Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity

Speaking at E3 with Ubisoft technical director James Therien, Videogamer learned that a planned female version of the Assassin's Creed Unity protagonist was recently cut from the design of the stealth/action series because of how it would impact the development time:

"It was on our feature list until not too long ago, but it's a question of focus and production," Therien explained. "So we wanted to make sure we had the best experience for the character. A female character means that you have to redo a lot of animation, a lot of costumes [inaudible]. It would have doubled the work on those things. And I mean it's something the team really wanted, but we had to make a decision... It's unfortunate, but it's a reality of game development."

When pressed on the issue, specifically that we didn't think his excuse would wash with the community given the amount of resources at the studio's disposal, Therien continued:

"Again, it's not a question of philosophy or choice in this case at all I don't really [inaudible] it was a question of focus and a question of production. Yes, we have tonnes of resources, but we're putting them into this game, and we have huge teams, nine studios working on this game and we need all of these people to make what we are doing here."

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 12, 2014, 13:19 Prez

No one would know Lara today if the game she was in wasn't fantastic. The ironic thing is that when Tomb Raider first arrived on the scene and started getting all sorts of attention, it was often described by reviewers as the Indiana Jones game we had all been waiting for, and Indy is very much a male protagonist. There wasn't much sexy about the jaggy, pointy, 800x600 resolution Lara that was in the first Tomb Raider.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 12, 2014, 09:48 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:14:
Yes, but Lara got famous initially because she had ginormous meat pillows. And if characters like Bayonetta aren't about sex why aren't they 40 year old fat, ugly bull dykes?

How many of the males out there played femshep just to see how many lezbo relationships they could get into? Probably most of them.

Sure Cutter ape, sounds good. Ooga Booga. Go stand over there and eat some bananas while the adults talk.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

67. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 12, 2014, 02:07 Victor Grunn

And lots of people drink Budweiser. That doesn't mean that it's superior to Chimay or Trappiste just because more people drink it.

If someone hates the taste of Chimay and prefers the taste of Budweiser, then yes, as far as that person goes, Budweiser really is superior.

Gaming Trend Staff Writer: http://www.gamingtrend.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorGrunn
Amateur game dev: http://victorgrunn.newgrounds.com
Gtalk contact: Victorgrunn

66. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 22:10 SlimRam

I usually play games while wearing my wife's undergarments BUT I ALWAYS play as a male character in the game sooooo, it evens out right?  

I saw a hearse driving in the carpool lane the other day and I thought to myself, "That's cheating"

65. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 21:37 NKD

PropheT wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:40:

The Assassin's Creed games are about as historical as Ancient Aliens. Sure, they talk about stuff that happens historically, but there's a fairly healthy dose of fantasy inserted there.

Yeah, they have fantastical elements obviously, but they aren't portraying the paste as some kind of egalitarian utopia where women and blacks and such are treated equal to the white males, so it would be bullshit to just copy and paste in a female character into a story built for a male character.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

64. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 20:33 [VG]Reagle

Cutter is SO INAPROPRIATE. I think we SHOULD REMOVE HIS COMMENT. OH yes HE is NOT politically CORRECT. OH YES Monitor....IT TIME TO GIVE HIM ONE OF THOSE FUCKING REMOVED RED COMMENT IN HIS CHAT HISTORY.

OH yes Blues News forum GODS ..... GET CUTTER ----> IN APPR.OP.RI.ATE

FINALLY I WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ONE TARGETED ...

GET HIS ASS ...... CUTTER DID IT

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

63. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 20:26 [VG]Reagle

We need grade a double D monsters swinging in the wind to survive. PLEASE WE BEG OF YOU. Dont do a laura craft and do a reduction. WE BEG OF YOU GAMEr GODS!! As Rodman said please DO US A SOLID!!!!  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

62. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 20:15 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:14:
Yes, but Lara got famous initially because she had ginormous meat pillows. And if characters like Bayonetta aren't about sex why aren't they 40 year old fat, ugly bull dykes?

How many of the males out there played femshep just to see how many lezbo relationships they could get into? Probably most of them.

"Ginormous meat pillows."
"fat, ugly bull dykes."
"Lezbo relationships."

A true gentleman. Not at all like listening to a 14 year old on Xbox Live circa 2007.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 20:22.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 20:14 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

60. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 19:43 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:43:
I'll give you that one. But I haven't seen any other female lead that I've wanted to play. Let's face it, the only reason boys like gals like Lara - bewbs, Bayonetta - shades of dominatrix librarian fantasies, etc.

I really thought the Tomb Raider reboot toned Lara down to being a reasonably believable character, with intentionally zero sensuality. Yes, she's still attractive, but there's no ass-shaking walk, no revealing outfits, and they weren't afraid to get her dirty.

As for Bayonetta, both the original and the E3 trailer for B2 looks completely gonzo. I never bought the first game, I heard the story and voicework is horrible but the game itself is one ridiculously awesome boss fight after another. Apparently both games come out on the same disc for the WiiU, I may just have to pick that up. I also keep forgetting about DMC, which is similar in gameplay. Isn't it about time for another Steam Sale? Maybe I'll pick it up to add to my monstrous backlog.

59. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 19:41 bigspender

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:49:
lets face it, most women are that evil, they just hold it in check for 'special occasions'

Yes and all black people can play a bass guitar and choose not to ... :S

And in the next forum people will complain that their wife/gf/interest do not play games...

58. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 19:38 Kosumo

I only played the Portal games so I could use the Portal gun to check out my player charactors Tits and Ass. When I played as Chell, I was so into testing touching myself. mmmm orange jump suit. Joker

I bet Half-Elf plays the meanist bitch around Jester

Also, if people keep feeding the trolls, Cutter wont be able to get back under his bridge, he'll be so fat. The fact he is now using some of the food people are feeding him as troll bait, shows he is over feed!

Classic work Cutter. Nod

57. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:51 Creston

Btw, it sounds as if they're making some cool gameplay decisions with this AC.

56. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:49 The Half Elf

SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:36:
Haven't played an AC since the second and I didn't see this game changing that but I will say it still disappoints me. Played Mass Effect 1 through twice. First time male. Second time female. Vastly enjoyed the voice acting and dialogue and atmosphere the female character presented far more than my male play through. Maybe it was because I played her as Renegade and the male as Paragon that added to that, but sometimes just having a female lead in a stereotypical male role is refreshing.

Needless to say, I only played through ME2 once with my female character. Still haven't gotten around to ME3. Maybe once my daughter is old enough to play them.

That's exactly what I did with the Mass Effect Series. My 'normal save the day' guy, and then I replay it as a cold hearted BITCH because lets face it, most women are that evil, they just hold it in check for 'special occasions'

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

55. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:40 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:43:
I'll give you that one. But I haven't seen any other female lead that I've wanted to play. Let's face it, the only reason boys like gals like Lara - bewbs, Bayonetta - shades of dominatrix librarian fantasies, etc.

So you only play male characters because you want to see a dude cut like Channing Tatum shake his money maker on your screen?

Either way you cut that idea it comes out being pretty laughable.

NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:52:
The problem is that when you're going historical, any time before like the 1960s the character being female is going to have to be a significant element in their experience or you're being historically dishonest. I can see how writers would get tired of having to weave that into the narrative, and they've already done it once in AC: Liberation.

The Assassin's Creed games are about as historical as Ancient Aliens. Sure, they talk about stuff that happens historically, but there's a fairly healthy dose of fantasy inserted there.

54. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:21 jdreyer

Victor Grunn wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 15:13:

If we're talking about male versus female Shep, last I saw stats on this most people far and away preferred male Shep. You can say 'but it's a superior performance', but all that would establish here is that some evidence shows even a superior performance won't entice male gamers to play female characters in some situations.

And that's quite fine.

And lots of people drink Budweiser. That doesn't mean that it's superior to Chimay or Trappiste just because more people drink it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

53. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 18:13 saluk

"We have decided not to implement a female assassin in our game out of historical relevance and to fit the story we are telling."

Fine by me.

"We have decided that recreating revolutionary paris with a 1:1 scale of notre dame is definitely feasable for our next title. We thought about adding female assassin's, but... it sounds hard to do."

WHAT. THE. FLYING. I'm not a person who swears. BUT FUCK.

52. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 17:52 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:07:
I actually think it would have rejuvenated the series.

The problem is that when you're going historical, any time before like the 1960s the character being female is going to have to be a significant element in their experience or you're being historically dishonest. I can see how writers would get tired of having to weave that into the narrative, and they've already done it once in AC: Liberation.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

51. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 17:35 Ray Marden

Women - the majority of the population, but woefully under-represented in gaming.

It was somewhat telling while watching the E3 presentations; my wife would routinely comment on all the male-focused games that were being presented. Who'da thunk it? I mean, coming from an industry that is often afraid to even put a female NPC on the cover of a game...
Comments in this thread are proof enough of the industry's issues.
Wanting a diverse selection of good games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

50. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 17:32 rist3903

This just gives them a golden opportunity to make some more DLC. Pay 10 bucks more and have a female character!

Here is my favorite tweet so far on this issue (I didn't make it):

"The walk for our male characters emphasizes their muscular physique, whereas women move in a shuffling sideways motion and live in the sea"

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo