Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Lots of excitement in the first round of the draft last night. I'd have preferred the Giants go O-line with their pick, but if Odell Beckham turns out to be a game-breaker, I will deny I ever said that. I think I my affection for the draft actually relates to computer gaming, because back in the day I played dozens of simulated baseball seasons where we drafted from historical players, so I tend to view the draft almost like a game unto itself.

Drafty Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ricochet Kills 4.
Crystallium Wars TD.
7 Days Without Rain.
Links: Fast food workers around the world to strike on May 15.
Stories: Hollywood blasted for 'supersizing' Godzilla.
Science: Coffee May Help Eyesight. I can spot a Starbucks a mile off.
Human Experience Cannot Be Modelled On A Computer. Thanks Slashdot.
Did an impact knock the Moon on its side?
Media: Game Of Thrones Theme Song On Wine Glasses, Pans and a Water Jug.
Slow-motion tattoo.
The Sausage Thief!.
Follow-up: (Cato Institute) Scientists Label White House Climate Report ‘Pseudoscience. Thanks Roger.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2014, 01:23 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 10, 2014, 00:27:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2014, 14:39:
We were much better off in the 50s-70s.

When the money is spread amongst a large group of people, it gets spent.
When it's concentrated amongst a small group of people, it gets hoarded.

The wealth disparity is literally strangling our economy, not to mention the issue of the actions many take to acquire more wealth.
Ah the 50's through the 70's, where unemployment rates were low, and you could quit a job at 8am and have a new one by 10am. Before there was global competition, and companies had to buy/make/manufacture everything from bottom to top in the same country.

Admittedly a problem.
but it isn't just globalization. The 50s and the 70s, when there was essentially a salary cap (outside of equity), and the people at the top had less incentive to send wages overseas because the savings couldn't get passed back to their paychecks. When the top paid guys in a company only made 50x what the lowest paid did, so basically everyone had money, so reducing the cost of good wasn't as important.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2014, 00:55 nin

jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2014, 22:53:
OH. MY. GOD. This is SO AWESOME:

Web host gives FCC a 28.8Kbps slow lane in net neutrality protest

Seems like more of a PR grab than anything, but it's a shame it won't catch on with others...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2014, 00:27 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2014, 14:39:
We were much better off in the 50s-70s.

When the money is spread amongst a large group of people, it gets spent.
When it's concentrated amongst a small group of people, it gets hoarded.

The wealth disparity is literally strangling our economy, not to mention the issue of the actions many take to acquire more wealth.
Ah the 50's through the 70's, where unemployment rates were low, and you could quit a job at 8am and have a new one by 10am. Before there was global competition, and companies had to buy/make/manufacture everything from bottom to top in the same country.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

40. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 22:53 jdreyer

OH. MY. GOD. This is SO AWESOME:

Web host gives FCC a 28.8Kbps slow lane in net neutrality protest

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 22:32 nin

jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2014, 21:23:
Every time an update is late, I always fear the worst.

Hopefully a night out for the brother's b-day. But yeah, I worry a little, too. That would normally constitute an early evening update - not that we need one.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 21:23 jdreyer

Every time an update is late, I always fear the worst.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 19:03 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2014, 17:51:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:20:
PHJF wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:03:
When America was at its peak it had strong unions, trade protectionism, and corporations and the rich actually paid taxes.

When America was at its peak, it actually made stuff.

Those things are actually kind of connected.

It's actually a misconception that the US doesn't manufacture anything. Although there are many fewer manufacturing jobs than in the past (due to replacement via automation), the output has been growing year over year for the past 40 years. The US is still the second largest manufacturing economy in the world. China only became number 1 last year, and their manufacturing expansion has come at great cost: socially, environmentally, governmentally, etc. They have few workplace safety laws, few pollution laws, no social security system, etc. etc.

Yeah, but they used to be heavily unionized and/or paid a living wage and benes. That all ended with the beginning of NAFTA. Then is was 'take every cut we throw at you or we'll send your job to Mexico or Asia.' Which is why we've been losing ground since Reagan/Thatcher/Mulroney.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 18:34 xXBatmanXx

Coffee May Help Eyesight. I can spot a Starbucks a mile off.

Cause they are every mile? badmupcha.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:51 jdreyer

When America was at its peak it had strong unions, trade protectionism, and corporations and the rich actually paid taxes.

It's actually a misconception that the US doesn't manufacture anything. Although there are many fewer manufacturing jobs than in the past (due to replacement via automation), the output has been growing year over year for the past 40 years. The US is still the second largest manufacturing economy in the world. China only became number 1 last year, and their manufacturing expansion has come at great cost: socially, environmentally, governmentally, etc. They have few workplace safety laws, few pollution laws, no social security system, etc. etc.

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:45 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on May 9, 2014, 17:44:

Doesn't matter that it shifted from manufacturing to service and knowledge.

Except these are being globalized at a rate arguably exceeding that of manufacturing. Meanwhile American students are dumb and dumber.

but but! Tablets in schools!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:44 PHJF

Doesn't matter that it shifted from manufacturing to service and knowledge.

Except these are being globalized at a rate arguably exceeding that of manufacturing. Meanwhile American students are dumb and dumber.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:37 Cutter

Atomic wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:55:
Rattlehead wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:23:
The fact is that with the economy in the ****ter, more jobs being shipped overseas or given to illegals, it's all that is becoming available for people.

You realize that a higher minimum wage does nothing to help this, and arguably, would make it worse?

That's why these things can't be addressed in a vacuum, and why these single issue protests are a fail from the start. You can't just jack up the wage without putting policies in place that address sending jobs offshore or dealing with the illegal immigration issue, or any other myriad related issues. It's just not that simple.

Raising the wage assumes that another two things will happen:

1) The CEO's will just "suck it up" and let that extra cash pull from their own investments.
2) That people will pay $5 to $7 for a McDonalds hamburger.

Not going to happen.

Worse, I'll think you'll see a final big push to fully automate those places - or as much as possible - and further erode the workforce. Couple that with the fact the world is vastly overpopulated and people doing work like this are the most easily replaced means they're dreaming if they think they'll win this in the end. I'm pulling for them but I'm also a realist.

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:35 xXBatmanXx

Fast food walk out? Who cares. No one should be eating there anyway. I guarantee they won't strike.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:34 Cutter

Doesn't matter that it shifted from manufacturing to service and knowledge. It's still about spreading the money around so the middle and blue class are actually buying stuff. And besides as oil prices continue to rise over the coming years and all those Asian workers start demanding more you'll see manufacturing slowly start to shift back domestically.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:32 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:54:
Elder Scrolls Online is 39.99 at Amazon.

That's still $39.98 too much.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:27 jdreyer

Hollywood blasted for 'supersizing' Godzilla.

Wow, funny that the Japanese are complaining that the new Godzilla is fat. The old ones were pretty portly themselves.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:25 Julio

Sorry, but this is the only country that caters to foreigners more than it's citizens.

Unfortunately no, Canada is bad too. We fire local workers and replace them with 'temporary foreign workers'. About 400,000 of them or so or 3% of the workforce. 25% of 'new jobs' are going to these temporary foreign workers.

Our corporations & government claim that there are no local workers for jobs at McDonalds, working in mines etc. When the reality is it's cheaper for companies to use foreign labour locally, so they all lie about it.

I don't work for any of those jobs, but I've seen similar where I work. Fire the local employees, and force them to train foreign workers brought in to the country if they want severance.

Corporations run the governments.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 17:18 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:54:

Who cares about games??! We're talking about wage inequality and climate change!

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 16:55 Atomic

The fact is that with the economy in the ****ter, more jobs being shipped overseas or given to illegals, it's all that is becoming available for people.

You realize that a higher minimum wage does nothing to help this, and arguably, would make it worse?

That's why these things can't be addressed in a vacuum, and why these single issue protests are a fail from the start. You can't just jack up the wage without putting policies in place that address sending jobs offshore or dealing with the illegal immigration issue, or any other myriad related issues. It's just not that simple.

Raising the wage assumes that another two things will happen:

1) The CEO's will just "suck it up" and let that extra cash pull from their own investments.
2) That people will pay $5 to $7 for a McDonalds hamburger.

Not going to happen.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 16:54 xXBatmanXx

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo