Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Interviews

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 07:38 xXBatmanXx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 23:33:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 19:12:
Never did find out what was going on, but it stopped after a week.
Possible that your non-active pots line was malfunctioning. I've seen that happen up here in Canada, one guy on DSLreports in the canchat forum had 911 being called from his place for nearly 3 months until Bell finally fixed the problem.

Didn't that happen to Blue a number of years ago? I severed my line to the house long ago.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis? Jun 2, 2014, 06:53 InBlack

yuastnav wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 06:19:
InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 04:09:
[...] According to some of the newest neurological papers, free will, as we know it is very deceptive and most probably untrue. [...]

Neuroscience is so young that I do not think it is possible to say whether the whole neuroscientific community as a whole has come to the conclusion that free will doesn't exist.

Agreed. Which is why i used the word probably. Also depends on how you define the term.

I have a nifty blue line!

76. Re: Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis? Jun 2, 2014, 06:19 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 04:09:
[...] According to some of the newest neurological papers, free will, as we know it is very deceptive and most probably untrue. [...]

Neuroscience is so young that I do not think it is possible to say whether the whole neuroscientific community as a whole has come to the conclusion that free will doesn't exist.

75. Re: Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis? Jun 2, 2014, 04:09 InBlack

Harlock, as always its a joy to read your more philosophical posts. Id like to add one other thing, youve touched on it but it may have been lost on most of the people here. Apart from very few researchers who work in the field, humanity has yet to deal with the little known fact that many of our impulses or indeed motivations stem from programming that is inherent in our genes and upbringing. According to some of the newest neurological papers, free will, as we know it is very deceptive and most probably untrue. If you havent read "Neuropath" by Bakker yet, do so immediately.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 05:06.

I have a nifty blue line!

74. Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis? Jun 1, 2014, 23:45 harlock

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 17:08:
@Harlock,

Can you provide an example of someone who is battling sexism in media the "right" way? I'm not trying to be glib, I see what you getting at. During the civil rights movement, for example, people hit the streets in protest to foment change.

pussy riot

but its not as simple as saying anyone speaking out isnt helping.. this is a more subtle observation about this particular lady, and others who act in the same way

plenty of people out there who are writing about problems with human rights, simply speaking out, etc. are contributing - but there are also those who use such conflicts primarily as a tool of self-aggrandizement

and their motivations are unconscious, as these people are only aware of themselves doing "the right thing".. they do not see the reasons why they do it, which is precisely what creates the wrong result - because the intent is not genuine, and the action is superficial at best

i dont expect you to take my word for it when i tell you that i can often discern a persons innermost intent through circumstantial evidence, and i dont feel a need to convince you of it either

i can tell you that if you are committed to developing a working understanding of your own mind in its personal workings, eventually (after many years) you are able to discern more universal principals of the human psyche and many heretofore "invisible" things become as clearly observable as rush hour traffic - the personal understanding comes from subtleties that are not common knowledge, because such bridges are individually created

its really all about observation, and lots of time, choosing what you pay attention to (after regaining the ability to pay attention at all, and retain what you have learned).. looking deep within and taking responsibility for everything you do and all the various consequences that may result

unconscious motivations beget accidental results, because intent is not consciously sustained.. and accidental results beget more unconsciousness because they invite denial and avoidance

so its not enough to appear to "do the right thing", and in fact, simply acting out for the sake of that appearance creates more delusions about what exactly is "right" or "wrong" in the first place - it just adds more noise, confusion, chaos

self-serving separatism is whats really wrong - thats the whole root of sexism, racism, classism, and intolerance in general.. "I am better than YOU because x,y,z.."

and that particular issue is vast, complex, nuanced - and intimately tied to the phenomena of identity itself. it is most often entirely unacknowledged, because unmasking it as belief rather than fact is a direct threat to its continued maintenance

http://youtu.be/SFU1GeGFpzY

73. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2014, 23:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 19:12:
Never did find out what was going on, but it stopped after a week.
Possible that your non-active pots line was malfunctioning. I've seen that happen up here in Canada, one guy on DSLreports in the canchat forum had 911 being called from his place for nearly 3 months until Bell finally fixed the problem.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

72. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 23:13 bigspender

wow the responses in this thread really just show how rampant sexism is....

typical forums I guess, anecdotal claims vs anecdotal claims - read the independent research and the stats speak for themselves.

71. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 21:53 NKD

Sexism in game content is a lot less of a problem than sexism in game development studios and the gaming community at large.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

70. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 19:12 Agent.X7

My mother, however, had been on hundreds of calls and had never known the dispatcher to be wrong so went to the house anyway. The same woman answered and said, "Oh thank God you're here." Turns out she was vaginally bleeding, but would have rather bled out than let the male cop help her. It's a good argument that in public service both genders are essential.

pffft. I have been on THOUSANDS (more than 12,000) of calls and dispatchers are wrong ALL LOT MORE THAN NEVER! I have also been on "bleeds" in the same situation - never been told not to come in. Usually I just lock up for them as they run out to the ambo. And a comment like "don't go in that room" is sometimes said as she is running out the door.....I feel bad for people in those situations - to them it is traumatic, but to police/fire/emt, it is just another day/another call. Isn't personal and I don't judge.

I can attest to that. At my house in NY the police kept showing up at my door at 2AM claiming someone from my address called 911 according to dispatch. For a week straight. Same 2 officers every night around 2AM. I even showed them the second night that neither my phone nor my wife's had been used to call 911, and we had no land line. Never did find out what was going on, but it stopped after a week.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2014, 19:17.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

69. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 17:46 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 15:28:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 06:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 04:52:
If you really were one, you'd be keeping a log, and be able to answer immediately when someone asked you. See how easy that is? And how wrong?

Hah, bad example to pick. If he has records access he can do a pretty simple query to figure that out, and what he did on the calls, and at what times. And if you want to get crazy you could even know how many miles the car he took had on it and the equipment loaded into it. Who dispatched the call, the caller's name and address

The point is she was in an interview and answering off the cuff. If Bats was asked a similar question he wouldn't have time to check the records, he'd just say "thousands" or whatever. It's ridiculous to nitpick semantics like that, and reveals the mind of the nitpicker.

Those questions are e-mailed...not sure you know that....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

68. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 17:08 jdreyer

@Harlock,

Can you provide an example of someone who is battling sexism in media the "right" way? I'm not trying to be glib, I see what you getting at. During the civil rights movement, for example, people hit the streets in protest to foment change.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

67. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 17:00 Prez

She is actually hurting her own cause by using retarded examples that are not sexist, thereby removing any validity her argument may have had. Which is why she is an idiot. Not only is she not helping, she is actually hurting. People who otherwise might think "yeah, there are games that are sexist" instead roll their eyes at her nonsense.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

66. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 16:54 jdreyer

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 14:34:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 04:41:
Raising awareness is key. And for all her flaws, that's exactly what Sarkeesian is doing.

This is why nothing ever gets fixed. Because asshats like Sarkeesian babble on "raising awareness" and never do anything to fix the problem. I know, Anita, why don't you put up a picture on twitter of you holding a sign reading "End Sexism Now! #MyVaginaWantsToPlay"! That'll change the world! Look at how it helped get those Nigerian girls back! Oh, wait...

"Raising awareness" is nothing more than a license to bitch and moan, while trying to immunize yourself from the need to actually take your time and effort to actually address the problem. You get to pat yourself on the back for being so caring, yet live your selfish life without one minute modicum of sacrifice for your "cause."

Actually, things ARE getting better as Jerykk pointed out:
the numerous high-profile, mainstream games like Bioshock, Last of Us, Walking Dead, Remember Me, Portal, Tomb Raider, Saints Row, Fallout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Wolf Among Us, Assassin's Creed, The Bureau, XCOM, WH40K: Space Marine, Splinter Cell, etc.
Raising awareness is a perfectly valid way to address a problem up to a point. And judging by all the self-awareness-lacking morons that attacked her with sexist rape and murder remarks for doing her Sexism in Games series (the title of the story), there is still a lot of awareness to be raised.

You want to fix sexism in games? Make some games that aren't. Refuse to buy games that are, and take the minimum effort to contact publishers to let them know why. Give up your cushy day-job and become a Q&A tester for a company, work your way up the ladder, then change the direction of the company. Oh wait, my life should be a fucking Queen song ("I want it all, and I want it now"), so you should just make my wishes so, you peasants!
You don't fix sexism in games by making some that aren't. There are plenty of non-sexist games already. As for the Queen song, I don't get the impression she thinks things will change overnight. She seems in it for the long haul. And given the abuse she's getting, only someone with conviction would put up with that for what they believe in. Fainter flowers would wilt at the heat.

65. Re: there is no spoon Jun 1, 2014, 16:44 harlock

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 16:02:
I think what harlock is trying to say is

not exactly but those are excellent points and valid observations that are definitely related to it

none of this happens in a vacuum.. and conflict can easily become self-generating, because opposition thrives on itself.. there has to be a "bad guy" in order to have a "good guy", otherwise that whole worldview collapses .. in the same way free energy/food/shelter would "destabilize" the current economy that thrives on monetary interaction

and beyond that, any amelioration to the current system is partial at best - humanity as a whole is just not ready for global utopia, or it would already be here.. same with utopia at the national or even state level. (it may be possible for an even smaller group, but thats another story Floating )

before you can affect a real outcome, you need to have a real view of real possibilities - instead of unreasonable expectations based on inherently dysfunctional ideologies and subconscious motives

"its time to end sexism!" "its time to end racism!" "its time to eliminate poverty!" "its time for world peace!", yeh no shit - its time for a lot of things, not just a self-serving soapbox performance - real results take real work... and yeh, i can tell the difference very easily

talk is cheap.. so cheap its practically worthless - go ahead and walk the walk, then we'll get somewhere

64. Re: there is no spoon Jun 1, 2014, 16:02 NewMaxx

I think what harlock is trying to say is that it's a bit like education in the US. We like to blame the parents, the teachers, the culture...what's on TV, what games our kids are playing, Facebook...computers, the Internet, the whatever the heck small facet we can pass the buck to this week in order to get back to our "normal" lives with an understanding nod that somehow makes it all better. Stick your head in the sand while pointing a finger, that's our motto.

People would rather go for the emotional appeal, that visceral response that is so predictable, rather than do the real legwork, the real digging that would reveal the root of the problem. That root, of course, would both mean exposing yourself as well as those who fund your "research" as being complicit, knowingly or not. Let's be honest, people would rather not be known for being part of the problem than not being known for part of the solution, and that's the anti-conflict mentality we breed today.

63. there is no spoon Jun 1, 2014, 15:52 harlock

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 15:03:
IMO she's free to make whatever video games she likes, like the rest. Don't really need censorship either way, just freedom to make what we like.

If anyone thinks video games are overly sexist, have you seen videos/cinema?

it doesnt end there.. the problem is systemic, its a manifestation of humanity in general and not limited to a particular form of artistic expression

but analysis and study of partial elements does not indicate understanding of the whole. you cannot start with a fragment of a dissection of a given static topology and expect to extrapolate all interconnections between the moving parts of the entirety in real time

what you can do, however, is beat your chest and scream really loud about how "offended" you are, get emotional about it and indulge yourself in feelings of self-righteousness, basking in the glowing pride of your imagined moral "superiority" from being a champion for what is "right"

if you understand the totality of the human situation, it shows in your actions.. alternately, if you are trying to project a certain image for certain reasons, it shows in your actions

if you got enough balls to see yourself as you really are, rather than just the way you would like to appear, eventually you sprout antennae for this kind of signal-to-noise ratio Alien ... but if you are too chickenshit to face facts, your mind simply rots in ignorance of reality.. and eventually you fall down the rabbit-hole of recursive unconsciousness into the pit of mindless automation, where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth Biting

62. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 15:40 jdreyer

Cpmartins wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 11:44:
Game developers will conform to their expected audiences, not the other way around. It's that simple. Money speaks louder than words. No surprise that games that have 90% plus of male players cater to their preferences, is it? As for sexism, what are the examples. In my everyday life I fail to see any. Can anyone link to a statistically relevant study that isn't cherry picking to cater to some group?

Catering to a male audience and not having sexist stereotypes are not mutually exclusive. And for examples, go watch Sarkeesian's videos. While I'm sure there will be some things you disagree with, you'll see the examples you're looking for.

61. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 06:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 04:52:
If you really were one, you'd be keeping a log, and be able to answer immediately when someone asked you. See how easy that is? And how wrong?

Hah, bad example to pick. If he has records access he can do a pretty simple query to figure that out, and what he did on the calls, and at what times. And if you want to get crazy you could even know how many miles the car he took had on it and the equipment loaded into it. Who dispatched the call, the caller's name and address

The point is she was in an interview and answering off the cuff. If Bats was asked a similar question he wouldn't have time to check the records, he'd just say "thousands" or whatever. It's ridiculous to nitpick semantics like that, and reveals the mind of the nitpicker.

60. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 15:03 HorrorScope

IMO she's free to make whatever video games she likes, like the rest. Don't really need censorship either way, just freedom to make what we like.

If anyone thinks video games are overly sexist, have you seen videos/cinema?

59. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 1, 2014, 14:34 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 04:41:
Raising awareness is key. And for all her flaws, that's exactly what Sarkeesian is doing.

This is why nothing ever gets fixed. Because asshats like Sarkeesian babble on "raising awareness" and never do anything to fix the problem. I know, Anita, why don't you put up a picture on twitter of you holding a sign reading "End Sexism Now! #MyVaginaWantsToPlay"! That'll change the world! Look at how it helped get those Nigerian girls back! Oh, wait...

"Raising awareness" is nothing more than a license to bitch and moan, while trying to immunize yourself from the need to actually take your time and effort to actually address the problem. You get to pat yourself on the back for being so caring, yet live your selfish life without one minute modicum of sacrifice for your "cause."

You want to fix sexism in games? Make some games that aren't. Refuse to buy games that are, and take the minimum effort to contact publishers to let them know why. Give up your cushy day-job and become a Q&A tester for a company, work your way up the ladder, then change the direction of the company. Oh wait, my life should be a fucking Queen song ("I want it all, and I want it now"), so you should just make my wishes so, you peasants!

What you shouldn't do is collect a shitload of money, pocket most of it while producing videos in your basement for $150 and stealing other people's "Let's Play" work so you don't have to. As for the justification of her mendacity in service of the larger "goal," try that shit out with respect to Creationaism sometime, eh, and see how stupid you look. Sure, they're wrong about the physics, biology, geology, astrophysics, chemistry, and chronology, but don't let that stand in the way of your blind acceptance of their goal! Pass the "special" Flavor-Aid...

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo