Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Watch Dogs PC Performance Patch Plans

A series of tweets (one, two, three, four) from Sebastien Viard talks about performance of the Windows edition of Watch Dogs, as the game's graphics technical director reveals a patch to improve this is in the works (thanks MCV). Here they are batched together:

Watch Dogs can use 3+ GB of RAM on NG consoles for graphics, your PC GPU needs enough VRAM for ultra options due to the lack of unified mem

If you experience lag/stutter on a fast PC, try to lower one of those settings to reduce the GPU VRAM usage: texture quality, AA, resolution

Making an open world run on NG & CG consoles + supporting PC is an incredibly complex task, the team did a fantastic job. Congrats guys! :D

And finally, our PC progs are also currently working on a patch to improve your experience thanks to your reports, stay tuned :)

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans Jun 2, 2014, 01:09 Jerykk

Yea have done that - but the first video showed parkour chases....i dunno....underwhelmed....

The best chases are the ones against other players after their failed attempts to hack you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans Jun 1, 2014, 10:56 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 03:14:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 02:49:
So...this just came to me.....I have done no less than 50 foot chase scenarios with NPCs....and every single time it is in a damn near straight line, doesn't do much but maybe jump over a trash can....maybe look back and shoot at me. Never once have I had to go down stairs, up stairs, climb buildings, etc. And that was all shown in one of those first videos.....wtf happened? Most of this stuff in the video is trivial at best! How do they not have those final touches with all of the delays?

I assume the delays were for all the side crap - that is very poorly exectuted. I went 20 rounds in the VR shooting game, and that was 19 rounds to much. Some dude went 130+ rounds in that! (per scoreboard) It is boring as hell!

Just watched the TotalBiscuit WTF Is video, and he chases a guy over fences and shit...

Yea have done that - but the first video showed parkour chases....i dunno....underwhelmed....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

58. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans Jun 1, 2014, 03:14 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 02:49:
So...this just came to me.....I have done no less than 50 foot chase scenarios with NPCs....and every single time it is in a damn near straight line, doesn't do much but maybe jump over a trash can....maybe look back and shoot at me. Never once have I had to go down stairs, up stairs, climb buildings, etc. And that was all shown in one of those first videos.....wtf happened? Most of this stuff in the video is trivial at best! How do they not have those final touches with all of the delays?

I assume the delays were for all the side crap - that is very poorly exectuted. I went 20 rounds in the VR shooting game, and that was 19 rounds to much. Some dude went 130+ rounds in that! (per scoreboard) It is boring as hell!

Just watched the TotalBiscuit WTF Is video, and he chases a guy over fences and shit...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

57. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans Jun 1, 2014, 02:49 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

56. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 23:07 Simon Says

Here we go again, unoptimized crap which should run just as well as the latest consoles which are equipped with 4 year old hardware on 2-3 year old PC hardware shockingly DOESN'T!

Bullcrap, all of it. They just want us to buy new GPUs etc etc etc ad vitam aeternam during the whole lifecycle of the console so they go with more and more bloated and unoptimized PC code when it should be a no brainer now with the all PC hardware and architectures running on the consoles.

Paint me not surprised AT ALL.

55. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 22:06 Creston

NKD wrote on May 30, 2014, 21:17:
Creston wrote on May 30, 2014, 18:08:
It's just sad to see how little stuff there is in WD, while said stuff IS in GTA5. I can't even imagine how little there would have been in WD had they not delayed it right after GTA5 came out and they realized their game would have looked terrible compared to it.

Probably shouldn't be watching biased, literally one-sided videos by people with an axe to grind if you don't want to feel sad.

Maybe I ought to make a video where I compare Saints Row to GTA by rubbing my car against a wall and then declare the Saints Row series literally unplayable shit.

You could. And then people would logically point out that Saints Row isn't claiming to be the Next Gen of open world games. And everyone would conclude that, yes, Saints Row is nowhere near as detailed as GTA 5, which is all I was saying.

54. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 21:28 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on May 30, 2014, 21:21:

I had to get use to driving and the car handling in the game. It's not as good as GTA4/5 but slightly better then Saints Row 3 and Sleeping Dogs, but Motorcycles are just as horrible as Saints 3 and Sleeping Dogs.

I found myself actually preferring motorcycles in Watch Doge after I spent some time with them. My gamepad was having issues so I had to go back to KB/Mouse for driving, and for some reason motorcycles were a lot easier for me with KB/Mouse than cars were. Plus it's a lot easier to not kill civilians with the smaller profile.

And the city is full of little sidewalks and stairs that motorcycles handle easily but cars will not. And being able to thread Blockers is nice too.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

53. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 21:27 Bundy

For the most part when I'm saying it looks good. I'm referring to how detailed the textures get you get close to them and examine the details. What does the ground look like with the grass being blown by a breeze. If you're talking about boring urban grey everywhere, then yes, it is bland. Not much color or life. My major qualms with the game isn't the visuals, I think they're fine enough. But the gameplay is really hit or miss. And the theme doesn't match the gameplay. You're supposed to be the hero, I think. But every mission where I'm out to save the day, I mow down a dozen innocents in a stolen fire truck.

I'm not sure the game knows what it wants to be. Its like a mashup of assassins creed and gta. It feels like AC1. Where they had all these ideas but no direction on how to execute them. Hopefully its successor will tighten this up.

52. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 21:21 The Half Elf

SpectralMeat wrote on May 30, 2014, 15:12:
PC version on Ultra settings true next gen gaming experience
http://youtu.be/idA9BEA4Hxs

Is the game the next coming of jesus christ? No. But all the notes in that video are just whining and moaning.

I run the recommended specs for the game and here is my system.

i7-3770k @3.50GHZ (8 CPUs)
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
8 Gigs of ram
EVGA 560ti with 1 gig of vram.

Textures at Medium and everything else at High (by the auto detect) and the game runs silky smooth with exception to some interior cut scenes like the last one in the detention center for a few seconds.

Obviously the retail version along with the latest nvidia drivers are noticeably better then the warez version.

I had to get use to driving and the car handling in the game. It's not as good as GTA4/5 but slightly better then Saints Row 3 and Sleeping Dogs, but Motorcycles are just as horrible as Saints 3 and Sleeping Dogs.

I'd really love a jump button, and a way to host matches instead of this blind 'finding a game' crap, especially when doing free roam.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

51. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 21:17 NKD

It's just sad to see how little stuff there is in WD, while said stuff IS in GTA5. I can't even imagine how little there would have been in WD had they not delayed it right after GTA5 came out and they realized their game would have looked terrible compared to it.

Probably shouldn't be watching biased, literally one-sided videos by people with an axe to grind if you don't want to feel sad.

Maybe I ought to make a video where I compare Saints Row to GTA by rubbing my car against a wall and then declare the Saints Row series literally unplayable shit.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

50. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 20:33 Mordecai Walfish

It's just sad to see how little stuff there is in WD, while said stuff IS in GTA*4*.

FTFY

Small example: run over a fire hydrant in GTA4 and you can see what happens when a developer knows that details matter.

49. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 20:05 Quinn

Bundy wrote on May 30, 2014, 18:13:
Quinn wrote on May 30, 2014, 17:30:
Bundy wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:51:
harlock wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:32:
Bundy wrote on May 30, 2014, 14:55:
I wouldn't say mediocre at all.

i would.. and i did

if you love it, awesome - good for you

but i expect a hell of a lot more from ULTRA!! graphics settings that cripple hardware in this way

Yeah, sorry man. Dont know what to tell you. The game looks fantastic for me. Short of Crysis 3, which isn't a massive open world game with tons of Ai running around, I'm not sure anything looks better. There's a few that look as good, but better? Can you give us an example to back up your point instead of just raving "its junk" and leaving.

Its definitely sure as hell better than DS2, which bragged about its ultra PC graphics, which most definitely did not live up to the hype.

This doesn't look remotely as good as Crysis 3. I don't fault WD for it because it's open-world and Crysis 3 isn't, but I do fault you for talking such bullshit about something we could be objective about. No, it doesn't look as good as Crysis 3 by a long shot and to claim otherwise is putting you in the biased fanboy category.

The first thing that hit me in the face like a sack of nails were the mediocre open-world graphics. During the tutorial mission they looked just OK, but when I got outside I checked twice if I INDEED had everything on Ultra and why the hell the game ran like shit, relatively compared to the visuals.

Don't touch Ultra textures, people, it looks just as crap as High textures yet with High the game runs three times better.

I did say Crysis 3 looked better. You quoted me where I did. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying its a fair shot better than mediocre. Ultra definitely looks sharper than High. I will disagree with u there.

Of course those E3 2012 vids are waaaaaaaay better than the end product. Betcha those were all prerendered.

I had misread your comment somehow. Must be a foreigner thing that got in the way, sorry about that!

Still, you're being overly optimistic about the graphics. To me, Far Cry 3 had me staring at the screen for minutes, drooling at the great vistas before me. That's the first obvious one, but while I have difficulty at this late hour to come up with another jaw-dropping title, I do know WD isn't one of them. It's just so... bland.

Also, in an earlier comment I complaint about all those huge popups in the screen all the time which drove me nuts. Realized after starting the game up again that that crazy shit disappears once you "holster" your smartphone. Been a much more pleasant gaming experience after that realization, lol.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

48. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 18:13 Bundy

i would.. and i did

but i expect a hell of a lot more from ULTRA!! graphics settings that cripple hardware in this way

Yeah, sorry man. Dont know what to tell you. The game looks fantastic for me. Short of Crysis 3, which isn't a massive open world game with tons of Ai running around, I'm not sure anything looks better. There's a few that look as good, but better? Can you give us an example to back up your point instead of just raving "its junk" and leaving.

Its definitely sure as hell better than DS2, which bragged about its ultra PC graphics, which most definitely did not live up to the hype.

This doesn't look remotely as good as Crysis 3. I don't fault WD for it because it's open-world and Crysis 3 isn't, but I do fault you for talking such bullshit about something we could be objective about. No, it doesn't look as good as Crysis 3 by a long shot and to claim otherwise is putting you in the biased fanboy category.

The first thing that hit me in the face like a sack of nails were the mediocre open-world graphics. During the tutorial mission they looked just OK, but when I got outside I checked twice if I INDEED had everything on Ultra and why the hell the game ran like shit, relatively compared to the visuals.

Don't touch Ultra textures, people, it looks just as crap as High textures yet with High the game runs three times better.

I did say Crysis 3 looked better. You quoted me where I did. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying its a fair shot better than mediocre. Ultra definitely looks sharper than High. I will disagree with u there.

Of course those E3 2012 vids are waaaaaaaay better than the end product. Betcha those were all prerendered.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2014, 18:21.

47. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 18:08 Creston

harlock wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:44:

hahahahaha

46. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 18:01 NKD

Finally beat the story last night, and I've gotten through most of the side stuff now.

I'm interested to see where they go with the franchise. I'm hoping a Watch Dogs 2 will be similar to Assassins Creed 2 in terms of a bump in focus. Like figuring out what worked, what didn't, and doubling down on what did. And of course fixing the performance disaster. Game looked and ran phenomenally for me, but my system is nowhere representative of what developers should be targeting.

All in all, I'd say it's a solid first installment for a new game, but you can definitely see a lot of AC1 in it, where they didn't know exactly what they wanted to do.

45. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 17:32 Orogogus

i would.. and i did

He clearly said "short of Crysis 3". That means, objectively, that Crysis 3 looks better. All you had to do was pick a different game.

44. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 17:30 Quinn

i would.. and i did

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

43. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 17:17 harlock

Beamer wrote on May 30, 2014, 17:08:
Setting the physics for the water to realistically interact with the truck would probably be a several day task for one person.

not at all.. per-particle collision is pretty standard stuff in physics APIs

thing is, it would destroy realtime performance in a big way, for very fleeting graphical fx

however, they could just chop it off easily, as to not have it clip through the truck.. thats super simple shit, only excuse is laziness, lack of attention to detail, etc

42. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 17:13 harlock

Can you give us an example to back up your point instead of just raving "its junk" and leaving.

pretty dramatic there arent ya?

i said it looked mediocre, not "raving" "its junk".

its average looking to me... aside from that, take a gander at that video below for some more fun stuff

im not trying to convince you of anything. and i have no desire to debate my opinion on how it looks.. consequently, theres no need for you to be defensive about it, because i really dont give a shit if you like it or not - fuckin live it up man, have fun

41. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 17:08 Beamer

Beamer wrote on May 30, 2014, 17:03:
harlock wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:44:

hahahahaha

Holy crap, that's the first time I've ever seen YouTube annotations be useful. 99.999999% of the time I just curse that I can't default them off.

Some of the stuff is definitely shocking, because games like GTA4 and SR3 did it better years ago.
Other things, like the broken hydrant shooting through the bed of the truck? I'm not entirely convinced we'll see something like that change anytime soon. Setting the physics for the water to realistically interact with the truck would probably be a several day task for one person. Is it really worthwhile? Once it's used in one game, I'm sure that the company will use it for every game they make, but still, who is going to say "well, this is a good use of my next 15 hours?"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo