Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Free Unreal Tournament Plans

"The Future of Unreal Tournament Begins Today" declares the Unreal Engine website, where Epic's Steve Polge outlines plans for public development of the next installment in the Unreal Tournament series, which will be released as an entirely free game for Windows, OS X, and Linux, not just a free-to-play dealie. Here's the explanation of their business model for the multiplayer shooter: "We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game." Here's the deal:

Work on the future of Unreal Tournament begins today, and we’re happy to announce that we’re going to do this together, with you. We know that fans of the game are as passionate about Unreal Tournament as we are. We know that you have great ideas and strong opinions about where the game should go and what it should be. So let’s do something radical and make this game together, in the open, and for all of us.

HERE’S THE PLAN:

• We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
  • From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
  • If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
  • All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
  • The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
  • Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

SO WHAT’S THE CATCH?

• It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
  • When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
  • We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out. Things will probably definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.

WANT TO GET INVOLVED?

• Want more detail on the project? Read our wiki.
  • Want to participate & give feedback? Check out the forums, and sign up for a free account here to join Unreal Engine 4 community.
  • Just interested in getting updates? Subscribe to our newsletter here at the bottom right of our page.
  • In case you want to check out the classic Unreal Tournament games, they will be on sale here starting tomorrow, for 50% off!

Follow us at /UnrealEngine on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, YouTube, Instagram and Google+.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 14, 2014, 15:55 jdreyer

Ant wrote on May 10, 2014, 18:59:
I always <3ed Assault in UT games.

MUST. HAVE. ASSAULT!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 10, 2014, 18:59 Ant

I always <3ed Assault in UT games.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

52. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 20:49 BobBob

Nice work Epic. On the other hand ...

http://www.lamerkatz.com/stories/q3_vs_ut.shtml

51. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 15:55 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on May 9, 2014, 09:00:
A whole lot of baseless assumptions going on in this thread. Nickel and diming a game whose heyday was 10 years ago is a great way to kill its chances at launch by splitting fans apart. If Epic is that stupid then just reinstall the still awesome originals.

And it's pretty clear which one of you never played UT online. With the sheer number of mods and mutators it was a clusterfuck. Dedicated servers and groups of friends was an absolute necessity. The best mod teams turned into real studios. We'll have to wait and see if Epic remembers and does it right.

Or you can bitch.

Yeah, it was all those powerups, mutators, & game modes that made UT so much fun IMO. Usually though you could see what was in play before you joined the game.

50. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 09:10 entr0py

This is a fine idea as long as Epic puts enough time and resources into it to make the base game solid. Other developers can't be expected to fix the game, they can only be expected to add to the game.

As for how to avoid fragmentation, they could require that all maps and mutators be free. Then the paid DLC would be limited to character models, skins, weapons and vehicles. Server admins could choose which premium weapons/vehicles/classes to allow, but anyone could play on any server with the standard kit.

49. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 09:00 Mad Max RW

A whole lot of baseless assumptions going on in this thread. Nickel and diming a game whose heyday was 10 years ago is a great way to kill its chances at launch by splitting fans apart. If Epic is that stupid then just reinstall the still awesome originals.

And it's pretty clear which one of you never played UT online. With the sheer number of mods and mutators it was a clusterfuck. Dedicated servers and groups of friends was an absolute necessity. The best mod teams turned into real studios. We'll have to wait and see if Epic remembers and does it right.

Or you can bitch.

48. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 08:43 nin

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 9, 2014, 02:07:
OK nin, I'm confused: you WANT to pay for it? What is the letdown?

^D^

You WANT to be nickel and dimed for maps and mutators? Do you not remember the diablo auction house?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 06:16 InBlack

Not to mention the huge balancing issues if they let people tinker with basically everything.

Team Fortress works because the core of the game is contained and very well balanced. None of the items you can buy altered the very fine tuned aspects of the game.

Unless they make some kind of official servers where everything has to be kosher, UT will turn into a clusterfuck of Epic proportions. Lets hope they make the core game good enough so that the mods addons will be optional rather than 'mandatory'...

I have a nifty blue line!

46. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 05:57 jdreyer

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 9, 2014, 02:07:

^D^

Well, c'mon, free to play games have a pretty awful rep. So it's hard to blame nin for poo-pooing it. However, it sounds like (and this remains to be seen) that they recognize this rep and are trying to say "We'll make the game completely free with no strings, and make the revenue back by taking a small % of the community created stuff that users sell." I have a few thoughts on this:

1. Will they make a game equivalent in scope to previous games in the series? Will it have all the modes of previous games? Will it have a dozen or more maps for each mode: DM, TDM, CTF, Vehicle CTF, Assault, Bomber Run, etc? Will it have a few dozen character models to choose from? Will it have a dozen or so different weapons? Will it offer anything new?

2. Will they make their money back? Will enough people create content AND charge for it such that Epic makes back what they put in? The tradition of this game has been to create things and release them for free. Will that continue, or will people charge?

45. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 03:57 InBlack

yuastnav wrote on May 9, 2014, 03:50:
jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:43:
I want someone to recreate Hall of Giants. Best CTF map ever.

Oh my god, yes! This map was a blast!

How much are you gonna charge for it?

I have a nifty blue line!

44. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 03:50 yuastnav

Oh my god, yes! This map was a blast!

43. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 02:15 Alamar

Sounds like it's time to revive CTF-HouseOfCards and RPUT... : )

-Alamar

42. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 02:07 ^Drag0n^

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

41. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 23:20 ViRGE

Wow, now there's a map I haven't seen in years.

40. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 22:47 nin

Huh, never heard of that map, but it looks cool. I need to reinstall UT99...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 22:43 jdreyer

38. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 22:18 killer_roach

Basically this is going to be for Epic what TF2 is for Valve - a teaser product that gets end users into the real business of the company. Valve wants you messing around with the marketplace and hopefully making purchases on Steam, and Epic wants you messing around with UT's code and maps if it means you're more likely to start developing with UE4 and selling content through them.

As far as paid content goes - it seems pretty likely that paid-for maps, skins, and small scale mods are doomed to go nowhere for the most part. Nobody wants to pick up stuff that they can't use, and there'll be free equivalents for a lot of it anyway. For well-made large scale maps and full game conversions, however - there may be a market. Nonetheless, I expect the first handful of paid maps the community comes up with will be a bazillion versions of Facing Worlds, but that's to be expected.

37. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 19:47 Optional Nickname!

Attempting to recreate the UT (99/2004) experience with current hardware is folly. The UE4 engine is probably better suited for a remake of Hexen which, based on its hub-and-spoke level design, would fit very nicely with the pieces-parts business model presented.

36. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 18:33 ventry

siapnar wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:37:
KTR wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:35:
Business model seems fine to me. Pretty confident that all the popular mods/content will be free anyways.
I like the optimism, it's refreshing

Yeah well kid....
The longer you live the more the corporate world beats the optimism out of you.

35. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 18:14 ViRGE

Primalchrome wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:46:
ViRGE wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:35:
F2P and the junk marketplace all but ruined TF2. So I believe there's legitimate reason to be concerned.
By what metric?
By the metric of being a good game. Since it went P2W it became an unholy mish-mash of unbalanced weapons and increasingly uglier character decorations and weapons. Valve's much-vaunted (at the time) TF2 art style and the subtle design choices that went with that (e.g. distinct character silhouettes) has been thrown completely out the window, as has any real effort to balance the game.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo