Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent

A Forum post by Blizzard designer Travis Day announces that they have heard the clamor, and have decided to make the anniversary buff to the legendary drop rate in Diablo III permanent going forward, instead of reverting to the previous drop rate today as was planned. The double drop-rate for Rift Fragments, however, has just ended as planned. Here's word:

I come bearing exciting news. Due to the overwhelming popularity of our Anniversary buff we have decided to keep the increased Legendary drop rate once the Anniversary celebration ends. Once the buff is disabled tomorrow morning, you will find that the new base line drop rates for Legendary items will be the same as those you have all enjoyed for the last week.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 23, 2014, 11:52 Creston

Prez wrote on May 23, 2014, 05:38:
Creston wrote on May 22, 2014, 11:15:
It's like they've finally figured out that people play Diablo for the fun of finding more loot!

(as opposed to their initial thought of... I dunno? The awesome story or something?)

I give your sarcasm one congratulatory wank!

Only one?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 23, 2014, 09:31 Theo

peteham wrote on May 23, 2014, 03:56:
Theo wrote on May 23, 2014, 02:57:
AngelicPenguin wrote on May 22, 2014, 14:57:
Shouldn't be too bad at this point. I think the odds of bounty cache legendaries have been estimated at 1 in 10 to 1 in 15 BEFORE the buff, and they also get a bump on the torment level you run on now. Obviously just make sure you run only Act 1.

Caches are not effected by the buff or torment level; caches are there own thing, and always have been. (its not like you farm a cache on normal and open it in torment) or anything; nore does the difficulty you get it from matter (the level its farmed at does, thats all for the source item level).

Loot % drop rate calculations only count against things that drop from the world, IE monsters, chests, and breakables.
This is no longer correct. As of patch 2.0.5, playing on T2+ (i.e. NOT T1) increases the chance of getting legendaries from horadric caches.

Ahh sorry my bad, so it does. thanks (all tho not pretty sure split farming loads of caches ina hour is still a good way of getting a ring ;)).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

38. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 23, 2014, 05:38 Prez

It's like they've finally figured out that people play Diablo for the fun of finding more loot!

(as opposed to their initial thought of... I dunno? The awesome story or something?)

I give your sarcasm one congratulatory wank!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 23, 2014, 03:56 peteham

Theo wrote on May 23, 2014, 02:57:
Shouldn't be too bad at this point. I think the odds of bounty cache legendaries have been estimated at 1 in 10 to 1 in 15 BEFORE the buff, and they also get a bump on the torment level you run on now. Obviously just make sure you run only Act 1.

Caches are not effected by the buff or torment level; caches are there own thing, and always have been. (its not like you farm a cache on normal and open it in torment) or anything; nore does the difficulty you get it from matter (the level its farmed at does, thats all for the source item level).

Loot % drop rate calculations only count against things that drop from the world, IE monsters, chests, and breakables.
This is no longer correct. As of patch 2.0.5, playing on T2+ (i.e. NOT T1) increases the chance of getting legendaries from horadric caches.

36. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 23, 2014, 02:57 Theo

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

35. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 22:25 Mr. Tact

You do realize that happens regularly, right? Look at MMOs. I'd have to play twenty hours a week of D3 for years before I'd catch up to the time I spent on WoW.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 20:09 HorrorScope

I don't get how people get stuck playing the same game for so long. But we all are different.

33. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 18:26 xXBatmanXx

100% of .1% is not that much. Doesn't matter anymore anyway - time limited trading with online group and bound items. Garbage.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 16:08 Verno

Yakubs wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:53:
Sigh. So I guess the ideal for you would be to log in, instantly get a level 60 paragon 200 character with all BiS items so you can try out all the builds?

Your selective reading is amusing but no, I don't mind farming otherwise I wouldn't be playing Diablo. I do like actually achieving the goals I set in the game which are heavily reliant on specific itemization (even moreso in this iteration of Diablo) and I don't mind it taking 250 hours instead of 300. I don't subscribe to your rigid definition of what ARPGs are either, I enjoy both the gameplay and the itemization but its very subjective. There are some classes that are pretty to play even while leveling and there are others that only shine when you hit certain builds with certain items.

There's the journey, there's the destination and Blizzard has catered to those who want only the destination, as fast as possible, to disastrous results (disastrous relative to the potential D3 had considering the legend of D1/2). This is supposed to be a Diablo game, not World of Warcraft. The entire purpose of these sorts of games is to farm for items while making do with incomplete and imperfect builds. That's literally the crux of the genre.

Except that's not what happened. You still have a very low chance of getting good items, it's not like they all exist perfectly rolled in a vacuum and are just waiting for you to play 3 rifts with the buff and shazam. Your rant ignores the fact that with or without the buff it is still extremely difficult to make a "complete" build for one class, let alone all classes. That's without going into the ongoing balance shifts within the game and other content additions. As someone who grinded the shit out of both games it is still very much a Diablo game and people aren't handed T6 on a platter or something. I've had extremely good luck and extremely poor luck both with and without the loot drop, it is all still very much RNG.

The game has far more important flaws to be focusing on, particularly related to itemization. When you have half of the dropped weapons practically unusable due to the piss poor gem design, the amount of legendary drops as a complaint is laughable by comparison.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2014, 16:15.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

31. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 15:53 Yakubs

Verno wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:05:
Do I really need to spell out "time enjoyably spent" for you? Especially considering I already did in the text you quoted. Come on. I am quite ok with them upping the drop rate as many builds are item-centric now and I would rather actually enjoy using the build as opposed to waiting forever for items to drop so I can play the specific build I'm interested in.

I don't think Diablo is a mediocre game anymore since adventure mode, its just bordering on "good" and is pretty fun in a group setting. I certainly enjoy it more than other ARPG games on the market but of course that won't last forever and as I said I don't really want it to.

They're finally adding back ladders, more items and a bunch of other stuff in content patches so I'm sure the game won't get boring because of the drop rate. And if it does, oh well, they can adjust it. It wouldn't be the first time.

Sigh. So I guess the ideal for you would be to log in, instantly get a level 60 paragon 200 character with all BiS items so you can try out all the builds?

The entire purpose of these sorts of games is to farm for items while making do with incomplete and imperfect builds. That's literally the crux of the genre.

Drop rates were already insane on legendaries before this buff which changed the nature of the game from what I just described to "let me grind until I have 'complete' a build and then, uh, do something else." Raising drop rates even further makes this even worse.

There's the journey, there's the destination and Blizzard has catered to those who want only the destination, as fast as possible, to disastrous results (disastrous relative to the potential D3 had considering the legend of D1/2). This is supposed to be a Diablo game, not World of Warcraft.

30. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 15:27 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:12:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:11:
AngelicPenguin wrote on May 22, 2014, 14:46:
I actually thought the drop rates pre-buff were fine and during the buff were rather absurd. It's not unusual at all to get out of a rift with 5+ legendaries.
Once again, I guess my luck just sucks. Getting 5 legendaries in a single rift would be extremely unusual for me. I'd say one is about average. I haven't kept careful stats, but I said it's roughly equal chances of getting none, 1 or 2 -- with a small chance, maybe 5% of getting 3 or more from a single rift(T1/T2).

I average about the same, I'd say 1-2...last week, the night the buff went live, I played for like two hours and didn't have a single orange drop.

I ran T6 pretty much exclusively in the buff, so maybe my numbers are a tad inflated. I did run T5 last night with my brother (he's not geared well enough for 6), and our final tally after an hour and a half was 22 legendaries for him, 17 for me (not counting Kadala.)

Just an FYI, the drop rates in rifts are so buffed now, a really solid idea is to kill the guardian, then just speed around the map looking for chests and elites and only do those.

29. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 15:12 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:11:
I actually thought the drop rates pre-buff were fine and during the buff were rather absurd. It's not unusual at all to get out of a rift with 5+ legendaries.
Once again, I guess my luck just sucks. Getting 5 legendaries in a single rift would be extremely unusual for me. I'd say one is about average. I haven't kept careful stats, but I said it's roughly equal chances of getting none, 1 or 2 -- with a small chance, maybe 5% of getting 3 or more from a single rift(T1/T2).

I average about the same, I'd say 1-2...last week, the night the buff went live, I played for like two hours and didn't have a single orange drop.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 15:11 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 15:05 Verno

Yakubs wrote on May 22, 2014, 14:14:
Time spent != how good the game is. I'd rather play 5 hours of a great game than 100 hours of a mediore game. D3 is a mediocre game and spamming Legendary drops doesn't change that.

Do I really need to spell out "time enjoyably spent" for you? Especially considering I already did in the text you quoted. Come on. I am quite ok with them upping the drop rate as many builds are item-centric now and I would rather actually enjoy using the build as opposed to waiting forever for items to drop so I can play the specific build I'm interested in.

I don't think Diablo is a mediocre game anymore since adventure mode, its just bordering on "good" and is pretty fun in a group setting. I certainly enjoy it more than other ARPG games on the market but of course that won't last forever and as I said I don't really want it to.

They're finally adding back ladders, more items and a bunch of other stuff in content patches so I'm sure the game won't get boring because of the drop rate. And if it does, oh well, they can adjust it. It wouldn't be the first time.

26. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:57 AngelicPenguin

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2014, 11:44:
Verno, I wish I had your luck. I tired Verno's advice on RRG, I'm over 50 act one caches with that method, plus whatever I had before without a ring. *sigh*

Getting a decent four person group together who can clear T3 or T4 can really make it fast. Load up speed skills and burst damage skills, and you can pretty easily get a bag in under 5 minutes. Just skip everything but what you need for the bounty.

I played with only my brother (who had rarely played) and we got him a ring in under an hour (decent one with a socket.) And this was just two people with him not knowing how to clear them quickly. He said "look one of the legendaries is a ring." I had to explain to him that that was entirely what we were looking for during these runs.

25. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:46 AngelicPenguin

There are some really rare ones, however, and many are BIS for certain builds so I suppose that hunt will remain (looking at you Starmetal.)

I really enjoy the game, though. I'm concerned that I'll find everything I want to find a bit faster than I had hoped. I already put my wizard on hold since there wasn't anything else I was that interested in finding (Wand of Woh I did NOT find, but that weapon just doesn't appeal to me - too loud and spammy.)

There is the content patch and balance patch coming though, which could change a lot of things.

24. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:14 Yakubs

PropheT wrote on May 22, 2014, 12:54:
Yakubs wrote on May 22, 2014, 12:08:
Legendary drop rates were already ridiculously high before this buff. Just playing a few hours here and there before I got bored with the game again netted me almost an entire stash page full of legs.

That doesn't really do you any good, though. That stash page full of legendaries will get you the materials to re-enchant the stuff you're actually wearing, but you could drop a few more pages full of them before replacing any of your gear once you're actually wearing all set/legendaries. I haven't replaced a piece of gear on my crusader in weeks, but still don't have best in slot items or a single class set piece.

And? You've proven my point. In their mission to make the game's itemization more fun (which is a good mission to have), they've decided to approach it by devaluing Legendary items to the point that they're now glorified mats, just like whites/blues were supposed to be. Fixing the itemization was going to take a lot more than a few item brainstorming sessions, some graphic work, and cranking up a drop rate.

Verno wrote on May 22, 2014, 14:10:
I don't want to play Diablo 3 forever, there are other games out there. I'd rather enjoy my time in it than have it be drawn out even further in a genre that is already known for grinding.

Time spent != how good the game is. I'd rather play 5 hours of a great game than 100 hours of a mediore game. D3 is a mediocre game and spamming Legendary drops doesn't change that.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2014, 14:22.

23. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:10 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2014, 11:44:
Verno, I wish I had your luck. I tired Verno's advice on RRG, I'm over 50 act one caches with that method, plus whatever I had before without a ring. *sigh*

Sorry dude, its just a numbers game, you'll get it. Do a rift to break it up a bit, it gets monotonous after awhile.

It's more short-sighted design from the D3 team really. Do they expect there to be anyone left playing in ~3 months given that everyone will be full-on BiS within a couple weeks at this point?

To do T6 reliably you need a really optimized build with really optimized gear (or uh, be a WD) which isn't as easy as farming for a few hours, try adding a few hundred hours to your estimate. If any ARPG gives me 200 hours of gameplay then I call that a bargain. I don't want to play Diablo 3 forever, there are other games out there. I'd rather enjoy my time in it than have it be drawn out even further in a genre that is already known for grinding.

22. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:09 jacobvandy

Lesaonar wrote on May 22, 2014, 13:45:
nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:06:
I'm assuming that doesn't include patterns? Wish it did, but still glad they're keeping the buff.

I got more patterns than anything else during the event.

As mentioned, the drop rate for plans specifically was boosted with the 2.0.5 patch last week. So add onto that the double drop rate for legendaries in general, and yeah, they were everywhere. I must have just about all of them now.

21. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 13:59 Fantaz

harlock wrote on May 22, 2014, 12:41:
almost ready to buy now.. need a nice over %50 sale

me too... waiting for the expansion to hit at least 50%+ off. i already got a couple lvl 60 characters in the base game with 400+ hours logged.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo