Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $45M

Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries celebrates Star Citizen passing the $45 million mark in crowd-sourced funding. Chairman Roberts discusses the Hadesian Artifact this milestone unlocks, reveals the Engine Tuning Kit won the voting for their "final 'flare' reward," and announces the Freelancer was the winner of the fan voting, and there's a new Freelancer Commercial video showing it in action. He also opens the voting for another ship to get a commercial as one of the $46 million rewards. Thanks 88fingers.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 12:33 SpectralMeat

Nom4d wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:57:
big red warning label saying "THIS IS PRE ALPHA / ALPHA! Nothing is final! Help us improve the game, by purchasing this shiny new space ship for just $180 while supplies last" and yet no one seems to grasp this whatsoever.
Fixed that for you
I get that it is Alpha not final dude, which is why I said hopefully by Beta version the handling will be acceptable. Even though they seemed to be more concerned with pretty commercial videos for digital space ships than patching the Arena Commander with the fixes they've done based on community feedback

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 12:31 Creston

Nom4d wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:57:
Creston wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:46:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 08:17:
I am not sure what was promised in terms of handling but this Alpha build doesn't feel like ship physics or flight controls for that matter were top priority in the development.

Isn't that kind of the point (or one of the points) of this entire arena commander release, though? To get that kind of feedback so they can tweak the flight model?

Ding ding ding! That is the right answer Tom, you win 1 free internet. Yes, on just about everything that's released, be it news, videos or the hangar and Arena Commander it all has a big red warning label saying "THIS IS PRE ALPHA / ALPHA! Nothing is final! Help us improve the game." and yet no one seems to grasp this whatsoever.

Well, to be fair, some devs do an alpha test or a beta test and say "this is what it is, just find bugs," and I wasn't sure if this had been declared as THE flight model, or if they were soliciting feedback on it with an eye on changing it based on that feedback.

59. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 12:29 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 12:28:
I am not sure what was promised in terms of handling but this Alpha build doesn't feel like ship physics or flight controls for that matter were top priority in the development.

Isn't that kind of the point (or one of the points) of this entire arena commander release, though? To get that kind of feedback so they can tweak the flight model?

Of course it is, which is why I said:

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:11:
At the end of the day I dislike how the ship I have access to handles and I hope they will somehow make this more fun during the dev process.

Yeah it probably would have helped had I read on and saw your other post before asking the question.

58. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 12:28 SpectralMeat

Of course it is, which is why I said:

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:11:
At the end of the day I dislike how the ship I have access to handles and I hope they will somehow make this more fun during the dev process.

57. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 11:57 Nom4d

Ding ding ding! That is the right answer Tom, you win 1 free internet. Yes, on just about everything that's released, be it news, videos or the hangar and Arena Commander it all has a big red warning label saying "THIS IS PRE ALPHA / ALPHA! Nothing is final! Help us improve the game." and yet no one seems to grasp this whatsoever.

56. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 11:46 Creston

55. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 10:24 InBlack

I have flight pedals. Flight pedals rock.  

I have a nifty blue line!

54. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 10:14 Jamil20

Gib007 wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:02:
Well, keep in mind a POV hat can take into account 2 DOF extra on the joystick. For example, in Elite Dangerous, I use my POV hat for the vertical and lateral thrusters so I can move around a target. I plan to have this on Star Citizen as well. There's a lot to be said about TrackIR for situational awareness of simply looking around as well. I really miss it in Arena Commander's current state.

That would work. I worry that there would be a loss in precision similar to game-pad joysticks vs mouse+kb in first person shooters. Those gimbal weapons demand accuracy. It would probably need some auto-aim like on consoles.

53. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 10:10 Jamil20

warmbluelasers wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:05:
Jamil20 wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:25:
You can turn on Freelancer-like controls by hitting CTRL-F.

I already know about the alternate flight mode, hence why I said both mouse control schemes.

Sorry, misunderstood. Thought you were referring to coupled vs. non-coupled modes.

52. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 10:05 warmbluelasers

Jamil20 wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:25:

I already know about the alternate flight mode, hence why I said both mouse control schemes.

51. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 10:02 Gib007

Jamil20 wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:19:

I think the flight model is very nice, but the controls are extremely limited. Space sims have always tried to shoehorn in atmospheric flight controls, which are limited to 3DOF in a 6DOF universe, ie. the joystick. The joystick alone is too limited. Plus, there's these gimbal weapons available which add 2 axis to control, so that's 8 total degrees of freedom required for full control.

I think the ideal setup is joystick(yaw, pitch, roll) + keyboard(up/down, left/right, front/back) for 6DOF, and head tracking(x, y) on the gimbal weapons or user interface. Of course, this would be a barrier to entry for many people, but it should be available.

Instead, we have some extremely limited control schemes. Joystick only (3DOF), mouse+keyboard (5DOF), and gamepad(don't know).

Well, keep in mind a POV hat can take into account 2 DOF extra on the joystick. For example, in Elite Dangerous, I use my POV hat for the vertical and lateral thrusters so I can move around a target. I plan to have this on Star Citizen as well. There's a lot to be said about TrackIR for situational awareness of simply looking around as well. I really miss it in Arena Commander's current state.

50. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 09:25 Jamil20

warmbluelasers wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:03:

You won't be able to work the gimbal weapons though. Like I said previously, all the available control schemes force you to make sacrifices.

49. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 09:19 Jamil20

I think the flight model is very nice, but the controls are extremely limited. Space sims have always tried to shoehorn in atmospheric flight controls, which are limited to 3DOF in a 6DOF universe, ie. the joystick. The joystick alone is too limited. Plus, there's these gimbal weapons available which add 2 axis to control, so that's 8 total degrees of freedom required for full control.

I think the ideal setup is joystick(yaw, pitch, roll) + keyboard(up/down, left/right, front/back) for 6DOF, and head tracking(x, y) on the gimbal weapons or user interface. Of course, this would be a barrier to entry for many people, but it should be available.

Instead, we have some extremely limited control schemes. Joystick only (3DOF), mouse+keyboard (5DOF), and gamepad(don't know).

48. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 09:11 SpectralMeat

warmbluelasers wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:03:
It really doesn't feel like Freelancer, having just played it a few months ago. Freelancer was completely on rails and instantly responsive.
Yeah there is definitely some input lag. Freelancer is more responsive but also it is a 10 or so years old game.
To me SC felt closest to Freelancer handling though, but I am no expert.

47. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 09:03 warmbluelasers

I know this question wasn't asked from me, but for me the handling in SC is kind of weird.
Much more simplified than Elite.
It feels like the ship handling was made for people playing with kb+m or a game pad.
If you play Freelancer again the ship handling is a lot like that.

It really doesn't feel like Freelancer, having just played it a few months ago. Freelancer was completely on rails and instantly responsive.

My loaner Hornet - a ship that's supposed to be about military dogfighting - feels very sluggish, bouncy and lop-sided with either of the mouse controls schemes, or even a joystick. It's not even close to how Wing Commander handled.

Early on CR said he wanted to simulate every little thruster and control surface. I remember that well because it was in the original backer presentations. Then it was supposed to be fed through a fly-by-wire control scheme. I'm sure the dev team has fudged the simulation a bunch, but I can feel the middle-man. Maneuvering at speed with even a dent in one of the wings (which have no thrusters and control surfaces mean nothing in void) turns the whole thing into bull riding. My pilot friend loves it but I'm still getting used to spending more time fighting my controls than the enemy.

The most disappointing thing is this sophisticated AI they hyped in a couple videos. So far it's only marginally better than the retard AI in the X games. They can manage to avoid stationary objects - most of the time. However mnay of my deaths have been from Vandul playing chicken or the wingmen shooting up my ass.

The best part about Star Citizen though is how emotionally invested people are getting both for and against the game. It's got as much popcorn drama fighting as a POTUS election.

46. Re: Into the Black Jun 9, 2014, 09:01 Verno

NKD wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 23:36:
harlock wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 21:28:
NegaDeath wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 20:19:
a nazi sympathizer

should i even bother to ask?

Dude was downplaying the Holocaust and playing up the benefits of the Third Reich in a previous thread. I believe the context was he wanted a game where he was a Nazi hero.

Hahaha at least hes cast off any semblance of being a legit poster and just gone full troll.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

45. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 08:25 Xero

Chairman Roberts gives you guys an extra spaceship to oogle over. He goes out and buys another Lambo to add to his garage. Rofl.  

Currently playing: Sanitarium, Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 08:17 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 06:32:
Mordhaus wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 19:52:
I know what you mean, I asked for a refund of 180 bucks because Arena Commander had a completely different flight model than what was promised from day 1. I have a bad feeling this is Duke Nukem Forever v2.

This is an interesting post. A backer who asked for his money back (very few of those around). Could you clarify what exactly is wrong with the DFM? Im not trying to troll or anything, Im merely interested in how the end result differs from what was promised?

I know this question wasn't asked from me, but for me the handling in SC is kind of weird.
Much more simplified than Elite.
It feels like the ship handling was made for people playing with kb+m or a game pad.
If you play Freelancer again the ship handling is a lot like that.

Seeing that they are still making "commercial" videos for ship packages I guess actual game development is still not that important to work on. Saw these new ships on the store page with $180 and $150 price tags and Chris Roberts smiling in the hoodie on the right side of the page makes me want to throw up.
Anyways hope they will start working on actual physics and handling on this game one day and not just graphics and animations.

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 08:17 loomy

Most or all of you have not seen a triple-A game 2 years out from release. So you don't know what you're talking about when you criticize this. I suggest you look up the Stalker and Half-Life 2 leaks. This far into development they had more content of lower quality, and no one would have bought them for a dollar.

Star Citizen has close to 10 studios working in parallel with virtually unlimited budget. You may not have fun when it's done, but it will be done, and it will be something amazing to see.

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 9, 2014, 06:44 dj LiTh

Also not gonna buy in early. Really want to see this project succeed though, i do have my doubts (maybe just not as vocal as others ;). Been burned too badly this last year on preorders, which is my fault.  

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo