Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game

GameInformer.com previews coverage of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare from their upcoming cover story on Sledgehammer's futuristic shooter sequel. They talk a little about the reasons for the new setting, and explain the emphasis being placed on realism, even though it is set almost 40 years from now. Here's word on that: "Advanced Warfare is the newest universe in Call of Duty, and it begins in 2052. Former Dead Space developers Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey (along with their talented team at Sledgehammer Games) have carried out an exhaustive level of research on future weaponry and technology, attempting to make their solo debut as authentic as possible. They’ve consulted with the government, futurists, and scientists to ensure that Advanced Warfare is a realistic vision of our future rather than a lazy collection of robots and lasers."

There's also more from that article on MP1st where they got their hands on the print issue where Sledgehammer discusses some of the history of the project, saying part of the reason Sledgehammer bosses parted EA out of fear of  "franchise fatigue." Oddly, in light of that concern, they quote Glen Schofield saying their cancelled game in a Vietnam setting was "definitely going for some Dead Space moments." Finally, GameSpot has parlayed its investment in the magazine into a preview of the game. They say this is running on an unspecified engine, that Sledgehammer is handling the Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 editions, and that the game takes a global counter-terrorism theme. There's also a description of a Crysis-style exosuit: "You'll earn points every mission that can be used to upgrade your EXO suit. Using the EXO suit, you can climb walls with magnetic gloves, boost-dodge toward cover, perform super-jumps that let you get to higher ground, use optic camouflage for cloaking, and hover in mid-air."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 6, 2014, 04:48 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2014, 01:06:
Beamer wrote on May 5, 2014, 20:41:
As for the whole realism/tech argument? Who cares? Some dweeb discussed realism. In actuality it's scifi grounded in scientific fact, though exaggerated, rather than pure fantasy. So what?

Less suspension of disbelief required. Lightsabers are cool and all, but they won't exist even 1000 years from now. Exoskeletons and adaptive camouflage likely will, and it's cool to see the probable future rendered with thought and realism.

Except we are talking about a Call of Duty game, reinforcing the super power propaganda with ideas stolen from Elysium, Titanfall and House of Cards. Yeah lots of original thought and realism. Hah.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 6, 2014, 01:06 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on May 5, 2014, 20:41:
As for the whole realism/tech argument? Who cares? Some dweeb discussed realism. In actuality it's scifi grounded in scientific fact, though exaggerated, rather than pure fantasy. So what?

Less suspension of disbelief required. Lightsabers are cool and all, but they won't exist even 1000 years from now. Exoskeletons and adaptive camouflage likely will, and it's cool to see the probable future rendered with thought and realism.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

25. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 20:41 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:57:
Fion wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:28:
Heh no I had no idea. But that actually worsens my opinion of the series.

But it may promote innovation...

It definitely promotes innovation. Whether the innovation is good, or enough, remains to be seen, but the games will be less stagnant, undoubtedly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 19:57 eRe4s3r

But it may promote innovation...

23. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 19:57 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 18:19:
DarkCntry wrote on May 5, 2014, 15:28:
Stop trying to Cutter-up the conversation due to a reading comprehension problem and implementing red herrings.

Do you deny the existence of exosuits? Optic camouflage? Devices that allow climbers to adhere to specific surfaces?

What are you smoking? Show me one exoskeleton that does one of those things. We had jet packs in the 50s and they still haven't changed. We've had robots since then too and even for the ones that can walk it's just barely. You're on fucking crack if you think HALO style powered armor suits are going to be showing up anytime soon. You're the one with comprehension problems. Reality comprehension.

Typical Cutter wit...no actual semblance to being capable of reading something, instead heading directly into attacking.

As have been pointed out quite a few times, there's examples of prototypes and other material being created that, within the time frame that the game is stated, could in fact be realistic.

Of course, however, you seem to be hellbent on throwing red herring after red herring...you really should be a fisherman. I mean, really, who said anything about HALO-style powered armor?

22. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 19:31 harlock

it seems some of you guys like to argue with brick walls  

21. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 19:16 Trevellian

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 18:19:
Stop trying to Cutter-up the conversation due to a reading comprehension problem and implementing red herrings.

Do you deny the existence of exosuits? Optic camouflage? Devices that allow climbers to adhere to specific surfaces?

What are you smoking? Show me one exoskeleton that does one of those things. We had jet packs in the 50s and they still haven't changed. We've had robots since then too and even for the ones that can walk it's just barely. You're on fucking crack if you think HALO style powered armor suits are going to be showing up anytime soon. You're the one with comprehension problems. Reality comprehension.

Just playing devil's advocate here. As I could care one shit about the COD series... but:
http://youtu.be/p2W23ysgWKI this is the HULC exoskeleton.
And you can easily search YouTube for many different versions of adaptive or optic camouflage that are in development.

The arguement isn't whether these things can do what they say they can RIGHT NOW, it's whether the technology can advance to be able to do those things 40 years from now. Which unless every military scientist on the planet becomes braindead is more than possible to happen.

Fourty.... Years.... not "Anytime soon"

Edit: Also after watching the trailer of the game on Steam, with the exception of the 1 or 2 guys who have the Crysis-style suits on. All the other soldiers with "Exo Skeletons" are more or less wearing the HULC Exsoskeleton, arms and leg braces. Elysium style more or less.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 19:29.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

20. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 18:19 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:48 Shineyguy

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:16:
Fion wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:14:
I don't see this game being any better than the last few MW games. How good could it be when they have less than a year to make it?
You do realize that there are 3 different studios working on this franchise now right?
Each studio takes it's turn to release a new game every 3 years.

Right, where before there were only two studios making a Call of Duty game (Infinity Ward and Treyarch), they only had 2 years to develop a full game. This, predictably, led to "more of the same" gameplay we've been seeing, and incredibly harsh crunch time environments for the developers (I know someone on the CoD team at Treyarch). Now that they have three studios working on a CoD game, all developers now have an extra year to devote to their title, and this should help with the quality and polish of each CoD title every year.

So, Sledghammer HAS actually been working on this game in quite some secret for the past 3 years, and with a new take on CoD I can't see this as being a bad thing.

I know the guy I know at Treyarch is thankful for the fact that they have 3 years to develop their game now, he has time to put more effort into the work that he is doing for their next iteration.

18. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:41 jdreyer

Previous games were all done on a 2 year schedule with Treyarch and Infinity Ward alternating years. This is the first game done on a three year schedule, and apparently all games going forward will also be done on 3 year dev cycles including Sledgehammer in the mix.

17. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:28 Fion

16. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:16 SpectralMeat

Fion wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:14:
I don't see this game being any better than the last few MW games. How good could it be when they have less than a year to make it?
You do realize that there are 3 different studios working on this franchise now right?
Each studio takes it's turn to release a new game every 3 years.

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:14 Fion

It's difficult to imagine technology 40 years from how because of how difficult it would have been 40 years ago. jdreyes example is good, but also imagine that the stealth technology was in development since the 50's but didn't see full realization for many, many years. Just imagine what the people at those secret companies are designing today that won't see fruition for 40 years!

One possible example based on emergent technology of today is nanomaterial clothing that is as thin as paper and as flexible as cloth yet can stop objects nearly as fast as bullets by becoming hard and resistant so insanely fast it hardens the nanosecond the bullet hits. Combine this with artificial muscle, exosuits and what have you and our future soldiers could be virtually super-human in their gear.

And this is all based off technologies being developed right now. Not to mention things like gene therapy that is doing amazing things today, let alone 40 years in the future.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 16:25.

14. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:05 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 15:20:
DarkCntry wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:56:
Not entirely sure what you mean with that...exoskeleton suits have been in development for a couple decades now, many of which have systems in place that use various aspects you quoted.

Then there's the optic camouflage that's been worked on for a few years. There's nothing non-realistic, albeit still almost all prototype stuff, in your quote.

Um, not quite. They're basically mechanical mules to carry stuff and nothing more. You just let us know the moment they're capable of super-jumps, hovering in mid-air, boost-dodging, etc. lol!

It's not hard to imagine something like this allowing 15-20' leaps into the air in 40 years time. Technology (assuming global warming doesn't kick us back to the stone age) accelerates exponentially. It has been the case over the past 200 years that the next 20 years of technological advancements will be equal to the past 100 years.

13. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 15:53 jdreyer

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:34:
explain the emphasis being placed on realism

Using the EXO suit, you can climb walls with magnetic gloves, boost-dodge toward cover, perform super-jumps that let you get to higher ground, use optic camouflage for cloaking, and hover in mid-air

LOL, the 'realism' didn't even make it to the end of their spiel.

This takes place in 2052. 40 years in the future. Do you think that in 1974 the military imagined any of the following:
- Soldiers sitting in AC'd trailers in Texas remote piloting drones over Afghanistan and dropping Hellfire missiles on insurgents.
- Computerized scopes that would let any novice make a headshot from 1000 meters out
- Jets that can cruise (non afterburner) past mach and have a radar cross section the size of a sparrow.
- Intelligence services being able to have access to every piece of world correspondence be it written, typed, spoken, broadcast, or otherwise transmitted like the NSA currently does.

Certainly they imagined or wished for some of these things, despite being basically pipe dreams at the time.

I think the game makes a decent effort at projecting tech trends 40 years into the future. It's COD so I get the negativity, but I think this is the best looking COD in years.

12. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 15:41 jdreyer

Rattlehead wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:10:

There's also more from that article on MP1st where they got their hands on the print issue where Sledgehammer discusses some of the history of the project, saying part of the reason Sledgehammer bosses parted EA out of fear of "franchise fatigue." Oddly, in light of that concern, they quote Glen Schofield saying their cancelled game in a Vietnam setting was "definitely going for some Dead Space moments."

Ok, am I reading this right, they left EA in fear of franchise fatigue and went to CoD? Is it me or should this be irony of the century award? Also, that Vietnam game sounds cool.

Yeah, a Vietnam FPS with some supernatural elements in it could have been amazing. What great atmosphere that would have had.

11. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 15:28 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 15:20:
Not entirely sure what you mean with that...exoskeleton suits have been in development for a couple decades now, many of which have systems in place that use various aspects you quoted.

Then there's the optic camouflage that's been worked on for a few years. There's nothing non-realistic, albeit still almost all prototype stuff, in your quote.

Um, not quite. They're basically mechanical mules to carry stuff and nothing more. You just let us know the moment they're capable of super-jumps, hovering in mid-air, boost-dodging, etc. lol!

10. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 15:22 Beamer

I think realism means "vaguely possible," as opposed to, say, what we had in games like UT or Sin.

Still seems a bad choice of words.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 15:20 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 13:56 DarkCntry

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:34:
explain the emphasis being placed on realism

Using the EXO suit, you can climb walls with magnetic gloves, boost-dodge toward cover, perform super-jumps that let you get to higher ground, use optic camouflage for cloaking, and hover in mid-air

LOL, the 'realism' didn't even make it to the end of their spiel.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo