Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer

A new patch is now available for Battlezone II, updating the action/strategy hybrid to version 1.3.6.5. The new version replaces the multiplayer functionality lost amid the Glu/GameSpy takeover, as it was one of the first games impacted by the change. The patch itself is unofficial, and considered a public beta, though it was created by a couple of the game's original programmers. Word is: "The 1.3.6.5 Public Beta patch is a cumulative patch for Battlezone II that includes a number of fixes and new features, such as Windows XP/Vista/7/8 compatibility, DirectX 9 graphics, networking moved from Gamespy (where support has been terminated) to RakNet, integrated voice chat in multiplayer games, over 140 maps for multiplayer installed with the patch, stability improvements, and a lot of other fixes and features." The patch can be found on this page.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 15:00 Creston

Parias wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:58:
Gib007 wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:48:
I loved Battlezone I and II myself. Indeed there has been nothing to replace it thus far, but it something did, or if they even made Battlezone III, everyone would think it was crap and the original was better. The market today is saturated and there's always the "sequel sucks" psychology.

It's a bit of a different setting, but Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is the same sort of RTS / action game mix, with roughly the same kind of direct-ordering system for bossing your units around (or directly going into the action yourself).

It's also got a half-decent story to boot (narrated by Tom Baker!) and is worth a look if you were a Battlezone fan.

Absolutely seconded. Hostile Waters is one of my favorite games of all time. I still replay it every year or so.

Bonus: It's back on GOG!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 14:59 Creston

Kudos to those programmers for doing this. That's awesome, guys.  

9. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 13:31 LittleMe

Well with the first you needed several quarters before you got the full experience. End game was lacking though.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 13:10 Orogogus

I loved Battlezone I and II myself. Indeed there has been nothing to replace it thus far, but it something did, or if they even made Battlezone III, everyone would think it was crap and the original was better. The market today is saturated and there's always the "sequel sucks" psychology.

There was already that in 1999. You can see people below saying the original was superior, and opinions were a lot more vehement 16 years ago.

7. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 12:39 sir

There's a forum dedicated to the original game, http://www.battlezone1.org/index.php

Apparently you can download the game from the forum too, but I'd never condone that

6. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 12:13 Prez

I'd play it unless it was absolutely nothing like the original. I'm still waiting for a decent sale to buy the new Thief despite all of the complaining that it's too different.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 11:58 Parias

It's a bit of a different setting, but Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is the same sort of RTS / action game mix, with roughly the same kind of direct-ordering system for bossing your units around (or directly going into the action yourself).

It's also got a half-decent story to boot (narrated by Tom Baker!) and is worth a look if you were a Battlezone fan.

4. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 11:48 Gib007

3. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 10:26 InBlack

nin wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:09:
Prez wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:59:
Never tried mulitplayer, but I played BZ2 for years after it was dead - fun game, and there really hasn't been anything like it.

I miss the first one - loved it!

Same here. The second one was decent, but the first one really had that special something.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 10:09 nin

Prez wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:59:
Never tried mulitplayer, but I played BZ2 for years after it was dead - fun game, and there really hasn't been anything like it.

I miss the first one - loved it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Battlezone II Patch Restores Multiplayer Jun 9, 2014, 09:59 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo