Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WildStar Beta Open To All

The WildStar website announces that the promised open beta testing WildStar is now available. Here's a new trailer celebrating the news, and here's word:

NCSOFT® and Carbine Studios™ today announced that their upcoming action-adventure sci-fi MMO, WildStar® has entered Open Beta and will be available to fans 24/7 for the next 10 days. With the influx of new players a brand new European datacentre has been switched on to allow for a smoother game experience. NCSOFT and Carbine Studios welcome all players to explore WildStar, whether they are already familiar with the legendary planet Nexus or not, prior to the worldwide launch on Tuesday, 3rd June.

The announcement of Open Beta is also accompanied with a new trailer from Carbine Studios highlighting the background story of the game. The level cap has also been raised to 30 and the first localised German and French versions are available for testing. European players with existing characters will seamlessly be able to continue their adventures on the European servers.

Those new to WildStar can visit www.wildstar-online.com/en/openbeta for instructions and access, and players that have already participated in any previous WildStar beta event can log on with their current accounts.

To kick off the Open Beta, Carbine Studios is hosting a 30 minute Livestream on its Twitch Channel today at 20:00 CEST (www.twitch.tv/wildstar) where the developers will give a state of the game update and share their thoughts on exactly why WildStar is going to kick ass and disrupt the MMO category. The team will be back on Friday, 9th with a six-hour developer Livestream featuring a slew of content starting at 20:00 CEST, including play-by-play of some exciting raids and Warplots activity, a sneak peek into higher level Open Beta content and turn the it into a massive social ‘Ask Me Anything’, opening up every social platform to take questions – Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, Twitter, Forums, Twitch, Vine and maybe even MySpace to name a few.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 18:35 Deepjay

I love this game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 17:52 Creston

NKD wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:40:
Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:32:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 13:04:
It will be a better raiding game for hardcore players who want a challenge, that I will say for sure.

I'm curious as to how many people that will actually bring to the table, though? Enough to sustain an entire MMO?

Time will tell, but they picked the right time to launch. WoW raiders are incredibly bored right now due to lack of content. Then Wildstar comes along, with hard dungeons and the promise of even harder raids, and a pretty clear focus. It's got all the stuff raiders want. It's not just a game that technically has raids, like SWTOR. There's already a pretty solid community forming around the game. There are a ton of add-ons already, logging sites, data mining sites, theorycrafting, all that stuff, to a degree I haven't really seen in a while. That's not to say all there is to do is raid, but the focus seems to be there. (The player housing system is really fucking cool though. That's something you don't see much.)

How many people would you estimate raid in WoW? Thousands? Millions?

One guy was saying that MMOs need to appeal to as many players as possible, but I don't think that's really a feasible approach anymore. You cannot keep a huge player base around in the long term any more. MMO players want all kinds of different things in their MMOs, and they are not willing to settle for a one-size-fits-all MMO for more than a free month.

Yeah I don't think that works either. If you try to make something "for everyone", then what you end up making is 80000 things haphazardly thrown together, with nothing having had much time spent on it, and all those players will soon quit when they finish the tiny portion of your game that they like.

I agree that it's much better to just say "We'll focus on this one aspect, and make it the best there is in that," and then hope that the people who enjoy said aspect (in this case raiding) will stick around.

Keep your game design focused, and don't spend $300 million making the thing, and you can have a successful MMO with long term player retention. Yeah, some forum idiots are going to call your game a "failure" for not having 5 million subscribers, but as long as your game is profitable and your player base, after the launch bubble pops, is happy and supplied with content, you win.

Sadly, most publishers will call that game a failure then, too, because "fuckdammit, someone said we'd make WoW money!"

36. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:43 Mikus_Aurelius

I'm curious as to how many people that will actually bring to the table, though? Enough to sustain an entire MMO?

I've seen a couple people bring up the idea that a hardcore only MMO can't survive. I'm not sure I buy it. There's plenty of precedent for MMOs with a few hundred thousand subscribers being healthy for years. In general, I think niche MMO's can make it, whether that niche is the hardcore, kids, space sim junkies, RPers, whatever.

That said, a developer should match its budget to a realistic estimate of the subscriber base. If the Wildstar devs pitched a hardcore MMORPG, NCsoft should have given them a niche game budget.

35. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:42 Cutter

It will be a better raiding game for hardcore players who want a challenge, that I will say for sure.

This thing is over before it begins.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:40 NKD

Time will tell, but they picked the right time to launch. WoW raiders are incredibly bored right now due to lack of content. Then Wildstar comes along, with hard dungeons and the promise of even harder raids, and a pretty clear focus. It's got all the stuff raiders want. It's not just a game that technically has raids, like SWTOR. There's already a pretty solid community forming around the game. There are a ton of add-ons already, logging sites, data mining sites, theorycrafting, all that stuff, to a degree I haven't really seen in a while. That's not to say all there is to do is raid, but the focus seems to be there. (The player housing system is really fucking cool though. That's something you don't see much.)

One guy was saying that MMOs need to appeal to as many players as possible, but I don't think that's really a feasible approach anymore. You cannot keep a huge player base around in the long term any more. MMO players want all kinds of different things in their MMOs, and they are not willing to settle for a one-size-fits-all MMO for more than a free month.

Keep your game design focused, and don't spend $300 million making the thing, and you can have a successful MMO with long term player retention. Yeah, some forum idiots are going to call your game a "failure" for not having 5 million subscribers, but as long as your game is profitable and your player base, after the launch bubble pops, is happy and supplied with content, you win.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

33. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:38 ColoradoHoudini

Ceribaen-
It's different for sure! I heal on my Esper, and I have telegraphs and AoE non-targeted heals. For one of my heals, it lays down a long strip of healing space in front of me. To you as someone I want to heal, you'd see a green line.. something like 25 foot of a green space. If you stood in it, you'd get healed. So for me, I need to line up people I want to heal with. It's not simple as just clicking and healing. However, there are healing spells that are click and heal, ans well as AoE heals you'd find in other MMOs. The telegraph system is pretty cool though, it's different.. it makes you have to position yourself correctly, and not just sleepwalk through healing like I have done in other MMOs.

Creston- The game has so much more than just end game raiding.. but the devs have said that for end game raiders, they will have a good challenge. Will there be a big enough base to sustain the game.. I don't know. You could say that about any MMO that doesnt already have a base. Look what Rift did.. unknown IP.. came in and did well. I don't see why Carbine can't do that with Wildstar.

I'll say this.. if Blizzard/Valve made WS.. it'd be insanely popular.

32. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:32 ColoradoHoudini

Gadzooks wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:27:
Reasons I wont be playing Wildstar after having been in the beta for several months:

1. Game performs AWFUL. Very close to release and the devs still say "We havent optimized the game yet" Sorry, this close to release, there isnt going to be a magic patch. No reason that a cartoon game should drop to under 30 FPS at ANY point in the game on a high end system.

2. Game blatantly is aimed at you being higher level in order to have fun. This isnt typical WoW "You cant do raids and stuff until max level". This is "The game is boring as hell for the first 35 levels". Even WoW had fun gameplay at low levels. It just wasnt raid content with uber gear. Games should be fun from the moment you log in, and wildstar... isnt.

3. Large PvP is an unbalanced mess and a ridiculous AoE spamfest. Watch how in the first month of release, everyone in PvP will be medics and engineers.

4. Quests in the game are more dull and boring than quests in WoW were at release. "Run around the room and find me these 4 books" Really? How is this fun? Not to mention, most quest chains seem incomplete and have no real finale to them. Do step 1, then step 2, then step ... wait... no step 3? What? Thats it? Sigh.

5. The sheer lack of video options and forced video settings is absurd in a modern day game. Overuse of bloom and full screen glow effect, blurry filters, and awful view distance make this game a headache to look at. Unless this up coming beta adds new video options that let you enable/disable these things, there is no excuse for the game NOT to have them.

Those are just the 5 main reasons I wont be playing Wildstar at release. Maybe in 12 months, after they have had time to really finalize the game, add things needed, and fix stuff, ill give a try. I hope its still a sub game then, because I really hate F2P. Cant help but thing it will be F2P by then however, since the game doesnt make a great first impression.

1. the game was optimized in this release. Also, on my old i2500k, 6970, 16gig PC.. the game runs without a single hiccup.

2. I have fun and I'm not raiding. I have fun doing the Dungeons, the Adventures, the Shiphands, the group quests, the PvP, the challenge quests, the path quests, building my house, doing events at other peoples houses (yes, you heard that right), and general questing.

3. I've had fun in PvP. In both PvP battlegrounds I've done, the flow has been good. The multi stage of the second battleground gave the fight a good flow.

4. See 2

5. I have zero video issues and the game looks great for me.. and I'm on an older system.

31. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:00 Ceribaen

EvilAsh wrote on May 8, 2014, 14:16:
To suggest this game is a wow clone .. is like Saying that Checkers is a clone of Chess. This is an action combat mmo rpg. ACtion combat is NOTHING like the control system in wow. Nothing. There is no tab targeting. ITs skill based controls. Thats right.. your skill is what matters. There is double jump, There is side rolls. All controlled by you. you have to aim at players to hit them. Thats right no auto target no auto hit. There is no insane CC that dominates the pvp seen. You will not get cc into the ground. The game has humor yes.. its like Borderlands 2 style humor. Its got awesome housing. Its got Tough dungeons..that will last a while. Yes tough dungeons.. and the idea is that you level up doing these dungeons to get you prepared for raiding down the road.. Oh and there is raiding content as you level up as well. AT level 10 you can experience your first 20 man world boss. And yes it has open world pvp oh yeah!!

So you're saying it's more like an MMO BL2 or Defiance (or more like Tera Online?)

How does healing work without tab targets?

30. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:32 Creston

29. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:31 BitWraith

Fibrocyte wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:13:
Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

Hey - here's a list of MMO games I have paid cash-money for:
(FTP games are NOT listed. Some of these became FTP after I purchased)

Ultima Online (plus Second Age)
Everquest (plus four expansions up to Luclin)
Star Wars Galaxies
Everquest 2 (Plus Desserts of Flame, Sentinal's Fate)
World of Warcraft (Plus all expansions)
Dark Age of Camelot
Anarchy Online (plus two expansions)
The Secret World
Guild Wars
Guild Wars 2
The Old Republic
Eve Online (bought 2 copies)
The Elder Scrolls Online
Lineage 2
Asheron's Call 2
City of Heroes
Tabula Rasa (2 copies - I liked this game)
Vanguard - Saga of Heroes
Horizons (yes, I bought this)
Shadowbane
Planetside
Lord of the Rings Online (plus all expansions - am lifetime subscriber)
Rift (plus expansion)
Final Fantasy 14 (PRE reborn)
Final Fantasy 11
Aion
Age of Conan
Warhammer Online
Dungeons and Dragons Online

I'm sure I am leaving some out. THIS ISN'T MY FIRST RODEO. 3/4 of those games either sucked ass, or left me hanging somehow. The most common "leave me hanging" company is NCSOFT, who happens to be selling the game you guys are advertising for. So, you'll understand why I am trigger shy about buying another one.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2014, 15:47.

28. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:27 Gadzooks

Reasons I wont be playing Wildstar after having been in the beta for several months:

1. Game performs AWFUL. Very close to release and the devs still say "We havent optimized the game yet" Sorry, this close to release, there isnt going to be a magic patch. No reason that a cartoon game should drop to under 30 FPS at ANY point in the game on a high end system.

2. Game blatantly is aimed at you being higher level in order to have fun. This isnt typical WoW "You cant do raids and stuff until max level". This is "The game is boring as hell for the first 35 levels". Even WoW had fun gameplay at low levels. It just wasnt raid content with uber gear. Games should be fun from the moment you log in, and wildstar... isnt.

3. Large PvP is an unbalanced mess and a ridiculous AoE spamfest. Watch how in the first month of release, everyone in PvP will be medics and engineers.

4. Quests in the game are more dull and boring than quests in WoW were at release. "Run around the room and find me these 4 books" Really? How is this fun? Not to mention, most quest chains seem incomplete and have no real finale to them. Do step 1, then step 2, then step ... wait... no step 3? What? Thats it? Sigh.

5. The sheer lack of video options and forced video settings is absurd in a modern day game. Overuse of bloom and full screen glow effect, blurry filters, and awful view distance make this game a headache to look at. Unless this up coming beta adds new video options that let you enable/disable these things, there is no excuse for the game NOT to have them.

Those are just the 5 main reasons I wont be playing Wildstar at release. Maybe in 12 months, after they have had time to really finalize the game, add things needed, and fix stuff, ill give a try. I hope its still a sub game then, because I really hate F2P. Cant help but thing it will be F2P by then however, since the game doesnt make a great first impression.

27. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:26 LittleMe

What about this concern that all the higher level content hasn't been tested/polished nearly as much as the lower levels??

I'm interested in the game. I played the beta a few weeks back. Found it entertaining up to level 11.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

26. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:22 Verno

Fibrocyte wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:13:
This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

Everyone says this about every MMO though. I'll try it out for myself later and see what it's like.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

25. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:13 Fibrocyte

Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

24. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:54 Mr. Tact

Not surprisingly a wide selection of viewpoints to choose from. I think I'll try to find some time to get a go.. see what I think.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:52 BitWraith

I haven't played it yet. I may try the free weekend. I am MMO savvy, though, and what I've seen so far does not lead em to believe that this game will buck the Subscription MMO trend of failure.  

22. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:47 ColoradoHoudini

EvilAsh-
You nailed it! Thanks for coming and posting.

Darks:

I don't doubt that the game may end up with more casual friendly raiding.. but that's a gamble that as of right now, the devs are willing to take on.

on F2P:
I hate the F2P model and hiding things behind the paywall. I also have my own personal opinion that F2P is a devs way of saying "we give up..we can't or won't create more content". The content isn't worth charging for and they couldn't justify making people pay for nothing to do. Like in GW2.. there's NOTHING to do at level cap. Oh another cheap 3 minute fashion show quest.. done. Now what? You can't charge for nothing to do. SWTOR was a failure and they couldnt charge for it after a short while.

WS has things to do for everyone.. raiding aside. It might not be 15 worth of someones money for the content (subject to their interpretation).. but 15 a month for me is 1 lunch. WS gives me much more entertainment for that price. I may not have time to hardcore raid, and even with that in mind, I know that there are more casual guilds out there that cater to what I can put in effort wise.

I normally agree with what most Bluesnews people say regarding games, but this time around.. I am against the grain. I think WS is an amazing game and it has longevity. So much so.. I am nervous about picking my main because I feel that I could be playing one toon for years! I had no such anxiety picking my Shaman in WoW..but had I known I would've played that game for years.. my class decision would've made me a nervous wreck!

21. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:16 EvilAsh

To suggest this game is a wow clone .. is like Saying that Checkers is a clone of Chess. This is an action combat mmo rpg. ACtion combat is NOTHING like the control system in wow. Nothing. There is no tab targeting. ITs skill based controls. Thats right.. your skill is what matters. There is double jump, There is side rolls. All controlled by you. you have to aim at players to hit them. Thats right no auto target no auto hit. There is no insane CC that dominates the pvp seen. You will not get cc into the ground. The game has humor yes.. its like Borderlands 2 style humor. Its got awesome housing. Its got Tough dungeons..that will last a while. Yes tough dungeons.. and the idea is that you level up doing these dungeons to get you prepared for raiding down the road.. Oh and there is raiding content as you level up as well. AT level 10 you can experience your first 20 man world boss. And yes it has open world pvp oh yeah!!  

20. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:09 Omni

F2P next year.

Don't like the monthly fees for MMOs since I can't take them seriously any more.
Just do like a Guild Wars model pay once play all you want to.

19. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:07 Mordecai Walfish

Played the beta & its boring as hell.. just the generic feeling of starting with the two different classes i played and their cookie-cutter starting areas was my first introduction to the utter blandness of this game.. and it doesnt stray far from generic mmo formula anywhere i saw, playing over level 15 with 2 chars.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo