Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've spent a lot of time in the great outdoors for a city boy. I went to sleep-away camp every summer of my youth, visited cousins in western New York, spent countless weekends at a farm upstate, and have lived the last 14 years in a woodsy suburb. But with all that, I have had one single tick bite in my life prior to now, without ever taking any particular efforts to prevent them. I've never really given this that much thought, but I had to pull two ticks off of me after this weekend's lawn care extravaganza, and found another crawling on my neck before he could locate my jugular, so I wonder if there's a reason my seeming invisibility failed me this weekend, which managed to triple my lifetime tick count.

R.I.P.: Ann B. Davis, Alice on 'Brady Bunch,' dies.

Ticky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Botiada.
AdVenture Capitalist.
Links: Ayn Rand's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
10 Classic Sci-Fi Movies With Better Effects Than Modern Films.
Media: TEENS REACT TO 90s INTERNET. BONUS Footage.
Physics lesson in the bar.
Here's Everything You Wanted To Know About Steaks.
Follow-up: The F-35 Fighter Plane Is Even More of a Mess Than You Thought.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 10:35 Ant

Creston wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:35:
Btw, if you think Teens react to 90s internet is funny, check out Kids React to Old Computer and Kids React to Sony Walkman. They're both pretty hilarious.

*taps CRT monitor to try to get computer to come on*
Don't forget the rotatory phones! I love these old stuff videos.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 00:54 Sepharo

Always just "Summer Camp" if not part of scouts here in Michigan, well Metro Detroit at least.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 23:31 Cutter

No man, it's very much a regional thing. Here we just said 'camp' and still do. If it was just day camp you said day camp, otherwise it was understood you were going away. It just sounds weird.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 20:08 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 20:02:
Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:33:
"Sleep-away camp"? That's a strange expression, Bruce. I mean doesn't going to "camp" imply you're going to be sleeping away from home to begin with? I'm familiar with day-camp which distinguishes itself by letting you know there will be no sleeping away from home. But if someone tells you they're going camping or 'to camp', don't you already infer they'll be sleeping away?

I have to agree with Cutter, as until Blue put it in the OotB I had never heard of 'sleep-away' camp in my life, with years of camping and going to summer camps in my youth.
Then again I never heard of warsh or corn-hole until moving to the midwest.

Oh, cmon! Everyones heard of sleepaway camp!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepaway_camp

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 20:02 The Half Elf

"Sleep-away camp"? That's a strange expression, Bruce. I mean doesn't going to "camp" imply you're going to be sleeping away from home to begin with? I'm familiar with day-camp which distinguishes itself by letting you know there will be no sleeping away from home. But if someone tells you they're going camping or 'to camp', don't you already infer they'll be sleeping away?

I have to agree with Cutter, as until Blue put it in the OotB I had never heard of 'sleep-away' camp in my life, with years of camping and going to summer camps in my youth.
Then again I never heard of warsh or corn-hole until moving to the midwest.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 19:47 1badmf

i agree about the abyss, especially the director's cut. fantastic scifi film brought down by some heavy handed environmentalism. but fantastically acted and conceptualized.

don't agree about star wars though. its effects have started to look hokey with age.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 18:45 Quboid

You're blowing through factional milestones pretty fast now. Four fifths!  

- Quboid

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 17:15 jdreyer

Thanks, Helf, I missed that. RIP Ann, I used to watch BB when I was a kid and she was always the funniest. I hope that I can make it to 88. I'll do a grampa fist pump if I do.

Also, is it just me, or could Greg, Peter, and Bobby have stood in for Robb Stark, Jon Snow, and Bran if GoT was made in the 70s?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 16:28 The Half Elf

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 14:00:

I was glad to see The Abyss on that list, a movie that gets way to little credit. I just rewatched, and while the groundbreaking CG gets all the attention in that movie, what blew me away was all the underwater work done in that film. It all looks great, and it's all seamless. It totally holds up and is a showcase for what you can accomplish with practical effects. It's a sci-fi action masterpiece, IMO.

EDIT: I'd also like to give a shout out to Jurassic Park. Back in those days, trailers didn't have all the money shots in them, so when I went to theaters and saw the film, my jaw literally dropped on that first dino shot. I knew a lot about effects, especially how creature effects were done with stop motion. My brain struggled with how they did it, because it didn't seem possible to create such imagery. I immediately went out and got another ticket so I could watch it again.

Really surprised Star Trek 2 or Star Trek 4 (the robot whales) not on that list.

And was very sad to hear about Alice, as she was the glue that held the Brady's together.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 15:21 Cutter

Blue wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 13:21:

The things you focus on never cease to amaze me.

Says the guy obsessed with weird number combinations.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 14:12 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 14:02:
Funny how it works out that way, eh? I was a little surprised the F-35 is a single engine plane. I thought that was one of the big pros to the F-14, F-15, and F-18s -- twin engines. I wonder if the single engine helps with the stealth and that's considered more important now.

Yeah, especially the Navy insists on dual engine planes. I can't believe they agreed to a single engine plane.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 14:06 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 14:00:

I was glad to see The Abyss on that list, a movie that gets way to little credit. I just rewatched, and while the groundbreaking CG gets all the attention in that movie, what blew me away was all the underwater work done in that film. It all looks great, and it's all seamless. It totally holds up and is a showcase for what you can accomplish with practical effects. It's a sci-fi action masterpiece, IMO.

That and True Lies are supposed to be on blu this year, but I've not seen a date yet...I'll lock them in as soon as I can, had Abyss on my wish list for years now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 14:02 Mr. Tact

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 13:15:
The ridiculous part is that we scrapped the F-14 because it was mega expensive and had insane maintenance costs and manhours, and yet here we are again less than 10 years later with a fighter than costs even more per plane sucking up all our defense budget. (Well, not really since budgets don't mean shit, we just overrun them willy-nilly)
Funny how it works out that way, eh? I was a little surprised the F-35 is a single engine plane. I thought that was one of the big pros to the F-14, F-15, and F-18s -- twin engines. I wonder if the single engine helps with the stealth and that's considered more important now.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 14:00 jdreyer

EDIT: I'd also like to give a shout out to Jurassic Park. Back in those days, trailers didn't have all the money shots in them, so when I went to theaters and saw the film, my jaw literally dropped on that first dino shot. I knew a lot about effects, especially how creature effects were done with stop motion. My brain struggled with how they did it, because it didn't seem possible to create such imagery. I immediately went out and got another ticket so I could watch it again.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 14:08.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 13:54 jdreyer

I posted this in the f-86 thread the other day, but here's a more detailed article discussing the problems with the F-35. The biggest issue is that the Marines want VTOL capability, and since all three branches share the same airframe, it affects the performance of all three version: Marine, Navy, & Airforce. Imagine trying to combine the F-16, the F-18, and the Harrier into a single plane. The F-35 sounds like a real pig, jack of all trades but master of none.

Similarly, the V-22 Osprey was hobbled by the requirement that it have carrier capability. Smaller propellers meant the engines have to run at redline to perform, which has caused all kinds of problems including a lot of crashes.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 13:44 sauron

Blue wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:33:
InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:09:
Nice. Whats the deal with tick borne diseases in the US? Over here in Europe ticks have been known to carry some nasty shit.

Lyme disease is the number one culprit, but there are others. Our god-daughter got really sick a couple of weeks ago from a tick-borne disease that's apparently just surfaced.

I'd be really careful - I've seen Lyme disease in horses and it can be really nasty. A good repellent is a great idea. I like Off! Deep Woods - not pretty but it definitely works.

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 13:32 rist3903

This can be chalked up to colloquialism. Once you grasp the fact that people from different parts of the world use different words to describe the same things, you can relax and get on with your life.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 13:21  Blue 

The things you focus on never cease to amaze me.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 13:15 Agent.X7

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 09:42:
The 60 Minutes story on the F-35 last night was a repeat story (as all their stories will be until the summer is over). $124-156 million a piece depending on the model, and they want to buy 2400 of them. The current $165 billion overage, will be a drop in the bucket by the time it's all over. Currently the projected expenditure over the life of the program is in excess of $1 trillion. I figure you could safely bet on at least double that by the end.

The ridiculous part is that we scrapped the F-14 because it was mega expensive and had insane maintenance costs and manhours, and yet here we are again less than 10 years later with a fighter than costs even more per plane sucking up all our defense budget. (Well, not really since budgets don't mean shit, we just overrun them willy-nilly)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 12:52 Beamer

Cale wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 12:49:
Not for me; growing up in NYC, there were two types of summer camps, day camp and sleep-away, my parents could only afford day camp so I was basically bussed upstate NY or to NJ for the day to explore a camp site.

Yup.
Lots of kids had a day camp to keep them occupied during summer vacation. Parents worked, so kids had to be sent somewhere. I only did sleep-away camp once, a 4 week one in Vermont or NH or some such, but did 3 years of a day camp that consisted solely of trips to the beach, the mall, the movies or the arcade.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo