Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Managed to clear some wood and leaves yesterday without losing any blood to tick bites, much less chainsaw accidents. We definitely picked the right day to do it, too, as it's a lot hotter today than yesterday, and I was able to put that cooling towel I got to good use as it was.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Demonic Flower.
The Mind.
Stories: Robert Plant Fires Back at Jimmy Page Over Led Zeppelin Reunion.
America's Most Watched- The Top 50 Shows of the 2013-2014 TV Season.
Media: Best Fails of the Week 1 June 2014.
How Not to Pull a Jeep from the Mud. NSFW.
Cardboard invisibility suit.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2014, 11:41 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 18:10:
Even PC centric franchises like The Elder Scrolls are vastly outsold by the consoles, 3mil for that one if I recall correctly.

That 3 million was completely utterly made up by a website. There's no way Skyrim only sold 3 million copies if it was in Steam's top 10 for basically two years straight. Steam makes over 1.5 billion in revenue, there's no way those two numbers add up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 21:52 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 21:39:
I think the question isn't will they make money porting GTAV to PC. They would without a doubt. The question is whether they would get a better ROI having those same devs work on GTA 6 instead.

We also don't know what kind of DLC is coming for 5 yet. If it's on the scale of Liberty City Stories, it could be big. But that was also co-financed by MS, at the time.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. E3! Jun 8, 2014, 21:46 Ant

It looks like I will finally go to my very first one. Although, I am old and not into gaming much as I used to. Hopefully, E3 will be an interesting experience.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 21:39 jdreyer

I think the question isn't will they make money porting GTAV to PC. They would without a doubt. The question is whether they would get a better ROI having those same devs work on GTA 6 instead.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 19:13 harlock

take a nap heh  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 19:13 Frags4Fun

I'm very skeptical about a GTAV PC release but would like to see it happen. It's a fantastic game!  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 18:10 Redmask

That's a really simplistic and flawed methodology to estimate potential sales on the PC platform. A conversion rate of 2-3% would be significant, 10+% would never happen unless your name is Valve. Even PC centric franchises like The Elder Scrolls are vastly outsold by the consoles, 3mil for that one if I recall correctly. That doesn't mean a PC port couldn't be profitable with modest sales though.

The real question is, can the potential 1-2 mil in PC unit sales and DLC outweigh the cost of porting? I think it can. The PC is a good long tail seller and Steam sales alone will guarantee significant lifetime revenue which is attractive. PC users are also spending a lot more on microtransactions than console gamers which will appeal to their GTA Online efforts. Despite the challenges involved the ease of porting will be considerably improved thanks to next gen consoles moving to x86 and the control scheme problems are things Rockstar has faced before.

I don't see any obstacles for a PC version if there is a next gen console release. I don't think it would cost $50M to port it either, that seems really high.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2014, 18:32.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 17:48 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 15:09:
nin wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 14:20:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 14:18:
one day when GTA5 comes to PC, there will be a Total Conversion mod to turn Los Santos into Los Angeles. what is taking Rockstar so long?!

Hoping we get an announcement in the next day or two, with E3. If not, I'm going to be mighty disappointed.

Whereas it's money on the table not to make a PC version, I can imagine them not bothering. When you make a billion dollars on your game, the thought of converting it to the PC with it's vast array of hardware, OSs, and control schemes for maybe another $50M might appear not worth the effort.

"Convert GTAV to PC?"
"Nah, let's just get started on GTA6 & RDR2. For consoles only."

65 million Steam users beg to differ. Even half of that at full price would almost be an easy billion for them. Yer nuts to leave that sort of change on the table.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 16:20 DangerDog

I would expect GTA V for next gen consoles before PC  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 15:14 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 15:09:
one day when GTA5 comes to PC, there will be a Total Conversion mod to turn Los Santos into Los Angeles. what is taking Rockstar so long?!

Hoping we get an announcement in the next day or two, with E3. If not, I'm going to be mighty disappointed.

Whereas it's money on the table not to make a PC version, I can imagine them not bothering. When you make a billion dollars on your game, the thought of converting it to the PC with it's vast array of hardware, OSs, and control schemes for maybe another $50M might appear not worth the effort.

"Convert GTAV to PC?"

While I agree with that somewhat, I would hope both new consoles (also) being x86 based would help with sales, and perhaps spur them.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 15:09 jdreyer

"Convert GTAV to PC?"

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 15:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 13:49:
Zep was always my fave band but let it go. Even seeing them at the O2 was pretty sad. Rob can't get anywhere close to belting it out like he used to. Same with all those bands with guys in their 60s and 70s. You had your day in the sun, revel in it, but learn to bow out gracefully. Like Nero said, you can never go home again.

Yeah, saw Page/Plant in the late 90s. Was expecting the healthy-living Plant to be great, and the drug abusing Jimmy Page to suck. However, the opposite was true: Plant couldn't sing for shit, and Page TOTALLY rocked the house. I guess I don't mind if these old bands tour, but I won't be going to see them.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 14:50 Lilricky

When you think you may come into contact with ticks, you might want to treat your clothes with permethrin. You can buy the Sawyer brand at your local Walmart. Once treated and dried, any tick or mosquito for that matter that touches treated clothing, will die instantly. Also, once dry, it is completely safe for humans.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 14:43 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 13:49:
Zep was always my fave band but let it go. Even seeing them at the O2 was pretty sad. Rob can't get anywhere close to belting it out like he used to.

It's hard on the mortal frame to host the voice of a god.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 14:20 nin

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 14:18 Fantaz

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2014, 13:49 Cutter

Zep was always my fave band but let it go. Even seeing them at the O2 was pretty sad. Rob can't get anywhere close to belting it out like he used to. Same with all those bands with guys in their 60s and 70s. You had your day in the sun, revel in it, but learn to bow out gracefully. Like Nero said, you can never go home again.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo