Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - Video Game Preorders Are Out Of Control.
Of all the things wrong with it, I think the worst is just the embarrassment. Hey, gamers. This is what companies think of you. All your HYPE and message board partisanship and obsessive need to pre-order (though note most of these editions don't need a preorder, but come on) a game based on a title and a trailer has led us to this, the stage where a company like Ubisoft can lay this out, look at it with a straight face and think, yup, some of these suckers will pay up, just like they always have.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2014, 14:42 Ant

I never preorder, but I do want free samplers like betas, demo(nstration)s, etc. to see if I like them before paying!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2014, 05:47 hello newman

Extremely pertinent kotaku post.
I was saying the same thing to a friend the other day.

Besides some DLC (which is usually a hat or something) you get the preorder in your hands the same day nowadays. on steam or at the store.

preorders are money in advance for retailers.

kickstarter could be the same thing but looks more like an investment without shares

33. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2014, 05:45 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:12:
It didn't help that I was really hyped for that.... it taught me a valuable lesson. Now I only buy stuff I absolutely want to play

Shouldn't the valuable lesson have been: read reviews and watch Let's Plays before buying?

That's kinda implied by that I can't know what I want to play until I seen a let's play.. ;p Reviews on the other Hand.... I have peculiar tastes when it comes to games and reviews usually never mention the issues that would be issues for me....

But since to me, Kickstarter/Pledging is "buying" too, I have to make some concessions. In the end, I really want to play D:OS and Pillars of Eternity, no matter the reviews. And watching let's plays of an RPG like PoE would be... a bit.. weird. I rarely if ever see Let's plays where the people play like I would

32. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 23:21 Prez

Green Man Gaming gave me the new XCOM by Firaxis for a $29 pre-order deal, which was a pretty big discount. It took a few months for the game to reach that price again after release iirc. That's about the only reason I'll preorder a game.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 18:46 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 17:57:
Couple with the fact that most games don't even do preloads so what the point?

Discounts. It's not uncommon for pre-orders to give you 25-30% off.

30. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 17:59 Creston

Obviously I only preordered those games where it mattered to me, and where they said they would allow preloads.  

29. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 17:57 Cutter

Couple with the fact that most games don't even do preloads so what the point?  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

28. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 15:19 Creston

PHJF wrote on May 13, 2014, 15:09:
When's the last time any of you wanted a video game that was sold out?

Yeah, that's obviously never an issue with digital.

The only reason I sometimes had for preordering was the ability to preload. My internet connection is slow enough that it takes me 2-3 days to download a game, so if I want to play on release day, preordering and getting the preload was worth it.

But since X:Rebirth, I'm not doing that anymore.

27. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 15:17 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:44:
Creston wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:34:

Yeah, I had about 300 hours put aside for playing it, and it wound up being 4. At least it helped me clear some backlog of old games.

Interestingly enough, they released the big 2.0 beta update today, with a lot of new options in it.

How did you "put aside" 300 hours? Did you take a month of vacation or something?

No, basically I'd said "For the next month and a half, I'm playing nothing but X:Rebirth."

26. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 15:09 PHJF

The last preorder I did was... never?

When's the last time any of you wanted a video game that was sold out?
(Gamestop's tendency to stock no more than 3 copies of anything but Call of Duty and Madden games notwithstanding)

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:47 jdreyer

Unless there's a need to secure a physical copy of something, there should never, ever be any reason to pre-order anything, ever.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:44 jdreyer

Creston wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:34:

Yeah, I had about 300 hours put aside for playing it, and it wound up being 4. At least it helped me clear some backlog of old games.

Interestingly enough, they released the big 2.0 beta update today, with a lot of new options in it.

How did you "put aside" 300 hours? Did you take a month of vacation or something?

23. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:43 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:12:
It didn't help that I was really hyped for that.... it taught me a valuable lesson. Now I only buy stuff I absolutely want to play

Shouldn't the valuable lesson have been: read reviews and watch Let's Plays before buying?

22. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:35 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:30:
Tumbler wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:45:
Mine was X:Rebirth.. and you can likely guess my current stance on pre-orders

Yeah...that really sucked. I think the hardest thing to deal with is that even if the game worked perfectly the controls on the spaceship and how you traveled between systems was terrible. What stopped me from playing was the constant need to travel on those dumb highway tubes and the fact that I could never look at the map and see where I was going. Plenty of other stuff wrong as well but every time I'd try and look around, explore I couldn't figure out how to understand where I was going and what was around me.

Today's beta update actually changed both those things (the highways and the map.)

No idea how the new stuff works, I'm not subscribed to the beta patches, but maybe... just maybe...

Don't make us hope... ;p Not gonna reinstall the game unless there is MASSIVE praise here for it....

21. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:30 Creston

Tumbler wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:12:

Yeah...that really sucked. I think the hardest thing to deal with is that even if the game worked perfectly the controls on the spaceship and how you traveled between systems was terrible. What stopped me from playing was the constant need to travel on those dumb highway tubes and the fact that I could never look at the map and see where I was going. Plenty of other stuff wrong as well but every time I'd try and look around, explore I couldn't figure out how to understand where I was going and what was around me.

Today's beta update actually changed both those things (the highways and the map.)

No idea how the new stuff works, I'm not subscribed to the beta patches, but maybe... just maybe...

20. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:12 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 14:03 Task

I usually only preorder physical game copies, like Final Fantasy special editions, stuff like that.  

18. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 13:48 Luke

Everything with DLC sucks pretty easy no need for pre order or anything
Book

17. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 13:39 NKD

Not much point in pre-ordering in the era of digital distribution. You don't need to guarantee a copy for yourself, and you have a slew of reviews available to you right off the bat.

Just wait and see what people have to say, then decide whether or not to buy. Seems fairly simple and you'll rarely end up with a shitty game.

That's why my Steam library is like 300 games and not 1500.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 13:36 yonder

Right now, there are only two established companies that I pre-order from. Paradox and Bethesda. And that's because I routinely play hundreds upon hundreds of hours with each of their games. Yes... Paradox had some severe growing pains, but they're mostly past that at this point, and I hold them to the new standard whereas before I honestly considered it funding a studio to finish a game that was awesome but unfinished. But of course this was back when the ENTIRE studio was a dozen or so people. A grand total of NO ONE else was going to make those types of games so I truly didn't mind.

Of course, this only holds to games by these two studios, not by their publishing parents... obviously.

I so fund a FEW Early Access and Kickstarter games. I think I can count the total number of games funded that way on two hands. And Towns was the closest I came to getting screwed although considering that I consider that a FUN game already... I don't consider that as getting screwed. It wasn't the game they envisioned, but it was still a fun game. I'm okay with that. Tho the Towns 2 commentary rubbed me the wrong way.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo