Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record

Ubisoft follows up on news that Watch Dogs has established a one-day company sales record with news that the open-world hacking game has sold-through more than four million copies in its first week. They say this is not only a Ubisoft record, but it also makes Watch Dogs the bestselling new IP in history based on NPD and GFK data and internal estimates as of June 3, 2014. "With such strong sales momentum and positive feedback from gamers, Watch Dogs has positioned itself as the must-have game of the moment," said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Ubisoft. "We’re really proud of this achievement, and are confident that the Watch Dogs brand has a promising future."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 04:27 Mashiki Amiketo

Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 03:44:

Freaking hilarious. The game actually looked like fun...
It is quite fun, my first time through I'm going for the "good guy" second play-through people will die everywhere.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 4, 2014, 03:44 Quinn

Saw a 9GAG video of Aiden executing people who had the weirdest of professions, beliefs or way of life.

He shot a scientologist; a woman who still lived in parents' basement; an anti-violence activist; a muslim; etc.

Freaking hilarious. The game actually looked like fun...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

32. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 19:55 Steele Johnson

This is the peak for current gen consoles! Haha!  

31. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 19:45 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 19:30:
Best overheard conversation in the game...

Homeless man: "I am just like our president....hoping for some change"

My favorite was a hacked phone conversation I heard.

Some back and forth between a man and a woman about him not being ready, and her forcing him to go, and he doesn't want to go that ends with her her saying: "I know you don't want to, but Psalms 16:17 say I will smack the shit outta you you don't show up for church."

Cracked me up.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 19:30 xXBatmanXx

Best overheard conversation in the game...

Homeless man: "I am just like our president....hoping for some change"

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

29. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 18:03 NegaDeath

The game has a good foundation it just needs another development pass to iron things out. It reminds me of the reception to Assassins Creed 1. If we're lucky Watchdogs 2 will be as much of an improvement as AC2 was.  

28. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 17:37 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:53:
nin wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:52:
Don't be a Cutter, Bats!

heheheh I just call BS when I see it. If they think they did so well, then release the numbers. I am playing it, and enjoying it, I just don't think it is "ROAR BEST SELLING GAME EVAR!!!!!!!!ONEONEONEONE!"

Exactly. That's why Bats and me are pals. We calls em the ways we sees em. Life is too short for bullshit.

Wiseguy

And positive feedback? Everything I've seen around here and other places seems to indicate that while it's a decent game it's no great shakes. Kind of a low-rent GTA and you can easily wait for a good discount on it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 17:30 The Half Elf

BAD BATZ!

I too have been doing all the side stuff, and thankfully it's not as bad as previous Ubisoft games (especially the AC series).

But I've seen a few bugs and AI glitches.
Had a problem where camera's on building I was just using disappear, had the game cheat outright in chess (full chess not the puzzle version).

And now I'm starting all the story missions.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2014, 17:40.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 17:13 NKD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 17:02:
Towyn wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:58:
Dirwulf wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:07:

The story in the game so far is pretty boring. I've been playing for a week straight, but I did have to start over on day 2 because of the save game bug. I haven't even finished Act 2 yet, because I've been doing all the side missions and collectibles. I have been having fun, but I'm to the point that I kind of just want to do the missions and get the story over with already.

The story feels a bit lackluster and predictable... the same "plot twists" that you see from a mile away, the same rather unsatisfying ending... The story is definitely something I wish they would have invested more effort in, a pity, cause the game is a lot of fun.

I finally did a couple missions last night. After I did the "back seat driver" mission, it opened up all of the upgrades, and I am maxed and I haven't even started the game. ahahhahaha I guess all of my time doing side stuff was helpful! I have almost $1M.....not sure why money is such a focus.....after buying all guns (about 200k+) all you need to do is buy ammo...

/raptr says I have 30 hours in the game

At one point about mid way through the story, maybe a bit before, you unlock the ability to buy all those one-time hack things from a vendor. They can drain your funds pretty quickly if you use them a lot. Other than that, not much to buy, yeah.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

25. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 17:02 xXBatmanXx

Towyn wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:58:

The story in the game so far is pretty boring. I've been playing for a week straight, but I did have to start over on day 2 because of the save game bug. I haven't even finished Act 2 yet, because I've been doing all the side missions and collectibles. I have been having fun, but I'm to the point that I kind of just want to do the missions and get the story over with already.

The story feels a bit lackluster and predictable... the same "plot twists" that you see from a mile away, the same rather unsatisfying ending... The story is definitely something I wish they would have invested more effort in, a pity, cause the game is a lot of fun.

I finally did a couple missions last night. After I did the "back seat driver" mission, it opened up all of the upgrades, and I am maxed and I haven't even started the game. ahahhahaha I guess all of my time doing side stuff was helpful! I have almost $1M.....not sure why money is such a focus.....after buying all guns (about 200k+) all you need to do is buy ammo...

/raptr says I have 30 hours in the game

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2014, 17:07.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:58 Towyn

23. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:57 Towyn

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:46:
Yea no, currently the performance is botched and even the best of the best graphics cards still can't run it properly. So no, you're 4 year old gaming PC ain't running it at a playable framerate on highest details.

Well I'm sorry, but it does. Two years ago I got a warranty replacement for my videocard, that's the only thing that ever changed, and even GeForce Experience suggests to run it at Ultra settings. Which does make it look like https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ms9g43d6uv67gb/2014-05-29_00002.jpg

But I suppose you know my PC better than I know my own PC... So sorry about that =P

22. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:57 Agent.X7

Quinn wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:33:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:34:
. They say this is not only a Ubisoft record, but it also makes Watch Dogs the bestselling new IP in history based on NPD and GFK data and internal estimates as of June 3, 2014.

BS

Peak players on Steam is only 25k. Well below SEVERAL games. There is no way this set any records other than their own.

Sorry but I can't stop wondering with every single comment you write: are you somewhere between 12 and 15? Ffs man, there's more places out there than Steam. Use your bloody ooze!

Yup, he's a 12 year old police ma..er, boy. They made a movie about him. Hoogie Dowser, the wonder-boy cop!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:53 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:52:
Don't be a Cutter, Bats!

heheheh I just call BS when I see it. If they think they did so well, then release the numbers. I am playing it, and enjoying it, I just don't think it is "ROAR BEST SELLING GAME EVAR!!!!!!!!ONEONEONEONE!"

20. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:52 nin

Don't be a Cutter, Bats!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:50 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:39:
Peak players on Steam is only 25k. Well below SEVERAL games. There is no way this set any records other than their own.

Uh, they're including console sales in with that and you have to remember the game is being sold widely on UPlay in addition to Steam. In fact most places are selling PC codes on Uplay, not Steam.

I have no problem believing they hit those sales figures, there was a lot of pent up demand for the game and its release period is very quiet.

I understand that - but they haven't provided and "sales figures" that you speak of....how come so secretive? Just a sample from Steam would indicate it didn't sell well on Steam.....I understand there is UPlay (where my key resides via GMG), but I just don't see it. Not many people here bought it....I don't know of any friends that bought it (outside of the internet), only 6 of the 300 or so friends in my list bought it.....it just doesn't add up.

18. No subject Jun 3, 2014, 16:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:46:

Yea no, currently the performance is botched and even the best of the best graphics cards still can't run it properly. So no, you're 4 year old gaming PC ain't running it at a playable framerate on highest details.
"-disablepagefilecheck" Makes performance much better for the game, including getting rid of the damned intersection studdering.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:33 Quinn

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:34:
. They say this is not only a Ubisoft record, but it also makes Watch Dogs the bestselling new IP in history based on NPD and GFK data and internal estimates as of June 3, 2014.

BS

Sorry but I can't stop wondering with every single comment you write: are you somewhere between 12 and 15? Ffs man, there's more places out there than Steam. Use your bloody ooze!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

16. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:32 Tumbler

The sales of Watch Dogs is surprising. On so many levels it does things that normally get a lot of scorn from gamers. The difference in the e3 2012 video and the final product, the uplay issues, the last minute delay.

It seems to me that people looked past all that and like the game. Seems odd. It doesn't even look all that great to me. The e3 video looked great but this doesn't hit that same note for me.

I wonder if it's just a perfect time to release it because gamers are craving something to play?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 16:25 Agent.X7

I have played way too much of this game on my PS4. (To the point where I have a couple of ultra-rare achievements) Funny enough, I haven't even finished act II on the story yet. I think the story is fine. Typical action movie stuff. Not horrible, but not Naughty Dog, either.

-I like the driving. Feels better to me than GTA V, which I constantly crashed in.
-I like the shooting. Very solid, similar to Uncharted.
- I like that there is so much to do. Races, smash and crash, hacking, gang hideouts, side missions up the wazzoo!
- Guns! Lot's of guns! Aiden uses a Beretta PX4 by default, my current favorite! (Although his is .45, mines a .40)
- Online play is low key, and feels like a part of the game, not something forced in. So much fun when another player invades you.
- Fantastic graphics on PS4. Smooth frame rate.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo