Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I experienced something odd last night for the first time ever. I woke up from a dream, only to later wake up again, as I was dreaming I was having a dream. There's nothing to make this impossible, but I previously had assumed this was something that only happens in the movies. I should do a quick check to see if I can fly... maybe it'll turn out that I'm Neo.

Neo Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Last Legacy: Null Space.
Super Mario Racing 3.
Upgradaroids.
Link: Gift Guide: Life-Sized Vigo the Carpathian Poster.
Stories: George RR Martin's editor hints at eighth Game of Thrones book.
Video: Car fleeing from police goes through park, nearly hits children.
Maureen Dowd Tries Edible Marijuana And Has A Really, Really Bad Trip.
Science: Autistic boys exposed to higher levels of hormones in womb, study finds.
Introvert or extrovert? Most of us are ambiverts.
Images: The Communist Party of Serbia uses TF2 for their propaganda posters. Not kidding at all.
Media: Reactions to The Viper vs. The Mountain at The Burlington Bar.
Double amputee cat does flying handstand down stairs.
Follow-up: 'Mountain' from 'Game of Thrones' just as strong in real life as he is on the show. Thanks Batman.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2014, 01:10 Ant

It reminds me of Married With Children's Al Bundy's dream that kept repeating as he woke up.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 22:48 xXBatmanXx

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 22:30:
1badmf wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 18:56:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 14:48:
Reminds me of a dream... er nightmare I had as a kid. Was dreaming that a witch like creature was killing my family members. When it was about to be my turn I woke up in my room. As I'm looking around thinking that was a scary dream the witch appeared over my bed and buried an ax in my head. I spent the rest of the night in a corner of my room with my BB gun.

The Dowd story sounds like BS to me. The description seems more like a bad acid trip then something one would experience on pot.

wait so did you wake up again after the axe to the noggin? or were you really awake and she just vanished or something? funny, picturing a young yosemite sam with his patchy kid beard hyperventilating in the corner with his dual bb guns heh.

i've had dreams like that, where i'm half awake but still dreaming and it's sorta overlaid on my reality. sometimes i get stuck in that state and even though i'm fully aware i can't force myself to wake up.

The first time I "woke up" I was still dreaming but it was perfect, I thought I was awake. Second time I really woke up just as the ax was about to split my skull.

meds are good.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 22:30 Yosemite Sam

1badmf wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 18:56:
Reminds me of a dream... er nightmare I had as a kid. Was dreaming that a witch like creature was killing my family members. When it was about to be my turn I woke up in my room. As I'm looking around thinking that was a scary dream the witch appeared over my bed and buried an ax in my head. I spent the rest of the night in a corner of my room with my BB gun.

The Dowd story sounds like BS to me. The description seems more like a bad acid trip then something one would experience on pot.

wait so did you wake up again after the axe to the noggin? or were you really awake and she just vanished or something? funny, picturing a young yosemite sam with his patchy kid beard hyperventilating in the corner with his dual bb guns heh.

i've had dreams like that, where i'm half awake but still dreaming and it's sorta overlaid on my reality. sometimes i get stuck in that state and even though i'm fully aware i can't force myself to wake up.

The first time I "woke up" I was still dreaming but it was perfect, I thought I was awake. Second time I really woke up just as the ax was about to split my skull.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 18:56 1badmf

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 16:30 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:18:
Not a fan of Slate, but found this article about education and cost per child interesting....

Shit man, give me 26k a year per child, I will educate 4 children in my home, and I bet they score better than the average.....M-F, 8am-3pm, hell, I'll even car pool them from their home to my house to teach them. They will be educated, intelligent, in shape, knowledgeable about the world, etc etc etc.

I will even do it for the US average of 11k per student. Give me.....8 kids, all the same age. Be a fun experiment.

Pretty damn good argument for a voucher program....

/discuss....

Yeah. You'll educate them all right...with the back of your hand! 'You sassin' me, boy?!' Whack! Bat Haha!

Seriously though. Imagine if teachers got paid per kid. They'd make a fortune, so that's actually really effing cheap. Even at $7 per hour that's $56 per kid per day. So an average of 30 kids in a class means the teacher should be getting paid $1,680 a day or about $450,000 per year. The average teacher makes about 50k a year. So that's quite a bargain.

And speaking of money, hot off the presses....

Seattle Raises Minimum Wage to $15

Good on them. And sadly that's still not even a living wage - which is $18 per hour (averaged).

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 15:53 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 10:08:
That editor's hint is more like wishful thinking on her part. Martin should finish the series in two more books. Anything else and the series gets too watered down. Many have mentioned him pulling a Jordan on us, and while that is a possibility Jordan's writing (and his series) took a huge fucking nosedive after book 3. This has not happened to Martin, yet. (Pleae note i dont equate PLOT to QUALITY)

I'll just leave this GRRM joke right here.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 15:17:
3rd derail of the day:

Sinper v2 is free on Steam for 24 hours.

WHOA! Thanks Bats!

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 15:27 jdreyer

Yeah, I read comments on another blog that said the same thing. They doubt she ever even left her Manhattan apartment.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 15:17 xXBatmanXx

3rd derail of the day:

Sinper v2 is free on Steam for 24 hours.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 14:53 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 14:25:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 14:02:
Maureen Dowd is an idiot. Play with weapons grade pot and you'll get burned. What she did was the equivalent of downing a pint of grain alcohol on an empty stomach, getting smashed and throwing up, and then proclaiming alcohol is evil and should be banned.
I agree she was stupid. Without any experience she clearly should have been asking for guidance and then getting a second opinion on that. However, could someone explain the thought process behind putting 16 average doses of marijuana in a single candy bar?

From the article:
But that suggested serving size isn't mentioned on the label.
People do need to know what they're getting. Even if they make bad choices with what they get, there should at least be some indication of the amount of intoxication someone can expect.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 14:48 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 14:25 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 14:02:
Maureen Dowd is an idiot. Play with weapons grade pot and you'll get burned. What she did was the equivalent of downing a pint of grain alcohol on an empty stomach, getting smashed and throwing up, and then proclaiming alcohol is evil and should be banned.
I agree she was stupid. Without any experience she clearly should have been asking for guidance and then getting a second opinion on that. However, could someone explain the thought process behind putting 16 average doses of marijuana in a single candy bar?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 14:16 Frags4Fun

So strange that you should bring this up, Blue. Great timing because the same thing happened to me last week and when I finally woke up, I was a bit weirded out.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 14:02 jdreyer

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 13:57 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:43:
Not a fan of Slate, but found this article about education and cost per child interesting....

Shit man, give me 26k a year per child, I will educate 4 children in my home, and I bet they score better than the average.....M-F, 8am-3pm, hell, I'll even car pool them from their home to my house to teach them. They will be educated, intelligent, in shape, knowledgeable about the world, etc etc etc.

I will even do it for the US average of 11k per student. Give me.....8 kids, all the same age. Be a fun experiment.

/discuss....

It would be nice to know exactly how that number is calculated. Is it just based on the cost of running a school, or is it the overall cost from federal level bureaucrats all the way to the hair nets for lunch ladies? Some of the federal and state level bureaucracy cost could also encompass private schools as they do need have some level of government regulation.

Still 26k a year is a lot, I'm sure there's a lot of wasteful spending and unnecessary cogs in the machine that inflate that cost. It seems to be a systemic problem not just with schools but pretty much everything, government run or not.

1. It's Newark, NJ, so there's going to be graft and corruption. The article says they have 1 administrator for every six students, so you know something fishy is going on. But it's a classic clickbait title, trying to infer the worst example is somehow the national average by not providing context.

2. In Bats' state of MN, the cost per child is around $10,600, which is around the national average. And while you could think, "Yeah, 10 students = 110K, I could work for that," there are a lot of costs involved in schooling: buildings, land, electricity, maintenance, training, laws and regulations that must be adhered to, etc. and all that costs money.

3. There's a movement afoot to privatize schooling using for-profit companies. In both AZ and FL, two states that have some of the highest rates of voucher schools, both have federal investigations on going into major voucher system abuse by these private companies. These companies spend millions lobbying politicians to get public funds, then they skim off the top and skimp on the students. There's actually less accountability and oversight than for public schools, since these companies fall outside the purview of the DoE and are only accountable to shareholders. Unlike private schools (all of which around here charge $15-20K per year), people in these areas often only have the choice of the for-profit school. Alternatives can often be too far away to attend.

Voucher schools could work (I'm not opposed out of hand, and there seemed to be good results in Milwaukee), but would have to be highly regulated, and right now it's not in most places. Similar to healthcare, where you don't really have a choice of whether or not you get it, and don't have many options, school is something every child must attend by law, so making sure those options are high quality is important. There are a lot of problems with public schools, but I'd hate to see that system replaced by a worse one.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 13:23 Mr. Tact

Hmm, maybe that explains why I'm ambivalent towards so many things...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 13:18 Cutter

Ambivert? I like that word. I'm going to drop that in conversation several times this week. Probably because I'm an ambivert.

And yikes, the Mountain is 7 foot and 420lbs? Damn! He probably didn't kill the children so much as he ate them.

And I don't ever recall dreaming about waking up or flying I generally do have very vivid dreams.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 11:58 Creston

I'd forgotten exactly what happened between the mountain and the red viper, so I looked it up. yeah that's pretty graphic.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 11:57 xXBatmanXx

heh, through the worm hole with morgan freeman is discussing this right now blue....  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 11:43 Pigeon

/discuss....

It would be nice to know exactly how that number is calculated. Is it just based on the cost of running a school, or is it the overall cost from federal level bureaucrats all the way to the hair nets for lunch ladies? Some of the federal and state level bureaucracy cost could also encompass private schools as they do need have some level of government regulation.

Still 26k a year is a lot, I'm sure there's a lot of wasteful spending and unnecessary cogs in the machine that inflate that cost. It seems to be a systemic problem not just with schools but pretty much everything, government run or not.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo