Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Dangerous Trading Video

A new gameplay video posted by PC Gamer shows off how trading works in Elite Dangerous, Frontiers upcoming space combat remake that recently entered premium beta testing. They eight-minute video shows "how it all works, from docking, to hyperspace, to interdiction."

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 7, 2014, 02:07 Flatline

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 13:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 08:18:
Tim here sums it up pretty well for me.
I've got nothing invested in SC but really this guy going on about not being able to bind his keys in what is clearly an early version of the game is just painfully pedantic

It's an unfinished game..

An alpha is supposed to be a time for feedback and for input so that the game can be refined.

How the fuck are you supposed to give feedback when you can't control the game? I mean, "can you make the game playable?" should be one of those bits of feedback that boarders on axiomatic.

If mappable controls for something like a space sim with eleventy billion commands aren't in your initial release/alpha then it needs to be in one of the very first patches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 14:41 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 14:39:
Hey Cutter

re other space stations from latest newsletter

Holy fuck...<drool>

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

47. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 14:39 SpectralMeat

Hey Cutter

re other space stations from latest newsletter

Steam: SpectralMeat

46. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 14:01 SpectralMeat

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 13:52:
I've got nothing invested in SC but really this guy going on about not being able to bind his keys in what is clearly an early version of the game is just painfully pedantic

He is also a game developer and just for the record you could bind your keys and customize your controls in the very first Alpha version of Elite that was available for backers.
I think his comments regarding the annoyances of the SC Alpha were spot on though. Releasing a dog fighting module with pre defined key set and no option to rebind them is like releasing a car racing demo with keyboard and mouse support only.
The sound effects are also night and day compared to Elite and the radar in SC is really pretty much useless with that big freaking arrow pointing at the nearest enemy ship.
So overall I agree with his assessment, hopefully Chris Roberts and crew will take the player feedback and make changes accordingly, and turn SC into an epic game.

45. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 13:52 Dmitri_M

44. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 12:47 SpectralMeat

Actually for the most part you stand a better chance if you fight it out than if you ran away.
Running away requires a skills to maneuver out the one chasing you while switching power distribution between systems to keep your shield powered and then pump juice to the engines so you can get up to speed for the hyper jump.

If you stay and fight the worst that can happen is you loose your ship which you get back for free anyways. Unless you are flying a bigger expensive ship with lots of cargo there is not much to loose but lots to gain by practicing the dogfight.
Sometimes of course you have to make a run for it if you are outnumbered and what not but try and fight it out, you will be a better pilot by learning the skills to dog fight.

Even if you play single player when the final game comes out the npc pirates can pull you out of super cruise to scan your cargo. If you carry something expensive they will fire at you, and if you don't have the skills to fight hem off you'll be sitting duck.

43. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 12:03 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 11:28:
Sounds good nin
Most important thing to remember is not to get frustrated. It will take some time to master the controls. It is not an easy game, but that is what makes it so rewarding.
If you go into MP and for some reason you end up loosing everything and have no ship (it can happen) just hit "clear save" and you will get your starter ship and 1000 credit, and off you go again.

There are going to be account wipes that resets everyone to the starter position anyways so don't get too invested in your ship and equipment.

Have fun!

Based on what I've read from you and others, I think my first order of businesses is learning how apply the most power to engines to run like hell.

42. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 11:28 SpectralMeat

Sounds good nin
Most important thing to remember is not to get frustrated. It will take some time to master the controls. It is not an easy game, but that is what makes it so rewarding.
If you go into MP and for some reason you end up loosing everything and have no ship (it can happen) just hit "clear save" and you will get your starter ship and 1000 credit, and off you go again.

There are going to be account wipes that resets everyone to the starter position anyways so don't get too invested in your ship and equipment.

Have fun!

41. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 09:09 nin

I have a wireless keyboard that I use as well. So for something like Freespace2, I'd would use a regular (maybe 8-12 button or so) joystick, but then reach over to the keyboard to adjust power to engines, shields, etc...

I'm sure it won't be as optimal an experience as a full stick/throttle setup, but I'm trying to avoid going down the road of upgrading half my computer in the process, if I can avoid it. Hell, your trackIR videos were veeeeery hard to ignore...

40. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 09:02 SpectralMeat

Yep for sure give the controller a try first. The amount of buttons you need to efficiently control your ship in a dogfight I am not sure you will be able to do all that with a 360 controller, but like I said try it first and you'll know for sure after an hour or so gameplay if you need a proper HOTAS or the 360 pad will be fine.
Elite has a shit ton of ship controls already and they are adding more stuff as the beta progresses.
If the game is installed just jump into the controls screen to see what I mean.

You can assign different controls to use during docking from the controls used during dogfighting, primary weapons, secondary weapons, landing gears, silent running modes, power distributions between systems etc etc. You'll see.

39. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 08:55 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 08:45:
nin wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 08:42:
I figured that was the deal, but you don't have to request it again with every reset, right?
No the name request is a one time only thing.
Yes the money and stats will be reset with each beta phase I believe.
Oh and if you are fed up with your mouse+keyboard controls or your xbox360 controller check this out a very highly recommended HOTAS for very little money. This thread where people discussing all the config options.

I was actually looking at that exact model last night, based on price...

I'll start with the 360 controller and see how it goes...I sometimes lay down and game, hence why I'd rather hold something...

38. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 08:45 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 08:42:
I figured that was the deal, but you don't have to request it again with every reset, right?
No the name request is a one time only thing.
Yes the money and stats will be reset with each beta phase I believe.
Oh and if you are fed up with your mouse+keyboard controls or your xbox360 controller check this out a very highly recommended HOTAS for very little money. This thread where people discussing all the config options.

37. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 08:42 nin

When you login to MP your name will not appear in game you will be called backer #xxxx (x-a number )
You have to login to that website I linked and request your commander name what you will be called in game.

I don't mind money being reset, I'm fine with that, and frankly expected it in a beta environment.

Thanks again! Getting excited to check it out this weekend...

36. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 08:18 SpectralMeat

As far as comparison between SC and Elite, well after about 40 minutes of trial and error trying to login last night I finally managed to get in and play the dogfight for a bit and I am not impressed at all.
Looks pretty and the animations are top notch but otherwise I wasn't having fun.

Preset config, no support for HOTAS, no TrackIR support, just a few things that bothered me.
I am sure it will get better with time but SC has a long way to go, and it looks like they are more concerned with how pretty the game looks than how fun it is to play it. Physics, controls those sort of things.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2014, 08:26.

35. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 08:12 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 07:53:
I'm not sure I totally understand that last sentence (I'm sure it'll make sense later, perhaps after I fully wake up), but I did go to the Command Name tab (assuming that's the right one) and put on in...Thanks!

Kicking off the install now, before work...

When you login to MP your name will not appear in game you will be called backer #xxxx (x-a number )
You have to login to that website I linked and request your commander name what you will be called in game.
They check every single commander name requests manually and assign it to your account so when you login the next time (into multiplayer) you will have your requested commander name as opposed to your backer plate number.
The process will take a few days because like I said they check every single name to make sure nobody registers commander Chris Roberts or something like that

Here is the copy paste info from the forum:
Hi everyone,

As most of you probably know, at the beginning of this week we opened up the facility for all alpha and premium beta players to finally change their commander names, through https://support.orerve.net/. Well today we attempted a batch update of names for the first time, and it turns out a nasty Trumble may have got stuck in the works...

The result of this is that any name requests that have been made through orerve.net this week have sadly been lost, and will need to be resubmitted. We're extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused by this, and will busy ourselves with approving all of your commander names in preparation for the beta!

The process for submitting your commander name is the same as before:

1. Login at: https://support.orerve.net/
2. Navigate to the ‘COMMANDER PROFILE’ tab
3. Enter your desired new commander name in the ‘Request a New Name’ field and press the ‘Request Name Change’ button.
4. If this is approved it will update the commander name at the top of the page.
5. If it is automatically denied a red message will appear above the field, stating the reason for the rejection.
6. If it is manually denied the player will receive an email telling them that their name has been rejected, once the batch update is complete.

If you have any questions feel free to pitch them below, and sorry again!
Link to the forum post

Hopefully this makes a little more sense

34. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 08:09 Dmitri_M

This is looking great.

Ultimately the increased focus will probably make it a better game than SC. All that money is just going to go on graphics. That said I'm excited for the release of both. I'm happy to wait till they're final before trying either though.

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 22:58:
Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 16:04:
Time is money. If you're wasting space and time in the hamger that's money they're not making. I was the exact same in all my years serving/bartending. Soon as I thought you were done I was trying my utmost to get you out of my section so I could flip the table and make more money. I never suggested apps, and I did my best to dissuade anyone from ever having coffee and/or dessert, 'Yeah, our coffee is pretty terrible and the dessert isn't any great shakes either. Lucky for you there's a cafe down the street that does amazing coffee and dessert!' People hanging out for another hour sipping coffee and sharing a piece of cake doesn't make me money. Getting new asses in the seats with some mains, a few bottles of wine does. If it was my space station I'd run it the same way. Get in, do your bidness then GTFO ASAP!

Well I got to give it to ya, you're the same person in real-life as you are here! LoL

What did you think of people bringing their own wine and uncorking?
cutter

33. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 07:53 nin

I'm not sure I totally understand that last sentence (I'm sure it'll make sense later, perhaps after I fully wake up), but I did go to the Command Name tab (assuming that's the right one) and put on in...Thanks!

Kicking off the install now, before work...

32. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 06:18 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 22:13:
OK, SM, money dropped. Won't get to try it until at least tomorrow night, but I can kick off the DL in the meantime.

I'm thinking the last space game I played was Freelancer...been far too long.

Awesome!
You won't regret it.
Start out with the single player scenarios first, they will ease you into the game and combat.
If you see me online and have any questions feel free to shoot me a msg on steam.
I've been chatting it up with Trevellian also he is in the beta as well.
Check out the official forum, people are really helpful there. Most of them are in their 40s-50s laid back and ready to help you out. There are a lot interesting discussions going on about new features people are requesting to be in the game as well as controller setups and issues with different joysticks etc.
Also go here: https://support.orerve.net/http/user/loginform
login to your account and request your user name, whatever you want to use in game.
Do this before you play the MP because when they reset your user name in game your in game account will also reset so if you've earned money you will loose it.

31. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 6, 2014, 04:35 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 22:13:
OK, SM, money dropped. Won't get to try it until at least tomorrow night, but I can kick off the DL in the meantime.

I'm thinking the last space game I played was Freelancer...been far too long.

Er, really? You just dropped a buck-fifty?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 5, 2014, 22:58 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 16:04:
Time is money. If you're wasting space and time in the hamger that's money they're not making. I was the exact same in all my years serving/bartending. Soon as I thought you were done I was trying my utmost to get you out of my section so I could flip the table and make more money. I never suggested apps, and I did my best to dissuade anyone from ever having coffee and/or dessert, 'Yeah, our coffee is pretty terrible and the dessert isn't any great shakes either. Lucky for you there's a cafe down the street that does amazing coffee and dessert!' People hanging out for another hour sipping coffee and sharing a piece of cake doesn't make me money. Getting new asses in the seats with some mains, a few bottles of wine does. If it was my space station I'd run it the same way. Get in, do your bidness then GTFO ASAP!

Well I got to give it to ya, you're the same person in real-life as you are here! LoL

What did you think of people bringing their own wine and uncorking?

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo