Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 12, 2014, 22:59 Mordecai Walfish

NKD wrote on May 11, 2014, 17:19:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 11, 2014, 12:23:
I miss the Nintendo vs Sega days..

I don't. Console exclusives being constant rather than an exception was lame as fuck. You basically HAD to have both consoles or you were missing out.

A valid point. That part I certainly do not miss.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 23:44 NKD

Bundy wrote on May 11, 2014, 22:50:

I have hope for the PC version of Watch Dogs. While Rockstar has always given PC some pretty mediocre ports, Ubisoft usually delivers, UPlay notwithstanding. The last few AC ports have been solid. Visually far better than what u see on console.

Ubi is definitely pretty good at delivering a good PC port. I don't really see any reason Watch Doge would be an exception. The last like, 7 or 8 titles I bought from Ubi were solid PC ports that were visually much more impressive than their console counterparts.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

25. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 22:50 Bundy

Fantaz wrote on May 11, 2014, 02:59:
ForgedReality wrote on May 10, 2014, 17:42:
The Half Elf wrote on May 10, 2014, 13:48:
1080p I believe, but at 60fps on a PS4.... call me skeptical.

Because it doesn't use half of the graphical details and effects of which the game is capable. If you want all that, you play on PC.

given the spec requirements for Watch Dogs on PC it will likely run like shit. might be badly coded for PC platform, like GTA4 was.

Steele Johnson wrote on May 11, 2014, 01:31:
Who cares? It's probably the last generation of consoles anyway.

da fuq? who said that? i hope for a PS5 at least.

I have hope for the PC version of Watch Dogs. While Rockstar has always given PC some pretty mediocre ports, Ubisoft usually delivers, UPlay notwithstanding. The last few AC ports have been solid. Visually far better than what u see on console.

24. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 17:19 NKD

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 11, 2014, 12:23:
I miss the Nintendo vs Sega days..

I don't. Console exclusives being constant rather than an exception was lame as fuck. You basically HAD to have both consoles or you were missing out.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 12:23 Mordecai Walfish

avianflu wrote on May 11, 2014, 10:53:
It is a darned shame that both new consoles arent more hardware kickass.

This may be the first time that I dont bother with a console, which is saying something.

360/ps3 was my first console generation I skipped since the NES. I miss the Nintendo vs Sega days.. MS vs Sony is much less interesting

22. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 10:53 avianflu

It is a darned shame that both new consoles arent more hardware kickass.

This may be the first time that I dont bother with a console, which is saying something.

21. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 10:13 HoSpanky

harlock wrote on May 11, 2014, 03:10:
given the spec requirements for Watch Dogs on PC it will likely run like shit. might be badly coded for PC platform, like GTA4 was.

yeh from the specs it looks like they are counting on the hardware to do all the heavy lifting, which almost always means its poorly optimized

like the HBAO thing.. i feel like its just barely supported, so they can make a bullet point for marketing.. i bet it will tank framerates on everything except superbeast machines

If it wasn't an Ubi game, I'd be inclined to agree. But Ubi hasn't just been making "good enough" pc ports. Far Cry 3, recent Asscreed games...they run fantastically and look so much better than the console versions, it's as if you're playing a sequel.
It's still possible Watch Dogs will be relying on hardware. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions, given Ubi's track record in the last couple years.

20. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 04:34 nin

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2014, 04:30:

Because we'll all be playing Call of Dooty 13 on tablets in 2020? Not sure why you think this is the last console generation.

Yeah, 10 million new consoles sold in 6 months, but "herp derp, consoles dead"...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 04:30 jdreyer

Because we'll all be playing Call of Dooty 13 on tablets in 2020? Not sure why you think this is the last console generation.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 04:27 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on May 11, 2014, 00:33:
Tumbler wrote on May 11, 2014, 00:06:
It's hard to believe that MS pursued the whole Kinect angle without a killer app being developed behind the scenes. I assumed they had something big in the pipeline that justified all this emphasis on Kinect because without that very important piece of software the Kinect is a gimmic.

Are you kidding? It is entirely believable, look at what they did with Kinect over the past 3 years, nothing. They chased the shitty Wii motion market, hoping to cash in on the casual craze of the moment. It's classic Microsoft, react to other market leaders moves way too late. I have no problem believing they were dumb enough to not only include Kinect yet again but try to shove it on people without any supporting software. That's what Microsoft does, they ship half assed products and try to fix them later.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a minute. Just hold on.

Did you forget about Steel Battalion Kinect? Totally justified the cost of picking up Kinect.

17. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 04:23 jdreyer

Ms needed to lead the charge of why Kinect is important and it appears they are not doing that.

Hmm, something not right with that sentence.

*pulls out pencil*

Ms needed to lead the charge of why Kinect is n-o-t important and it appears they are not doing that.

There, fixed.

16. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 04:07 jdreyer

When you're riding in the elevator with the doors closed, the game runs at 60fps. Problem, Halfie?

15. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 03:10 harlock

yeh from the specs it looks like they are counting on the hardware to do all the heavy lifting, which almost always means its poorly optimized

like the HBAO thing.. i feel like its just barely supported, so they can make a bullet point for marketing.. i bet it will tank framerates on everything except superbeast machines

14. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 02:59 Fantaz

ForgedReality wrote on May 10, 2014, 17:42:

Because it doesn't use half of the graphical details and effects of which the game is capable. If you want all that, you play on PC.

da fuq? who said that? i hope for a PS5 at least.

13. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 01:31 Steele Johnson

12. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 00:47 Beamer

They thought tv was the killer app, recognizing the huge gap with cable boxes. Sadly, that solution doesn't seem impressive. Even though the Wii ultimately fell flat on its face, they seemed to think they could take those sales. It's a strategy that clearly alienated the main fan base.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 00:33 Redmask

It's hard to believe that MS pursued the whole Kinect angle without a killer app being developed behind the scenes. I assumed they had something big in the pipeline that justified all this emphasis on Kinect because without that very important piece of software the Kinect is a gimmic.

Are you kidding? It is entirely believable, look at what they did with Kinect over the past 3 years, nothing. They chased the shitty Wii motion market, hoping to cash in on the casual craze of the moment. It's classic Microsoft, react to other market leaders moves way too late. I have no problem believing they were dumb enough to not only include Kinect yet again but try to shove it on people without any supporting software. That's what Microsoft does, they ship half assed products and try to fix them later.

10. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 00:06 Tumbler

Ms needed to lead the charge of why Kinect is important and it appears they are not doing that. Worse still, if they were not going to lead with their own software then they should have partnered with someone to make something. It appears they didn't even do that. There is nothing of note that uses the Kinect yet and I can only assume MS is saving all that stuff to show at E3...right? I mean they have to have a few things to use that thing...right?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 10, 2014, 21:36 Trevellian

nin wrote on May 10, 2014, 21:02:
Cutter wrote on May 10, 2014, 20:49:
In short, MS got caught up in its own hubris and they realize it now. And as much as it may gall them to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong - which they'll never do anyway and just call it a "readjustment" or some such marketing BS - they pretty much have to or it's all over but the crying.

Which is totally ironic, considering how hobbled the PS3 launch was by price, hubris, and their various comments (people will work extra to buy a PS3, Trenton saying he'll pay money for people finding a ps3 in stock, etc)...

I can only hope that sony remembers the hard lessons learned...

They did remember, hence the PS4

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

8. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 10, 2014, 21:02 nin

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2014, 20:49:
In short, MS got caught up in its own hubris and they realize it now. And as much as it may gall them to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong - which they'll never do anyway and just call it a "readjustment" or some such marketing BS - they pretty much have to or it's all over but the crying.

Which is totally ironic, considering how hobbled the PS3 launch was by price, hubris, and their various comments (people will work extra to buy a PS3, Trenton saying he'll pay money for people finding a ps3 in stock, etc)...

I can only hope that sony remembers the hard lessons learned...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo