Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homefront: The Revolution Announced

Deep Silver and Crytek announce Homefront: The Revolution, an open-world first-person shooter sequel to Homefront coming to Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. The game continues the Korean invasion of the U.S. of the original with a guerrilla war set in the streets of Philadelphia. We have some screenshots and logos and the launch trailer, and the game's official website is online. Here's the announcement with all the details:

Homefront: The Revolution throws players into a near future dystopia. Catastrophic events have brought the United States to its knees and enabled the Korean People's Army forces to impose a brutal military occupation. Trapped in this American nightmare, Philadelphia has become a police state, where surveillance drones and armored patrols keep her once-proud citizens at heel, crushing any dissent with totalitarian force.

To overcome their oppressors, players will have to engage in guerrilla warfare and use ambush, infiltration and hit and run tactics in thrilling un-scripted firefights. At every turn they'll find a sprawling open-world city, in which recruiting fellow revolutionaries and building improvised homebrew weapons are just two of the keys to creating a powerful resistance force.

The Resistance flourishes far beyond the single player. Homefront: The Revolution supports up to four players in online Co-Op gameplay where you form your own resistance cell and become renowned as Heroes of the Revolution.

"Homefront: The Revolution stands out from the crowd by immersing players in a world where they'll feel emotionally compelled to fight for their freedom," said Hasit Zala, Game Director at Crytek. "We're very excited to work with Deep Silver and deliver an experience that underlines Crytek's commitment to quality whilst tapping into the huge potential we saw when we first acquired the Homefront IP."

Homefront: The Revolution represents the first time Crytek and Deep Silver have worked together, with the two partners collaborating to release the game as part of a co-publishing agreement.

"Crytek has an outstanding track record of creating AAA action games. Homefront is a fascinating IP with huge global potential. With Crytek`s technical pedigree and Deep Silver´s publishing expertise, we will take the IP to new heights," said Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Deep Silver / Koch Media.

Developed by Crytek's Nottingham studio, Homefront: The Revolution harnesses the latest features of Crytek's CRYENGINE technology. On the ground, players will encounter a dynamic environment that looks and feels truly alive as day turns to night and storm clouds come and go - an authenticity that extends to the strikingly lifelike expressions, skin and clothing of everyone they encounter.

To find out more about the Homefront: The Revolution, and to watch an all-new trailer showing the game in action, visit www.homefront-game.com.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 3, 2014, 08:49 Verno

I don't know, I get it Prez. Some things are easier to swallow than others. There's no logic to it of course, its all about how its written. Suspension of disbelief is a delicate thing

Homefront itself was very mediocre and lacked in so many other areas that plot feasibility ranks pretty low on the list though.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 3, 2014, 08:41 Prez

I never got why people will suddenly start worrying about plot feasibility in games like Homefront. Is it any worse than a Zombie Apocalypse or a great big Mecca in space with dozens of different alien races?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 3, 2014, 02:32 SlimRam

I played the first one and didn't mind it too much but it was rather short although there was a lot of action packed into it. Yes, it DEFINITELY was a corridor shooter without a doubt but there were some story elements that were kinda disturbing (the scene in the beginning when your on the bus and see the NK soldiers kill the little boys parents and then just leave him there with they're bodies made me MAD) and the remote tank thing was a neat idea but you didn't get to play with it that much??? And the push on the bridge at the end was like....THE END and although it was kinda fun, when it was over, I didn't realize that was the end of the game until I saw the credits roll and I was like...."Uh...alrighty then".

This game sounds like a WAY more open world experience and my thoughts are that more open world is USUALLY a good thing.

I'll be looking forward to this because, well, I didn't hate the first one and I think I tend to like a few more games than others sometimes. I blame this on:

1) I have a low I.Q.

2) I have absolutely no taste

3) I'm easily amused

4) I'm usually drunk

Well now, there I go pumping up the 'ole self esteem again

I went to the 'Water and Ice' store near my house and I asked to see they're 'Secret Menu'.

48. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 23:11 Jerykk

This has a lot of potential, especially if they're willing to tackle more interesting concepts like morale, collateral damage, etc. That said, apparently the civilians were invincible in the press demo. Not exactly the most reassuring fact.  

47. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 22:39 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 17:40:
Some of the comments along the political nature, just make me laugh. Most of you don't have a clue what you are talking about, or the only thing you can present is the US media version of history. The best comments are from those that think the US is infallible and could never be invaded, ever.

When people say never, they don't mean before the heat death of the universe but rather in the next several decades. It is high fantasy to think it will be 'invaded' in our lifetimes. No country currently has the capability to pull off an invasion of America, such an undertaking requires an enormous combined land, sea and air force that only America actually possesses right now. The US has enough trouble invading other countries with no infrastructure, let alone someone invading the worlds predominant military and technological power. That's just the logistics of traditional warfare without getting into nuclear deterrents, diplomacy and the many other avenues that would likely prevent it.

America will not be invaded any time soon and that's all anyone can say about it since no one has a crystal ball. It would probably require a coalition of countries and at least a few more decades of force build up that would not exactly go unnoticed.

46. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 19:33 HorrorScope

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 16:33:
Welcome to the 1980s!

China has owned us for a very long time, and they have so thoroughly rooted our networks for more than a decade that the flip of a switch is the only step remaining.

They represent 1.3 trillion of a 17 trillion debt.

I hope and pray they flip the switch, it will be a huge win for the american worker. Flip it, we'll flip them off on the debt, jobs will instantly be needed in the states. Do it, because we should have never farmed out to commies in the first place. That was the whole reason not to do business with them. The Gov't was right on this one, but industry won out, cheap labor at the cost of our own.

45. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 19:14 Beamer

Ray Ban wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 18:42:
Why not give us Freedom Fighters 2 instead? The first one was decent fun.

I agree, but it was also an entirely different studio.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 18:42 Ray Ban

Why not give us Freedom Fighters 2 instead? The first one was decent fun.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

43. removed Jun 2, 2014, 18:27 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 3, 2014, 07:24.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

42. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 18:25 Numinar

Krovven wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 17:40:
The best comments are from those that think the US is infallible and could never be invaded, ever.

They have a point. USA with or without allies has the best or at the least the second best nuclear deterrent on the planet.

Anyone who invades will be staying a while because of this so better make good with the genocide or learn to fit in with the locals. Non-state actors you cannot nuke will not have the manpower or ability to supply a decent invasion. This is why we have terrorism.

41. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 18:22 Prez

Actually this game sounds like it may possibly fulfill the promise of the first one. Color me interested.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 17:40 Krovven

The dialogue in Bulletstorm was on a level for mouth breathing morons to understand. Other than some of the vistas, the game is garbage, top to bottom.

Homefront was decent, but not worth what I paid for it launch day.

Some of the comments along the political nature, just make me laugh. Most of you don't have a clue what you are talking about, or the only thing you can present is the US media version of history. The best comments are from those that think the US is infallible and could never be invaded, ever.

39. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 16:51 Ludomancer

Beckett wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:34:
If you enjoy behind-the-scenes game development stories, Rob Zacny's article about the development of Homefront is a really good read:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/3560318/homefront-kaos-studios-thq

For anyone who works in the game industry, this isn't a "really good read", it's the typical sob-story. The precedent has been set for decades that abusing developers is the status quo, and upper management has not changed an ounce since the whole practice was outed last century.

Developers need to quit jobs voluntarily, en masse, for things such as this. That's the only way it's going to change. Otherwise they are going to continue to slave away for what *seems like* large, 6-digit salaries, while executive management, investors and boards rake in the millions and then lay them off after burning them out.

The guy in this story dramatizes things well, but any developer without blinders on could drop a half-dozen or more stories like this any day of the week. It's pathetic.

38. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 16:33 Ludomancer

Welcome to the 1980s!

China has owned us for a very long time, and they have so thoroughly rooted our networks for more than a decade that the flip of a switch is the only step remaining.

DangerDog wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:12:

The joke is that China is taking over America by buying up one business at a time and our government is more than happy to assist them, including rewriting FDA rules to allow food to be processed in China and then sent back to the US without any need to label it as product of China. Smithfield Foods, largest pork producer in the US. Take a guess who just bought them up.

37. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 15:17 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 13:20:
Yup, and Germany was too poor after WWI to possibly be a threat. Oh, wait.

Apples and oranges. Those scenarios are worlds apart.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

36. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 14:38 JediPunisher

If I remember correctly, the first game was a competent shooter with a short but memorable SP campaign and good MP hampered by server problems.
I'm sure I'll end up buying the sequel... I just hope it's longer and those server problems are fixed.

35. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 13:20 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 12:58:
Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:02:
Even with make believe there's just stretching it past the point of incredulity. Yeah, a nation of people so badly off they eat dirt suddenly turns it all around and conquers the world. Uh huh. Yeah. Sure.

I'm sure all the right-wing extremist, open carry gun nuts will be fapping furiously over this however. 'See! See what will happen if we're not allowed to walk around with assault rifles!'

Well, the Mongols were so poor they wore coats made of the sewn-together skins of field mice to keep warm. And they ended up conquering the world.

But, yeah, I know what you're saying.

Yup, and Germany was too poor after WWI to possibly be a threat. Oh, wait.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 13:06 Marvin T. Martian

Skip the remake of Red Dawn.  

33. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 13:03 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 12:52:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:41:
I am one of the few people that actually liked the first one. Even in multiplayer. I will give this a go. Not a pre-order or a launch day purchase though. I liked the original but at the end of the day it was at best a competent shooter.

Than again, I liked Bulletstorm too. My taste in shooters doesn't seem to be line with many others if sales are any indication.

Bulletstorm was great. The marketing for it was crappy.

I never played the original Homefront, but I will say this looks interesting. I like the idea of asymmetric warfare playing from the underdog position.

I made it about 10 minutes in Homefront before I hated it. Gave it another 20 to work itself out, still hated it. Hated it.

Bulletstorm I loved.

This is coming from an interesting dev. Maybe not a great one, but an interesting one.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 13:01 jdreyer

MajorD wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:48:
Task wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:39:
.........If anything this should be U.S. Citizens vs. Corrupt Usurper Government = more realistic, and plausible. (IE, like in Deus Ex, when the U.S. declares a bunch of states as rogue 'Terrorists')

If you don't already, you should check out Continuum on SyFy. It has its weaknesses, but overall it is a great show and the writing is very interesting. It's pretty well done in IMHO. Rachel Nichols is a babe too.

I agree that Continuum is one of the better sci fi shows on TV. Well done with good characters and a nice overarching story.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo