Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homefront: The Revolution Announced

Deep Silver and Crytek announce Homefront: The Revolution, an open-world first-person shooter sequel to Homefront coming to Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. The game continues the Korean invasion of the U.S. of the original with a guerrilla war set in the streets of Philadelphia. We have some screenshots and logos and the launch trailer, and the game's official website is online. Here's the announcement with all the details:

Homefront: The Revolution throws players into a near future dystopia. Catastrophic events have brought the United States to its knees and enabled the Korean People's Army forces to impose a brutal military occupation. Trapped in this American nightmare, Philadelphia has become a police state, where surveillance drones and armored patrols keep her once-proud citizens at heel, crushing any dissent with totalitarian force.

To overcome their oppressors, players will have to engage in guerrilla warfare and use ambush, infiltration and hit and run tactics in thrilling un-scripted firefights. At every turn they'll find a sprawling open-world city, in which recruiting fellow revolutionaries and building improvised homebrew weapons are just two of the keys to creating a powerful resistance force.

The Resistance flourishes far beyond the single player. Homefront: The Revolution supports up to four players in online Co-Op gameplay where you form your own resistance cell and become renowned as Heroes of the Revolution.

"Homefront: The Revolution stands out from the crowd by immersing players in a world where they'll feel emotionally compelled to fight for their freedom," said Hasit Zala, Game Director at Crytek. "We're very excited to work with Deep Silver and deliver an experience that underlines Crytek's commitment to quality whilst tapping into the huge potential we saw when we first acquired the Homefront IP."

Homefront: The Revolution represents the first time Crytek and Deep Silver have worked together, with the two partners collaborating to release the game as part of a co-publishing agreement.

"Crytek has an outstanding track record of creating AAA action games. Homefront is a fascinating IP with huge global potential. With Crytek`s technical pedigree and Deep Silver´s publishing expertise, we will take the IP to new heights," said Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Deep Silver / Koch Media.

Developed by Crytek's Nottingham studio, Homefront: The Revolution harnesses the latest features of Crytek's CRYENGINE technology. On the ground, players will encounter a dynamic environment that looks and feels truly alive as day turns to night and storm clouds come and go - an authenticity that extends to the strikingly lifelike expressions, skin and clothing of everyone they encounter.

To find out more about the Homefront: The Revolution, and to watch an all-new trailer showing the game in action, visit www.homefront-game.com.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

31. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:58 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:02:
Even with make believe there's just stretching it past the point of incredulity. Yeah, a nation of people so badly off they eat dirt suddenly turns it all around and conquers the world. Uh huh. Yeah. Sure.

I'm sure all the right-wing extremist, open carry gun nuts will be fapping furiously over this however. 'See! See what will happen if we're not allowed to walk around with assault rifles!'

Well, the Mongols were so poor they wore coats made of the sewn-together skins of field mice to keep warm. And they ended up conquering the world.

But, yeah, I know what you're saying.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:56 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:34:
Why not the Chinese? Or Aliens? Or Iraq? Or the British?

Any of these are more plausible than North Korea. Bah, what the hell am I getting riled up about, the original Homefront was a piece of shit anyway and this will be no different.

China and Russia are big markets now, and the Brits always have been. You can't risk offending them. Iraq as villian is probably not PC. Aliens? Well that would be better than zombies and more plausible than North Korea. Would kind of be like HL2, no?

29. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:52 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:41:
I am one of the few people that actually liked the first one. Even in multiplayer. I will give this a go. Not a pre-order or a launch day purchase though. I liked the original but at the end of the day it was at best a competent shooter.

Than again, I liked Bulletstorm too. My taste in shooters doesn't seem to be line with many others if sales are any indication.

Bulletstorm was great. The marketing for it was crappy.

I never played the original Homefront, but I will say this looks interesting. I like the idea of asymmetric warfare playing from the underdog position.

28. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:52 Agent.X7

Jivaro wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:41:
I am one of the few people that actually liked the first one. Even in multiplayer. I will give this a go. Not a pre-order or a launch day purchase though. I liked the original but at the end of the day it was at best a competent shooter.

Than again, I liked Bulletstorm too. My taste in shooters doesn't seem to be line with many others if sales are any indication.

I'm with you. The single-player was very mediocre, but the multiplayer was a lot of fun. Very close to Battlefield in terms of vehicles and such. It's basically what I played while waiting for BF3 to release.

I liked Bulletstorm too.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

27. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:43 maddog

I would be happy if they just slapped a more current skin on Red Faction Guerrilla and called it a day.

Loved that game!

26. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:27 Hump

if they had any brains theyd release the original as F2P until the new one launches  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

25. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 12:00 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:12:
The joke is that China is taking over America by buying up one business at a time and our government is more than happy to assist them,

Yeah, I remember when Japan did that to us in the 90s. Even Wesley Snipes couldn't stop them!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:48 MajorD

Task wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:39:
.........If anything this should be U.S. Citizens vs. Corrupt Usurper Government = more realistic, and plausible. (IE, like in Deus Ex, when the U.S. declares a bunch of states as rogue 'Terrorists')

If you don't already, you should check out Continuum on SyFy. It has its weaknesses, but overall it is a great show and the writing is very interesting. It's pretty well done in IMHO. Rachel Nichols is a babe too.

23. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:39 Task

lol i thought this game was dead,

i know others are riled up about the whole NK thing, as am I. I hate that stupid idea of NK invading anything, they have no desire to do so and have wanted a peace treaty signed. Even SK is fkn corrupt as their "Democratic" Dictatorship is known for getting rid of opposition. For the historical record, here is a Canadian's view of the crimes committed against North Korea.

If anything this should be U.S. Citizens vs. Corrupt Usurper Government = more realistic, and plausible. (IE, like in Deus Ex, when the U.S. declares a bunch of states as rogue 'Terrorists')

22. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:34 Beckett

If you enjoy behind-the-scenes game development stories, Rob Zacny's article about the development of Homefront is a really good read:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/3560318/homefront-kaos-studios-thq

21. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:27 Siygess

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:12:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn
Homefront, a video game also written by John Milius, is about a North Korean invasion of America.[20] One notable "easter egg" relating to the film is a large billboard at a school sport stadium which reads "Go Wolverines!!!".

Loved watching Red Dawn (1984) back in the day. I think a remake was made but I haven't seen it.

oh shi... Same director of Red Dawn wrote Homefront.

Actually the trailer for the game is pretty much a scene straight out of the Red Dawn remake. It wasn't great, but neither was it terrible. I suspect we will be able to say the same about Homefront: The Revolution.

20. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:24 jacobvandy

Well, the government is virtually owned by China, in part. They're one of the largest single creditors of ours, at over a trillion bucks. It's like in Game of Thrones, who are the only people the Lannisters fear? The Iron Bank across the sea...

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 11:29.

19. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:12 DangerDog

InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:34:
Why not the Chinese? Or Aliens? Or Iraq? Or the British?

Any of these are more plausible than North Korea. Bah, what the hell am I getting riled up about, the original Homefront was a piece of shit anyway and this will be no different.

Because China would ban the game and that's actually a pretty big market or so I've read.

The joke is that China is taking over America by buying up one business at a time and our government is more than happy to assist them, including rewriting FDA rules to allow food to be processed in China and then sent back to the US without any need to label it as product of China. Smithfield Foods, largest pork producer in the US. Take a guess who just bought them up.

18. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:10 Creston

So now Korea apparently has enough soldiers to swamp the entire US. Heh.

In any case, the original was fucking terrible. Truly the worst example of the 100% on rails, 100% scripted shooter. It wasn't even worth the 10 bucks that I paid for it. 5 hour campaign full of bullshit where the NPCs do all the work for you.

And that apparently gets a sequel...

17. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:04 Darks

MDB wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:33:
I could never get past the idea of Korea taking over all of Asia and China being perfectly fine with it.

Hope they do something more interesting with the story this time around than trot out every single military occupation cliche.

Originally before this game was released and in development they changed who the enemy was, it was originally the Chinese, but even that is preposterous. The Chinese, hell not even the Russians have enough Navy or transports to pull off an invasion of the US. In fact the US is the only standing power on earth that can invade anywhere on the planet with the full force of its military.

So yea, some morons who originally were developing the game were pressured to not antagonize the Chinese by making them out to be a bad guy. That’s a joke in itself, because they are not our ally.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

16. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 11:02 Cutter

Even with make believe there's just stretching it past the point of incredulity. Yeah, a nation of people so badly off they eat dirt suddenly turns it all around and conquers the world. Uh huh. Yeah. Sure.

I'm sure all the right-wing extremist, open carry gun nuts will be fapping furiously over this however. 'See! See what will happen if we're not allowed to walk around with assault rifles!'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 10:55 MajorD

The original Homefront was 'okay' for me; it had so much potential, but was plagued with lazy and poor design decisions and it felt like it was rushed out the door, which I'm sure it was. I'm sure 'The Revolution' will be a better SP experience, but we'll just have to wait and see.

14. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 10:51 netnerd85

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:48:
The first one was crap
Thats insulting to crap!

13. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 10:50 Verno

MDB wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:33:
I could never get past the idea of Korea taking over all of Asia and China being perfectly fine with it.

Hope they do something more interesting with the story this time around than trot out every single military occupation cliche.

They can't afford to invade anyone, they're just a convenient villain by western media standards

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

12. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 10:50 netnerd85

Homefront is the worst game I have ever played.  

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo