Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month

BANDAI NAMCO Games announces plans for a trilogy of DLC for Dark Souls II starting next month. Here's word on the plan, which includes a season pass deal:

Leading video game publisher and developer BANDAI NAMCO Games America Inc. and FromSoftware today announced the impending arrival of three new DLC chapters to the critically acclaimed Dark Souls™ II for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via Steam. These three new DLC chapters known as The Lost Crowns trilogy will take Dark Souls II fans through entirely original areas to face a slew of unknown enemies, overcome diabolic challenges, and take-on fearsome bosses. Crown of the Sunken King, the first chapter in this DLC trilogy, will be available in the Americas on July, 22, 2014 followed by the DLC launches of Crown of the Old Iron King on August 26, 2014 and Crown of the Ivory King on September 24, 2014. A Season Pass program will also be offered for the entire The Lost Crowns trilogy via Steam for PC players in the Americas.

Crown of the Sunken King, the first chapter in the trilogy, sends players on a journey to reclaim the crowns that Drangleic’s King Vendrick once owned. Crown of the Sunken King features an entirely different world within the Dark Souls II universe, where stepped pyramids span a vast underground cavern. It is said that one of the ancient crowns lay buried deep within these dark caverns; but surely such a valued item cannot sit unguarded. Players that seek adversity and glory will be rewarded with a crown that holds the strength of lords from times long past.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 6, 2014, 03:24 mag

Warskull wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 20:11:
Alamar wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 12:15:
Warskull wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 08:44:
The best description I have seen equates doing pure melee in DS2 to playing without a shield in DS1.

Maybe it's me, or the changes in the game... I would have to play some more DS1 to find out, but I very rarely bring out the shield in DS2... I'm almost always using a power stance (dual wield) build (as opposed to a 2h build, which generally relies on larger, slower, weapons that I don't enjoy).

I also go pure melee almost everywhere... I've never used a herb (which replenishes castings of spells), and even with a ton of attunement/slots, there just isn't many spell uses available, so I 'save them', then end up not using them.

Even my sorcerer is dual wield Blue Flame (a sword that can be used to cast spells).

-Alamar

No you are right, the shield feels much less mandatory in Dark Souls 2. The fact that shields are weaker also helps. Most medium shields are 90% damage reduction. You have to get a tower shield if you want the 100% damage reduction.

Not having a range option on the other hand is downright painful at times. Hence why I compared doing DS2 as melee only to doing DS1 without a shield. DS1 was brutal without a shield.

MacDuff sells a couple of 100% phys def. kite shields once you get the dull ember, and the Drangleic shield after the Pursuer has 100% phys. def.

But yeah. Shields kinda suck in DS2. I even have better luck 2-hand parrying with my murakumo than I do with a medium shield.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 20:11 Warskull

The best description I have seen equates doing pure melee in DS2 to playing without a shield in DS1.

Maybe it's me, or the changes in the game... I would have to play some more DS1 to find out, but I very rarely bring out the shield in DS2... I'm almost always using a power stance (dual wield) build (as opposed to a 2h build, which generally relies on larger, slower, weapons that I don't enjoy).

I also go pure melee almost everywhere... I've never used a herb (which replenishes castings of spells), and even with a ton of attunement/slots, there just isn't many spell uses available, so I 'save them', then end up not using them.

Even my sorcerer is dual wield Blue Flame (a sword that can be used to cast spells).

-Alamar

No you are right, the shield feels much less mandatory in Dark Souls 2. The fact that shields are weaker also helps. Most medium shields are 90% damage reduction. You have to get a tower shield if you want the 100% damage reduction.

Not having a range option on the other hand is downright painful at times. Hence why I compared doing DS2 as melee only to doing DS1 without a shield. DS1 was brutal without a shield.

11. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 13:28 mag

-Alamar

My dual-caestus run is actually going better than my faith/sword/shield run did. Power-stance boxers kick some ass in this game!

10. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 12:15 Alamar

-Alamar

9. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 08:44 Warskull

mag wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 01:05:
Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:16:
So for those who got this, have you finished it yet? Was it good? Was there any sun praising?

I finished it, really liked it, really doubt I'll get as much play out of it as DS1. Glitches and bad port issues aside, I think DS1 is the better game.

Still, DS2 was worth the purchase and play. I'm at 80 hrs, and I'll probably get a fair number more. I'll probably buy the DLC, too. I just don't think it's going to be 400+ hrs like DS1 was.

It is worth noting that Dark Souls 2 improves upon Dark Souls 1 massively in some ways. Weapon scaling is significant now, a greater variety of weapons is useful, there are fewer "this is total bullshit" spots. It feels like a more fair challenge. The covenants are better designed.

However, at the same time is has some big steps back. Soul Memory is a detriment to the game everywhere except the early levels, They lean too heavily on the "big armored guy boss" so boss variety doesn't feel as good. The game is melee unfriendly and possibly a bit too forgiving to ranged casters. The best description I have seen equates doing pure melee in DS2 to playing without a shield in DS1.

Overall, I agree that Dark Souls 1 was the better game.

8. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 5, 2014, 01:05 mag

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:16:
So for those who got this, have you finished it yet? Was it good? Was there any sun praising?

I finished it, really liked it, really doubt I'll get as much play out of it as DS1. Glitches and bad port issues aside, I think DS1 is the better game.

Still, DS2 was worth the purchase and play. I'm at 80 hrs, and I'll probably get a fair number more. I'll probably buy the DLC, too. I just don't think it's going to be 400+ hrs like DS1 was.

7. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 23:55 Overon

No KB and Mouse is still pretty terrible.

But graphically there are good mods out there that make it prettier especially the gedosato from the guy who fixed the terrible resolution and frame rate issues with Dark Souls 1 on PC:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=gedosato

6. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 23:48 born2expire

Is this playable with KB + Mouse yet?  

5. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 23:29 Hanover

Dark Souls 2 is excellent and a worthy successor to DS1. Though I think I liked DS1 better, DS2 is quite brilliant in its own right. I think it's easier than DS1 since it's a no-brainer to summon help (for the boss fights or just to get through a level) and there are no really frustrating (or inspired) bosses like Ornstein and Smough but other aspects of it are excellent. Duel wielding is pretty cool and even gives you a unique stance if you use similar weapons. I respec'd into a sorcerer and was dual wielding two swords that also acted as a catalyst allowing me to swing at close enemies and light them up with spells at range. It was quite satisfying.

I liked the ability to respec if I screw up or just don't like where my character is headed, something I was unable to do in the first game and caused me hours of frustration and do overs. You can't respec over and over, but it's at least possible now. DS2's world isn't as amazing as DS1's interconnected style, but each area has its own feel that I really like.

I avoided multiplayer in DS1 as much as I could, but in DS2 I really got into the sunbros. It was easy to summon and be summoned to help others. Awesome! Plus if you are hollow and you help someone kill a boss, you turn human again. Negating the need to use an item that was always in short supply.

I put in about 100 hours on my PS3 and another 60 on the PC version before moving on to other games, but I plan to jump on the DLC when it hits. The PC version is much much better than the PS3 in both resolution and framerate and is really the only way to play. I used an Xbox controller by the way.

4. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 23:01 Task

now with more guns dlc  

3. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 22:36 ochentay4

Alamar wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:43:
I vary rarely pick up DLC... But this'll likely be my first season pass purchase...

Steam says 183h so far, and I'm still finding new(ish) ways to enjoy it ; )

I'm kind of addicted to leveling, and trying out new builds (from the start), so I've barely put any time into NG+.

-Alamar
Why dont just use a Soul Vessel and save time?

2. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 21:43 Alamar

I vary rarely pick up DLC... But this'll likely be my first season pass purchase...

Steam says 183h so far, and I'm still finding new(ish) ways to enjoy it ; )

I'm kind of addicted to leveling, and trying out new builds (from the start), so I've barely put any time into NG+.

-Alamar

1. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Trilogy Starts Next Month Jun 4, 2014, 21:16 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo