Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was delighted to find that BJs, which is the local warehouse "club" store we use, recently began carrying Mexican Coca-Cola, a real treat thanks to the use of sugar instead of HFCS as a sweetener. I've only come across this a couple of times over the years, most recently in the local supermarket where it was sold at a pretty hefty by-the-bottle price, and I and haven't seen the sugar-fuelled throwback Pepsi in years, so this is pretty cool.

Sweet Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Beasts Battle.
Dungeon Runner.
Story: "X-Men" Tops Memorial Holiday Box-Office.
Science: Suspended-animation trials to begin on humans. Thanks Digg.
The MacGyver Cure for Cancer.
The Electric Skateboard of the Future Has Finally Arrived.
Images: Europe’s Landscape Is Still Scarred by World War I. Thanks Digg.
Media: Grand Theft Auto V (Commodore 64).
GoPro Strapped A Camera To The World's Largest Paper Airplane.
Adam Savage's Ten Commandments Of DIY. Thanks Digg.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2014, 13:32 Verno

I don't have a particularly unhealthy diet; I just don't waste any energy worrying about what is in the things I do like to consume.

But how would you know then? If you researched your diet then you're not exactly as lax as you implied in your first post.

I mean I don't worry about every single calorie I consume either because life is too short but I generally try to avoid actively unhealthy food/choices in anything but moderation. Is that more what you meant?

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 20:30 Prez

Mad Max RW wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:16:
Prez wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:27:
Screw all that worrying about this, that, and the other thing when it comes to what I eat or drink. It's just so pointless. We all gotta die of something, healthy people too. You may outlive me by 10, maybe even 20 years, but does it really matter in the big scheme of things? I'm going to be happy while I'm here, regardless of how long or short of a time that may be.

I don't know anybody who was happy about cancer and heart disease in the last years of their life, either. But if you want to live them out in agony and doped out of your mind on a mountain of pain pills have fun with that I guess. It's your right not to think ahead.

I don't have a particularly unhealthy diet; I just don't waste any energy worrying about what is in the things I do like to consume. And healthily people get cancer and heart disease all of the time; it's just a crapshoot really, and not one I am going to waste one single solitary minute worrying about.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 13:38 shul

Blue wrote on May 27, 2014, 10:25:
RoboNerd wrote on May 27, 2014, 10:13:
Thankfully Pepsi Throwback is easily and routinely available here in the Heartland. What is harder to find is chocolate syrup that is not made from high fructose corn syrup. Hershey wake up! Protest

I mentioned this when I found it recently, which relates to the post before yours as well. While I have heard many tales of Kosher for Passover Coke using sugar, I have never actually found it. However, around Passover I found Fox's U-Bet chocolate and strawberry syrups each made with sugar so they are Kosher... you may still be able to find some, otherwise, keep that in mind for next year.

+1

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 06:05 InBlack

Creston wrote on May 27, 2014, 17:21:
harlock wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:50:
Creston wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:32:
descender wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:16:
I still enjoy the throwback soda's. They are quite a tasty treat, especially when you don't drink regular soda on a daily or even weekly basis...

You can still enjoy soda even if you don't drink it regularly? How often do you still drink soda? I basically never drink it anymore, and if/when I try to drink even a throwback soda, it's so frakking sweet that it nearly makes me vomit.

yeh i had been cutting back for a while, but over the past year ive had none at all whatsoever... went to the store the other day and figured id pick up one of those "full throttle" drinks for a change of pace (which i used to enjoy quite a bit).. and drinking that was a pretty crazy experience, like getting slapped in the face and punched in the gut - felt odd for about an hour, strange feeling, not nauseous, not sick, just weirdly uncomfortable

one thing i can tell you about not drinking soda for a long while is that my energy level throughout the day is now noticeably more stable and even.. its a pretty significant and enjoyable change

I felt the same way. Sugar is basically just poison...

How many poeple drink soda on a regular basis? What about beer? Drugs? Marijuana? Heroin? Crack? Cocain? Seriously Im not comparing Soda to crack but my point is poeple 'choose' to put poison in their system. Its about choice. Everyone enjoys their poison of choice, and Im fine with that.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 22:53 Cutter

nimski wrote on May 27, 2014, 15:47That's interesting.. I'll have to check some of the packaging. I moved up here from NY and found the soda to taste much better for some reason. I've only had 1-2 cans, but had just assumed it was made with sugar. It doesn't have the chemical aftertaste like US soda does. [/quote:

I think that may have to do with the water. I notice the difference between pop in different regions in Canada and the US, as well as water. It may be all in my head but I would almost swear that most US pop is generally sweeter. And water? Well that depends on the region - same in both countries. Right now I drink bottled distilled water for the most part and some more magnesium laden stuff once a week like Gerolsteiner.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 18:02 jdreyer

Europe’s Landscape Is Still Scarred by World War I.

Also for anyone that's interested I highly recommend Dan Carlin's podcast series on WW1. In fact, I recommend all his podcasts, both Hardcore History and Common Sense. Great stuff for those commutes to work or weekend jogs.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 17:21 Creston

harlock wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:50:
I still enjoy the throwback soda's. They are quite a tasty treat, especially when you don't drink regular soda on a daily or even weekly basis...

You can still enjoy soda even if you don't drink it regularly? How often do you still drink soda? I basically never drink it anymore, and if/when I try to drink even a throwback soda, it's so frakking sweet that it nearly makes me vomit.

yeh i had been cutting back for a while, but over the past year ive had none at all whatsoever... went to the store the other day and figured id pick up one of those "full throttle" drinks for a change of pace (which i used to enjoy quite a bit).. and drinking that was a pretty crazy experience, like getting slapped in the face and punched in the gut - felt odd for about an hour, strange feeling, not nauseous, not sick, just weirdly uncomfortable

one thing i can tell you about not drinking soda for a long while is that my energy level throughout the day is now noticeably more stable and even.. its a pretty significant and enjoyable change

I felt the same way. Sugar is basically just poison...

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 16:04 harlock

nimski wrote on May 27, 2014, 15:47:
Ceribaen wrote on May 27, 2014, 15:07:
nimski wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:38:
I wonder why they choose Mexican versions for importation. Canada is a lot closer (to the NE) and all the soft drinks and candy bars are made with sugar.

Canadian pop uses HFCS as well, it's just labelled different. Glucose-Fructose is HFCS in Canada. For it to be sugar it is Sucrose in ingredient labels.

Sources:
Eat Right Ontario
Canadian Sugar Institute

That's interesting.. I'll have to check some of the packaging. I moved up here from NY and found the soda to taste much better for some reason. I've only had 1-2 cans, but had just assumed it was made with sugar. It doesn't have the chemical aftertaste like US soda does.

thats probably the difference in water processing

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 15:47 nimski

Ceribaen wrote on May 27, 2014, 15:07:
I wonder why they choose Mexican versions for importation. Canada is a lot closer (to the NE) and all the soft drinks and candy bars are made with sugar.

Canadian pop uses HFCS as well, it's just labelled different. Glucose-Fructose is HFCS in Canada. For it to be sugar it is Sucrose in ingredient labels.

Sources:
Eat Right Ontario
Canadian Sugar Institute

That's interesting.. I'll have to check some of the packaging. I moved up here from NY and found the soda to taste much better for some reason. I've only had 1-2 cans, but had just assumed it was made with sugar. It doesn't have the chemical aftertaste like US soda does.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 15:07 Ceribaen

Sources:
Eat Right Ontario
Canadian Sugar Institute

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 14:59 Rattlehead

Screw all that worrying about this, that, and the other thing when it comes to what I eat or drink. It's just so pointless. We all gotta die of something, healthy people too. You may outlive me by 10, maybe even 20 years, but does it really matter in the big scheme of things? I'm going to be happy while I'm here, regardless of how long or short of a time that may be.

I used to have the same attitude as you, eating and drinking whatever I wanted, then I discovered my triglycerides and cholesterol were through the roof a few years ago. A few lifestyle changes like better eating changed that, and both are well below base levels now and my health is so much better.

10-20 years is also a pretty long time, don't know why you just shrug that off.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 14:55 Rattlehead

Oh look beamer once again with his bullshit. I never said idiots drink soda. Where did I say that?  

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 14:34 Mr. Tact

NewMaxx wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:06:
I've put in about 40 trees (including limes, oranges, tomatoes)
Tomato trees?

I drink diet dew, so no HFCS for me -- just cool stuff like potassium benzoate and aspartame! Whatever. Frankly, if it hasn't killed me after 20+ years of drinking in the quantities I do, it can't be that harmful.

Edit: I know, bad logic. A smoker could say the same thing. *shrug*

This comment was edited on May 27, 2014, 14:52.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:50 harlock

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:46 jdreyer

NewMaxx wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:06:
I used to drink a crazy amount of soda and I have to say, I'm a lot better off for moving away from HFCS. Certainly a lot healthier...although it was just one thing of many. Now and then I do enjoy a real-sugar soda, though, one of life's guilty pleasures.

As far as BJ's and these other warehouse clubs go, I grew up in a rural area and only recently moved closer to a major city. I went to check out a Costco here a few months back and, wow, you couldn't PAY me to step foot within a mile radius of that place. It was a bit of an eye-opener realizing how urbanites and even suburbanites get their goods...I'm used to local Mom & Pop stuff, Amish goods, that sort of thing, which was actually cheaper and better all-around. Let's just say since I've moved here I've put in about 40 trees (including limes, oranges, tomatoes). I've found myself moving away even more from processed stuff and especially meats, amazing what one experience will do to you.

Whoa NewMaxx, you're going full hippie on us.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:45 jdreyer

The only time I have it still is on the plane on the few business trips I take each year. And I have the stewardess give me two cups with ice and let it melt and dilute quite a bit before drinking.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:43 Cutter

Yeah, that's about the only way I drink pop anymore, as a mixer with hooch.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:41 Verno

Yeah that's why I can't do pop anymore. It makes those fruit juices for kids (another offender) seem bitter by comparison. If it's heavily watered down or with rum then I can enjoy it a bit but otherwise I would just prefer green tea or something. If it has to be cold I make my own fruit juice that is delicious.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:32 Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 13:16 Mad Max RW

I don't know anybody who was happy about cancer and heart disease in the last years of their life, either. But if you want to live them out in agony and doped out of your mind on a mountain of pain pills have fun with that I guess. It's your right not to think ahead.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo