Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WildStar Beta Open To All

The WildStar website announces that the promised open beta testing WildStar is now available. Here's a new trailer celebrating the news, and here's word:

NCSOFT® and Carbine Studios™ today announced that their upcoming action-adventure sci-fi MMO, WildStar® has entered Open Beta and will be available to fans 24/7 for the next 10 days. With the influx of new players a brand new European datacentre has been switched on to allow for a smoother game experience. NCSOFT and Carbine Studios welcome all players to explore WildStar, whether they are already familiar with the legendary planet Nexus or not, prior to the worldwide launch on Tuesday, 3rd June.

The announcement of Open Beta is also accompanied with a new trailer from Carbine Studios highlighting the background story of the game. The level cap has also been raised to 30 and the first localised German and French versions are available for testing. European players with existing characters will seamlessly be able to continue their adventures on the European servers.

Those new to WildStar can visit www.wildstar-online.com/en/openbeta for instructions and access, and players that have already participated in any previous WildStar beta event can log on with their current accounts.

To kick off the Open Beta, Carbine Studios is hosting a 30 minute Livestream on its Twitch Channel today at 20:00 CEST (www.twitch.tv/wildstar) where the developers will give a state of the game update and share their thoughts on exactly why WildStar is going to kick ass and disrupt the MMO category. The team will be back on Friday, 9th with a six-hour developer Livestream featuring a slew of content starting at 20:00 CEST, including play-by-play of some exciting raids and Warplots activity, a sneak peek into higher level Open Beta content and turn the it into a massive social ‘Ask Me Anything’, opening up every social platform to take questions – Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, Twitter, Forums, Twitch, Vine and maybe even MySpace to name a few.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 12, 2014, 09:19 Mr. Tact

Rats! Forgot about trying this over the weekend.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 12, 2014, 08:53 BitWraith

Fibrocyte wrote on May 10, 2014, 14:14:
BitWraith wrote on May 9, 2014, 20:27:
EvilAsh wrote on May 8, 2014, 14:16:
To suggest this game is a wow clone .. is like Saying that Checkers is a clone of Chess. This is an action combat mmo rpg. ACtion combat is NOTHING like the control system in wow. Nothing. There is no tab targeting. ITs skill based controls. Thats right.. your skill is what matters. There is double jump, There is side rolls. All controlled by you. you have to aim at players to hit them. Thats right no auto target no auto hit. There is no insane CC that dominates the pvp seen. You will not get cc into the ground. The game has humor yes.. its like Borderlands 2 style humor. Its got awesome housing. Its got Tough dungeons..that will last a while. Yes tough dungeons.. and the idea is that you level up doing these dungeons to get you prepared for raiding down the road.. Oh and there is raiding content as you level up as well. AT level 10 you can experience your first 20 man world boss. And yes it has open world pvp oh yeah!!

I played the game tonight. This comment is officially bullshit. I can confirm that the game is indeed WoW with (a very shitty I might add) sci-fi paint job. The music sucks. The interface is AWFUL (it keeps putting up windows in front of what you need to be looking at). The graphics suck. It certainly doesn't perform as well as it should with graphics that suck this badly. AND, it's still hotbar based combat.

Why are people excited for this?

I've played the game for more than just 1 night and your comment is officially bullshit.

I doubt many people are going to give this game the time that you have. I certainly won't. It only takes me one night to apply this game to my own metric scale: Is it better than WoW? No? Pass, NEXT!

56. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 10, 2014, 18:57 Ant

BitWraith wrote on May 8, 2014, 13:28:
I've been playing MMOs (almost all of them) since UO. Here's what I've learned: It's not the cry babies on the forums that you have to worry about. It's the silent, married, full-time job having casual player that's going to kill the game.

Why? I fall into the above category (this post excluded). I raided hardcore Molten Core, BWL, AQ and Naxx. Eventually, I got a career, got married, and now I just do not have the time to do what I once did.

So, If I did make it to end game, I would rapidly run out of stuff to do. I guess this is why I still play GW2 so much, because it really caters to my playstyle.
Heh, me too with a full-time job, but I am not married. However, I am too tired to play games. Well, maybe turned based games that can take hours to days (one lasted over a week!).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

55. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 10, 2014, 14:14 Fibrocyte

To suggest this game is a wow clone .. is like Saying that Checkers is a clone of Chess. This is an action combat mmo rpg. ACtion combat is NOTHING like the control system in wow. Nothing. There is no tab targeting. ITs skill based controls. Thats right.. your skill is what matters. There is double jump, There is side rolls. All controlled by you. you have to aim at players to hit them. Thats right no auto target no auto hit. There is no insane CC that dominates the pvp seen. You will not get cc into the ground. The game has humor yes.. its like Borderlands 2 style humor. Its got awesome housing. Its got Tough dungeons..that will last a while. Yes tough dungeons.. and the idea is that you level up doing these dungeons to get you prepared for raiding down the road.. Oh and there is raiding content as you level up as well. AT level 10 you can experience your first 20 man world boss. And yes it has open world pvp oh yeah!!

I played the game tonight. This comment is officially bullshit. I can confirm that the game is indeed WoW with (a very shitty I might add) sci-fi paint job. The music sucks. The interface is AWFUL (it keeps putting up windows in front of what you need to be looking at). The graphics suck. It certainly doesn't perform as well as it should with graphics that suck this badly. AND, it's still hotbar based combat.

I've played the game for more than just 1 night and your comment is officially bullshit.

54. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 10, 2014, 11:23 Smellfinger

There's always an initial buzz when a new big-budget MMO launches, but it never takes long for the bloom to leave the rose. The comments are always the same, too: 'Yeah, it does a lot of things that WoW has been doing for years, but it does them better! The combat is more actiony! It's more sandboxy!'

Wake me up when From Software makes an MMO.

53. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 10, 2014, 08:04 Fibrocyte

Ceribaen wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:03:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:38:
Ceribaen-
It's different for sure! I heal on my Esper, and I have telegraphs and AoE non-targeted heals. For one of my heals, it lays down a long strip of healing space in front of me. To you as someone I want to heal, you'd see a green line.. something like 25 foot of a green space. If you stood in it, you'd get healed. So for me, I need to line up people I want to heal with. It's not simple as just clicking and healing. However, there are healing spells that are click and heal, ans well as AoE heals you'd find in other MMOs. The telegraph system is pretty cool though, it's different.. it makes you have to position yourself correctly, and not just sleepwalk through healing like I have done in other MMOs.

Creston- The game has so much more than just end game raiding.. but the devs have said that for end game raiders, they will have a good challenge. Will there be a big enough base to sustain the game.. I don't know. You could say that about any MMO that doesnt already have a base. Look what Rift did.. unknown IP.. came in and did well. I don't see why Carbine can't do that with Wildstar.

I'll say this.. if Blizzard/Valve made WS.. it'd be insanely popular.

Downloaded it last night - gave it a quick spin before work this morning... finished out the tutorial area I think (have the choice now as to which area I want to go to and leaving the Ark Ship behind).

I'll say this - the music is nice. First mmo in a while I didn't want to turn sound off and just listen to my own stuff.

Made myself an Esper - combat is... different. Not used to having to stand still to attack (is this for all classes or just some abilities?) Otherwise has a bit of a GW2 feel about it (as a recent comparison).

I actually see this more as a crossover between WoW and GW2 from my first impressions in the tutorial.

Going to be spending my forseeable free time with it though to see what it's all about and maybe try an engineer too.

The way the minimap works isn't entirely intuitive though, I found myself more just clicking the quest to get the direction arrow to tell me where to go next.

I'll admit the tutorial area isn't the best (but it isn't horrible, either) and it doesn't take long to exit it.

The Esper does require you to stand still for many spells whereas the Engineer is a much more mobile class (fire on the move). Mobility varies from class to class, I've found.

I agree about the minimap to some extend. I ended up making it larger and then getting the zoom right so I can see most upcoming quest objectives at a glance without opening the big map. The game also has extensive addon support so any deficiencies in the default minimap will be resolved by the community, I'm sure.

52. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 22:19 NKD

It's been stated earlier in this thread and other ones why people are interested. It has the most fun and challenging dungeons available in an MMO right now, which is going to carry over into their raids, best player housing available, pretty solid PvP, the crafting is good. A great community with a lot of tools, addons, theorycrafting, even though the game hasn't even launched yet. Combat pacing, especially at higher levels, is a lot faster and more twitchy than other MMOs.

Lots of cool stuff that someone playing the first 5 levels by themselves isn't really going to experience. It's not a revolutionary MMO by any means, but their target audience is ex-MMO players who got tired of the focus on pulling in non-MMO players with a whizbang single-player and leveling experience with nothing waiting at the end.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

51. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 21:05 Glykon

Pathetic

Took me 3 hours to install and fortunately only 1 min to uninstall.

Incredibly bad. If you are 6-12 yrs old who never played any good game b4 I guess you can have some fun jumping around...

There are still some good F2P mmos out there. Avoid this shit

50. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 20:27 BitWraith

49. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 18:05 NKD

Ceribaen wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:03:

Made myself an Esper - combat is... different. Not used to having to stand still to attack (is this for all classes or just some abilities?) Otherwise has a bit of a GW2 feel about it (as a recent comparison).

Esper is the least mobile class. Other classes have a lot more freedom to move about without interrupting their casting etc.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

48. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 16:03 Ceribaen

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:38:
Ceribaen-
It's different for sure! I heal on my Esper, and I have telegraphs and AoE non-targeted heals. For one of my heals, it lays down a long strip of healing space in front of me. To you as someone I want to heal, you'd see a green line.. something like 25 foot of a green space. If you stood in it, you'd get healed. So for me, I need to line up people I want to heal with. It's not simple as just clicking and healing. However, there are healing spells that are click and heal, ans well as AoE heals you'd find in other MMOs. The telegraph system is pretty cool though, it's different.. it makes you have to position yourself correctly, and not just sleepwalk through healing like I have done in other MMOs.

Creston- The game has so much more than just end game raiding.. but the devs have said that for end game raiders, they will have a good challenge. Will there be a big enough base to sustain the game.. I don't know. You could say that about any MMO that doesnt already have a base. Look what Rift did.. unknown IP.. came in and did well. I don't see why Carbine can't do that with Wildstar.

I'll say this.. if Blizzard/Valve made WS.. it'd be insanely popular.

Downloaded it last night - gave it a quick spin before work this morning... finished out the tutorial area I think (have the choice now as to which area I want to go to and leaving the Ark Ship behind).

I'll say this - the music is nice. First mmo in a while I didn't want to turn sound off and just listen to my own stuff.

I actually see this more as a crossover between WoW and GW2 from my first impressions in the tutorial.

Going to be spending my forseeable free time with it though to see what it's all about and maybe try an engineer too.

The way the minimap works isn't entirely intuitive though, I found myself more just clicking the quest to get the direction arrow to tell me where to go next.

47. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 12:18 Jivaro

PropheT wrote on May 9, 2014, 02:18:
NKD wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:42:
What level did you get to?

Not high at all, but I'm not sure. It wasn't more than a handful of levels. Between the questing that seems designed for you to click through it and follow an arrow rather than actually get involved in it and struggling to do basic things with the UI I had no interest in forcing my way through in hopes that it gets better later. My problems with it aren't with lack of skills or abilities or the sorts of things that resolve as you level, it's the basic functionality and interface that I hate.

Yeah, it didn't grab me either...for many of the same reasons. There is a solid contingent of folks who do dig it though. It ain't for me but I think it will be around awhile if they stick to their design plan. If they backtrack and start trying please everyone, I see that going badly.

46. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 02:18 PropheT

NKD wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:42:

Not high at all, but I'm not sure. It wasn't more than a handful of levels. Between the questing that seems designed for you to click through it and follow an arrow rather than actually get involved in it and struggling to do basic things with the UI I had no interest in forcing my way through in hopes that it gets better later. My problems with it aren't with lack of skills or abilities or the sorts of things that resolve as you level, it's the basic functionality and interface that I hate.

45. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 23:49 Creston

NKD wrote on May 8, 2014, 21:43:
Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:52:
How many people would you estimate raid in WoW? Thousands? Millions?

It's hard to come by good numbers but looking here it looks like there are several hundred thousand in WoW who raid on the Normal or Heroic level (excluding the people who just queue for LFR or do Flex which doesn't really count.)

Plus that's just people who've raided in the last two tiers of content. If my guild is any indication there are a lot of people who haven't raided in MoP who are interested in Wildstar.

I think if they play their cards right they can get a player base big enough to sustain their game.

Yeah that's a seriously large number. I had no idea that many people were into it. If they cater well to that population, they should be able to keep this MMO afloat.

44. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 23:02 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:03:
Fibrocyte wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:13:
Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

I love MMO's, and play or have played most of them. After trying Wildstar again today I don't have anything positive to say about it, and I usually at least kind of like practically anything that's competent. Aside from the art and animations there really isn't anything I enjoyed about in my time I spent with it, and it still has the worst UI of any game I've played in recent memory even after they updated it.

I want to like it but really, really can't get into it at all. This game was hyped all to hell and it just sucks.

So far I'm leaning this way. It isn't really smooth, I get good frames but it isn't smooth when rapid turning and it puts me off. Combat just seems meh so far, the ground signals even for our output is just too much extra gfx to distract. I'll give a few more evenings though. The opening tutorial is poor. Player movement speed seems slow.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2014, 00:22.

43. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers May 8, 2014, 22:47 belowzeros

personally i found it pretty jarring at first (couple weekends ago). trying to quest was giving me a coronary because it seemed like some of the systems or UI prods were missing. Things got easier as I spent more time with it but there was a big hurdle at first for me. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. Lots of the systems are great but there is a feeling that some polish or something is missing from it's core. I can't put my finger on it yet.  

42. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 22:42 NKD

PropheT wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:03:
Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

I love MMO's, and play or have played most of them. After trying Wildstar again today I don't have anything positive to say about it, and I usually at least kind of like practically anything that's competent. Aside from the art and animations there really isn't anything I enjoyed about in my time I spent with it, and it still has the worst UI of any game I've played in recent memory even after they updated it.

I want to like it but really, really can't get into it at all. This game was hyped all to hell and it just sucks.

41. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 22:03 PropheT

40. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 21:43 NKD

Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:52:
How many people would you estimate raid in WoW? Thousands? Millions?

It's hard to come by good numbers but looking here it looks like there are several hundred thousand in WoW who raid on the Normal or Heroic level (excluding the people who just queue for LFR or do Flex which doesn't really count.)

Plus that's just people who've raided in the last two tiers of content. If my guild is any indication there are a lot of people who haven't raided in MoP who are interested in Wildstar.

I think if they play their cards right they can get a player base big enough to sustain their game.

39. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 18:50 Osc8r

Oh yay, another WOW... just what the genre needs.

RIP AC1 DT and UO.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo