value of gaming achievements?

Go play Peggle, then get back to us.

And what is the value of gaming achievements?

fuck storyline just give us achievements?

mkay Book not

11. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 12:25 Optional Nickname!

Achievements? Why do developers think that people give a shit about those anyway?

You are confused about the value of gaming achievements?

Go play Peggle, then get back to us.

10. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:58 Creston

OMG I DIDNT GET MY CHEEVOS!!!!

9. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:37 Mikus_Aurelius

descender wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:27:
The other problem here is that the achievements in D3 are just grindy and completely uninspired. Only about 1 per class requires any actual thought or effort to accomplish.

I think this is the issue. Achievements can be fun if they challenge you. Oddly enough, world of warcraft had this about right (back when I last played). Some achievements are gimmes, some are grinds, and some take serious skill. You go for the ones that interest you, and it IS impressive to see people sporting the rewards from the really hard ones.

8. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:30 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:18:
Most people are nuts about them - and not just in video games. What else are the Olympics besides trying to beat personal and world achievements?

Damn, if only the olympics could be about collecting bear asses or killing Ghom 1000 times, we would have a chance

The other problem here is that the achievements in D3 are just grindy and completely uninspired. Only about 1 per class requires any actual thought or effort to accomplish.

Yep exactly. I mean its an ARPG so you expect some of that but even with that in mind they are very uninspired so you don't feel like you're earning it.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:27 descender

What else is there to do? Endlessly grind for better loot? /snore At least achievements give you something else to do while you are mindlessly making things dead that are too easy for you to be fighting.

The problem with achievements is that banner symbols and patterns are a total shit reward. If they contained more entertaining or useful unlocks, they would be something people would actually want to "achieve".

6. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:21 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:18:
Most people are nuts about them - and not just in video games. What else are the Olympics besides trying to beat personal and world achievements?

Bad analogy. EVERYONE can unlock the achievments in Diablo3. It doesnt really take skill or training, like breaking the world 100m record, to name your example.

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:18 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 09:59 Armengar

I ignore them too but some people are rabid about them.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

3. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 09:26 Verno

They went way overboard, there are so many achievements in Diablo 3 that its kinda stupid and overwhelming. I just ignore them.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

2. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 09:26 nin

Obviously enough people complained, if they are taking the time/resources to fix it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 09:21 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo