Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2014, 13:11 descender

It's not the speed of the asteroid, but the size.

Relativistic Kill Vehicles have always been part of sci-fi lore. I think they even used this in the original Mass Effect?

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * M * V^2 sort of... velocity matters (see what I did there) much more than mass. Sort of. Mass also increases as velocity approaches the speed of light. It's the end, it's all just E anyway. Smart Bored

This comment was edited on May 29, 2014, 13:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2014, 13:00 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2014, 16:35:
Creston wrote on May 28, 2014, 11:46:
Average Mars-Earth distance is roughly 225 million kms, so the asteroid seems to be going at ~270ish meters per second. Not real sure that's going to kill the planet.

It's not the speed of the asteroid, but the size. An asteroid the size of Manhattan (12 miles) would certainly cause a mass extinction of all but the most hardy plants and animals, essentially recreating the last mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous in which the dinosaurs and most other megafauna went extinct. The crater itself would be 200 miles in diameter, and so much debris would be in the atmo that global temps would drop to sub-arctic levels worldwide.

Not if it's going just 270 meters per second it's not. C is the important vector, not so much M. It'd still do a lot of damage, but if it splashed in the ocean, as is likely, it'd cause a tsunami and that's about it.

Normally asteroids that would be a threat to earth are travelling in the range of 10-20 km/s, or even faster.

In any case, the idea that there's a manhattan sized object that close to earth without having been detected was crazy enough to begin with.

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2014, 03:59 jdreyer

RE: Snowden. He HAD to do it the way he did. There have been others before him who tried to whistleblow within the system, and all it got them was arrest, harassment, and no change. See former NSA officials William Binney and Thomas Drake for example. And going straight to the press and staying within the US? We only need to look at Chelsea (Bradley) Manning for that cautionary tale. A non-violent cooperative defender put into almost a year of solitary and facing decades in prison.

So yeah, Kerry can DIAF.

And if you have any lingering doubts that Snowden sacrificed his life as he knew it, he was residing in Hawaii, making a quarter mil a year, and living with his absolutely stunning dancer girlfriend.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 23:17 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2014, 16:14:
Best estimates are that most, but not all, have been:
As a result of NEOWISE in 2011, it is estimated that 93% of the NEAs larger than 1 km have been found and that only about 70 remain to be discovered.
Wow, I didn't realize they thought they had found that high a percentage of the NEOs. I would have guessed half that percentage at best.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 23:06 Mr. Tact

While I might agree with most of your sentiment, HorrorScope. I think you are giving Kerry too much credit by calling him a lair. He isn't that smart, I suspect he actually believes what he is saying.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2014, 23:15.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 18:38 MajorD

nin wrote on May 28, 2014, 09:01:
Now I gotta go toss on Bowie's "Five Years"...

NICE!!!

That's a great song, was just listening to that album (David Bowie's best one IMHO) a few weeks ago.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 18:16 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on May 28, 2014, 10:51:
I have little doubt Kerry believes every word he said.

While some people might agree what Snowden did was morally right, that doesn't mean it wasn't technically criminal. Personally, I found his revelations only mildly surprising, if you had asked me if the NSA was doing that stuff prior to the announcements, I would have said something like, "I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me."

Do I think the NSA should have been doing what they were. Probably not. Do I understand the thinking that got them there. Yes. Do I think Snowden did "the people" a favor by revealing this? *shrug* Maybe.

How Kerry replied was frightening, we know "Whistleblowing" isn't working, don't act like it does. And don't tell us he can come back to America and tell his side to the American People. Yeah right, he'll be jailed never to be heard of again.

IMO what Snowden is doing now is the only way for the American People to hear him. Everyone knows this. But you'll actually lie and tell us he'll be free to speak to us. Now you insult my intelligence.

IMO it is very clear who is the real liar here, Kerry. "If he were a Patriot he would stand up to the charges", the only reason he leaked the info the way he did is because whistle-blowing doesn't work and and he hoped to live in freedom after reporting the unconstitutional happenings, which California is going to pass soon laws on the NSA because they are finding what they are doing unconstitutional.

The dude basically sacrificed his quality of life to get the message to us. Even if we don't care, we should know things of this nature. We never built the gov't in the US to be a secretive one, but one that serves. There are so many things going against what our Forefathers warned us about, it's sickening.

Then they try to sell us that he's a "low level derelict", he isn't, we knew he wasn't but that is what they do. Even to people that have worked in the CIA/FBI etc for decades on very high profile cases, if they go rouge, they are all of a sudden sold to us as dumb ass losers.

The NSA spying is debatable, lying about things because you don't like what happened though is never right.

Just tell us everything on the internet/phones is considered public record and due to that it can and will be recorded and be done with it.

But don't sit there and lie to us, imo his rebuttal is one of the most blatant phony replies ever. Almost everything he said would never happen as he says it would if Snowden turned himself in. Jack ass, man I sort of had a flat opinion of Kerry, now he's pretty much unrecoverable to me. Liar.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2014, 19:25.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 16:47 The Half Elf

Think about it.... March 35th, that means we get 4 more days until the dreaded April 1st stories. Not to mention I'll be 66 on the 31st, so I get to have the time of my life!

But question.... beyond the obvious date of the 35th, what if the story is actually true? Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the planetary governments to keep the story hushed as to prevent widespread panic?

Either way... March 31st 2041, party at my house!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 16:35 jdreyer

Average Mars-Earth distance is roughly 225 million kms, so the asteroid seems to be going at ~270ish meters per second. Not real sure that's going to kill the planet.

It's not the speed of the asteroid, but the size. An asteroid the size of Manhattan (12 miles) would certainly cause a mass extinction of all but the most hardy plants and animals, essentially recreating the last mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous in which the dinosaurs and most other megafauna went extinct. The crater itself would be 200 miles in diameter, and so much debris would be in the atmo that global temps would drop to sub-arctic levels worldwide.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 16:14 jdreyer

Creston wrote on May 28, 2014, 12:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 28, 2014, 11:57:
And if that didn't give it away, the asteroid was nudged off course by Mars, and will take 27 years to hit the earth.
Actually, that part could make sense... an asteroid in orbit around the sun, could pass Mars closely causing a change in the orbit which results in a collision with Earth the next pass through the solar system some number of years later.

True, but an asteroid in orbit around the sun would likely already have been discovered.

Best estimates are that most, but not all, have been:

As a result of NEOWISE in 2011, it is estimated that 93% of the NEAs larger than 1 km have been found and that only about 70 remain to be discovered.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 15:57 Cutter

Lousy Smarch weather.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true. You think the gubment would ever release something like that? Maybe a few hours before impact but that's about it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 15:31 Task

What do people expect from - the big 3 people should expect are lazy/shoddy work: Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC.

I give them all an approval rating of 0/5.

Not to mention they believe anything the State department/Pentagon tells them, since they are literally just propaganda stations on their behalf. The Fourth Estate that's supposed to be critical of the government, no matter the party, no longer exists.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 13:29 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2014, 12:52:
It was on their "citizen reported" page, which I think doesn't have much editorial oversight.

And is almost definitely a bad idea.

So they allow anyone to just post random shit on the actual CNN website? That sounds like a great idea.

I guess CNN has never heard of 4chan.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 12:56 Verno

NegaDeath wrote on May 28, 2014, 11:28:
Phew, for a second there I was worried that with the asteroid so far away by the time it gets here Bruce Willis would be too old to be trained on a space drill to deposit a nuke on it. Thanks CNN!

Don't worry, Hillary Swank & Aaron Eckhart are still available for our ridiculous drill purposes.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 12:52 Beamer

March 35th. Okay.

Great editorial work there, CNN. And if that didn't give it away, the asteroid was nudged off course by Mars, and will take 27 years to hit the earth.

CNN: POST SHIT FIRST, WORRY ABOUT WHETHER IT'S TRUE LATER.

It was on their "citizen reported" page, which I think doesn't have much editorial oversight.

And is almost definitely a bad idea.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 12:31 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on May 28, 2014, 11:57:
And if that didn't give it away, the asteroid was nudged off course by Mars, and will take 27 years to hit the earth.
Actually, that part could make sense... an asteroid in orbit around the sun, could pass Mars closely causing a change in the orbit which results in a collision with Earth the next pass through the solar system some number of years later.

True, but an asteroid in orbit around the sun would likely already have been discovered.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 11:57 Mr. Tact

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 11:46 Creston

March 35th. Okay.

Great editorial work there, CNN. And if that didn't give it away, the asteroid was nudged off course by Mars, and will take 27 years to hit the earth.

CNN: POST SHIT FIRST, WORRY ABOUT WHETHER IT'S TRUE LATER.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 11:28 NegaDeath

Phew, for a second there I was worried that with the asteroid so far away by the time it gets here Bruce Willis would be too old to be trained on a space drill to deposit a nuke on it. Thanks CNN!  

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 11:04 [VG]Reagle

Clinton/Lewinsky 2016!!  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo