Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

My mind still reels every time I recall the outcome of the fight between the Mountain and the Red Viper in this week's Game of Thrones. As far as story implications, that was not what I expected at all. And as far as a visual depiction, that was one of the most effectively gruesome special effects I've ever seen... I don't usually cringe at TV and movie gore, but that was an exception.

Exceptional Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Wolfgang Fights the Future.
Eat The Candy.
Artie's Dreams.
Stories: Edward Snowden NSA whistleblowing story to be filmed by Oliver Stone.
Stephen Colbert More Effective Than Journalists At Explaining Campaign Financing, Study Says.
Science: Cat people are smarter than dog people, study says. Thanks nin.
Democrats Have a Problem With Science, Too.
Monstrous rocky planet nicknamed 'Godzilla of Earths'.
Media: Dammit Jim, I'm a Proctologist.
Plane lands on sunbather on beach.
Follow-up: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work.
Star Wars: Episode VII Adds Academy Award Winner Nyong'o and Game of Thrones' Christie. Thanks nin.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2014, 14:03 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 20:51:
nin wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 18:03:
BA Expressway, westbound, left lane, right before the Sheridan exit? Exact same deal there - guy in front rapidly slowed, to the point that I wasn't sure I was going to stop in time. Once we hit the water, I suddenly knew why he slowed...almost a pants peeing couple of moments.

Mine was on 169 southbound, right at the 61st street exit. It dips quite badly there, and on really bad days they even close it down because of all the water.

It might have helped if they had put the drain at the actual BOTTOM of the dip, rather than about five feet before it gets there, but even so, if the rain would sink through the asphalt rather than just run down the concrete, it wouldn't be an issue.

We should just pay the Germans to come do our roads.

You haven't seen our roads then Seriously, yes.. the Highways are super functional and in perfect condition, but get off highways and to public city roadways and you experience 3rd world live... and our bridges are falling apart just as everyone else's because 140 billion € would be needed to fix them.. and you know how much Germany spends on fixing bridges? 1 billion € (And it's for bridges and roads that are owned by the state, not by cities)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 20:51 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 18:03:
BA Expressway, westbound, left lane, right before the Sheridan exit? Exact same deal there - guy in front rapidly slowed, to the point that I wasn't sure I was going to stop in time. Once we hit the water, I suddenly knew why he slowed...almost a pants peeing couple of moments.

Mine was on 169 southbound, right at the 61st street exit. It dips quite badly there, and on really bad days they even close it down because of all the water.

It might have helped if they had put the drain at the actual BOTTOM of the dip, rather than about five feet before it gets there, but even so, if the rain would sink through the asphalt rather than just run down the concrete, it wouldn't be an issue.

We should just pay the Germans to come do our roads.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 18:03 nin

Creston wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 17:24:
Two weeks ago in terrible rain guys in front of me on the highway suddenly start braking like crazy, swerving into other lains, and before I really figured out what was happening, I suddenly splashed into roughly a foot and a half of standing water. Had the entire highway been ZOAB, it would never have gathered there.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 17:24 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 13:20:
I'm not saying you're wrong Creston, but it seems there's a far amount of stuff done in Europe, that doesn't scale well for the US. I can't say if ZOA asphalt is or isn't an example of that.

There's no point in putting ZOAB on every road in the US, obviously that'd bankrupt the country, but when I see highways here in Tulsa that turn into fucking swimming pools when rain falls, I'd imagine that some ZOAB could probably save some lives.

Two weeks ago in terrible rain guys in front of me on the highway suddenly start braking like crazy, swerving into other lains, and before I really figured out what was happening, I suddenly splashed into roughly a foot and a half of standing water. Had the entire highway been ZOAB, it would never have gathered there.

Put it on the busiest and most dangerous roads and it WILL help. Or, we can just do what the US always does, and pretend no better solutions for anything exist, and keep putting down shitty-ass concrete that tears in a year, then smear a 1/2 inch layer of the cheapest and most worthless asphalt on top, and wonder why people keep aquaplaning off the road.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 13:20 Mr. Tact

I'm not saying you're wrong Creston, but it seems there's a far amount of stuff done in Europe, that doesn't scale well for the US. I can't say if ZOA asphalt is or isn't an example of that.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

39. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 4, 2014, 12:57 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:47:
His first complaint is that asphalt is such a wonderful, grippy surface and glass is not. Which is bullshit, as anyone in a state where it rains a lot or freezes in the winter can tell you. Get an inch of rain and your wonderful asphalt is about as grippy as ice.

Shitty American asphalt is, yes.

Well Constructed Asphalt is not. That wiki is in Dutch, so not very useful to you prolly, but the second screenshot on the right shows a road with normal asphalt (ie, the cheap shit the US uses) on the right, and it's wet and slippery, and ZOAB on the left, and the road on the left is basically dry.

ZOAB is porous asphalt, so the rain sinks through it and is then drained to the sides. Tests have shown that it can handle four to fives inches of rainfall an hour (which is like tropical deluge) before it gets overwhelmed.

Why doesn't the US use it? Well, because it's obviously more expensive, and because there is literally not a single human being in the DoT with an IQ above 60.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 07:02 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 02:03:
pssst... DFM/arena commander being rolled out as we speak =DDDD

But, but, but that can't be!!! STAR CITIZEN IS A SCAM!!!111one Chris R iz spendin R munneez on hookers n blow!

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 02:03 1badmf

pssst... DFM/arena commander being rolled out as we speak =DDDD  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 21:20 Kastagir

InBlack wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:31:
As epic as the fight was, what came before the fight was even better. In fact this is definitely one of my favorite episodes so far, with some of the best scenes and performances of all involved...
*semi spoiler below*
I couldnt help but feel sorry for Ser Jorah, a decent guy who has made some questionable decisions in his life and unlike most everyone else in the series always ends up paying for them bigtime...

[sarcasm]Yeah, and it's great how they spend 10 minutes of an episode talking about how some long-dead Lannister cousin liked to smash beetles...in a season that's quickly coming to a close without resolving much at all. Meanwhile, actors that are meant to be playing 10 year olds are entering high school.[/sarcasm]

35. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 19:34 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 19:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 18:09:
3 things

1) Putting solar panels on parking space is like putting a coffee-maker that needs virgin blood on the moon. You park during day on parking spaces, you may also park during night on parking spaces... making that completely pointless. Put roof over them and solar on top, easier, cheaper.

2) You can buy transparent solar panels to be used in giant office towers already, the tech exists and is mature, they even offer shading and UV protection inside, while absorbing everything outside

3) There is no, way, ever, that this produces enough power in it's short life to off-set the INSANE production cost or melt snow at -30°C And you need to connect that technology to the power grid, meaning you need some MAJOR infrastructure to convert voltage up and down, to store energy etc.... and that is infrastructure running ALONG the road. Because you can't connect infinite pieces of this technology together, or the internal currents will completely burn the connections.

And then there is the obvious problem that ice on those panels in the street will still need salt and snow plowing. Making the entire idea completely pointless. (If you don't know why.. 2 words, opaque glass)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for future tech usually, but putting solar panels in the road is stupid. Put them on roofs, where they make sense. Put roofs above everything for all I care... would make for a lot better driving ....

True. They'd work in less trafficked areas but in cities they'd be near useless - except as you mentioned rooftops - and sides of buildings. Anyplace with constant exposure really.

It'd be much smarter to utilize wind in major cities. Hell look at Chicago. It's not the 'Windy City' for no reason. Throw up micro wind turbines everywhere. Hell, what was that article that was on the OOTB a few months back about an entirely new kind of wind turbine? It looked more like a wheat thresher than a propeller. And they claimed it was hella more efficient, cheaper and easier to install everywhere. Wind-pods I think they were called.

Wouldn't be a bad idea but whenever "wind turbine" is mentioned I gotta think of the 3 that are about 4km from my living place... and the noise they make ;( These things are extremely huge though.... so they make a very deep "whoosh" sound.. you can get used to that more or less.... (But underneath them you couldn't really live at all, they make a hellish noise when it's windy)

I have the fear that small tube turbines would make one hell of a screeching sound during windy/storm periods. Since the same thing would happen as if you were to blow into a pipe at a sharp angle....

These tech ideas are always so interesting at the beginning until you go into the nitty gritty details....

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 19:33 xXBatmanXx

I liked the beetle conversation......  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

33. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 19:08 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 18:09:
3 things

1) Putting solar panels on parking space is like putting a coffee-maker that needs virgin blood on the moon. You park during day on parking spaces, you may also park during night on parking spaces... making that completely pointless. Put roof over them and solar on top, easier, cheaper.

2) You can buy transparent solar panels to be used in giant office towers already, the tech exists and is mature, they even offer shading and UV protection inside, while absorbing everything outside

3) There is no, way, ever, that this produces enough power in it's short life to off-set the INSANE production cost or melt snow at -30°C And you need to connect that technology to the power grid, meaning you need some MAJOR infrastructure to convert voltage up and down, to store energy etc.... and that is infrastructure running ALONG the road. Because you can't connect infinite pieces of this technology together, or the internal currents will completely burn the connections.

And then there is the obvious problem that ice on those panels in the street will still need salt and snow plowing. Making the entire idea completely pointless. (If you don't know why.. 2 words, opaque glass)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for future tech usually, but putting solar panels in the road is stupid. Put them on roofs, where they make sense. Put roofs above everything for all I care... would make for a lot better driving ....

True. They'd work in less trafficked areas but in cities they'd be near useless - except as you mentioned rooftops - and sides of buildings. Anyplace with constant exposure really.

It'd be much smarter to utilize wind in major cities. Hell look at Chicago. It's not the 'Windy City' for no reason. Throw up micro wind turbines everywhere. Hell, what was that article that was on the OOTB a few months back about an entirely new kind of wind turbine? It looked more like a wheat thresher than a propeller. And they claimed it was hella more efficient, cheaper and easier to install everywhere. Wind-pods I think they were called.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 19:02 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:33:
Hold on, hold on, hold on. There was GORE on Game of Thrones last night?! SPOILERS!!!11one

Oh, wait, never mind. There's almost ALWAYS gore on GoT.

Heh, that was pretty gorey. That's such a classic action movie foible though. The moral of the story, when you can kill a guy, kill him, don't drag it out and get all macho about it. Animals are always most dangerous when they're wounded.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

31. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 18:43 Prez

One correction I would point out is that 70F is all the panels would need to maintain in order to keep roads free of ice and snow. We use electric heat tracing on our outdoor process lines at the plant where I work. It maintains a constant 70 degrees and it will keep them from freezing in sub zero temps. If it quits working and then is restored it won't melt the ice - it only prevents freezing from happening in the first place. SCIENCE!!

Solar roadways is not the worst idea I've ever heard - it actually sounds almost feasible. The problem is the initial cost is going to be astronomical and everyone is broke.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 18:09 eRe4s3r

Jivaro wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 17:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 12:28:
I suspected as much when I originally saw the solar freakin' roadways video, however I didn't take time to think about it. At a simplistic level it seems like a great idea, but in reality it makes no sense whatsoever. Too bad, I could go for not having to shovel snow off my driveway any longer...

Yes, but just like Mr. British accent, it's easy to pick apart an idea and much harder to look into why it could work. His first complaint is that asphalt is such a wonderful, grippy surface and glass is not. Which is bullshit, as anyone in a state where it rains a lot or freezes in the winter can tell you. Get an inch of rain and your wonderful asphalt is about as grippy as ice. The guy sounds like a fucking shill for the oil industry.

And the cost? Well, holy fuck, nobody said it would all be replaced in a year, or even a decade. Not to mention power production mitigates a lot of that cost over time.

Yeah, while that video brings up some fairly interesting and completely valid points it also makes abundant use of the "this is too much of a problem to overcome" tactic. In other words, acknowledge that we have a difficult issue to address but make the proposed solution seem like an even bigger hassle so as to get people to stop thinking of solutions before they even start.

Personally, I look at this technology/concept and see it as something you use in parking lots or drive ways. I am not really sure I see it being something you can use for long distances or heavily traveled freeways. I don't think it needs to be limited to road ways either. For example, if corporate buildings had these things on the sides they could both save energy and sell space for advertising.

In the end, if the energy and pollution required to produce the things does not outweigh the savings after they are on the market (and that is a huge IF) than I think this tech will find a place.....after quite a bit of concept evolution. I seriously doubt I will see HWY 101 or HWY 880 covered in these things anytime soon.

3 things

29. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 18:09 Agent.X7

Jivaro wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 17:25:
I suspected as much when I originally saw the solar freakin' roadways video, however I didn't take time to think about it. At a simplistic level it seems like a great idea, but in reality it makes no sense whatsoever. Too bad, I could go for not having to shovel snow off my driveway any longer...

Yes, but just like Mr. British accent, it's easy to pick apart an idea and much harder to look into why it could work. His first complaint is that asphalt is such a wonderful, grippy surface and glass is not. Which is bullshit, as anyone in a state where it rains a lot or freezes in the winter can tell you. Get an inch of rain and your wonderful asphalt is about as grippy as ice. The guy sounds like a fucking shill for the oil industry.

And the cost? Well, holy fuck, nobody said it would all be replaced in a year, or even a decade. Not to mention power production mitigates a lot of that cost over time.

Yeah, while that video brings up some fairly interesting and completely valid points it also makes abundant use of the "this is too much of a problem to overcome" tactic. In other words, acknowledge that we have a difficult issue to address but make the proposed solution seem like an even bigger hassle so as to get people to stop thinking of solutions before they even start.

Personally, I look at this technology/concept and see it as something you use in parking lots or drive ways. I am not really sure I see it being something you can use for long distances or heavily traveled freeways. I don't think it needs to be limited to road ways either. For example, if corporate buildings had these things on the sides they could both save energy and sell space for advertising.

In the end, if the energy and pollution required to produce the things does not outweigh the savings after they are on the market (and that is a huge IF) than I think this tech will find a place.....after quite a bit of concept evolution. I seriously doubt I will see HWY 101 or HWY 880 covered in these things anytime soon.

Yeah, definitely easier to prove the concept in private parking lots and such anyway. Get the government involved and testing won't be approved for decades, if ever.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 17:25 Jivaro

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 16:49 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:05:
D-day landings scenes in 1944 and now.

Those are amazing....gives me chills...

yeah, that was really cool. Amazing how many of those buildings survived and look almost the exact same now.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 16:47 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 16:43 jdreyer

Well, if the girls of Prussian Blue can grow up to be reasonable people, I'd say there's probably hope for anyone.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo