Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins

The Elite: Dangerous website now offers access to the Premium Beta for Elite: Dangerous, Frontier Developments' upcoming space combat remake. You can purchase access to the beta on this page for a cool $150.00, and here's word:

Play now and be part of the Elite: Dangerous development team!

Get access to the first Beta stage of the game and help us shape Elite: Dangerous!

• Beta online multiplayer PLUS Single Player Combat missions to develop your Sidewinder skills
  • Automatic access to all the Beta development stages
  • All major downloadable expansion packs as they are released
  • A download copy of the released game

The FULL Premium Beta is OUT NOW.

View
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

87. No thanks! Jun 1, 2014, 19:48 Ant

I ain't paying for prereleases. Why don't they pay us to beta test it?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

86. Re: Elite Beta Jun 1, 2014, 17:59 Kosumo

My money would be on Star Citizen never being a great game. It is doomed by its design and poor management.

The stuggle they are having about just getting out an early DFM, to think they will then be able to make the other parts of the game and then get them to work in one solid game in any kind of reasonable time frame (2-4 years) is a joke.

They will have a SHIT load of trouble when it comes to a persistant on-line world that works that is not full of bugs and people cheating.

Chris Roberts just wants to make movies but he suck at that and hollywood don't want him so he is stuck trying to make games, which he has not done for over 10 years. (and at that time, sounds like he was stuggle with it then)

It's sad the amount of money some people have already put into this. All based on the fact he made Wing Commander, like what, 20 plus years ago.

Many guys who made great games back in the day have not been able to repeat their efforts over many attemps.

Still, each to their own. I just wish to let people know they should think twice before buying virtual items in a non-made game based on dreams.

85. Re: Elite Beta Jun 1, 2014, 17:35 SpectralMeat

A bit more flying practice in the beta
http://youtu.be/_8wZ6s6puKs

Steam: SpectralMeat

84. Re: Elite Beta Jun 1, 2014, 12:51 harlock

Prez wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 10:35:
harlock wrote on May 31, 2014, 12:28:
Prez wrote on May 31, 2014, 10:17:
. My money is on when all is said and done there will be a great game at the end of the epic development time.

id certainly take that bet if you were serious, and there was some way to objectively measure the valuation of a "great" game... some people are saying watch dogs is "great", some are saying quite different things

Yeah, fair enough. There are some games, like (staying with the Space Sim theme) like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Wing Commander that are virtually universally considered to be "great", which is what I was getting at. And I was being serious; the only question in my mind is how long until Star Citizen ships AND how long until the shipped product fixed enough that it has all of its promised features and works for everyone flawlessly? With a game this ambitious I just can't see it shipping without some problems.

honestly i smell tragedy on the horizon for star citizen.. even if they eventually release with all the features they have planned (which i seriously, seriously doubt will happen) its already at the point where it cannot ever hope to live up to the hype they created around it

83. Re: Elite Beta Jun 1, 2014, 10:35 Prez

harlock wrote on May 31, 2014, 12:28:
. My money is on when all is said and done there will be a great game at the end of the epic development time.

id certainly take that bet if you were serious, and there was some way to objectively measure the valuation of a "great" game... some people are saying watch dogs is "great", some are saying quite different things

Yeah, fair enough. There are some games, like (staying with the Space Sim theme) like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Wing Commander that are virtually universally considered to be "great", which is what I was getting at. And I was being serious; the only question in my mind is how long until Star Citizen ships AND how long until the shipped product fixed enough that it has all of its promised features and works for everyone flawlessly? With a game this ambitious I just can't see it shipping without some problems.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

82. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins Jun 1, 2014, 07:20 SpectralMeat

Lots of EVE reference in the game so far. Definitely feels like EVE in first person view, but you can play this in sp also. Very similar concepts though.  

81. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins Jun 1, 2014, 01:05 harlock

i wonder if this will get as big as EVE

that would be intense

80. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 18:51 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on May 31, 2014, 18:48:
OK, one additional stupid question: Is there eventually going to be more SP, or is MP the primary focus of the game? I just assumed there would be a (strong) SP portion as well (though I totally understand if it's not ready yet).

Thanks again!
As far as I know there is no SP campaign/story. The game is a sandbox game you play however you like. The beta currently populated with npc pirates there will be faction wars and staff like that but you choose what you want to do and create your own story.
The sandbox game (finished game) can be played solo/coop/open MP where every single ship you encounter can be another person not an npc.
If you wish however you can play completely solo.

Right now however the beta is MP only in terms of the sandbox gameplay, and the portion of the galaxy that is available just a tiny portion of the full game. A lot more to come

79. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 18:48 nin

OK, one additional stupid question: Is there eventually going to be more SP, or is MP the primary focus of the game? I just assumed there would be a (strong) SP portion as well (though I totally understand if it's not ready yet).

Thanks again!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

78. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 18:46 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on May 31, 2014, 18:13:
Last questions before I pull the trigger:

How much SP content appears to be in this latest version? Are there missions and such, or is it just flying around and landing?

How does patching work? Do they have their own client, or are you downloading each version or what?

Thanks man!

The SP in the beta is basically just a tutorial.
There are 9 SP mission scenarios. Starting with shooting at floating garbage cans and the last mission is a last man standing style waves of enemies warping in and trying to kill you.
How long those will take is up to you and you skills but those are more of a tutorials than anything else.
I still haven't finished them.

The MP is basically a huge sandbox where you can fly anywhere and do anything, trading, hunting, pvp whatever you want. Earn cash upgrade your ships, weapons etc. That is what the game really is, the rest feels like wasting time.
There are no landing and stations in the SP that is all MP.
No need to worry about not pulling off a perfect landing. I've seen people smashing into the side of the space station where there is no door, and all kinds of funky stuff.

There is a game launcher that starts up. You login with your user name and pw and that will check to make sure your game client is up to date.
From the old Alpha version what I've had the upgrade process involved an update to the launcher itself and then a 6Gb download and install of the beta game.
According to the forums it is probably better to remove the old version and install the new fresh but I did not bother.
There are some crashes especially in MP but the game automatically creates a crash report and ask you to send it ones you are back at the desktop. No hard lock ups though.
Crashes usually appear when I log off the MP or I enter the station and try to buy something.
Another interesting thing about the MP is that you save your game as you exit and you come back in when you log in at the same spot you left off. Just like a SP game.

Hope that answers your questions

77. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 18:13 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 31, 2014, 16:16:
Lots to learn when it comes to combat and overall ship controls.
Tim here in this video is a very decent pilot and he is getting his ass kicked in MP atm.
Have a look

For anyone that is curious the beta is amazing, so is the X-55 Rhino from Saitek, my flight skills however need a lot of work.
Managed to blow up a few times during landing, I don't even have a chance against other human players atm.
Need to put more time into learning the controls and master them.
Good thing is other players get no bounty for killing other players unless they are pirates with bounty on their head.
So PvE is much better time investment than PvP unless you are bounty hunting and looking for player pirates.

So far so good though, I am looking forward to see all the new stuff they are bringing to this beta in the coming weeks.
until then I have my work cut out for me and have to learn how to fly properly

Last questions before I pull the trigger:

How much SP content appears to be in this latest version? Are there missions and such, or is it just flying around and landing?

How does patching work? Do they have their own client, or are you downloading each version or what?

Thanks man!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

76. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 16:16 SpectralMeat

Lots to learn when it comes to combat and overall ship controls.
Tim here in this video is a very decent pilot and he is getting his ass kicked in MP atm.
Have a look

For anyone that is curious the beta is amazing, so is the X-55 Rhino from Saitek, my flight skills however need a lot of work.
Managed to blow up a few times during landing, I don't even have a chance against other human players atm.
Need to put more time into learning the controls and master them.
Good thing is other players get no bounty for killing other players unless they are pirates with bounty on their head.
So PvE is much better time investment than PvP unless you are bounty hunting and looking for player pirates.

So far so good though, I am looking forward to see all the new stuff they are bringing to this beta in the coming weeks.
until then I have my work cut out for me and have to learn how to fly properly

75. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 12:49 SpectralMeat

My money is on when all is said and done there will be a great game at the end of the epic development time.
Yeah but will we still care about it when it finally ships?
How close is it going to be to the original idea?
How un focused they seem to work I get the impression the game will be a jack of all trade master of none.

74. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 12:28 harlock

73. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins May 31, 2014, 12:25 harlock

i dont really have enough free time to warrant a $150 purchase, even with a standard work schedule - ive got too many other expensive hobbies like music and digital art and video and so forth

but if i didnt, id probably be down with that - game looks fucking insane

72. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 10:17 Prez

Yeah but this is kind of how Roberts has always operated. My money is on when all is said and done there will be a great game at the end of the epic development time. The problem is that in the meantime with all the fluff it just seems like the team is meandering aimlessly towards nothing in particular. I suspect that is one of the downfalls of NOT having a publisher - there's no one to hold your feet to the fire and say, 'come on guys, let's get moving on this and get something done in a timely manner'. Right now all of the fluff updates give the impression that the team lacks focus.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 08:30 SpectralMeat

El Pit wrote on May 31, 2014, 03:09:
In other news: anybody can release a game, but only ONE can NOT release a game and instead promote "The Next Great Starship". The Lord of Vapor did it again! He should understand that this is sort of a very, very bad joke at the expense of his backers now.
It is nice isn't it?
That is what I was talking about in the SC thread.
The latest news letter contains "The Next Great Starship" and "The First Run: Episode Seven" and "Wingman's Hangar - Episode 71"
For fucks sake just focus on the game and finish that damn dogfighting module, and leave all this other web tv show bullshit behind already!
It is like putting all your focus and work in to paint schemes for ships for a game that doesn't even exist yet.
Maybe my grand kids will get to play the retail version 1.0 of Star Citizen

70. Re: Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 07:56 Drayth

I had no idea the sci-fi elements of this game were going to be so "thick" so-to-speak (I'm referring to everything after the pilot gets out of hyperspace). I think I may still hold out for the final product, but I certainly don't bat an eye at anyone joining in early to this game... dayum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj2MXw8t_40&feature=youtu.be

69. Elite Beta May 31, 2014, 03:09 El Pit

I envy all those who are playing the beta right now... No, I won't throw more money at Elite after I've bought the season pass yesterday.

In other news: anybody can release a game, but only ONE can NOT release a game and instead promote "The Next Great Starship". The Lord of Vapor did it again! He should understand that this is sort of a very, very bad joke at the expense of his backers now.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

68. Re: Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta Begins May 30, 2014, 22:37 fujiJuice

The Half Elf wrote on May 30, 2014, 21:04:
I agree to a point. It seems to me that it the game should be cheaper because it's incomplete (and thereby rewarding early adopters) and more expensive at launch.

It establishes a barrier to entry for the people who would just buy the early access for $20-$30 or whatever price you set, and play it as if it were something that is complete. It allows for more likely chance of them not being a fan of the genre, they would offer no suggestions for improvements, and you would see them going on forums offering their scathing 'review' of a game that isn't close to completion.

With a premium charge you can weed out a great number of those people right from the beginning. Most willing to pay that additional cost will obviously have more than a passing interest in the game.

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo