Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 21:41 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on May 17, 2014, 11:19:

I'd love to hear an intelligent, well moderated debate on the subject. That seems unlikely to happen -- people on the extremes of both sides seem to be overstating their cases. I've seen arguments on either side eviscerated.

What you wrote here can be said about almost any politically-charged topic. Personally I'm skeptical of the global warming hysteria - it smacks of the same kind fear-mongering that led us to getting the Patriot Act and the unprecedented privacy invasion of the NSA. Being scientifically-minded myself it seems pretty undeniable that there is some level of warming going on, but giving the woefully inadequate amount of meaningful data (in an ecosystem as complex and old as ours our current data set is infinitesimally small) and lack of acceptably accurate climate models, saying we can accurately predict the level and extent of future climate change is beyond dubious to me. That's not even mentioning how skeptical I am of the science that attributes the lion's share of the warming to anthropomorphic causes when there is zero data sets to compare to (no baseline to illustrate what the climate would be doing without the presence of humanity under the current ecological conditions.)

This comment was edited on May 17, 2014, 21:52.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 14:21 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on May 17, 2014, 11:19:
I suspect there is currently a global warming trend, though I'm not convinced how desperate the situation is or that the warming is being significantly exacerbated by humans. I've heard/read both that there is unprecedented melting of ice in Antarctica and a huge build up of ice.

I'd love to hear an intelligent, well moderated debate on the subject. That seems unlikely to happen -- people on the extremes of both sides seem to be overstating their cases. I've seen arguments on either side eviscerated.

One half of Antarctica is losing ice, and the other half is gaining ice. The ice that is being lost outpaces the ice that is being gained.

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 11:19 Mr. Tact

I suspect there is currently a global warming trend, though I'm not convinced how desperate the situation is or that the warming is being significantly exacerbated by humans. I've heard/read both that there is unprecedented melting of ice in Antarctica and a huge build up of ice.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 11:00 xXBatmanXx

100% of California now in ‘severe’ drought or worse.

meh, we just got over a 10+ year drought in the Midwest. Deal with it. Oh you mean that state that is on fire - the one where nature says "you aren't supposed to live here". Any place that has BILLIONS of gallons of water pumped in a day is probably not somewhere you should build your home.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 10:04 Mad Max RW

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2014, 05:00:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2014, 23:50:
jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 23:08:
Freshwater is a huge problem in the USA and will only become moreso. Global warming is desertifying large tracts of the midwest. By 2050, Nebraska will be as hot as Arizona, then where will we grow our food? Canada with it's poorly angled sunlight and short, short growing seasons? The Ogallala reservoir is being drained unsustainably. Snowpacks which feed rivers like the Colorado and supply water to Cali's valleys is less and less each year due to global warming. Already bottled water is more expensive than gasoline. A nationwide plan needs to be developed, since right now all we have are state-by-state plans which will devolve into "I got mine" when it comes down to it.

Why hello, Al Gore.

Typical wingnut, all ad hominem, all denial of yet another massive problem because it doesn't jibe with his ideology or supposedly injures "the market." The reality is we fucked ourselves by adding way too much CO2 to the atmo, and now we need to figure out a way to deal with it. Problem?

So, what's your solution douchenozzle? Deny that there's an issue? Or charge everyone $5 per cup of water and let "the market" work as intended?

My solution is to rant about it on video game forums.

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 06:13 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on May 17, 2014, 05:49:
whoa, JD flingin' out the hatorade. haven't seen that before. usually you're one of the most level headed people here (and intelligent) people here.

Yeah, my bad. I've had a few beers, so my commentary is not as moderated as it usually is. But this is a serious issue that requires serious thought to solve, not some flip Al Gore remark. I got pissed.

You live in So Cal, don't you? What do you think?

Lastly, speaking of beers, I've seen some blogs organize get-togethers. It would be cool of we could do a Blues News meeting at some beer garden. I'll be in Orange County next week on business, and I know a bunch of the regulars live there (and I'm sure 10x more lurkers do to). It would be way cool to meet up and put faces to site names, if folks are so inclined. Anyway, I'm probably violating some massive internet privacy protocol by even suggesting it, but some of the coolest people I know are on this site, so wanted to throw it out there.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 05:49 1badmf

whoa, JD flingin' out the hatorade. haven't seen that before. usually you're one of the most level headed people here (and intelligent) people here.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 05:10 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on May 16, 2014, 09:40:
RUMOR: Unedited Original Star Wars Trilogy Coming to Blu-Ray.

OH GOD OH GOD. CAN'T BREATHE. PAPER BAG PLEASE.

If true, I may, I say may actually buy a blu-ray player.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2014, 05:00 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2014, 23:50:
Freshwater is a huge problem in the USA and will only become moreso. Global warming is desertifying large tracts of the midwest. By 2050, Nebraska will be as hot as Arizona, then where will we grow our food? Canada with it's poorly angled sunlight and short, short growing seasons? The Ogallala reservoir is being drained unsustainably. Snowpacks which feed rivers like the Colorado and supply water to Cali's valleys is less and less each year due to global warming. Already bottled water is more expensive than gasoline. A nationwide plan needs to be developed, since right now all we have are state-by-state plans which will devolve into "I got mine" when it comes down to it.

Why hello, Al Gore.

Typical wingnut, all ad hominem, all denial of yet another massive problem because it doesn't jibe with his ideology or supposedly injures "the market." The reality is we fucked ourselves by adding way too much CO2 to the atmo, and now we need to figure out a way to deal with it. Problem?

So, what's your solution douchenozzle? Deny that there's an issue? Or charge everyone $5 per cup of water and let "the market" work as intended?

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 23:50 Mad Max RW

Why hello, Al Gore.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 23:41 Prez

Creston wrote on May 16, 2014, 17:18:
mag wrote on May 16, 2014, 16:26:
There is a large Californian desalinization plant that was built during the last long drought that was mothballed when the drought abruptly ended. Last I heard was that they're working on getting it set to run.

That's good, but obviously only a solution for California. The entire US needs to prepare for a "what if".
I was in the submarine force and all of our water came from an evaporator about the size of car (just a REALLY tall one). It ran almost constantly but with proper conservation aboard ship (no 30 minute "Hollywood" showers) we had enough potable water for 160+ guys on a six month deployment. It seems to me that this simple and relatively inexpensive system could be adapted for larger commercial use failry easily. The biggest problem would be getting people to conserve, since they don't have to follow captains orders.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 23:08 jdreyer

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 23:01 jdreyer

nin wrote on May 16, 2014, 16:45:

For some reason, outside of maybe Batman (and maybe a little Sups), I've never been a huge fan of the DC universe. The only thing I can figure is, with so many of their heroes coming from the golden age, by todays standards, their powers seem goofy or out of date. Green Lantern being able to make various things, Wonder Woman's golden rope, etc, etc...

So the idea of a Justice League movie sounds (to me) like a disaster.

Maybe I just grew up with a strong Marvel influence/bias, I dunno.

I agree with this. Marvel heroes have always appealed to me more due to their more flawed and quirky natures. They always seemed more human to me, which made it seem more likely that I could actually be one.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 21:29 mag

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2014, 19:43:
1badmf wrote on May 16, 2014, 19:00:
water isn't a huge problem for the country as a whole; just need the infrastructure to transport it, which i suspect would be cheaper than building dozens of desal plants. we get most of our water adequately from rainfall and runoff and deficits can be made up by transporting excess from areas with high amounts, like the north and NE this winter.

desalination will always be expensive. it's not like it's a new technology that needs to mature. economies of scale will only help a little bit, but if we relied on that california food prices would still be sky high. also climate scientists predict a strong el nino event this winter which means abnormally high rainfall for the SW.

For the southern US fresh water is a massive problem right now and only getting worse. What's more important? Oil companies like Exxon getting 5 billion a year in tax subsidies when they're making 40+ billion a year in profits? Or fresh water and food? The MIC getting close to a trillion dollars a year in tax dollars? Or fresh water and food? Etc. etc. etc. Call me crazy but I'm all for fresh water and affordable food.

Continuing to try to grow all of the nation's food in what we now know is historically a desert is not desirable long term. Desalinization, if we need to go that route, should be a disincentivized stop-gap as food production moves to places that can support it naturally.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 21:21 1badmf

uh... what? where did i mention anything about MIC? i was just talking about building infrastructure to move water from where it's in excess to where it's needed. let's keep the crazy on the low end for now ok? i've had enough of it IRL at the moment.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 19:43 Cutter

1badmf wrote on May 16, 2014, 19:00:
water isn't a huge problem for the country as a whole; just need the infrastructure to transport it, which i suspect would be cheaper than building dozens of desal plants. we get most of our water adequately from rainfall and runoff and deficits can be made up by transporting excess from areas with high amounts, like the north and NE this winter.

desalination will always be expensive. it's not like it's a new technology that needs to mature. economies of scale will only help a little bit, but if we relied on that california food prices would still be sky high. also climate scientists predict a strong el nino event this winter which means abnormally high rainfall for the SW.

For the southern US fresh water is a massive problem right now and only getting worse. What's more important? Oil companies like Exxon getting 5 billion a year in tax subsidies when they're making 40+ billion a year in profits? Or fresh water and food? The MIC getting close to a trillion dollars a year in tax dollars? Or fresh water and food? Etc. etc. etc. Call me crazy but I'm all for fresh water and affordable food.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 19:00 1badmf

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 17:18 Creston

mag wrote on May 16, 2014, 16:26:
There is a large Californian desalinization plant that was built during the last long drought that was mothballed when the drought abruptly ended. Last I heard was that they're working on getting it set to run.

That's good, but obviously only a solution for California. The entire US needs to prepare for a "what if".

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 16:49 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on May 16, 2014, 16:36:
jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 13:29:
InBlack wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:30:
Eisenberg = Fail. We will witness the Lex in all his Eisenbergian glory. Seriously this guy basically portrays the same character in every single film Ive seen of him. So I guess Lex Luthor is going to be an intelligent, self-centered hipster nerd?? Great....

I know, was Benedict Cumberbatch not available? Also, Lex Luthor again? Aren't there any other Superman villains besides Lex and Zod?
The Gentleman Ghost!

That Batman mash-up cartoon was kind of fun for introducing so many DC characters, but it also somewhat showed us how most are kind of awful (and, interestingly, still made them loveable despite this.)

But yes, for DC, I love Batman, I kind of hate everything else, including Superman.

Besides Batman and Superman, the rest of the villians in the DC universe just suck.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2014, 16:45 nin

The Half Elf wrote on May 16, 2014, 16:36:
jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2014, 13:29:
InBlack wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:30:
Eisenberg = Fail. We will witness the Lex in all his Eisenbergian glory. Seriously this guy basically portrays the same character in every single film Ive seen of him. So I guess Lex Luthor is going to be an intelligent, self-centered hipster nerd?? Great....

I know, was Benedict Cumberbatch not available? Also, Lex Luthor again? Aren't there any other Superman villains besides Lex and Zod?

Besides Batman and Superman, the rest of the villians in the DC universe just suck.

For some reason, outside of maybe Batman (and maybe a little Sups), I've never been a huge fan of the DC universe. The only thing I can figure is, with so many of their heroes coming from the golden age, by todays standards, their powers seem goofy or out of date. Green Lantern being able to make various things, Wonder Woman's golden rope, etc, etc...

So the idea of a Justice League movie sounds (to me) like a disaster.

Maybe I just grew up with a strong Marvel influence/bias, I dunno.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo