Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

This is the Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S., a somber reflection on the sacrifices of soldiers, and the more frivolous unofficial beginning of summer. I think I am going to *attempt* (note the emphasis) to follow up on an idea I have entertained for years, which is to have "summer hours" here by trying to post the second news roundup of the day earlier than normal on Fridays. Since "normal" can be quite late, this isn't saying much, but the idea is to actually shoot for "early," so we'll see how that goes.

Early Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Lord of the Tower.
Defence of Portal 2.
Demonic Flower.
Link: Hawkeye's New Avengers: Age Of Ultron Outfit Looks A Bit Odd.
Stories: New 'Star Wars' film coming December 2016 from the director of 'Godzilla'. And former PC Gamer EIC. Thanks nin.
J.R.R. Tolkien Reveals TRUE Meaning Of 'The Lord Of The Rings' In Unearthed Audio Recording.
Thousands may have been exposed to hepatitis A at Missouri restaurant.
Science: The Science of Game of Thrones.
Rejected TSA body scanners are now being used in prisons in spite of privacy, health concerns.
Virus experiments risk unleashing global pandemic, study warns.
Media: What Patrick Stewart Would Say To His Younger Self. Thanks nin.
Bring your dinosaur to work day.
Cosmos On Weed with Neil deGrasse Tyson.
"SING-SONG CONTEST OF AMERICA" A Bad Lip Reading of American Idol.
Follow-up: Will Ferrell and Chad Smith Drum-Off.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 18:55 Ant

Creston wrote on May 23, 2014, 11:25:
InBlack wrote on May 23, 2014, 09:40:
No Game of Thrones this weekend!! Arghhhh. Apparently out of respect for Memorial Day. (Although I suspect its due to poor ratings while people are busy doing other things and not watching TV). I fail to see the connection but then again Im not American. Is this sort of thing common in the US??

TV series always skip holiday weekends/weeks in the US. Memorial day, especially, is a very heavily traveled weekend, so it's simple true that there are far fewer people left at home to (potentially) watch your show.
There was a new Orphan Black episode last night though.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2014, 11:56 HorrorScope

Disney has seemed to demonstrate a keen awareness of the Star Wars fatigue many fans felt in the wake of the prequel films, and while the notion of annual standalone films is itself a reason for some concern

Logic in this one?

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 22:59 Cutter

Shineyguy wrote on May 23, 2014, 22:28:
Hey, from what I've seen of your military while I was deployed to Iraq, you fuckers are goddamned nuts!

If anyone ever tried to invade Canada to take the maple syrup, they'll sadly find that the Canadian "kindness" was a front, and Canadians are truly batshit insane and will tear your head off with their teeth.

No, we have just as many psychos in our military as yours it's just less evident in the US given the size of your military versus ours.

I honestly thin we should do away with ours completely and set up sort of deal that anyone here wanting to military service can do it in the US.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 22:28 Shineyguy

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2014, 13:41:
Verno wrote on May 23, 2014, 12:48:
Have fun waving at moose while you lament the Maple Leafs and apologize way too often. Canada, dontchayaknow eh?

Dat maple syrup though!

We run from meese. Most of us hate the Maple Laffs. I'm sorry, but we don't apologize way too often. And Vermont maple syrup is better than K-bec maple syrup.

Speaking of which, I only recently learned that the reason maple syrup is so goddamned expensive is that the producers are engaged in criminal collusion. That's right, they actually hoarde the stuff and dole it out in limited amounts like diamonds in order to inflate the value. They actually have a maple syrup reserve of several million gallons. And somehow this is legal. It boggles the mind.

Dig it.

Maple syrup worth up to $30M stolen in Quebec

The warehouse, in St-Louis-de-Blandford, 160 kilometres northeast of Montreal, held about 3.4 million litres of bulk maple syrup and is part of a global strategic reserve of the sticky liquid.

Global strategic reserve? Yeah, because in time of war or natural crisis the people NEED maple syrup!

Hey, from what I've seen of your military while I was deployed to Iraq, you fuckers are goddamned nuts!

If anyone ever tried to invade Canada to take the maple syrup, they'll sadly find that the Canadian "kindness" was a front, and Canadians are truly batshit insane and will tear your head off with their teeth.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 18:21 PHJF

HBO... has no commercials...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 17:25 Creston

PHJF wrote on May 23, 2014, 15:31:

TV series always skip holiday weekends/weeks in the US. Memorial day, especially, is a very heavily traveled weekend, so it's simple true that there are far fewer people left at home to (potentially) watch your show.

Yeah, my DVR is heading down to NC for a golf outing this weekend Rolleyes

TV execs ignore DVR owners, as the DVR owners don't watch commercials in the first place.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 15:31 PHJF

Yeah, my DVR is heading down to NC for a golf outing this weekend Rolleyes

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 15:04 Mr. Tact

Global strategic reserve? Yeah, because in time of war or natural crisis the people NEED maple syrup!
That sentence is damn funny. I don't know if they were going for a laugh, but they got one out of me.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:56 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2014, 14:39:
Could you link something about that, Vern. I'm not certain I know what you mean. I wouldn't be surprised however. We get screwed on everything up anyway. Cars, food, booze, we always pay way more. In many ways this country is stuck in the 19th century. I love it, but infuriates the shit of me in so many way. I'm going to have to leave it eventually.

Sure, this article dives into what I was referring to which is apparently becoming very common place up there. Basically suppliers holding retailers hostage through threats of holding back product, giving competitors better pricing and legal intimidation.

I'm in Canada on business a good chunk of the year so I'm always shocked at the difference in prices of various goods. I keep a close eye on my grocery budget especially since my living compensation from work only goes so far, I usually spend almost double up there compared to stocking up in New York, especially if I want fresh produce and decent meat.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

15. Re: What Patrick Stewart Would Say to His Younger Self May 23, 2014, 14:54 Mr. Tact

The man never fails to disappoint, the more I see of him the more I like him.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:40 Cutter

Btw gang - big game sale on at Amazon atm. So check your wishlists on Is There Any Deal? Ima prolly grab Port Royale 3 - $5, Duck Tales -$5 and Injustice $7.50.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:39 Cutter

Verno wrote on May 23, 2014, 14:20:
We run from meese. Most of us hate the Maple Laffs. I'm sorry, but we don't apologize way too often. And Vermont maple syrup is better than K-bec maple syrup.

Of course, like you I was being silly with stereotypes that aren't reality, many Americans like good beer, don't beat their chest and don't like guns

I'm actually in Canada all the time for business, love Ontario and Saskatchewan. If you think that maple syrup scam is something, do some reading about what companies are doing with price protection in grocery up there. The sad part is thats all legal somehow. I was appalled at some of the prices you guys pay.

Could you link something about that, Vern. I'm not certain I know what you mean. I wouldn't be surprised however. We get screwed on everything up anyway. Cars, food, booze, we always pay way more. In many ways this country is stuck in the 19th century. I love it, but infuriates the shit of me in so many way. I'm going to have to leave it eventually.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:20 Verno

Of course, like you I was being silly with stereotypes that aren't reality, many Americans like good beer, don't beat their chest and don't like guns

I'm actually in Canada all the time for business, love Ontario and Saskatchewan. If you think that maple syrup scam is something, do some reading about what companies are doing with price protection in grocery up there. The sad part is thats all legal somehow. I was appalled at some of the prices you guys pay.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:17 Alamar

So, Planetary Annihilation is finally down to a reasonable price... Though I'm not sure I'll pick it up at $30... Seems they did add some SP content though, which is what I would play.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:12 Pigeon

Have fun waving at moose while you lament the Maple Leafs and apologize way too often. Canada, dontchayaknow eh?

Dat maple syrup though!

Speaking of which, I only recently learned that the reason maple syrup is so goddamned expensive is that the producers are engaged in criminal collusion. That's right, they actually hoarde the stuff and dole it out in limited amounts like diamonds in order to inflate the value. They actually have a maple syrup reserve of several million gallons. And somehow this is legal. It boggles the mind.

Dig it.

The warehouse, in St-Louis-de-Blandford, 160 kilometres northeast of Montreal, held about 3.4 million litres of bulk maple syrup and is part of a global strategic reserve of the sticky liquid.

You say that now, but if terrorists ever attacked our maple trees there would be chaos. What do you think people will do when they have nothing to put on their pancakes? Riot that's what!

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 13:41 Cutter

Dat maple syrup though!

Dig it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 13:30 NegaDeath

Dat maple syrup though!

Your stereotype is out of date. Now we give the moose a lift and take it for coffee.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 12:56 The Half Elf

nin wrote on May 23, 2014, 10:51:
Ha! Gary's thoughts on Star Wars! He'll be a good fit!

Hard to believe that he use to be the Main Editor at PC Gamer.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 12:48 Verno

Dat maple syrup though!

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 12:37 Cutter

Have fun shooting off your guns, chugging bad beer and waving tiny American flags while you chant USA! USA! USA!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo