Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

On one hand we have a basic cable TV channel with one of the most popular shows of the day, and on the other is a premium channel which, in its own right, has one of the top shows on TV as well. The former is commercial-supported, and has to fulfill the expectations of their advertisers by hitting projected ratings numbers, while the latter is subscriber supported, and can ostensibly ignore ratings as long as their customers are satisfied. So why is it that AMC is airing the new episode of Mad Men tonight, while HBO is ducking the Memorial Day holiday this week, so the next new Game of Thrones is next Sunday? It seems in this time of DVRs and repeat viewing that neither show should have to skip a week for this reason, but it seems Mad Men has a better excuse for doing so than GoT.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Battle Cry: Age of Myths.
Run Viking Run.
Story: Drew Goddard Drops Out Of "Daredevil".
Media: WATCH_DOGS (Commodore 64, 1989).
Seth Rogen And Snoop Dogg Get Stoned And Recap 'Game Of Thrones'.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Never state the obvious EXTRALIFE.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 10:37 Ant

Verno wrote on May 26, 2014, 10:21:
Oh it's royalty through advertising all right, its just not paid to the copyright owners There are many similar plugins/apps for various media centers like it, they throw them up onto the stores to make money for awhile then rename and upload under a different developer account after they get nuked.

Personally I just use Plex (a legal/approved app) to stream my own content from home to wherever I am. My girlfriend loves it too, she can watch her crappy Greys Anatomy while waiting at the doctors office.
Hehe. GA and doctor's office. I wished upload bandwidth was better for true HD.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 10:21 Verno

Oh it's royalty through advertising all right, its just not paid to the copyright owners There are many similar plugins/apps for various media centers like it, they throw them up onto the stores to make money for awhile then rename and upload under a different developer account after they get nuked.

Personally I just use Plex (a legal/approved app) to stream my own content from home to wherever I am. My girlfriend loves it too, she can watch her crappy Greys Anatomy while waiting at the doctors office.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 09:43 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on May 26, 2014, 09:31:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 26, 2014, 02:32:
Speaking of TV, I just started using an app for android and plugin for XBMC called "Cartoon HD", which sounds like a cartoon channel, but contains everything from the top 250 imdb films, to game of thrones, tons of anime and cartoon series.. all in HD.

I couldnt believe how well it worked when I first tried on my HTC One, video loaded/buffered almost instantly and playback was in full HD. Quite a gem of a free app, thats for sure. You have the option to either stream or download when you start also, so if youre going to be in a low reception area or have low data caps and want to download on wifi before watching later, it just works.

Most of that is copyrighted shit though and that app will be nuked from both stores. I'm no saint with my entertainment setup but Blue has told people before not to post stuff like this, just a heads up.

It was explained to me as a royalty-through-advertising app, I didn't realize it was of a questionable nature :-/

That's really unfortunate, as I have literally never seen better performance from a streaming app on my phone..

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 09:31 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 26, 2014, 02:32:
Speaking of TV, I just started using an app for android and plugin for XBMC called "Cartoon HD", which sounds like a cartoon channel, but contains everything from the top 250 imdb films, to game of thrones, tons of anime and cartoon series.. all in HD.

I couldnt believe how well it worked when I first tried on my HTC One, video loaded/buffered almost instantly and playback was in full HD. Quite a gem of a free app, thats for sure. You have the option to either stream or download when you start also, so if youre going to be in a low reception area or have low data caps and want to download on wifi before watching later, it just works.

Most of that is copyrighted shit though and that app will be nuked from both stores. I'm no saint with my entertainment setup but Blue has told people before not to post stuff like this, just a heads up.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 05:28 InBlack

Well said Blue. I attribute it to Corporate logic. Its sort of like clerical dogma. It doesnt have to make sense. It just is.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 02:32 Mordecai Walfish

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 23:33 eRe4s3r

Alamar wrote on May 25, 2014, 14:55:
How can your customers be satisfied if they're not there to watch it?

What do you mean? Game of Thrones is always there to watch.. no matter when.... by.. magic

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 22:11 Mr. Tact

Alamar wrote on May 25, 2014, 14:55:
Most techie peeps have DVRs and a lot of their friends/family, but I would guess most people still don't.
You have to figure anyone with satellite tv has one, and most cable systems offer them now. I haven't seen any numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has reached a majority status...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Last night's Orphan Black S2E6 was new. May 25, 2014, 20:59 Ant

It wasn't even a filler. Maybe AMC will show a filler episode of Mad Men. Ha!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 14:55 Alamar

How can your customers be satisfied if they're not there to watch it?

Most techie peeps have DVRs and a lot of their friends/family, but I would guess most people still don't.

-Alamar

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo