Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the updated weekly list of bestselling games on Valve's Steam service:

1. DayZ
  2. Watch Dogs
  3. Arma III
  4. Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends
  5. Dark Souls II
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Space Engineers
  8. Age of Mythology Extended Edition
  9. The Stanley Parable
  10. Wolfenstein: The New Order

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2014, 02:32 xXBatmanXx

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2014, 23:44:
There's no easy way to track hours played per sale. However, the fact that DayZ has stayed in the top 5 (usually top 2) sellers for months speaks volumes of its longevity.

Fads generally don't have any longevity. Goat Simulator was in the top 10 for what, a month? Now it's disappeared. You may not enjoy DayZ but the sales numbers (over 2 million last I checked and not including sales of ArmA2 that stemmed from the mod) prove that you are in the minority.

I have a lot of friends in my list that own DayZ, only a very few have more than a couple hours......that speaks enough for me.

I also have about 30 minutes. Was enough to know the game sucks.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 14:37 BitWraith

Pretty much my friend. This is why H1Z (or whatever it is) has my attention, because DayZ is a piece of shit.  

51. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 14:35 Beamer

BitWraith wrote on May 19, 2014, 14:32:
jacobvandy wrote on May 19, 2014, 14:02:
It takes 25 minutes to run across the map and meet up with your buddy, you really didn't even get to start playing!

I don't have any buddies playing this, so I'd say my time was pretty much 25 minutes of running around aimlessly, not seeing anything, and wondering why I was wasting my time with this.

Mine was running aimlessly, seeing one guy, finally seeing zombies, getting bored at how much time I spent with nothing happening, running into zombies, trying to pick up an ax to kill zombies, realizing the ax was just there for decoration, trying to run into a room, realizing the door was just there for decoration, never playing again.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 14:32 BitWraith

jacobvandy wrote on May 19, 2014, 14:02:
It takes 25 minutes to run across the map and meet up with your buddy, you really didn't even get to start playing!

I don't have any buddies playing this, so I'd say my time was pretty much 25 minutes of running around aimlessly, not seeing anything, and wondering why I was wasting my time with this.

49. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 14:04 Beamer

BitWraith wrote on May 19, 2014, 13:24:
Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 15:04:
DayZ has become a meme like Minecraft did. It's become the current in-thing so people want to be part of it. What I'd really love to see is the average play time clocked by everyone who's recently jumped on board this bandwagon.

Grabbed State of Decay and Lego Marvel yesterday on Humble. So far I like SoD. And holy crap does Lego ever look good running maxed at 144HZ.

I fell for it. I think my play time logged by steam is about 25 mins.

25 minutes in DayZ?
That's about what I had. It was enough to let me know I felt like playing something more structured.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 14:02 jacobvandy

47. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 13:24 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 15:04:
DayZ has become a meme like Minecraft did. It's become the current in-thing so people want to be part of it. What I'd really love to see is the average play time clocked by everyone who's recently jumped on board this bandwagon.

Grabbed State of Decay and Lego Marvel yesterday on Humble. So far I like SoD. And holy crap does Lego ever look good running maxed at 144HZ.

I fell for it. I think my play time logged by steam is about 25 mins.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 11:54 Slashman

I'm keeping my eye on Starforge. I can't take the look of Minecraft. I just don't know why Notch hasn't made a Minecraft 2 that looks 10x better. He has more than enough money by now.  

45. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 10:37 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on May 19, 2014, 07:04:
I would REALLY love you to name a game that out-minecraft's Minecraft. Just one. Something with destructible terrain, multiplayer, the amount of content and player agency. If there is a game that surpasses it and makes it look terrible x2 I will apologise to you right here.

If you were talking cultural phenomenon status I would say the only franchises that come close to Minecraft would be the Sims or World of Warcraft. What Minecraft does better than any other game is it engages not so much "gamers" (though I know a bunch of them who still play) but entices the imaginations of the "creators", the "tinkerers", and many other of traditionally non-gamer types by being every bit as much of a toy and imagination sandbox as game.

I wouldn't really call Minecraft a 'game' per se, but more of a sandbox. Yes, there's 'survival' mode, but I would wager a guess that the mass majority of players do creative mode. The only actual goals of Minecraft is to just build, it would be basically just taking the building portion of The Sims and removing all of the other aspects.

I would liken Minecraft to digital Legos, while there are 'templates' that you can follow, the real fun comes with just going crazy and building whatever you want.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 10:14 Bard

fatguy wrote on May 18, 2014, 17:48:
Seems more like the in thing to hate on DayZ. It's the popular reaction in every thread online that mentions it.

that's because it's using the arma engine which is utter crap.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 09:26 netnerd85

That's a solid top 10 I can agree with, more or less... I guess  

42. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 07:04 Prez

I would REALLY love you to name a game that out-minecraft's Minecraft. Just one. Something with destructible terrain, multiplayer, the amount of content and player agency. If there is a game that surpasses it and makes it look terrible x2 I will apologise to you right here.

If you were talking cultural phenomenon status I would say the only franchises that come close to Minecraft would be the Sims or World of Warcraft. What Minecraft does better than any other game is it engages not so much "gamers" (though I know a bunch of them who still play) but entices the imaginations of the "creators", the "tinkerers", and many other of traditionally non-gamer types by being every bit as much of a toy and imagination sandbox as game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 06:50 Numinar

Icewind wrote on May 18, 2014, 16:59:
Actually yes, he means meme. It's the current subject of all the funny clips, funny in-jokes amongst the chan crowd and is the current "hip game du jour" that your chan/reddit posers play to seem cool to their friends.

Minecraft was and still is a terrible, terrible game that was surpassed by others but what pushed into the spotlight by the pathetically monstrous power of the chan crowd. They take dorky little pieces of filth like that game and Day Z, and throw their internet hipster weight behind them, making them something they weren't meant to be.

Go ahead, think the game is some high-minded exercise in software exellence, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence is aware that it's just there due to chantard meme-ization

Waiting. Seriously, I was going to by Transistor this week but will go for this awesome game if it exists.

Seriously, I've spent money on worse looking for the next thing (Space Engineers for example). I'm not even trolling you. I want a creative/survival MP game that works better than Minecraft, so I can give the developer my money. Maybe it's more toy than game, but maybe the best games are. Playing inside an unlimited amount of lego is actually a really cool concept, or as you said, a "high-minded exercise in software excellence"

I have hundreds of hours on it and consider them all well spent. It's popular in the meme-world because it's not a handholding, scripted obstacle course like every other game, shit can happen in it that can be new and interesting. With most PC games the only thing worth youtubing is a sick bug or glitch.

Let me know when you find that game.

40. removed May 19, 2014, 05:45 f3likx

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 19, 2014, 08:31.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 05:22 Luke

jacobvandy wrote on May 19, 2014, 00:27:
Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 23:22:
Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2014, 19:18:
And you make this assumption based on... what, exactly? Your own personal distaste for the game? According to Steam's concurrent player stats, the highest concurrent player count for DayZ was 45,398. Today's peak was 30,001. While obviously a decrease (which is common among most games), the numbers still suggest a high level of retention for a game that's been out for months.

And you make that assumption based on what? 2 peak numbers? Those numbers are a pittance. And I said I'd like to see what the average hours played versus total sales are, not concurrent players today. And what does that even mean anyway if they were only online for 30 minutes? I know a metric shit ton of people who bought Minecraft because its popular and ended up feeling ripped off after an hour. You're confusing sales numbers with quality and longevity.

Lmao, yeah, being in the top 10 most active games on Steam is a pittance. I suppose you don't have a game there because it's not worth your time, right? There are only so many DayZ owners, if the majority of them played for 30 minutes and then quit for good, you would not have a chance in hell for 30,000 of them to randomly be playing at the same time.

BTW, according to Steam Charts, which has been tracking player counts every hour for every game since July 2012, DayZ has been played for a total of 13.2 million hours. That's an average of 6.5 hours per person who owns it. Hmm, it appears that's only the last 30 days, too... I'm gonna try to find somewhere that has a measure of the total number of hours played, all-time.

BTW, according to Steam Charts, which has been tracking player counts every hour for every game since July 2012

and peps just looove to have a straw up there a.. Flush

38. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 00:58 Redmask

I know a metric shit ton of people who bought Minecraft because its popular and ended up feeling ripped off after an hour.

I suspect there's an absolutely massive rate of attrition and most people have probably never played more than a few hours at most

I don't believe you know a metric ton of people, let alone people who play Minecraft and who confided in you that they felt ripped off by it and went on to explain their reasons. That sounds like fiction.

I don't even care for Minecraft but it is insanely popular and anything that sells 50 million copies is going to have a high rate of attrition.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 00:27 jacobvandy

And you make this assumption based on... what, exactly? Your own personal distaste for the game? According to Steam's concurrent player stats, the highest concurrent player count for DayZ was 45,398. Today's peak was 30,001. While obviously a decrease (which is common among most games), the numbers still suggest a high level of retention for a game that's been out for months.

And you make that assumption based on what? 2 peak numbers? Those numbers are a pittance. And I said I'd like to see what the average hours played versus total sales are, not concurrent players today. And what does that even mean anyway if they were only online for 30 minutes? I know a metric shit ton of people who bought Minecraft because its popular and ended up feeling ripped off after an hour. You're confusing sales numbers with quality and longevity.

Lmao, yeah, being in the top 10 most active games on Steam is a pittance. I suppose you don't have a game there because it's not worth your time, right? There are only so many DayZ owners, if the majority of them played for 30 minutes and then quit for good, you would not have a chance in hell for 30,000 of them to randomly be playing at the same time.

BTW, according to Steam Charts, which has been tracking player counts every hour for every game since July 2012, DayZ has been played for a total of 13.2 million hours. That's an average of 6.5 hours per person who owns it. Hmm, it appears that's only the last 30 days, too... I'm gonna try to find somewhere that has a measure of the total number of hours played, all-time.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2014, 00:48.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 00:04 Primalchrome

My kids and the kids of a number of other parents I know still play Minecraft from time to time. Sometime they play creative....sometimes they play survival....sometimes they play arenas online...sometimes they play "Hunger Games" mod....sometimes they jump on their friends hosted servers to goof around and play together. There is a significant playerbase regardless of your distaste for the mode of play and the weak numbers being bandied about in this thread.

Everyone adult gamer that I know that bought Minecraft and dropped it after 30 mins lacked creative drive for the most part. Minecraft at release was less a game and more of a sandbox. In it's current iteration, there is a game involved...but it is still heavily entrenched in the players imagination and ability to create. None of this is a negative...just a difference in approach and perception. All that said, even creative adults are going to have a hard time keeping enough interest to break 40 hours of game time....especially with the 3rd generation sandboxes to be found in the market today. EQLandmark anyone?

35. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 23:44 Jerykk

There's no easy way to track hours played per sale. However, the fact that DayZ has stayed in the top 5 (usually top 2) sellers for months speaks volumes of its longevity.

Fads generally don't have any longevity. Goat Simulator was in the top 10 for what, a month? Now it's disappeared. You may not enjoy DayZ but the sales numbers (over 2 million last I checked and not including sales of ArmA2 that stemmed from the mod) prove that you are in the minority.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 23:22 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo