Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Patched

The Roberts Space Industries Project Status page has details on a new patch that's now live in the early access version of Star Citizen, updating the Early Access version of the space combat game to version 12.1 (thanks Robert). This contains a number of bug fixes, and temporarily upgrades everyone's hangar to allow them to vote on the two TNGS finalist ships today. Here's word:

Star Citizen Patch 12.1

• Today’s patch adds the Freelancer variants to the Hangar and gives backers a first look at the two TNGS finalist ships! Vote for your favorite during the live TNGS broadcast, Saturday, June 7th at 3 PM PST.

• PLEASE NOTE: Your Hangar has temporarily been updated to Deluxe to display the TNGS finalists. The ships will be removed and your normal Hangar returned after the finale.
  • Updates
    • Added upgraded base Freelancer and all variants to the Hangar Module
    • Upgraded all backers to Deluxe Hangars so we can add the TNGS finalist ships
    • Increased the size of production server and deployed servers with Google Compute
    • Added Four Horseman’s – Aegis Dynamics – Redeemer – to all backer hangars
    • Added Shard Collective’s – Origin Jumpworks – AX114 Boomslang – to all backer hangars
    • Light polish and hookup work on The Next Great Starship ships for display in the hangar
    • Add missiles to the freelancer_max
    • Adjusted power consumption and the speed of the laser bolt for the Klaus and Werner CF007 Bulldog
  • Bugs Fixed
    • Unable to access multiplayer with an account that contains the appropriate multiplayer game mode items
    • Resolved an issue in multiplayer where the pilot enter animation would play every time you respawn
    • Resolved an issue with the Hornet’s Gatling gun which would cause it to begin taking heat damage prior to reaching a critical heat state
    • Resolved an issue with the AI firing their Gatling guns constantly until they were destroyed due to heat damage
    • Resolved an issue with pilot animations becoming offset in the 300i when viewed in 3rd person
    • Resolved an issue which caused the animations for pitching up and down in the cockpit to be reversed.
    • Resolved an issue which caused AI who were destroyed when the player blew up their engine and reactor to register as having committed suicide.
    • Resolved an issue in multiplayer that would often cause a crash of the server and clients at the end of a round
    • Corrected an issue with cooling on the 300i which could cause unintentional overheating under normal operating conditions

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 9, 2014, 00:57 Timmeh

harlock wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 12:49:
Timmeh wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 12:37:
uh they explained what they meant by ww2 model and it clearly does not mean exactly and everything like a ww2 combat style. its simply a little bit of license like limiting speed.

uh that sounds stupid as shit

heh, keep dancing tho

I love you guys dont ever change. ;-)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 14:25 jdreyer

Iurand wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 05:19:
Dev comment

While that's very cool, and how I would prefer to play it, I wonder if they will/should offer a simplified flight model in the vein of "fun trumps realism."

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

42. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 13:10 CJ_Parker

Iurand wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 11:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 07:35:
Listen up, homefuck. Before calling others retarded you may want to google hard enuff cuz then you will find a quote from Christ (typo intentional) Roberts where he said that they were aiming for a WW2 feel with regards to the dogfighting style.

It's your job to back your claim with evidence.

Nope, Sir, it ain't. This ain't a scientific paper but teh intahnetz so I can claim any old shit I desire until your cute little face turns red with anger bwwaaahhahahahahahaaaa .

41. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 12:49 harlock

Timmeh wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 12:37:
uh they explained what they meant by ww2 model and it clearly does not mean exactly and everything like a ww2 combat style. its simply a little bit of license like limiting speed.

uh that sounds stupid as shit

heh, keep dancing tho

40. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 12:37 Timmeh

harlock wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 12:19:
Listen up, homefuck. Before calling others retarded you may want to google hard enuff cuz then you will find a quote from Christ (typo intentional) Roberts where he said that they were aiming for a WW2 feel with regards to the dogfighting style.

(btw this took 2 clicks from google..)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/star-citizen-the-ign-interview

"But that's not fun. The model is really World War II dogfighting in space. Even though we're doing a bunch of things on the physics side that are actually accurate, we do do things like limiting speeds because it's really the only way where you can have much fun dogfighting. So we take a certain amount of license to bring it down into the fantasy realm of space combat.”

are you satisfied yet? whats your next complaint

I feel pretty justified by my earlier comment.

(note i didn't actually call anyone retarded. i simply suggested they had a close relationship with it ;-)

39. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 12:19 harlock

(btw this took 2 clicks from google..)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/star-citizen-the-ign-interview

"But that's not fun. The model is really World War II dogfighting in space. Even though we're doing a bunch of things on the physics side that are actually accurate, we do do things like limiting speeds because it's really the only way where you can have much fun dogfighting. So we take a certain amount of license to bring it down into the fantasy realm of space combat.”

are you satisfied yet? whats your next complaint

38. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 11:01 Iurand

37. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 07:35 CJ_Parker

Timmeh wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 05:29:
Mordhaus wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 20:01:
After flying my hornet in AC, I asked for a refund of my kickstarter. The flight model is not what they promised, you hit the spacebar and basically can just turret in space. It was supposed to be a ww2/star wars style dogfight flight model, but it's the complete opposite.

My head hurts from face palming so hard. Its controlling exactly like it should but apparently your ice cream is to cold and you want your ball so you can go home... nice

why would ww2 air combat even make sense in space? I mean seriously. And where was that ever promised? There is inertia and there are control jets on the craft... IN SPACE....

You have a very close relationship with retarded don't you.

Listen up, homefuck. Before calling others retarded you may want to google hard enuff cuz then you will find a quote from Christ (typo intentional) Roberts where he said that they were aiming for a WW2 feel with regards to the dogfighting style. The poster you were replying to might have misundastoodz the fine print but still that's generally what Roberts said.
As for the fine print, I believe Roberts meant just the "speed" or the dynamics of the dogfights, i.e. he was trying to make a point that people won't be zipping past each other at the speed of light or usually won't be fighting each other from BVR like modern combat jets. He wanted a generally visceral, up close, "personal" kind of dogfighting style like in WW2 where the aircraft needed to get within a pretty close range of each other to reliably score some kills.

Finally, I'd say that you can't blame anyone for expecting a WC-like, X-Wing-like or any other sim-like atmospheric flight model because that is what simply works best. People want responsive controls and expected behavior and flight paths. A proper Newtonian flight model may be all fine and dandy in the realism department (though then you'd be well advised to go all the way and make the craft be controlled more by Houston than from the craft itself) but from a gameplay perspective it's simply a nuisance.
Besides, this far into the future, with interplanetary travel being as normal as riding in a car, you'd expect that -with all the thrusters and other avionic aids- a spacecraft would be able to simulate atmospheric flight to near perfection.

So I 100% second the notion that the current SC flight model is beyond retarded and anyone defending it must have not just a brown but a black nose from sniffing Christ Roberts' asshole too much .

36. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 07:12 Mordhaus

It's not controlling like they said it would. I am far from being the only one ticked off, feel free to check the RSI forums. As far as having a close relationship with someone that has an intellectual disability, I really don't think that I could call responding to you a close relationship. Perhaps if we went to a movie or had dinner, I would have to get to know you more before getting close to you.  

35. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 07:09 Mordhaus

Nice video, didn't address what I was talking about, ie the space brake that allows you to spin and turret. All the way up until the release of AC, the word had been that it would be a action packed dogfighting sim with a flight model that was similar to star wars style space battles. What they currently have shown is not even close to what was promised and the Dev comment you linked troubles me even further. Releasing something just to get the ball rolling gives me the feeling that they just tossed AC out so people would quit wondering what was taking so long.

In any case, if they ever get back to what they promised, vis a vis the flight model, then I'll buy back in later. But it will most certainly be once I am 100% positive that they aren't still screwing up.

34. removed Jun 8, 2014, 05:29 Timmeh

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 10, 2014, 07:16.

33. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 05:19 Iurand

Frijoles wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 13:00:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 11:58:
Moving and aiming takes some getting used to. It could be more responsive.

I couldn't fly worth shit. Broke out the joystick that I haven't touched in five years (surprised it still works), but every time I try to aim, I overshoot the target. Switched to mouse/keyboard and it was worse. The game needs a "I see you can't fly" option. Just didn't feel good. I did enjoy the graphics though.

Try Xbox controller.

Harrowing wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 05:09:
AC most certainly does not play like a realistic simulation.
It feels much more arcadey to qualify for a simulation.

Dev comment

After flying my hornet in AC, I asked for a refund of my kickstarter. The flight model is not what they promised, you hit the spacebar and basically can just turret in space. It was supposed to be a ww2/star wars style dogfight flight model, but it's the complete opposite.

This video is from October, Kickstarter ended in November.

Maybe you should try Eterium instead? Or Starlight Inception? Wings of St. Nazaire?

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2014, 05:40.

32. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 05:09 Harrowing

ElectricTurtle wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 00:38:

It's Newtonian physics. I'm so sorry that a realistic simulation disappoints you.

AC most certainly does not play like a realistic simulation.
It feels much more arcadey to qualify for a simulation.

31. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 02:22 Redmask

Blue should merge all of the discussions about this game into some kind of omega thread, it would be 10,000 posts and impossible to make sense of but it would be funny.  

30. Re: Into the Black Jun 8, 2014, 01:17 NegaDeath

BadIronTree wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 00:56:
More Money INCOMINGGG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO7RxsZpcKc

Built Ford tough. Space Ford I mean.

And did my ears detect Robert Patrick?

29. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 00:56 BadIronTree

More Money INCOMINGGG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO7RxsZpcKc

28. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 00:38 ElectricTurtle

It's Newtonian physics. I'm so sorry that a realistic simulation disappoints you. There's no atmosphere in space and you're not going to lose lift by stopping. Bloo bloo.

27. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 00:27 Optional Nickname!

Everything about the controls is odd, and I hope you reconsider: why forfeit your lifetime insurance if you have it!

After discovering CTRL+F and other strange flight impacting settings SC actually became flyable in a hornet. Sortof... I had to play Wing Commander III immediately to see how it should work.

I have yet to figure out how to fire zee missiles or even arm them or indepentently change view and heading and vector. All this in a hornet as well.

Every key/axis needs to be bindable to any action and all flight modes made available, which it will eventually end up being at patch so and so.

26. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 21:35 ItBurn

Flatline wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 21:29:

I rather regret hearing that. At least Freespace 2 is open source now and has been upgraded pretty well.

I don't know what exactly is the complaint here. Yes you can stop in space and turn around. Isn't that expected? That will also get you killed really fast.

25. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 21:29 Flatline

I rather regret hearing that. At least Freespace 2 is open source now and has been upgraded pretty well.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo