Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed

Steam News announces the release of Wolfenstein: The New Order, a new installment in the alternate-history series of supernatural first-person shooters. Word is: "Wolfenstein: The New Order reignites the series that created the first-person shooter genre. Under development at Machine Games, a studio comprised of a seasoned group of developers recognized for their work creating story-driven games, Wolfenstein offers a deep game narrative packed with action, adventure and first-person combat." Some reviews of the game are now online to help decide about this one (thanks nin), you can read evaluations on Ars Technica, AusGamers, CraveOnline, CVG, Destructoid, EGM, Eurogamer.net, The Escapist, GamesBeat, GameInformer, GameSpot, GamesRadar (video), IGN, Joystiq, NowGamer, Polygon, Shacknews, TIME.com, TotalBiscuit (NSFW video), USgamer, and VideoGamer. Finally, the launch has not been completely problem-free, and PC Gamer has an outline of problems players have encountered with the Windows version, along with possible solutions and workarounds, noting that most of them seem to be the result of issues with video drivers that will hopefully be addressed by AMD and NVIDIA. Here's more on the game itself:

Intense, cinematic and rendered in stunning detail with id® Software’s id Tech® 5 engine, Wolfenstein sends players across Europe on a personal mission to bring down the Nazi war machine. With the help of a small group of resistance fighters, infiltrate their most heavily guarded facilities, battle high-tech Nazi legions, and take control of super-weapons that have conquered the earth – and beyond.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 22:21 Quboid

harlock wrote on May 21, 2014, 21:11:
is it worth a buy?

That guy's really wearing thin. The whole "get on with it Mack" tangential rambles would work once or twice an episode but he spends as much time on irrelevant crap. It doesn't make the game look too good, although he really over romanticises the original Wolfenstein.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 21:11 harlock

is it worth a buy?

62. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 17:34 NKD

Just a note for anyone wondering, SLI doesn't work with this. There's an "SLI profile" in recent beta drivers, but the profile just forces single card mode.

id Tech 5 engine doesn't play nice with SLI, evidently.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

61. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 16:36 Quboid

He often only uses one (beast of a) card for recording, apparently capturing SLI content can be unreliable. It looks a fair bit better than Rage, but that's not saying a great deal. I'd expect it to even if the engine is identical to Rage's, with a couple of years' newer hardware to target and, from what I've seen, smaller spaces to decorate.

Perhaps this is my love for Id Software and Carmack speaking but it's possible that Id Tech 5 is too far ahead of its time. When we have enough video memory (or fast enough RAM -> VRAM transfer) for all these unique textures to be displayed properly, perhaps then mega-textures will adopted by Unreal Engine 7 and artists will get free reign with their texture art [he says, pushing at the limit of his understanding of megatextures]. Another possibility is that Id Tech 5 is a turkey. I mustn't rule that out.

- Quboid

60. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 08:31 Marvin T. Martian

Trevellian wrote on May 20, 2014, 08:33:
So far the reviews have been unexpectedly and surprisingly high.
But I mean they did focus on single player so who knows. Maybe it actually is a decent game.

A good single player is exactly what alot of people want. As soon as AMD/Nvidia update their drivers, will be picking this up.

59. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 07:34 netnerd85

Cram wrote on May 21, 2014, 00:16:
netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 00:13:
Fantaz wrote on May 20, 2014, 11:23:
one thing that i noticed from the TB video linked earlier is the poopy texture res. the game is nearly 50GB and with poop textures?! what's taking up all that space then? uncompressed streaming audio?
Probably his PC, the textures take up 33GB, so... stop.

TB is running dual Titans...
Well he is a total biscuit? Haven't had much popping myself yet. Maybe, he, like me, was unable to find the advance settings... it was late, what can I say... looks good, the textures are amazing compared to RAGE.

58. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 02:05 saluk

Dang. Wasn't looking forward to this but it looks like a pretty sweet 90's era fps reboot. Not sure where to slot it on my playlist...  

57. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 00:16 Cram

netnerd85 wrote on May 21, 2014, 00:13:
one thing that i noticed from the TB video linked earlier is the poopy texture res. the game is nearly 50GB and with poop textures?! what's taking up all that space then? uncompressed streaming audio?

TB is running dual Titans...

56. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 00:13 netnerd85

55. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 23:46 netnerd85

"I had to pick up items and ammo, whhaaaa", stupid lazy console kiddy reviewers.  

54. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 22:00 nin

Didn't get to play long tonight (patch took forever), but I like what I see, so far...great first impression.

edit: Sound seems especially good...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

53. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 21:49 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on May 20, 2014, 18:51:
Yosemite Sam wrote on May 20, 2014, 17:00:
Looks like some good old school fun time. Only thing that gives me pause after watching the TB video is an apparent lack of bad guys in the levels. Seems TB enters a huge area, kills maybe a dozen (if that) bad guys and the place is clear, are the areas that underpopulated?

Several reviews have said that it does ramp up in the later parts, to the point where it can quickly overwhelm you.

Sweet.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

52. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 20:28 HorrorScope

if they spent more time on the singleplayer and the game is indeed 15-20 hours then the replayability should still be enough to warrant the asking price.

It's hard for any game to justify $60 given the new market, then being <20 hours.. it better be some good as game playing. IMO the market/expectations have changed.

51. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 19:06 Fletch

Mr. Tact wrote on May 20, 2014, 09:31:
Speaking of which here it is.

"It does what it does well" -TB

So does an old Walkman cassette player.
If meaningless, inane proclamations don't turn you off TB... he also liked Thief.

50. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 18:51 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 20, 2014, 17:00:
Looks like some good old school fun time. Only thing that gives me pause after watching the TB video is an apparent lack of bad guys in the levels. Seems TB enters a huge area, kills maybe a dozen (if that) bad guys and the place is clear, are the areas that underpopulated?

Several reviews have said that it does ramp up in the later parts, to the point where it can quickly overwhelm you.

49. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 17:47 Mr. Tact

It looks promising and I want to support single player games, but the curmudgeon in me wants to wait for a sale.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

48. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 17:06 Scheherazade

Agent.X7 wrote on May 20, 2014, 14:30:
MindStalker3 wrote on May 20, 2014, 12:10:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 20, 2014, 10:58:
InBlack wrote on May 20, 2014, 10:56:
After Rage, anything on that engine is a no buy for me.
What did it have sex with your mother? Not the best engine in the world, but what's your particular issue to it?

You asinine comment aside, iDtech 5 is a piece of shit engine. The "megatextures" take up ridiculous amounts of hard drive space and look horrible unless it is distant scenery. Textures pop-in because of the way the engine streams. Rage, for all the hype about megatextures, looked awful. The textures were muddy and low rez like they were from a decade ago.

I never had texture pop-in issues.
I had to see it on youtube clips.
Then again, my drive setup is on the fast side of things, and on-demand loaded games are generally seamless for me.

I was bothered by losing the ability to stare at textures up close and see the improvement over previous gen.
But then again, once I got to playing the game, I never stared that close anymore, so it didn't really matter.

My gripe with the game wasn't technical.
It was that Rage was 'fallout without the compelling universe', or 'borderlands without the co-op'.

-scheherazade

47. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 17:00 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

46. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 16:46 Cram

Picked this up as well, completed the first three chapters last night. Pretty much exactly what I expected, so I'm pleased. I echo NKD's thoughts. I do have some minor issues but nothing that has ruined the experience for me...yet.  

45. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 16:19 NKD

Picked this up. Pretty good fun so far. Solid shooter, fantastic art style. On the hardest difficulty it's even reasonably challenging. Not much more to say really. It's a Wolfenstein game. You kill Nazis.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo