Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds

EA News has an "Update on EA Titles Hosted on GameSpy," admitting they don't yet have a plan to preserve multiplayer support in some of their titles impacted by the impending shutdown of GameSpy services. They say they are hoping the community can participate in finding a solution, but in the meantime they announce they have nothing to announce in this regard:

GameSpy announced earlier this month that they would be ending all hosted services for games, which impacts the online capabilities of a number of older titles, including some from EA.

Since GameSpyís announcement, our teams have been working to evaluate options to keep services up and running. Unfortunately, due to technical challenges and concerns about the player experience, we do not have a solution at this time. Online services for EA games on the GameSpy platform will be closed down at the end of June.

We know some of these games are still fan favorites, including Battlefield 2, Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Command & Conquer games. We are still investigating community-supported options to preserve online functionality for these titles, such as multiplayer. Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we donít have anything to announce.

For the full list of titles impacted by the change, visit the EA Online Services Updates page here.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 23:54 Creston

They say they are hoping the community can participate in finding a solution

"because we really don't plan on spending any time, or God forbid any MONEY, on this."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising May 11, 2014, 11:15 Rattlehead

Did you really expect EA to actually give a damn? Due to technical challenges my ass, it's all boils down to the dollar.  

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising May 11, 2014, 05:07 Darth Guybrush

Yes it is unfortunate that with the loss of GameSpy and their servers we are a lesser people. Not worthy of continuing gaming because one or more publishers went with what at the time was the best non - and let me be blunt here - NOT Windows Live solution.

Now there are MANY others. Steam included. But who is to say Steam is eternal? I hope to hell it is as a primarily PC gamer. Origin pts pfft. U-Play points pffft (better rewards here however tangible they may seem).

Micro$oft? Nothing but comptempt. I delayed moving to Win8 now forced onto 8.1 - lots of great games not only do not work in multi-player but refuse to launch at all.

Hardware wise I am what 3 years old? Something is wrong here.

GameRanger allows multiplayer for many older games if you want it. I was never a MP fan (arse whipped or doing same to an even NEWBIER player is not fun).

But millions of gamers love these so...

Steam? Team with GameRanger?

What I am trying to say is :

Would you just turn off the life support for someone you love because you did not immediately have the cash on you to save their life? Or would you battle for an alternative?

==
Steam: Darth Guybrush
XBox Live: Darth Guybrush

23. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 04:57 tootbrush

Fantaz wrote on May 11, 2014, 00:28:
R.I.P. C&C

shutting down the ability to play multiplayer C&C (Generals/Zero Hour/RA3/etc) is like killing the franchise completely. and with no new C&C game coming out now it's just over, the end. there will just be a few hardcore people playing on VPN, but that will be all.
Nah, multiplayer for the C&C games won't die. If EA doesn't do anything, people in the community are developing community-supported multiplayer solutions, sort of like what XWIS and CnCNet are for the older C&C games. Even BFME has working multiplayer again.

22. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 02:20 DukeFNukem

Slick wrote on May 10, 2014, 22:13:
yeah, i mean that's bullshit but i can't help but wonder which of the people posting here actually play any of the games affected online.

have you guys taken a look at that list? some of those titles i have and haven't played in 5+ years, and when i did i was lucky to find 10 active servers.

there should still be a legacy service to support these titles obviously, but how butthurt are you actually because you can't play them anymore? name one title that you actually play online from that list and i'll eat my words

The point your making is irrelevant. If these greedy ass companies had left the power of putting up servers in the hands of the communities then people could play this whenever they were in the mood for it. Maybe in 10 years someone wants to play one of these games to recapture some childhood memories. So it's about playing whenever you want.

10 active servers is 10 more servers than your going to be able to find when GameSpy shuts down completely.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

21. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 01:42 Ant

BobBob wrote on May 10, 2014, 20:08:
Doesn't Kali still work or ... ?
Yes, but for very OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD games!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 01:41 Ant

All these games.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 00:29 Redmask

For some reason I thought this EA shill account had been abandoned a while ago.

Yep hes a worthless clown. No one plays old games am i rite!!! I don't care if I play it once every 10 years, its not like keeping a listing server running is some immense resource drain on a company and they sold the functionality in the packaged product.

18. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 11, 2014, 00:28 Fantaz

R.I.P. C&C

shutting down the ability to play multiplayer C&C (Generals/Zero Hour/RA3/etc) is like killing the franchise completely. and with no new C&C game coming out now it's just over, the end. there will just be a few hardcore people playing on VPN, but that will be all.

17. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 22:59 HoSpanky

BF1942 and Red Alert 3 (co-op). Still playing back thru it with a buddy, one of the most absurd games ever. Love the insanity of it all.  

16. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 22:49 TheVocalMinority

Slick wrote on May 10, 2014, 22:13:
there should still be a legacy service to support these titles obviously, but how butthurt are you actually because you can't play them anymore? name one title that you actually play online from that list and i'll eat my words

For some reason I thought this EA shill account had been abandoned a while ago.

I still play BF1942 on occasion - the local Forgotten Hope/Secret Weapons server has the full 80 players of an evening (have to make sure you get in early to get a game). I think Qtracker will still be able to be used after the shut-down though as they maintain their own server lists separate from Gamespy?

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

15. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 22:13 Slick

yeah, i mean that's bullshit but i can't help but wonder which of the people posting here actually play any of the games affected online.

have you guys taken a look at that list? some of those titles i have and haven't played in 5+ years, and when i did i was lucky to find 10 active servers.

14. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 20:29 NewMaxx

GameRanger is what we use these days, but it doesn't have support for some of these proprietary titles (naturally). Of course, some games require dedicated, non-player servers, and will need a different fix.  

13. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 20:08 BobBob

Doesn't Kali still work or ... ?  

12. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 17:16 KilrathiAce

Fault is in that company called GLU, they are solely responsible for Gamespy shutting down after purchasing it few years back.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 16:27 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on May 10, 2014, 12:41:
Community can help? Even though you don't believe in community mods.
Precisely. The solution is to either update those games to use the Origin or Steamworks backends. Neither of which are tasks the community is capable of helping with. So I'm not sure what exactly EA is expecting from the community, unless they want us to go the Tribes route and create an unofficial master server that emulates Gamespy.

10. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 15:37 Beelzebud

Hey EA is just a small 'mom and pop' outfit without the resources for something like this, cut them some slack.  

9. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 15:13 walrus1

"We don't like mods.... unless they save us money."  

8. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 15:04 BobBob

Why can't they simply open source the Gamespy browser / servers / protocols?  

7. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 14:19 CJ_Parker

"Investigating" = EA speak for "would you fuckers kindly forget about the existence of our GameSpy games already?!?"  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo