Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers

Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson put Jeannie down long enough to post the first Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller. Here's word:

We know our fans have wanted PC compatibility, and we know they wanted to be able to use the Xbox One controller with the same games and applications they have been playing with using the Xbox 360 controller. We can’t wait for them to play their favorite PC games with what we consider the best controller ever made and we’re excited for fans to experience the improved D-pad, redesigned battery compartment, new comfortable design and offset analog sticks. The new PC drivers will enable the Xbox One controller to be used with any game that featured gamepad support for the Xbox 360 controller. Simply download the drivers, connect your Xbox One controller to your computer through a micro USB cable and you’ll be gaming in no time.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 17:23 Fantaz

Orogogus wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 17:18:
nin wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 17:11:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 17:08:
You need the PC wireless receiver (link) for the pad to function wirelessly.

Not relevant to you, but note that the Play and Charge kit won't let it function as a wired pad on the PC the way it does on an actual 360.

But that doesn't work with the xbone controller, does it? I assumed not...

My bad, sorry. The price threw me off.

yeah, it's down to $37.50 now from $74.99 normally. they have it at Target in Canada this week starting today for those wondering.

hopefully they come out with a usb wireless receiver for it or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 17:18 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 17:11:

Not relevant to you, but note that the Play and Charge kit won't let it function as a wired pad on the PC the way it does on an actual 360.

My bad, sorry. The price threw me off.

32. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 17:11 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 17:08 Orogogus

30. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 17:05 Fantaz

I just picked up an Xbox One Controller with Play and Charge kit for $37 today now since it's a good deal at half-price. but now I hear that you can only use the controller on the PC if it's plugged in as a wired controller? I think I might return it if I can't use this wirelessly...  

29. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 16:36 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 14:21:
PHJF wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:36:
Been using DualShock 4 for months. With wireless.

Does XB1 pad really have so little appreciation that nobody has it working on PC?

It uses proprietary encryption on top of Wifi-Direct so no one can get it working without an adapter, likely one they will sell for $50+.

Also the bumpers on the Xbox One controller suck.

I've only used it for a few minutes, at launch, so I don't recall, but I remember looking at the bumpers and thinking they weren't quite right. I can hit the 360 ones without moving my fingers. That was one of the huge benefits of it.

I am sure I still prefer it to the PS4 controller, but that's such a disappointment to hear.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 14:21 Verno

Does XB1 pad really have so little appreciation that nobody has it working on PC?

It uses proprietary encryption on top of Wifi-Direct so no one can get it working without an adapter, likely one they will sell for $50+.

Also the bumpers on the Xbox One controller suck.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

27. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 09:23 LanikTnt

Fantaz wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 21:00:
right now Xbox One controllers are too expensive but when they get cheaper I'd get one just for PC. I'd say better for FPS games than a PS4 controller, and more precise. mouse and keyboard is ultimately the best, but not while reclining on the couch.

Are you saying you use an console controller on a PC for FPS games? That's interesting. I play FPS's only on PC for the mouse alone and its been that way since Quake.

26. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 08:57 SpectralMeat

right now Xbox One controllers are too expensive but when they get cheaper I'd get one just for PC. I'd say better for FPS games than a PS4 controller, and more precise. mouse and keyboard is ultimately the best, but not while reclining on the couch.
Oh for sure they have their use for certain games, but I am not sure if the xbone controllers get cheaper I'd get one or just get another 360 controller when the one I use dies.
I am not using a controller that often and for me personally the bone controller doesn't offer as much benefit to justify the price difference.
I also have a 360 I play games with my kids on and having extra 360 controller always comes handy when playing coop games.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 07:23 jacobvandy

I want to upgrade to an Xbone controller just to be rid of that god fucking awful 360 "D-pad." It's not even a D-pad, it's a really shitty hat switch... It's a nightmare trying to use it with any kind of accuracy in a game where it's needed to navigate something in all four directions, like the menus in Dark Souls 2.  

24. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 05:12 Mordecai Walfish

but one thing the PS4 controller can do that the other one can't is be able to use the touchpad in Windows as a mouse. also the gyroscope works so you can program it to do stuff, and even adjust the light on the controller or turn it off completely.

The PS4 controller is friggin sweet when used in a media center setup (I use one for XBMC). When I get a WiiU I'm hoping for similar functionality, hopefully someone has made an effort for compatibility with that tablet-controller.. I could see that being an awesome media center controller.

23. Re: Into the Black Jun 6, 2014, 01:17 NegaDeath

Not falling for it again Microsoft. Had two 360 controllers for the PC, one wired and one wireless. Both developed faulty L buttons (try playing dark souls with a random block!) and the wireless kept cutting out.

Switched to an old PS3 controller that still works perfectly and hasn't dropped the bluetooth signal yet. Might give the PS4 controller a try after reading some of the comments here. Like the idea of having a trackpad built in.

22. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 6, 2014, 00:09 Jivaro

Slick wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 21:18:

i know right? i love how the touchpad defaults to a laptop-style trackpad. use it on my living room entertainment center, and it's one-stop shop.

I hadn't even thought of doing that (the touchpad/trackpad)...I am going to try that out. Thanks!

21. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 23:35 Warskull

Flo wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:14:
But no word on a wireless option, so at the moment, useless for me.

A Wii U Pro controller can be rigged up to work with a PC wirelessly. You can use the Mayflash adapter or with a little effort connect it to your computer's bluetooth connection using the program out there (just search Wii U Pro PC.)

20. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 23:11 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 19:05:
What's my motivation to go get once of these for my PC when I have 3 360 controllers already that I'm perfectly happy with?

I'd replace it with an XB1 controller if they last longer. I swear I wear out a controller every other game I buy that I actually use one with, or something stops working on it, or whatever. I'm guessing my results aren't typical, but the failure rate on the 360 controllers I've used on my PC has been insane.

19. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 21:23 DangerDog

Does the controller go to sleep when you don't use it for a little while? I would assume that it would stay powered up because it's connected to usb... but maybe not?  

18. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 21:18 Slick

i know right? i love how the touchpad defaults to a laptop-style trackpad. use it on my living room entertainment center, and it's one-stop shop.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

17. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 21:18 Cutter

I use my old tree siddy controller with a generic wireless adapter I got from Hong Kong and it works fine. In fact I just finished Lego Marvel with it last night. If someone wants to send me an Xbone controller I'll let you know if it works with the adapter.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 21:00 Fantaz

Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:36:
Is the XBone controller better than the 360 controller? The latter is still being used - it's a great gamepad. Too bad MS doesn't know how to avoid the analog stick centering issue though. I've bought a 360 pad 3 times because of it.

the Xbox One controller is pretty decent. definitely an improvement over the original Xbox 360 one.

but one thing the PS4 controller can do that the other one can't is be able to use the touchpad in Windows as a mouse. also the gyroscope works so you can program it to do stuff, and even adjust the light on the controller or turn it off completely.

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 20:37:
What's my motivation to go get once of these for my PC when I have 3 360 controllers already that I'm perfectly happy with?
Exactly

15. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 20:37 SpectralMeat

Exactly

Steam: SpectralMeat

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo