Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials

A new patch is now live in Diablo III in North America, updating the action/RPG sequel to version 2.06. The patch has a couple of bug fixes and balance changes, and also frees up some inventory space by dispensing with the specific legendary crafting materials previously required to craft set and legendary items. Here's word from the patch notes: "Legendary crafted items are meant to be both a stepping stone into end game items and a good place to spend crafting materials at the end game. While we like the fantasy of having the unique crafting materials, obtaining them was either keeping too many people from being able to complete the recipes in a timely manner or encouraging game flipping and similar less than ideal patterns of play in order to acquire them. As such, we are removing the requirement for unique items when crafting Legendaries."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 12, 2014, 08:29 Armengar

Cant believe I missed this. Was playing NS2 and rising storm for the past week. This is *excellent* news. The trick with crafting is the better sets. Some sets needed SILLY amounts of grind (yes captain crimson im looking at you!) plus some are almost mandatory (aughild etc). Sometimes you couldnt get enough mats to reroll a bad set. This now changes. with a royal ring of grandeur you can build some neat characters.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KK20-2930/hero/17512845

trucking T4 and can play T5 slowly. soon as my jordan rolls arcane it will be easier...

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 18:37 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:18:
In this thread, everyone finally figured out that games designed around grinding the "end game" content are fucking stupid.
There is a game that isn't like that? Hell, even SimCity and Minecraft have "end game" aspects to them. It is simply the nature of things. Sure, it's more so in some games than others, but in the end it is all like that.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 12:56 dj LiTh

I dont know man, as far as D2 went, i couldnt put it down for years and years. Its one of my favorite games of all time, but d3 just doesnt grab me. Maybe Cutter's right and its the older factor, but the systems are so completely different from d2 to d3 that i think that has to do with it. Anyways gonna give it another go, maybe start a new char, see how that goes. I use to play a Monk, but it seems pretty broken as is, which is a pitty because i prefer that play style.  

32. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 11:36 descender

People basically want closure from a game/genre that is designed not to give any

This really hits the nail on the head. ARPG's like this are simply not meant to be finished, so the natural result is eventually you just get bored with it and "move on".

I do agree that the itemization continues to be an issue with D3, especially the balance between different weapons as you said. I think that their damage, toughness and healing "ratings" are doing more harm than they are good, because they don't even add up with the actual damage outputs in the game. I can understand why STR/INT/DEX are tied to the defensive stats they are tied to... but some of it just flat out needs to be re-tuned. You can acquire Armor and AllResist outside of the main stats, but not dodge? Why?! OK, accepting that limitation... why can't I get more DEX for my INT or STR characters without crippling them completely?

I'm glad they got it to the point that it's at with RoS from where it was at launch, but as was said below... a lot of old design decisions are keeping them from fixing D3 completely.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 11:49.

31. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 10:57 Verno

In this thread, everyone finally figured out that games designed around grinding the "end game" content are fucking stupid.

The leveling process in a game like this needs to take way, way longer... so that the journey to the cap can offer you some sort of actual gameplay, challenge, and a carrot to chase (also, and END point... not a perpetual grindfest). When the goal is "Ignore all content, get to level cap as quick as possible, then start actually playing", your design is basically shit. (enter: every hack-n-slash loot generator ever made)

The second flawed game system at work here is the "enemies scale up with you" shit feature that ruined games like Oblivion and FO3. If their health and my damage scale up together, why bother have leveling up at all? Game worlds need clear cut areas and mobs that are "too hard" or "too easy" for you, so you can see tangible results of your endless grinding... so you have something to actually fear in the game world... and also so you have different areas to play in along the way rather than just repeating all of the content endlessly (or that one most efficient area). If it takes me 4 hits to kill something, then I spend 700 hours leveling up towards the "cap", but it still takes 4 hits to kill the same "something"... you see where I'm going here.

I've said it before, these games are all fun to a point... but they will never, ever have the longevity or success that D2 had... mainly because D2 was NO BETTER with these systems at all. It was simply the only thing like it to play at the time.

I don't know, I sort of agree with what you're saying but I think you miss the mark on other important problems.

I agree that the leveling progression should be more defined and meaningful. Right now you basically hit 70 and the whole game changes, everything before it is meaningless. At least the Inferno system gave more clearly defined progression if nothing else. I'm more of a fan of each step up in Torment having its own unique loot or some form of character progression but I know a lot of casual players don't like that approach. I'd also like to see each Torment increment give more unique enemies to add more challenge.

The itemization is another area where the game really needs major work. 2handers are almost always a soul, crit and crit damage are way too overvalued, secondaries are bizarrely implemented/balanced and elemental damage itemization is very imbalanced. The core stat implementations are weird too, dex giving dodge for example is very questionable in terms of value compared to int or str which give much better toughness benefits and more reliable damage mitigation. There are way too many "end game" items that end up being trashed because of poor itemization.

I think there is a combination of tiered rifts, ladder and other stuff that could provide a compelling end game but it sounds like many people basically want closure from a game/genre that is designed not to give any. Play it while its fun and play other shit when you're bored.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

30. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 10:34 descender

LOL DUDE. No.

Not at all.

The cap on mob difficulty just didn't match the level cap after about level 40, and it took an ungodly amount of time to hit that cap in the first place. You had no option but to play through the same leveled content over and over, you couldn't really wander into an area that was "too hard for you" at all unless you just ran past mobs during your first 2 playthroughs.

So... Which reasons were you talking about?

29. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 10:30 InBlack

The leveling process in a game like this needs to take way, way longer... so that the journey to the cap can offer you some sort of actual gameplay, challenge, and a carrot to chase (also, and END point... not a perpetual grindfest). When the goal is "Ignore all content, get to level cap as quick as possible, then start actually playing", your design is basically shit. (enter: every hack-n-slash loot generator ever made)

The second flawed game system at work here is the "enemies scale up with you" shit feature that ruined games like Oblivion and FO3. If their health and my damage scale up together, why bother have leveling up at all? Game worlds need clear cut areas and mobs that are "too hard" or "too easy" for you, so you can see tangible results of your endless grinding... so you have something to actually fear in the game world... and also so you have different areas to play in along the way rather than just repeating all of the content endlessly (or that one most efficient area). If it takes me 4 hits to kill something, then I spend 700 hours leveling up towards the "cap", but it still takes 4 hits to kill the same "something"... you see where I'm going here.

I've said it before, these games are all fun to a point... but they will never, ever have the longevity or success that D2 had... mainly because D2 was NO BETTER with these systems at all. It was simply the only thing like it to play at the time.

Lol Dude. D2 WAS better than these games, precicely for the reasons you named in your post.

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 10:18 descender

27. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 09:11 {PH}88fingers

I also stopped playing about 2 weeks ago.
Got my Wizard to paragon lvl 310 and up to 2,2 million damage sitting in town but whats left to play for? keep trying for 1 wand?

26. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 09:10 Verno

I'm up to paragon 400ish as of last night and I still enjoy playing my Barb. Barb has quite a few interesting builds and despite the nerfs is still pretty powerful. My main beef is that they have to sacrifice a lot of survivability and power to get decent party buffs compared to the other classes so they're not as desirable for Torment 6 play. My friends don't care but the difference between playing my Barb and my Crusader is very apparent, we have a much easier time when I'm on my Crusader.

In terms of Diablo 3 itself, the core gameplay is solid, the games sub systems and mechanics are hampered by old design decisions unfortunately. My main beef is just RNG stuff, it took me forever to get my LeapQuake/BarbBros gear setup for my Barb and its nowhere near ideally rolled. My Crusader I played pretty casually and he has full Akkhans, Darklight and a ton of other BiS gear. It just sucks because I don't even enjoy playing it very much compared to the Barb.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

25. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 08:51 Fibrocyte

Ventura wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 07:04:
Torment 4 grinder here, about 220 paragon levels in, my main is a Barbarian. I was firing it up daily until about half a week ago, when I just stopped playing, and I've had no urge to play since.

It's a good game, I'm just... over the grind. The game really doesn't have a whole lot of depth when you stop to think about it.

I'm mostly in the same boat. My witch doctor can farm T5 solo (though T4 is much faster) and I abruptly stopped playing when Wildstar was released. I may pick-up D3 again at the next expansion if they add some more interesting elements other than just an extension of the story.

24. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 08:48 Pigeon

Luke wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 07:45:
InBlack wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 04:07:
dj LiTh wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:10:
Hey guys, honest question. I cant for the life of me enjoy this game because i dont see the point of getting better gear....just to get better gear? And i really really do love ARPG's, but D3 it just seems so pointless to me? Can you guys share your experience with me on why you play this as opposed to (any) other ARPG's?

You are right, after a while it kind of loses its lustre. Playing on hardcore is where the fun is at for me. The challenge is staying alive and getting to higher and higher tiers of difficulty. Im at Act3 with my Barb ATM but I quit playing about two weeks ago. You are right, there is very little motivation at the moment. This will change for the better hopefully once they release ladder and add ladder only items and some kind of ranking system etc.

I spent a lot more time in D2 hanging out in games, talking to people, hanging out in the various chat rooms, trading than I did gaming. This was a good thing. It provided a much needed break from the grind and allowed the meta game to flourish. No one has any desire in D3 public games to do any socializing, all they want to do is run rifts as fast as possible. Kind of sad if you ask me....

No one has any desire in D3 public games to do any socializing, all they want to do is run rifts as fast as possible. Kind of sad if you ask me....

It "kind of " started with WOW from one day to another peps stopped talking to each other , it was all about getting the daily's done...
Book

That's the problem with offering rewards based on running a dungeon 80 bajjillion times. Any MMO I've played lately has been like that, its a cheap way of stretching the content.

23. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 07:45 Luke

InBlack wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 04:07:
Hey guys, honest question. I cant for the life of me enjoy this game because i dont see the point of getting better gear....just to get better gear? And i really really do love ARPG's, but D3 it just seems so pointless to me? Can you guys share your experience with me on why you play this as opposed to (any) other ARPG's?

You are right, after a while it kind of loses its lustre. Playing on hardcore is where the fun is at for me. The challenge is staying alive and getting to higher and higher tiers of difficulty. Im at Act3 with my Barb ATM but I quit playing about two weeks ago. You are right, there is very little motivation at the moment. This will change for the better hopefully once they release ladder and add ladder only items and some kind of ranking system etc.

I spent a lot more time in D2 hanging out in games, talking to people, hanging out in the various chat rooms, trading than I did gaming. This was a good thing. It provided a much needed break from the grind and allowed the meta game to flourish. No one has any desire in D3 public games to do any socializing, all they want to do is run rifts as fast as possible. Kind of sad if you ask me....

No one has any desire in D3 public games to do any socializing, all they want to do is run rifts as fast as possible. Kind of sad if you ask me....

It "kind of " started with WOW from one day to another peps stopped talking to each other , it was all about getting the daily's done...
Book

22. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 07:28 Redmask

It is pointless right now without ladders in my opinion. You get to T6 to sort of prove to yourself you can do the most difficult content but then you do the same thing with an alt or you burn out and play something else. Rerolling the same gear you already have is not fun. They made a lot of positive changes in Reaper of Souls but the underlying game is still very flawed, the legacy of that other idiot designer. The addition of ladders in 2.1 will help and there is really no excuse why it should have taken this long.

In the end its just like an MMO in terms of grinding so if you don't find the core gameplay rewarding or just burned out on it then just play something else. I play Diablo 3 every time there is a major patch, declare its fun again, burn out a week later and then move onto other shit.

21. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 07:04 Ventura

Torment 4 grinder here, about 220 paragon levels in, my main is a Barbarian. I was firing it up daily until about half a week ago, when I just stopped playing, and I've had no urge to play since.

It's a good game, I'm just... over the grind. The game really doesn't have a whole lot of depth when you stop to think about it.

20. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 04:07 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 01:57 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:33:
I've been playing this a good amount the past few days, having purchased it over the weekend. I already have two legendary crafting materials. I'm not sure I'm playing the game right, just yet:

- I scrap everything and sell nothing. This feels right, as you get such little money from selling
- That said, I've only crafted one thing. What should I consider for crafting
- Armor # means little, right? I mean, I have a helmet that gives me 30, and another one in inventory that gives 60, which feels huge but the stats show that the benefits of the 30 outweigh that figure, so I've been sticking with the 30

I'm playing on normal. I just got to Leoric's mansion and I haven't died yet. I haven't come close to dying. The only time my health was noticeably low it was due to me standing on lava without realizing it. I'm thinking Normal is too easy, as I'm using absolutely no strategy and having absolutely no challenge.

Basically nothing you do until level 70 means anything, so don't over think it. Set the difficulty up high and try fighting stuff, if you die, turn down the difficulty while in game (press Esc and upper right corner), rinse repeat until you find a comfortable difficulty. It's in your best interest to get to lvl 70 before the end of the campaign, so you may as well get the bonus exp from higher difficulties.

At level 70, you will generally get enough Armor from your gear without having to gear specifically for it. Ideally you want to be level 70 when you kill Malthael, as it's your only guaranteed Legendary drop at level 70. You will also get the Reaper's Wraps Plan. With any luck you will already have the materials needed to craft it. With more luck it will roll close to 20% Elemental Dmg, 500 Mainstat, Crit Chance 6 and one other stat that you can enchant to whatever you need.

Once the story is done, start doing Act 1 Bounty Runs on Normal to get some quick gear and maybe a Ring of Royal Grandeur (reduce set bonus requirement by one. Kill only what's in front of you, kill the bounties as fast as possible, do split bounties in a group on Normal as fast as your gear allows. Use "Bounty Runz" community in the game to get groups. The faster you get the Bounty Caches the better. Once you get some gear and Rift Fragments from bounty runs, you can start doing Rifts. You want to be running Torment 1 Rifts as soon as possible for the Set pieces. By now you should have most of your gear upgraded to lvl 70 Legendaries.

Save gear with elemental dmg and/or special effects, as you never know when you will change builds. My DH has several builds that I use for different purposes and Torment level. I have my Fire/Cluster Arrow build and gear that is good for rifting or split bounty runs in a group up to Torment 4, this set can't really improve much further. Then there is Fire/Strafe (aka: easy mode) build and gear that is good for Torment 1/2 split bounties and for super fast solo Rifts or power leveling someone (one that will improve with with 1 or two other specific items). Then there is the end game Physical Sentry build with Marauder 6pc set, which I just got recently. I can do Torment 6 solo and in a group, but not efficiently yet. I will improve with 4 specific pieces of gear, with a couple possible weapon alternatives that will also require slight build changes.

I've been playing a bit less lately, but have been messing around with other characters as well, all are between Torment 1 to 4 capable, but need lots of specific gear to progress.

From what the devs have learned from the success of RoS, I'm interested to see what the new gear and set bonuses are going to be in the Seasons. There are some gaps, in every classes skillsets, and of course some class sets are very weak and are being changed soon. But with the limitation of the number of class sets, only certain builds have been designed to be viable at Torment 6, with a bit of variation depending on your non set gear.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 02:02.

18. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 00:45 Cutter

Yeah, ARPGs have worn thin for me. Just not into grinding on the hamster wheel anymore. When Diablo came out it was great. D2? Enh not so much. D3? I was pretty meh about it. Played through it doubt I'll go back to it again. Doubt I'll even bother with the expansion - even at a deep discount, well maybe for $5.

Maybe it's just getting older but I find I'm much more picky about what I buy and play now. And the only thing that I'm really still loving are CPRGs. I need some story, some narrative, some character interaction. Is that what Elite/Star Citizen/No Man's Sky are going to be about? Fight/trade/explore but with no real stories? That gets old fast. Maybe you're just getting older too. Grinding for the sake of grinding is actually pretty pointless. Oh, 1 hour later and I found a marginally better item. Whoopdee-frickin'-doo.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 10, 2014, 23:56 dj LiTh

Thanks Rhett and Nin, think i'll give it another go  

16. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 10, 2014, 23:55 PHJF

While it was certainly lame entering/exiting games until a particular bounty target showed up, this doesn't sound like a good solution. Rifts are boring. Until they make them less so, any option for play besides rifting is a good thing. Just doing bounties doesn't provide reward enough to compete with rifting.

For the record, this is more or less the only game I've been playing for the past couple of months. I like bumping into other players and seeing them do crazy shit, checking their gear, and then telling myself I've got to find whatever it is they're wearing.

The patch notes also said, "We know the monk sucks, we plan on making him not suck in the near future." I'm glad they finally noticed.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo