Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 12:50 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:27:
Soda/pop isn't good for you - it is common sense. Put a tooth in pop over night. That should be enough to tell you it is a bad idea to consume it. Science will tell you it is REALLY bad for you.

You assume A LOT when you assume most Americans believe in science.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 20:27 xXBatmanXx

Soda/pop isn't good for you - it is common sense. Put a tooth in pop over night. That should be enough to tell you it is a bad idea to consume it. Science will tell you it is REALLY bad for you.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 19:10 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:38:
Beamer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 13:49:
I bought a small, 6oz thing of some fancy Greek yogurt from Whole Foods the other day. Typically I only eat plain Faye (screw that Chobani crap) with some local honey mixed in (local, I prefer raw honey.) After eating it I looked at the nutrition facts. It had 30g of sugar. In a 6oz container. That's more sugar than a Snicker's.

Screw you, fancy Whole Foods yogurt.

What was the ingredients list? I tend to buy plain yogurt and add a bit of jam or honey. That way I have control over the sweetness. Yogurt has some naturally occurring sugar from the lactose in it.

re: CV1 from last night - there's a video of OR's founder talking about CV1 and he said all those things. i don't remember if it was you or someone else, but someone was saying it wasn't clear what he was talking about. to me there was no ambiguity at all though - he did say higher res than DK1 as well as a bunch of other stuff. the logical step up from 1080 would be 1440. i suppose they could do 1200, but i don't htink any phones even use that resolution.

Yeah, I still haven't seen specs. I did see this story on Ars today. Here's a key quote though:
It's only after that first consumer version has been out for a year or two that Oculus will be ready to release its second consumer version, Iribe says. That's when he sees VR and the Rift really starting to reach their full potential, market-wise. "That's when we'll get these incredible, holy grail [games], the killer app for VR," he said. "And that's when we think the scale will really goal, and hopefully you'll get many millions of people into VR, playing great games and other stuff."
So, now they're saying "Yeah, CV2 is going to be great!"

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 18:26 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:38:
I bought a small, 6oz thing of some fancy Greek yogurt from Whole Foods the other day. Typically I only eat plain Faye (screw that Chobani crap) with some local honey mixed in (local, I prefer raw honey.) After eating it I looked at the nutrition facts. It had 30g of sugar. In a 6oz container. That's more sugar than a Snicker's.

What was the ingredients list? I tend to buy plain yogurt and add a bit of jam or honey. That way I have control over the sweetness. Yogurt has some naturally occurring sugar from the lactose in it.

re: CV1 from last night - there's a video of OR's founder talking about CV1 and he said all those things. i don't remember if it was you or someone else, but someone was saying it wasn't clear what he was talking about. to me there was no ambiguity at all though - he did say higher res than DK1 as well as a bunch of other stuff. the logical step up from 1080 would be 1440. i suppose they could do 1200, but i don't htink any phones even use that resolution.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 17:47 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 15:09:
It isn't so much that fructose from fruit is better than HFCS, it's that a 20oz soda has ~65g of sugar, 55% is fructose, and a banana has 7g of fructose. That means a 20oz soda has as much fructose as 5 bananas. Or 3 apples. Or 9 cups of strawberries. Or 89 cherries.

I still say it comes down to moderation. Yeah, the problem with HFCS is that fructose isn't good for us, but it's really the amount. Americans drink, on average, nearly 45 gallons of soda per year. That's 5760oz of soda. That's the fructose equivalent of almost 1500 bananas.

Right.
1. No one sits down and wolfs five bananas in a sitting, but it's pretty easy to down a 20oz Coke in 15 minutes.
2. Fruit has sugar, but it also has vitamins and fiber to help offset its high sugar content, making it more digestible and not as hard on your body.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 17:45 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:53:

Personally I find it odd that when we as society moved to heavily refined foods, less real - good - fats, that obesity started and grew into the epidemic it is today. If it's not causal it's a pretty major effing coinky-dink.

The obesity epidemic has a plethora of factors, refined high-density foods being one. Others include: a shift from labor intensive jobs to desk jobs, a shift away from active entertainment (dances, evening constitutionals, playing outside) to static like games, TV, etc. But yeah, food is a good place to start.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 17:38 jdreyer

25. Re: E3 Jun 11, 2014, 17:29 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:16:
Finally, I go to one?

So, how was it? What did you see?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 16:04 descender

A fructose molecule is a fructose molecule. It's not like it knows where it came from.

Except it does know, and your body absorbs natural fructose (fruits and vegetables) and HFCS at completely different rates. When regular fructose is absorbed into the liver, it creates glycogen (stored glucose). When HFCS is absorbed into the liver (usually in much greater amounts), it creates fat and causes all sorts of medical problems.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 15:47 NKD

Still no sign of more Deus Ex. Disappointing.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 15:09 Beamer

It isn't so much that fructose from fruit is better than HFCS, it's that a 20oz soda has ~65g of sugar, 55% is fructose, and a banana has 7g of fructose. That means a 20oz soda has as much fructose as 5 bananas. Or 3 apples. Or 9 cups of strawberries. Or 89 cherries.

I still say it comes down to moderation. Yeah, the problem with HFCS is that fructose isn't good for us, but it's really the amount. Americans drink, on average, nearly 45 gallons of soda per year. That's 5760oz of soda. That's the fructose equivalent of almost 1500 bananas.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 15:04 Redmask

I thought E3 was pretty disappointing this year, most of the stuff I was interested in is probably going to stretch into late 2015 or early 2016.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 14:53 Cutter

Bodolza wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 13:31:
RoboNerd wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:03:
Seems to me FDA needs to ask some of these drink manufacturers why their ingredient label fails to disclose the presence of high fructose corn syrup. Clear cut case of mislabeling. So much for Blue's favorite Mexican Coke.

I didn't see any links to how they tested, but that graph makes no sense to me. Sucrose is half fructose/half glucose. How can they have a separate measurement for Sucrose? Mexican Coke is 51% fructose, which is exactly what you'd expect to see in something sweetened with sugar.

Most soft drinks use HFCS 55, which is 55% fructose and 45% glucose - that's right - a whole 5% more than sugar. Most of them showed up with 58%, which is a bit high, but who knows what their margin of error was in these tests.

I don't understand why people say fructose from fruit is better than fructose from vegatables. A fructose molecule is a fructose molecule. It's not like it knows where it came from.

You must have missed it a week or two back when we were talking about this because Cornell or some other major university came out saying not all molecules are created equally, and that yes, HFCS is demonstrably worse.

Personally I find it odd that when we as society moved to heavily refined foods, less real - good - fats, that obesity started and grew into the epidemic it is today. If it's not causal it's a pretty major effing coinky-dink.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 14:50 PHJF

You know those computerized soda machines showing up at places like Burger King?

But that would require I go to a Burger King. The only fast food I eat anymore is Chipotle...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 14:28 Verno

Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 13:28:
You know those computerized soda machines showing up at places like Burger King? I made a Cherry Coke Zero at one that was the best damn soda I ever drank!

You mean like sodastream or whatever? I've kinda wanted to try one of those but I find soda too sweet in general so I'm not sure I'd enjoy it anymore than the canned or fountain stuff.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 13:49 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 13:31 Bodolza

Seems to me FDA needs to ask some of these drink manufacturers why their ingredient label fails to disclose the presence of high fructose corn syrup. Clear cut case of mislabeling. So much for Blue's favorite Mexican Coke.

I didn't see any links to how they tested, but that graph makes no sense to me. Sucrose is half fructose/half glucose. How can they have a separate measurement for Sucrose? Mexican Coke is 51% fructose, which is exactly what you'd expect to see in something sweetened with sugar.

Most soft drinks use HFCS 55, which is 55% fructose and 45% glucose - that's right - a whole 5% more than sugar. Most of them showed up with 58%, which is a bit high, but who knows what their margin of error was in these tests.

I don't understand why people say fructose from fruit is better than fructose from vegatables. A fructose molecule is a fructose molecule. It's not like it knows where it came from.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 13:28 Prez

PHJF wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:30:
I can't drink diet versions of beverages I grew up consuming the regular versions of, but I've found some palatable diet drinks. Cherry 7up and cherry pepsi are my favorites.

You know those computerized soda machines showing up at places like Burger King? I made a Cherry Coke Zero at one that was the best damn soda I ever drank!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 11:40 Creston

Seems to me FDA needs to ask some of these drink manufacturers why their ingredient label fails to disclose the presence of high fructose corn syrup.

? It's on there (for most of them.) Usually as "sugar (high fructose corn syrup)".

There was a huge deal about two years ago about all the soda manufacturers trying to get the name of HFCS changed into something else, because it has such a negative association with it.

But it's on there.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 11:37 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 09:45:
Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 09:23:
Kinda bummed there was no Fallout 4 announcement

Was there anything new from Bethesda at E3 at all? (Apart from the Doom4 promo) Im kind of hoping for a new single player Elder Scrolls game...

You won't see that until 2016/2017. They've really only been working on that for about a year or so, so that's going to take quite a bit longer.

As for FO4, I imagine they'll announce it by the end of this year with a release date for 2015.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo