Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen at $44M

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website announces a new milestone for Star Citizen, revealing the space combat game has now attracted over $44 million in crowd-sourced funding (thanks oo). They describe the benefits of the new Stellar Cartography feature for players who have pledged before this point, and also outline the Updated Scanning Software that will come if (when?) the project passes the $46 million mark to all who have pledged up to this point. They also have voting in place for what they say will be the game's final stretch goal, which does not include the option to add more goals. Here's word on where things stand as of now:

The final week push to get Arena Commander V.8 out the door has begun here, so I’ll keep this letter short… but I would like to share a piece of concept art. You’re looking at what we call the “negotiation room” in the Banu Merchantman freighter. It’s a place where traders can invite others into their ships, display their cargo (the bay is visible) and make deals!

As we look to the next stages of Star Citizen beyond dogfighting, we’re putting more and more thought into how systems like cargo and trading will take shape. We’re building a system that makes sense, measuring ship interiors, building a standardized cargo container measurement system (see diagram) and determining exactly how cargo will be loaded, unloaded and interacted with in port (and during flight!) As the most recent set of changes to our preliminary ship stats reflect, transporting cargo is going to be more complex than just finding the ship with the highest storage capacity… it’s going to involve finding the right ship type for the job.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 26, 2014, 20:37 Kosumo

SpectralMeat wrote on May 26, 2014, 16:27:
Wtf is this crap

It's all good, It's a pledge, you know, cos we are all having so much fun, go on, give a little more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 26, 2014, 16:27 SpectralMeat

Wtf is this crap  

Steam: SpectralMeat

67. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 26, 2014, 05:30 InBlack

I just wanted to add another 6, to the 66th post above me. That is all.

I have a nifty blue line!

66. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 26, 2014, 01:57 harlock

why do need to keep hearing about each and every funding update for a game that wont be finished for at least 4 more years  

65. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 26, 2014, 01:06 Creston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 25, 2014, 23:46:
I just joined the Blue's News outfit in SC a couple weeks ago and just received an e-mail from another group trying to recruit me instead?

"We have chosen to invite you because your main organization Blue's News is focused on Transport and as we have great exciting opportunities for transporting in deep space. We plan to train our transporter allies and traders and provide them with the best knowledge, the best trade routes, a great market to trade to in deep space, and most importantly protection that will allow them to get rich without the need to worry about anything else."

What?! We need anti-poaching laws! Stretch Goal @ 48 million!

64. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 26, 2014, 00:13 Kosumo

An out-side game gold/credit shop before the product is even lunched? Are we gonna see one of those? (third-party)  

63. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 23:49 nin

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 25, 2014, 23:46:
and most importantly protection that will allow them to get rich without the need to worry about anything else."

All right! Extortion!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

62. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 23:46 Mordecai Walfish

I just joined the Blue's News outfit in SC a couple weeks ago and just received an e-mail from another group trying to recruit me instead?

"We have chosen to invite you because your main organization Blue's News is focused on Transport and as we have great exciting opportunities for transporting in deep space. We plan to train our transporter allies and traders and provide them with the best knowledge, the best trade routes, a great market to trade to in deep space, and most importantly protection that will allow them to get rich without the need to worry about anything else."

61. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 21:15 Jerykk

BadIronTree wrote on May 25, 2014, 13:53:
Jerykk wrote on May 24, 2014, 18:03:
A bit concerned at how little progress this game has made. Elite Dangerous has made significantly more progress with only a fraction of the budget.

They have A lot more money from Private Investors man...

SC refuse to take the 20 million check from an Investor because they don't need Him anymore

Even if that's true, have those investors given Braben $44 million? I doubt it.

60. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 16:53 Mordecai Walfish

Flak wrote on May 25, 2014, 16:42:
Creston wrote on May 25, 2014, 16:08:
I love how you people keep calling him a troll, thus recognizing that he is one, and yet YOU KEEP FUCKING REPLYING TO HIM.

Do you seriously not get that you're being FUCKING TROLLED???

And yet here you are telling us we're being trolled after we discuss how we're being trolled by a poor troll who has not only a history of trolling, but an avatar of it next to his name. I'd appreciate a pure discussion about the actual topic, but since that seems to be a thing of the past on this website...back to the troll chronicles...The circle jerk continues!

Just add to VGReagle to your ignore list guys. There is nothing added to a conversation about Star Citizen by having him around, just F.U.D.

It's not so much the FUD as the blatant lies, misinformation and unnecessary conflation he brings to the table that gets rather stale.

The only addition to his claims here is that the game is obviously "pay to win" because people who backed before a certain data get cosmetic upgrades to their hanger. Again, this is just sewage seeping from an apparently mentally unstable individual. While I do feel a bit of empathy for his obvious mental issues, I don't come to bluesnews to indulge the kind of petulance he represents.

59. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 16:42 Flak

Creston wrote on May 25, 2014, 16:08:
I love how you people keep calling him a troll, thus recognizing that he is one, and yet YOU KEEP FUCKING REPLYING TO HIM.

And yet here you are telling us we're being trolled after we discuss how we're being trolled by a poor troll who has not only a history of trolling, but an avatar of it next to his name. I'd appreciate a pure discussion about the actual topic, but since that seems to be a thing of the past on this website...back to the troll chronicles...The circle jerk continues!

58. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 16:08 Creston

57. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 14:49 Flak

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 24, 2014, 20:30:
loomy wrote on May 24, 2014, 18:54:
chris roberts didn't work on half of freelancer

and elite is not further along than star citizen (which has probably 10x the full time staff)

Roberts not only worked on freelancer but was in charge of it before he sold it off.

LOL, in the interest of preserving your already tired charade here, can you at least attempt to step your game up? Your trolling has gone from passable in random threads to being 'that' user who makes poor snipes at the next big unknown game that everyone is talking about. You're the opposite of the DICE defense force who come out in absolute defense of anything critical of Battlefield (which, although slowly, VERY slowly being fixed, is still mostly a hot mess).

All we ask is you take more than 10 seconds to formulate a troll, maybe base it in some semblance of reality so that the bait has more hook to it and we can get more entertainment from it. Now, as soon as I see an SC thread on BN, I instantly think 'I wonder what lame ass 'trolls' Reagle has lined up for this one'.

Is it sad that these Star Citizens threads have devolved into coaching a troll how to do his job half-decently? %). Another reason I keep coming back to this site after years and years.

56. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 14:17 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on May 25, 2014, 11:40:

Seriously.. are you 4 years old or what.

I assume that is also a rhetorical question.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

55. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 14:14 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on May 25, 2014, 11:37:
Are you a complete frikkin Tool?

I assume that's a rhetorical question.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

54. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 13:53 BadIronTree

Jerykk wrote on May 24, 2014, 18:03:
A bit concerned at how little progress this game has made. Elite Dangerous has made significantly more progress with only a fraction of the budget.

They have A lot more money from Private Investors man...

SC refuse to take the 20 million check from an Investor because they don't need Him anymore

53. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 12:10 Vio

Maybe if their next stretch goal is to cut the game's scope to something that is realistically achievable with their budget i'll buy into the koolaid.

The promise is great but I haven't really seen anything that shouts 'we can deliver'. Nix the gameplay vids when the arena launches I guess. Juggle

52. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 11:40 Timmeh

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:37:
Coolone wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:36:
[VG]Reagle wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:16:
Roberts is a CON MAN. He has constantly oversold games.......

Choo choo! All aboard the hate train!

Its not hate if its true...try to get a copy of Freelancer and let me know how that goes for you.

Freelancer was released in 2003 and I saw it at my local Haistings store for several years. Microsoft owns it and makes the decisions on release. You do realize that even games like Unreal Tournament went for a few years without retail availability before it came back out I digital distribution.

Seriously.. are you 4 years old or what.

51. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 11:37 Timmeh

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:16:
Roberts is a CON MAN. He has constantly oversold games which either were vaporware (Freelancer), were disasters (Wing Commander) or were COMPLETE FRAUDS (Point of No Return).

Step back a second from your nerd powered dreams and actually read the quotes he makes in the latest news letter!! Even you have to realize a cult when you see it.

This is how Cloud Imperial Games works:
Chris Roberts wrote on May 23, 2014, 13:56:
Everyone who pledged for Star Citizen before this point will be getting an additional room added to their hangars, once the modular room system launches

So he is selling imaginary rooms in a space ship that don't exist to drooling nerds, who have tingles shoot up their legs, when his name is mentioned??? Seriously even if such ships existed and even if there were rooms you could get BUYING them is essentially pay to play advantage and no one is going to want to play if you have to buy everything. RIGHT????

Whats going on here?

Whats going on is even if the game is made (which I doubt) everything in Star Citizen is PAY TO PLAY. Winner is the nerd with the most money???

Chris Roberts wrote on May 23, 2014, 13:56:
And the results of the penultimate player reward stretch goal are in! Backers who pledge before $46 million will get an updated scanning software suite from Chimera Communications. Here are the details

So again ITS PAY TO PLAY. Who wants to play a game where you have to buy every item you have and only the people that donate $10,000 get scanning suites and everything else?

AND THAT IS ONLY IF THE GAME ACTUALLY HAPPENS WITHOUT Roberts running off in a yacht with hookers and blow which is what I am predicting will happen. Mark my words nerds...

Are you a complete frikkin Tool?

Millions and millions have played his wing Commander Games and love them. I played 3 of them myself. Con men don't make and release 4 of the most loved games of all time.

Im pretty sure many, many people liked Freelancer even with the Microsoft buyout and delays that happened.

Your posts are just idiotic.

50. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 25, 2014, 11:23 Eirikrautha

Harrowing wrote on May 25, 2014, 11:09:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 24, 2014, 20:51:
The scope of SC is unlike any game we've seen before and that takes time. We'll get to see the first results of that in less than a week with the release of Arena Commander (the Dogfighting Module).

Elite Dangerous has a fraction of the fidelity or complexity, so it should progress a lot more quickly.

All SC has done, for now, is promise features. ANYONE can do that. Please don't talk as if they've already achieved something.
The dog-fighting videos were very disappointing.

On the other hand, Elite has pretty much delivered everything it's been promising without any delays. If it continues like this, we'll be landing and walking on Elite planets before we're actually flying any of the SC ships in the proper game (Arena Commander isn't a proper game).

Also it's very ignorant to call Elite less complex than SC just because it does things differently and doesn't promise every feature under the sun. There's things you can do in Elite that you would never be able to do in SC.

Dude, I hear you, but don't rile up the "believers." Normally sane, skeptical gamers suddenly go all gushy over SC to a degree that I've never seen. I mean, we have people dissing features you can play in the Elite beta based on features promised (or shown in a promo video) in SC. It's like Aliens: Colonial Marines never happened!

I'm seriously expecting the next pledge bonus to be a thermos of "special" Kool-Aid (well, Flavor-Aid, to be more accurate) sent to each backer...

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo